Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

1 minute ago, jeremy123 said:

Anyone get info on the FCC that was supposed to be emailed by today? We were on the 4/14 sailing originally and got the email about cancellation, but no follow up about how to use the credit. 

We got ours today and went through our travel agent. Booked for June 2nd on Harmony.

1 hour ago, scottish67 said:

https://www.caribbeannewsnow.com/2019/04/05/oasis-of-the-seas-to-remain-dry-docked-in-grand-bahama-after-accident/

Well this is new, not sure if it's good or bad? I sent it to RC via direct message on twitter and they still said no changes to the May sailing. 

1 hour ago, Goofyfanatic said:

But wait...she was moved out of dry dock yesterday. Maybe just meant stay in Bahamas. 

1 hour ago, DerekB said:

This article is pretty poorly written. It's vague as hell and seems to be late to the game. I would take it with a grain of salt, a big grain of salt. 

Looks like a catch-up news article, produced by a reporter and editors who likely haven't benefitted from CruiseCritic education 😎, and rely on unspecified sources, who may not understand or care about the difference between "dock" and "dry dock".  If those terms are swapped, the headline is technically correct!  🤨 

Edited by willde
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, brookmill18 said:

Just curious...if you are rebooking a cruise in the near future and the current pricing is much higher than you paid for the cancelled cruise, do they adjust the pricing, or do you need to pay the current cruise fare and pay the difference?

You will pay whatever the price is.... there is no relation to the previous cancelled cruise.

46 minutes ago, jeremy123 said:

Anyone get info on the FCC that was supposed to be emailed by today? We were on the 4/14 sailing originally and got the email about cancellation, but no follow up about how to use the credit. 

My travel agent got mine yestedday and I applied it to an existing booking.  My Panama Canal cruise is now paid in full 👍.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, scottish67 said:

https://www.caribbeannewsnow.com/2019/04/05/oasis-of-the-seas-to-remain-dry-docked-in-grand-bahama-after-accident/

Well this is new, not sure if it's good or bad? I sent it to RC via direct message on twitter and they still said no changes to the May sailing. 

I think they have their facts all mixed up...wouldn't put much weight into this article.

My refunds are beginning to come through.  While Royal will charge one amount, they often make refunds in random amounts that make no sense.  I have four such refunds posting to my credit card today.  My Voom purchase was refunded today as well.  Still expecting another $133 to be refunded, will give that a couple days to post.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scottish67 said:

"was placed in dry dock earlier this year in order for it to receive new upgrades and features that are found on some of Royal Caribbean’s newer ships."

This article is way off.  Apparently it was written in the future!  The dry dock for upgrades hasn't happened yet!  Lol

One thing folks need to remember is that the dock itself is not a fixed point, it can move, as does the ship.  So, when they start to contact each other, the heavy one, the ship, can push the lighter one away.  The fact that they took the ship out of the dock relatively quickly makes me believe there was no major damage, if any, to the pods.  There was never a problem before the dock, that needed to be fixed, they were doing preventative renewal of the bearings, which amount to a major replacement of the azipod.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, aruss said:

Fortunately we have trip insurance, so I think we'll be ok, and I don't mind going on a different cruise or a land vacation, but it's the only week we can go so if we aren't on the Oasis I really need to start planning something different.

aruss - I apologize for grabbing your statement to quote, but I wanted to get the word out to those who may not be aware with regard to some of the possible limitations of trip insurance in this instance.

It is being reported in several postings on the roll calls for the cancelled Oasis cruises that various trip insurance policies do not consider cancellation of a cruise due to damage as a covered event.  I was rather surprised to read that, and went back to my policy's certificate, and it is likewise.  I had added the "cancel for any reason" coverage, so I presume my non-refundable costs will be covered (albeit at less than 100%).  My non-refundable costs are minor; there are other posters, however, who have significant non-refundable costs that in certain instances may not be covered even though they have insurance.

I am learning a lot through this process, and just wanted to pass on to others what I consider an essential item to know when you are exploring the purchase of trip insurance.

And to aruss and all others with future cruises on Oasis, I hope your cruises go as planned and that you have a wonderful time.

20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

One thing folks need to remember is that the dock itself is not a fixed point, it can move, as does the ship.  So, when they start to contact each other, the heavy one, the ship, can push the lighter one away.  The fact that they took the ship out of the dock relatively quickly makes me believe there was no major damage, if any, to the pods.  There was never a problem before the dock, that needed to be fixed, they were doing preventative renewal of the bearings, which amount to a major replacement of the azipod.

I respect your opinion and agree that the fact the ship is out quickly probably indicates they probably escaped major damage but I disagree with your analysis on the effect of hitting the dry dock.  To the first order if there are no other points of contact the force is not affected if the dry dock moves out of the way.  The force to support the ship will be the same even if the dry dock is pushed farther under water.  The ship still need the same force to keep the ship floating.  It appears there were still some supports on one side of the ship, there were some buoyancy forces because part of the ship was still in the water and the forces on the ship side that suffered the collapse that might have included the azipods  or other parts of the drydock pressing against the ship. Try holding something that floats partially under water and then push more of it under water.  More force is required to push it farther under water.  If the dry dock went farther under water due  to the weight of the ship, there would be an increased force imparted on the ship.

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The fact that they took the ship out of the dock relatively quickly makes me believe there was no major damage, if any, to the pods. 

Are the pods designed to break away to avoiding damaging the hull, or is that not practical given the amount of force they operate under?

4 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

The force to support the ship will be the same even if the dry dock is pushed farther under water. 

4 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

More force is required to push it farther under water.  If the dry dock went farther under water due  to the weight of the ship, there would be an increased force imparted on the ship.

I think you are making two assumptions, first that the drydock was pushed lower but still retained its normal buoyancy, and second that the force remains the same as the dock/ship sink lower into the water.

The drydock was already floating and supporting some of the weight of the ship, with the Oasis's hull picking up the rest.  In order for that balance to be upset something would need to change.  No one has suggested Oasis sprung a leak and rapidly gained weight, so it seems like the fault is with the dock. 

If the buoyancy of the dock decreased, everything would start to settle.  This seems to be what happened, though we don't know why.  So its not an instance of pushing something underwater, its that the thing underwater isn't pushing back hard enough!

Keep in mind the deeper the combo sinks the forces will be reduced; the hull of the Oasis is now deeper in the water and thus has more buoyancy and is less reliant on the dock for support.

Of course, with everything shifting and the ship possibly leaving its blocks it is possible specific parts of the ship and dock came into contact that weren't intended too, and forces at those points could exceed what they were designed for causing damage.  Unfortunately with no real information from RCI or the shipyard, we can only speculate what if anything might have suffered this fate.  

4 hours ago, mariapor1 said:

Biggest takeaway from this link for me is that even Europeans suffer from terrible click bait ads.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mariapor1 said:

Granted, I'm using the google translate, but they also say that the repair will have a "very positive impact" and will have an enhancement of the company's image worldwide. That statement alone makes you discount everything it says. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FlyhotmommaVT said:

Don't know how true to word this site is, but found this on www.vesseltracker.com (1st time I'm aware of "the hull bent in", and the blurb they have from the day before said "damage was significant"):

Much like one "news" report that the ship has "flipped on it's side and is taking on water".  Now you know who can be trusted and equally important who can't be.  

On 4/1/2019 at 4:10 PM, bowler15547 said:

When a ship goes into dry dock, they pull the ship into the dock and then the water is removed from the dock to take the ship out of the water.

On 4/1/2019 at 4:10 PM, BillOh said:

I've never heard of this being done before, but I can see the logic of it.   I'd love to see pictures of the dams and how they work. 

When the ship is inside of the dry dock the ship is positioned over huge blocks to support the ship after the water is pumped out of the dry dock.

9 hours ago, mariapor1 said:

This news report is little more than the shipyard rubbing its hands in glee and blowing its own trumpet about how great they are.

The reference to the 5th of May is simply repeating the information already put out there by Royal. Hopefully for everyone affected it will turn out to be correct but there is no new information in this article to suggest or support that.

In the meantime, I am keeping my fingers, legs and eyes crossed for all of you on that sailing and the ones immediately after it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, splashsmom said:

It is being reported in several postings on the roll calls for the cancelled Oasis cruises that various trip insurance policies do not consider cancellation of a cruise due to damage as a covered event.

I am learning a lot through this process, and just wanted to pass on to others what I consider an essential item to know when you are exploring the purchase of trip insurance.

Thanks for the heads-up. I am not affected by the incident but my year-round travel policy is due for renewal next month so I will be triple-checking the wording.

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

This news report is little more than the shipyard rubbing its hands in glee and blowing its own trumpet about how great they are.

The reference to the 5th of May is simply repeating the information already put out there by Royal. Hopefully for everyone affected it will turn out to be correct but there is no new information in this article to suggest or support that.

In the meantime, I am keeping my fingers, legs and eyes crossed for all of you on that sailing and the ones immediately after it.

" The reference to the 5th of May is simply repeating the information already put out there by Royal"

RCC said ... let's wait ...

2 minutes ago, mariapor1 said:

" The reference to the 5th of May is simply repeating the information already put out there by Royal"

RCC said ... let's wait ...

Yes. I really hope it all works out for the people on that sailing. I would hate to be in their position right now. :classic_sad: