Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
br111

Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Cel_cruise said:

 


 - I can’t help but say the logistics behind planning this last minute unexpected operation sort of fascinate me..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

I have also been fixated on this story. I find it to be very compelling and interesting. I only wish RCI would send a video crew to document it all like they did on the "Project Atlantis" video with Allure getting it's bearing changed. My guess RCI does not focus on the negative aspect of the story but I find the story itself to be very interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, jdjaguar said:

 

This sounds to me that the damage has been assessed, and that appropriate personnel and materials will be transported to the ship so that some repairs can be made en-route to Cadiz for additional repairs.

 

 

Well if we think the damage has been assessed, they should know more about the timetable for repairs. This would suggest that they'll know within the next few days if the ship will be ready for the May 5th sailing. I'm hopeful if that sailing is in doubt, they'll cancel with plenty time to allow those would be affected to make changes. I imagine the last thing they want to do is cancel more sailings as that would generate more bad press. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am on the April 14th NCL Breakaway out of Miami.  On Monday I was confident a low upgrade bid might be accepted as the ship looked like there were many open cabins.  On Tuesday a dummy booking showed all sold out.  This morning it is showing about 4 spa balconies open at triple the price from Monday.  So much for an upgrade bid and not so full ship, but glad if some of these Oasis passengers can still get in their vacation from Miami.  Just interesting the change in 1 day and the ripple effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jdjaguar said:

The cruise 'Oasis of the Seas' goes to Navantia Cádiz to be repaired after suffering an accident in the Bahamas

"...previously, a team of workers from Navantia and the auxiliary industry traveled to the Bahamas to make a preliminary study of the damage that the ship has and make the journey to the capital of Cadiz."

 

This sounds to me that the damage has been assessed, and that appropriate personnel and materials will be transported to the ship so that some repairs can be made en-route to Cadiz for additional repairs.

 

June 2 sailing is looker a bit safer, but I won't relax until Oasis departs Cardiz for Barcelona to resume her normal cruise schedule.


 

 

10 minutes ago, scottish67 said:

 

Well if we think the damage has been assessed, they should know more about the timetable for repairs. This would suggest that they'll know within the next few days if the ship will be ready for the May 5th sailing. I'm hopeful if that sailing is in doubt, they'll cancel with plenty time to allow those would be affected to make changes. I imagine the last thing they want to do is cancel more sailings as that would generate more bad press. 

What this sounds like to me is that the sub-contractors for the furnishings and deck fittings are joining the ship so that they can determine what materials are required and get the orders in for these materials while the ship is underway to Cadiz, so it is available upon, or soon thereafter, arrival in Cadiz.  They will also, once they determine what is needed, will start to remove the damaged stuff, cropping back  as far as necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jdjaguar said:

"...previously, a team of workers from Navantia and the auxiliary industry traveled to the Bahamas to make a preliminary study of the damage that the ship has and make the journey to the capital of Cadiz."

 

This sounds to me that the damage *has been assessed*, and that appropriate personnel and materials will be transported to the ship so that some repairs can be made en-route to Cadiz for additional repairs.

I'm not sure this is the case. The translation of the article is a bit dodgy. The first paragraph, in the original Spanish, says that they *will be travelling* to the Bahamas this coming Friday (i.e. tomorrow).

Spanish is not one of my main working languages but I believe the machine translation may have missed a subtle use of certain verb forms and that what it actually means is that they have confirmed the ship *will* be going to Cadiz but that the personnel *would* be travelling to the Bahamas first to assess the damage. It's a bit like reported speech in English.

I have asked my daughter, who is majoring in Spanish, to see what she thinks. Maybe someone else with a good knowledge of the language will be able to confirm in the meantime.

Edited by FionaMG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a native Spanish speaker and this is my translation.  If took the freedom to simplify some of the wording for the sake of brevity.

 

The cruise ship Oasis of the Seas from Royal Caribbean, will dry-dock in Navantia Cádiz to be repaired after having an accident while getting repairs on a floating dock.  Its arrival is scheduled for the 18th this month and a team of Navantia workers and auxiliary industry will depart this Friday to Bahamas to assess damages and do the trip onboard the ship.  

 

According to what company workers indicated to Europa Press, the cruise ship was on a floating dock in Bahamas doing repairs to one of the Azipods (my translation from "hélices de maniobra").  During the repair works, the dock buckled and caused damages to the ship after a crane fell on top of it.

 

The company has confirmed to Navantia that the ship will go to Cádiz to be repaired.  However, previously a team of Navantia workers and auxiliary industry would go to Bahamas to assess the damages on the ship and do the trip to Cádiz.

 

Cruise ship Oasis of the Seas from Royal Caribbean was scheduled to dry-dock in Cádiz on September for renovations.  Now due to this incident, it will be two times that the big cruise ship, one of the largest in the world, will be at the Cádiz shipyard.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Google translation is not that bad.  I looked at it after I did my translation and they are very similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Krisco said:

I am on the April 14th NCL Breakaway out of Miami.  On Monday I was confident a low upgrade bid might be accepted as the ship looked like there were many open cabins.  On Tuesday a dummy booking showed all sold out.  This morning it is showing about 4 spa balconies open at triple the price from Monday.  So much for an upgrade bid and not so full ship, but glad if some of these Oasis passengers can still get in their vacation from Miami.  Just interesting the change in 1 day and the ripple effect.

I bet you're right about that!  Sorry about missing an upgrade but great news if some passengers missing Oasis found new options!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, luisrp said:

The Google translation is not that bad.  I looked at it after I did my translation and they are very similar.

Thanks for confirming.

You're right, it's not too bad, but it misinterpreted the way viajaba was being used, translating it as a straight past tense, which is why another poster thought the Navantia workers had already travelled.

(and that's an example of why human translators like me still have jobs! :classic_laugh:)

 

Edited by FionaMG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Thanks for confirming.

You're right, it's not too bad, but it misinterpreted the way viajaba was being used, translating it as a straight past tense, which is why another poster thought the Navantia workers had already travelled.

(and that's why human translators like me still have jobs! :classic_laugh:)

 

 

You confused "viajó" which is second and third person perfect past tense with "viajaba" which is imperfect past tense.  Don't think too much about it. Spanish verb conjugations are the hardest part of the language and even us native speakers some times have hard time with them too. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dry Dock Dave said:

 

Agree with that, it’s very possible the screens are due for upgrading in the long dry dock coming up, if it’s not cost effective to repair, they’ll go without 

They Could Just Put A White Wall And A Projector To Temporary Run The Show Until The New Screens Come In.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Krisco said:

I am on the April 14th NCL Breakaway out of Miami.  On Monday I was confident a low upgrade bid might be accepted as the ship looked like there were many open cabins.  On Tuesday a dummy booking showed all sold out.  This morning it is showing about 4 spa balconies open at triple the price from Monday.  So much for an upgrade bid and not so full ship, but glad if some of these Oasis passengers can still get in their vacation from Miami.  Just interesting the change in 1 day and the ripple effect.

In the big scheme, I know the cruise industry is a business and they are in business to make money....but shame on NCL for clearly increasing their costs (and significantly!) due to the misfortune of others.  I am happy to hear some displaced Oasis cruisers may have been able to quickly rebook - but geesh, an increase like that is hard to swallow.  Hope you enjoy your cruise, I've heard that Breakaway is beautiful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Buffett fan said:

In the big scheme, I know the cruise industry is a business and they are in business to make money....but shame on NCL for clearly increasing their costs (and significantly!) due to the misfortune of others.  I am happy to hear some displaced Oasis cruisers may have been able to quickly rebook - but geesh, an increase like that is hard to swallow.  Hope you enjoy your cruise, I've heard that Breakaway is beautiful!

I did read on our facebook page created for our week that someone had this happen with an NCL cancelled cruise, and RCL closed down outside reservations and apparently a recipricol type agreement with other cruise lines.  He said RCL called him directly to rebook on them, so maybe the rates were better if this happened.  Sure hope so. And also if so, kind of a nice thing if they help each other out.  Obviously it's still good for the company taking on all those passengers too!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cruise fares are based on supply and demand.  Some of those price adjustments could be an automated revenue engine at work.  Airlines use them.  When the hurricanes last threatened FL in a meaningful way airfare jumped through the roof when a bunch of people all tried to book outbound flights at the same time.  Then they had to disabled the revenue management computers and manually adjusted prices back down or face the consequences.  It's like surge pricing on Uber.  A spike in demand triggers a rate increase.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, coaster said:

Seems at the very least a thank you to Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line could of been posted on social media from a representative of Royal.

 

They might have, just not publicly.  I suspect it comes in the form of a letter and money. 

 

2 hours ago, molsonschooner said:

I remember those threads. It was very interesting watching the progress. 

 

Same here and I miss them.

 

I wonder if that poster might be bound for Bahamas in the next day or two. If he is safe travels to him and I hope his wife is doing well too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

 

 

 

I wonder if that poster might be bound for Bahamas in the next day or two. If he is safe travels to him and I hope his wife is doing well too.

 

Andrew, he’s been posting in this thread.  Not sure if you saw his posts or were just avoiding mentioning his screen name. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

 

Andrew, he’s been posting in this thread.  Not sure if you saw his posts or were just avoiding mentioning his screen name. 

 

😉😉😉👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Krisco said:

I did read on our facebook page created for our week that someone had this happen with an NCL cancelled cruise, and RCL closed down outside reservations and apparently a recipricol type agreement with other cruise lines.  He said RCL called him directly to rebook on them, so maybe the rates were better if this happened.  Sure hope so. And also if so, kind of a nice thing if they help each other out.  Obviously it's still good for the company taking on all those passengers too!

 

Interesting, I expect they would so hopefully that's how it worked out here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found another article with a little more Cadiz info....

 

 

The repair of the Oasis of the Seas will overlap with the last phase of the renovation of the Carnival Triumph, which plans to leave the Cadiz dam on April 18 after an integral transformation. If the Oasis of the Seas needs to enter the dry dock, the repair will have to wait between three and four days for the shipyard to prepare "the cradle". However, the time of occupation will be very limited given that in a few weeks the travel season resumes.

 

https://www.diariodecadiz.es/provincia/Oasis-Cadiz-reparado-accidente-Caribe_0_1342665948.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Found another article with a little more Cadiz info....

 

 


The repair of the Oasis of the Seas will overlap with the last phase of the renovation of the Carnival Triumph, which plans to leave the Cadiz dam on April 18 after an integral transformation. If the Oasis of the Seas needs to enter the dry dock, the repair will have to wait between three and four days for the shipyard to prepare "the cradle". However, the time of occupation will be very limited given that in a few weeks the travel season resumes.

 

https://www.diariodecadiz.es/provincia/Oasis-Cadiz-reparado-accidente-Caribe_0_1342665948.html

 

That's 3-4 days to clean the dock out, and move the blocks to match the Oasis' docking plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Found another article with a little more Cadiz info....

Where there's a will (and $$$), there's a way. They might very well pull it off. On the other hand, there's a saying that nine women can't have a baby in one month. I guess it all depends on what repairs need to be made before she can start sailing again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

 

They might have, just not publicly.  I suspect it comes in the form of a letter and money. 

 

 

Same here and I miss them.

 

I wonder if that poster might be bound for Bahamas in the next day or two. If he is safe travels to him and I hope his wife is doing well too.

He’s busy trying to make sure people get to see the Sunrise, but you don’t do this for this long without receiving a lot of videos and pictures and information when things like this happen somewhere you spend 5-6 months of your life every year 😉

Edited by Dry Dock Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dry Dock Dave said:

He’s busy trying to make sure people get to see the Sunrise, but you don’t do this for this long without receiving a lot of videos and pictures when things like this happen somewhere you spend 5-6 months of your life every year 😉

 

I could only imagine what those close ups would look like. 😱 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...