Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

1 minute ago, fsjosh said:

The shot post above is not at an angle that you could see the balconies. Also in the pics posted from the day of the incident, the starboard balconies(other than the deck to access the rock climbing wall were untouched. The port side balconies may be another issue. But neither would be shown in the photo above. 

I agree...don't think you would see the balconies of the suites from that picture...they are just visible in this photo and it's taken at at much more an angle.

image.thumb.png.eedc249f31add18dabefc80bdf20949a.png

6 minutes ago, DerekB said:

There is an earlier post with a letter to the crew implying that they would be given some time to relax. I know you are very knowledgeable in regards to maritime matters and appreciate your post and opinion, but this isn't the Navy - there is a time when you recognize that there seriously is not going to be enough to keep that many people busy for 3 weeks without just coming up with stupid busywork. 

And I've been on these types of non-revenue repositioning cruises.  While the crew will not be working full hours, and the line will likely arrange crew entertainment, they will work a minimum of 8 hours, and may get a day off during the cruise, but this will not be a "cruise" for the crew.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And I've been on these types of non-revenue repositioning cruises.  While the crew will not be working full hours, and the line will likely arrange crew entertainment, they will work a minimum of 8 hours, and may get a day off during the cruise, but this will not be a "cruise" for the crew.

I can say with certainty that this is most definitely a "cruise" for at least some of the crew members. Based on the information being shared on social media by multiple crew members (which is how I'm coming across the real time images of the ship), there is quite a bit of partying, drinking, dancing, and overall good times being had. One individual who appears to be a chef looks like they were in uniform for at least part of the day but others have shared imagines of movie night, a battle of the sexes competition, etc. 

Additionally, it looks like some of the crew are being allowed to stay in the guest cabins as I've come across video clips (of drinking games) that was shot from inside one of the boardwalk balcony view cabins. For what it's worth, who really cares what they are doing? If certain crew are allowed to enjoy the ship then good for them as it's not harming anyone (other than their livers). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KelJ said:

I've sailed free twice with RCCL Visa points.  Both times, the rep charged us $1.00 each for cruise fare and told us that, as long as something is paid for the cruise, C&A points will be awarded.  And we did get the C&A points on both cruises.  Hopefully the FCC will work the same way.

Was that  $1 for the cruise fare or was it taxes. 🤔 

Because the cruise fare will go to $0 using the FCC but we still have to pay the taxes...

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

19 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Well the crew sure seem to think it is. I'm sorry, but many of these crew members are going without much needed tips and if the cruise line feels the need to give them extra time off then so be it. This isn't your normal non revenue repositioning cruise where they would have things planned months in advance. This is an emergency out-of-nowhere 3 week shutdown. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Was that  $1 for the cruise fare or was it taxes. 🤔 

Because the cruise fare will go to $0 using the FCC but we still have to pay the taxes...

It was definitely $1 for the cruise fare.  Say the cruise fare per person was $500.  They applied the Visa points as having a value of $499 so that I had to pay $1.  (I'm just TOTALLY pulling these figures out of the air because I don't remember the value of the free three-or-four-night cruise).

With free cruises with RCCL Visa points, the taxes (and I think port fees) always have to be paid and are not part of the free cruise fare.

13 minutes ago, DerekB said:

Well the crew sure seem to think it is. I'm sorry, but many of these crew members are going without much needed tips and if the cruise line feels the need to give them extra time off then so be it. This isn't your normal non revenue repositioning cruise where they would have things planned months in advance. This is an emergency out-of-nowhere 3 week shutdown. 

Just remember that regardless of how much the DSC amounts to in their pay package, there is now a minimum wage for seafarers, and if there is no DSC to make up the minimum wage, then the company has to step in and make up the balance.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, KelJ said:

It was definitely $1 for the cruise fare.  Say the cruise fare per person was $500.  They applied the Visa points as having a value of $499 so that I had to pay $1.  (I'm just TOTALLY pulling these figures out of the air because I don't remember the value of the free three-or-four-night cruise).

With free cruises with RCCL Visa points, the taxes (and I think port fees) always have to be paid and are not part of the free cruise fare.

Thanks... still hope we will get points with only paying taxes...👍

1 hour ago, fsjosh said:

The shot post above is not at an angle that you could see the balconies. Also in the pics posted from the day of the incident, the starboard balconies(other than the deck to access the rock climbing wall) were untouched. The port side balconies may be another issue. But neither would be shown in the photo above. 

Yes.  That is how I saw the original phots with the crane on the ship as well.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Having crew friends on the ship over the years we have learned that they still work hard on this type of sailings and dry dock. They do however get to let their hair down a bit as well.  They always appreciated the relaxed/reduced change of work schedule when given.

• Like 2

So happy that the crew is getting to enjoy some fun times during their trip! I think that the relaxation would go a long way to offsetting the financial impact of not having tips. I wonder if the alcohol is free when they are off duty.

And it would be silly to make them sleep in their bunk rooms when so many others were available / glad they are getting to use guest rooms!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cel_cruise said:

So happy that the crew is getting to enjoy some fun times during their trip! I think that the relaxation would go a long way to offsetting the financial impact of not having tips. 

For some, it probably goes a very short way.  Relaxation doesn't help pay bills, meet budget, support family...

56 minutes ago, willde said:

For some, it probably goes a very short way.  Relaxation doesn't help pay bills, meet budget, support family...

They are paid a Differential for lost Tips, curious what it is though we'll probably never know the amount...

6 hours ago, Pratique said:

What surprises me is that even with all that traffic, you can sail for days without seeing another ship.

At nite they are easier to spot. Even though miles away I've sat on my Balcony and watched dozens ships slide by within hr. Usually going other way but most almost playing follow the leader in regular paths/shipping channels. Now planes, when you are going 500mph and another doing same opposite direction watching them zip by, wow!

12 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

At nite they are easier to spot.

That's very true, especially when it's another cruise ship lit up like a Christmas tree. Once when I was on Oasis we crossed paths with Allure heading in the opposite direction at night and the two ships flashed their logo lights at each other. That was cool.

New position update, 10 minutes old.

O3.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pratique said:

That's very true, especially when it's another cruise ship lit up like a Christmas tree. Once when I was on Oasis we crossed paths with Allure heading in the opposite direction at night and the two ships flashed their logo lights at each other. That was cool.

New position update, 10 minutes old.

O3.jpg

Any idea who that is almost due south on an intercept course? I can't figure it out! 

Just now, DerekB said:

Any idea who that is almost due south on an intercept course? I can't figure it out! 

No, I tried to figure it out too. It might not be on a regularly scheduled voyage either, or maybe it's someone's mega yacht? If you think it originated in San Juan and can find out who was there a couple of days ago, maybe that will be a clue. But it could have started in the Virgin Islands too.

Just now, Pratique said:

No, I tried to figure it out too. It might not be on a regularly scheduled voyage either, or maybe it's someone's mega yacht? If you think it originated in San Juan and can find out who was there a couple of days ago, maybe that will be a clue. But it could have started in the Virgin Islands too.

I checked literally every known transatlantic cruise voyage and none of them match up. I wonder if mega yachts show up as pleasure craft or passenger ships? I have a friend that may have access to the satellite data so going to ask him tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Yes I wonder that too. This is the right time of year to start re-positioning the mega yachts back to the Med though. I'm curious too. There's another ship about a day or two behind it as well, same general heading.

I can't remember which one was behind her - I saw it though, I think  it was another Holland America line ship. 

16 minutes ago, DerekB said:

I checked literally every known transatlantic cruise voyage and none of them match up. I wonder if mega yachts show up as pleasure craft or passenger ships? I have a friend that may have access to the satellite data so going to ask him tomorrow. 

I might be mistaken, but I seem to remember a Costa ship leaving from the Virgin Islands about the time we all started looking at Oasis' progress. 

Another thing I notice is that the Koningsdam ship still shows up on AIS and it is no where near land. All others are "passenger ship"?? 

2 minutes ago, above sea level cruiser said:

I might be mistaken, but I seem to remember a Costa ship leaving from the Virgin Islands about the time we all started looking at Oasis' progress. 

Another thing I notice is that the Koningsdam ship still shows up on AIS and it is no where near land. All others are "passenger ship"?? 

Yea there is a Costa ship in the area for sure - but if I remember right she was a bit south. I also noticed that Koningsdam was showing up in the satellite coverage area so my guess is that Holland America pays for this to be shown. I found a few others out in the middle of nowhere showing up as well - so either it was a lucky hit or someone paying someone OR they have an AIS receiver on board and are reporting their own (and whomever is nearby) position). Which makes more sense...

Edited by DerekB