Jump to content

NA Neptune Suite and other questions


fyree39
 Share

Recommended Posts

Rather than fill up the board with separate threads, I'll consolidate, if you don't mind. I went ahead and got an upgrade ("upsell" to those who care about semantics) to a Neptune Suite on our upcoming cruise out of San Diego.  Here are some questions for those with experience:

 

1. Is the Neptune Lounge open 24 hours per day?  I'm of the mind that we'll use the lounge for coffee as my husband is a huge coffee fan.

 

2. Is there a cocktail hour that my husband can enjoy a complimentary adult beverage? I'm unsure about this. I've read it can be difficult to enjoy this perk due to the number of high-level loyalty cruisers who will also be using this lounge.  We're thinking of getting a beverage card and I'm wondering if, due to a cocktail hour, we could get cards in a lesser amount.

 

3.What time can we show up at the San Diego pier? Should we wait until later? We normally show up for our cruises at around 11:00.  I'm not sure if we should wait a bit or show up at the usual (for us) time. We'll be coming on a shuttle from a parking lot near the airport. I think I currently have a 10:30 reservation.

 

4. Will the complimentary laundry be available on this ship for Neptune Suite guests?

 

5. Is the afternoon tea available to Neptune Suite guests on the Nieuw Amsterdam? This is something I think I'd enjoy if it's available.

 

6.  We have the Open Seating dining.  Is there a way to reserve a table?  I'm not used to reserving anything during open seating, but maybe this is something we'll want to try if we find a server we really enjoy.  We typically get fixed seating at a table for 6 or 8.  We like meeting new people so maybe just showing up and asking for a table with others will be the way we'll go.

 

7. Is the breakfast as the Pinnacle Grill a perk for us? My husband likes his lido omelet, but I like the idea of a meal in our room just for the fun of it.

 

Thank you for your responses.  I've tried searching for some of these, but I can't find much that's ship specific. My husband doesn't know about this upgrade, so I'm pretty tickled about the surprise. 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

Rather than fill up the board with separate threads, I'll consolidate, if you don't mind. I went ahead and got an upgrade ("upsell" to those who care about semantics) to a Neptune Suite on our upcoming cruise out of San Diego.  Here are some questions for those with experience:

 

1. Is the Neptune Lounge open 24 hours per day?  I'm of the mind that we'll use the lounge for coffee as my husband is a huge coffee fan.  7am to 7 or 8pm

 

2. Is there a cocktail hour that my husband can enjoy a complimentary adult beverage? I'm unsure about this. I've read it can be difficult to enjoy this perk due to the number of high-level loyalty cruisers who will also be using this lounge.  We're thinking of getting a beverage card and I'm wondering if, due to a cocktail hour, we could get cards in a lesser amount. No

 

3.What time can we show up at the San Diego pier? Should we wait until later? We normally show up for our cruises at around 11:00.  I'm not sure if we should wait a bit or show up at the usual (for us) time. We'll be coming on a shuttle from a parking lot near the airport. I think I currently have a 10:30 reservation. No special time.

 

4. Will the complimentary laundry be available on this ship for Neptune Suite guests? It is available on all HAL ships for Neptune Suite pax.

 

5. Is the afternoon tea available to Neptune Suite guests on the Nieuw Amsterdam? This is something I think I'd enjoy if it's available.

 

6.  We have the Open Seating dining.  Is there a way to reserve a table?  I'm not used to reserving anything during open seating, but maybe this is something we'll want to try if we find a server we really enjoy.  We typically get fixed seating at a table for 6 or 8.  We like meeting new people so maybe just showing up and asking for a table with others will be the way we'll go. The concierge in the Neptune Lounge will handle this.

 

7. Is the breakfast as the Pinnacle Grill a perk for us? My husband likes his lido omelet, but I like the idea of a meal in our room just for the fun of it. Yes

 

Thank you for your responses.  I've tried searching for some of these, but I can't find much that's ship specific. My husband doesn't know about this upgrade, so I'm pretty tickled about the surprise. 🙂

 

A little reading on the board would find tons or related info. None of these things are ship specific...they are HAL policy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1)  Its not open 24 hours.  I can't remember the exact hours but its like 7:00 AM ish to 9:00 PM ish...basically during the day.

 

2) No.  Royal Caribbean has those in their suite lounge but not Holland America.  That's aid,  on our last cruise there was a reception in the Neptune the second night with free wine,  but not an open bar like RC has and not every evening.

 

3) not sure on SD

 

4) Yes.  They will leave you a bag to fill and a form to fill out.  It usually comes back clean the next day.  If you need more than one bag,  you just need to ask the room steward or the concierge. 

 

5) Not sure on Tea

 

6) when we have had open seating we go the first night and get seated at random.  If we like the wait staff,  we just make reservations there at the same time for the rest of the cruise.

 

7) Yes.  Its the same breakfast food as the main dinning room,  just served in the Pinnacle.  They will ask to see your key card the first day,  but once they recognize you, you can just walk in.    You tend to get better/faster service and your own table than you do in the MDR.

 

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

 

A little reading on the board would find tons or related info. None of these things are ship specific...they are HAL policy.

Thank you.  Every line is different.  Suite perks are ship specific on Royal, hence my questions. I've been reading the HAL board for weeks in anticipation of our cruise, but the "little" reading I've done hasn't answered the questions I've posed here. 

 

My husband is going to be quite surprised!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You will enjoy your Neptune suite! If you use the search box near the top of the screen on this page, you can search for "Neptune", click on "This forum" and many discussions will show up with information specific to Neptune suites. All the HAL ships have the same Neptune benefits with the exception of the Nieuw Statendam (and perhaps the Konigsdam) which are testing the Club Orange concept. Enjoy the experience--we always do. (And remember, the concierges in the lounge can answer all your questions.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

no problem. 

 

One of the differences from RC to HA is how its staffed.

 

On Royal the room is open all day,  but the concierge as specific hours he/she is in the room. 

 

On HA they have 1 or 2 people in there all the time (during normal operating hours).  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks again.  I can't keep a secret for more than 12 seconds, so I told my husband about this.  He's as happy as I am about our suite. I'm thinking the afternoon tea is no longer available.  I did find the Neptune suite threads on this site using the search function.  There are so many changes today in the cruise industry that many of the old perks could be long gone.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe there may be incorrect replies above. Reviews posted here from Neptune Suite passengers on Nieuw Statendam (and Koningsdam) have said that breakfast is served in the Club Orange restaurant (NOT in the Pinnacle Grill for these two ships.)

 

Club Orange is also the assigned dining room (open seating) for dinner for Neptune Suite passengers. 

Edited by Caribbean Chris
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Caribbean Chris, I'm on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  I've found an old list of perks and the new list on the website under the E-docs. The new list doesn't mention the afternoon tea.  I think there was another amenity that was left out of the new list which I don't recall right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, fyree39 said:

Caribbean Chris, I'm on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  I've found an old list of perks and the new list on the website under the E-docs. The new list doesn't mention the afternoon tea.  I think there was another amenity that was left out of the new list which I don't recall right now.

 

Sorry for MY confusion! Glad you found the perks list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is no Club Orange on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

 

All Neptune Suites and Pinnacle Suites get to have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.

 

If your husband wants real eggs for his omelets, he MUST remember to tell the Pinnacle waiter this.  Otherwise he will get the egg substitute stuff.

 

Yes -- you can order afternoon tea in your cabin -- via the concierges.  You can also order afternoon hot appetizers via the concierges.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

 

Yes -- you can order afternoon tea in your cabin -- via the concierges.  You can also order afternoon hot appetizers via the concierges.

This is exciting!  I predict a 10-pound weight gain on this cruise. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regarding showing up at the San Diego pier for the Nieuw Amsterdam.  Two weeks ago I arrived at 11:15AM and the ship started boarding at 11:30 . Since the  the cabins are normally ready when you board you can drop off your carryon luggage and go to the Neptune Lounge to meet the Concierge if you wish. You could ask her/him at  this time to make any dining reservations you might want. 

 

The Pinnacle Grill is open for breakfast the same hours the main  dining room is usually 8 to 9:30 am on sea days. The first time you go there for breakfast, you will be asked to show your keycard which for NS folks has a gold stripe.

 

On this ship, you need to put your keycard in a slot just inside the door in order to activate the lights. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

If your husband wants real eggs for his omelets, he MUST remember to tell the Pinnacle waiter this.  Otherwise he will get the egg substitute stuff.

Really ??   ick

Is that true for scrambled eggs too? 

 

Related:   I've learned that the trick for getting real eggs in McDonalds breakfasts is:   Request "a round egg" for your breakfast sandwiches that normally come looking scrambled and flattened from the carton egg mixture.  McDonald's calls those "folded eggs".   

Asking  "can you substitute a round egg for a folded egg" is quickly understood.  (Whereas requesting "a real egg"  or "a whole egg" takes more time to explain.  YMMV.) 

 

This reminds me of that restaurant chain slogan "You can't fake a steak" .  You can't fake a real egg. (not as easily...)  A profit-driven company / supplier can easily put who knows what in the fake egg carton to expand batch size when pinched on price negotiations.

 

Thanks very much for this tip @Krazy Kruizers

Edited by SempreMare
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The afternoon tea delivered to your stateroom is an amazing treat for Neptune/Pinnacle guests. They bring enough finger sandwiches and cookies etc for two people that it is easy to ruin your dinner. I believe they serve it at 3pm. We always like to do it at least once during the cruise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Snowesha said:

The afternoon tea delivered to your stateroom is an amazing treat for Neptune/Pinnacle guests. They bring enough finger sandwiches and cookies etc for two people that it is easy to ruin your dinner. I believe they serve it at 3pm. We always like to do it at least once during the cruise.

Did you have this delivered recently?  Last time we did this we were very disappointed (this was about 4 years ago) and have never done it again.    We were asked what time we wanted it delivered.  Maybe we should try it one more time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

Did you have this delivered recently?  Last time we did this we were very disappointed (this was about 4 years ago) and have never done it again.    We were asked what time we wanted it delivered.  Maybe we should try it one more time.  

3 1/2 years ago on the Vendam

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Really ??   ick

Is that true for scrambled eggs too? 

 

Related:   I've learned that the trick for getting real eggs in McDonalds breakfasts is:   Request "a round egg" for your breakfast sandwiches that normally come looking scrambled and flattened from the carton egg mixture.  McDonald's calls those "folded eggs".   

Asking  "can you substitute a round egg for a folded egg" is quickly understood.  (Whereas requesting "a real egg"  or "a whole egg" takes more time to explain.  YMMV.) 

 

This reminds me of that restaurant chain slogan "You can't fake a steak" .  You can't fake a real egg. (not as easily...)  A profit-driven company / supplier can easily put who knows what in the fake egg carton to expand batch size when pinched on price negotiations.

 

Thanks very much for this tip @Krazy Kruizers

 

The scrambled eggs are also not the real deal.

 

DH forgot one time in the Pinnacle to ask for real eggs and ended up with the "junk".  Needless to say he left the eggs behind and ate extra pastries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In February, there was a sit-down tea held in the main dining room every afternoon for all passengers.  There is also tea available in the lounge all day as well as stuff to munch on that changes a few times throughout the day; very often the same items that are served at the sit-down tea are also in the lounge in the afternoon.  I have never requested the one that is served in the room but the lists that show it do say it's "upon request," which means you'd coordinate it with the concierges.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

In February, there was a sit-down tea held in the main dining room every afternoon for all passengers.  There is also tea available in the lounge all day as well as stuff to munch on that changes a few times throughout the day; very often the same items that are served at the sit-down tea are also in the lounge in the afternoon.  I have never requested the one that is served in the room but the lists that show it do say it's "upon request," which means you'd coordinate it with the concierges.

Thank you.  I enjoy the afternoon tea and if it's available on the ship, I think we'd rather enjoy it with others rather than holed up in our cabin.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/2/2019 at 9:15 PM, Snowesha said:

3 1/2 years ago on the Vendam

 

We had it years ago on the Ryndam and it was very impressive.  Did it again with friends when in Alaska.  Maybe it was a one off for a bad experience but we’ve never done it again.  It felt like they just dumped stuff in our room and ran!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nobody seems to have addressed the OP's comment about her husband wanting coffee available 24 hours.  As has been said, the Neptune lounge is usually open from 7 AM until 8 PM, BUT, all Neptune suites have coffee machines in the suites now, so you can have coffee absolutely anytime!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...