Jump to content

Viking Ocean - Combined Cruise Schedule


CharTrav
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 10/14/2021 at 7:25 PM, CharTrav said:

Sorry - Saturn is scheduled to do four cruises in 2023. The fourth is from Rome to Barcelona. Clearly the schedule has holes. Such is way these things go. 

Things keep changing for Saturn or what I wrote initially was completely wrong. But I don't think so. A cruise between Barcelona and Reykjavik has been added - Iceland, British Isles and Iberia - but not yet scheduled. For now only Star is scheduled for this itinerary. Will wait until Saturn is actually scheduled for this itinerary before I update and post the spreadsheet. 

 

Anyway - Saturn is now listed on the main VO ships page; it wasn't yesterday. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Recall reading awhile ago that they were because the small expedition ship Viking was going to lease fell through.

Yup. We were booked on the Galápagos cruise last year.  The exact wording of the email we received from Viking informing us it was cancelled was "...have made the difficult decision to cancel our planned Galápagos departures for the foreseeable future...". When I read those last two words, I interpreted that as forever. Thus, as part of a general cleanup, I removed all Galápagos itineraries from the 2022-2024 edition of my spreadsheet. 

 

The Santa Cruz II is still running cruises to the Galápagos. Just not leased to Viking. 🙄 It looks like somebody else got the lease for it. A company called Hurtigrutin Expeditions, a company based in Norway! https://www.cruisemapper.com/news/9041-hurtigruten-launch-exclusive-galapagos-expedition-cruises-january-2022

Edited by CharTrav
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Yup. We were booked on the Galápagos cruise last year.  The exact wording of the email we received from Viking informing us it was cancelled was "...have made the difficult decision to cancel our planned Galápagos departures for the foreseeable future...". When I read those last two words, I interpreted that as forever. Thus, as part of a general cleanup, I removed all Galápagos itineraries from the 2022-2024 edition of my spreadsheet. 

 

The Santa Cruz II is still running cruises to the Galápagos. Just not leased to Viking. 🙄 It looks like somebody else got the lease for it. A company called Hurtigrutin Expeditions, a company based in Norway! https://www.cruisemapper.com/news/9041-hurtigruten-launch-exclusive-galapagos-expedition-cruises-january-2022

Let me edit what I wrote. Took too long to do it when I tried to edit just now. 

1. Santa Cruz II is not doing cruises now. They were earlier this year but not since the partnership between Metropolitan Touring and Hurtigrutin was signed last June. Santa Cruz II is being refurbished right now. 

2. Hubby has suggested I should research Hurtigrutin as a way for us to finally do Galápagos. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Let me edit what I wrote. Took too long to do it when I tried to edit just now. 

1. Santa Cruz II is not doing cruises now. They were earlier this year but not since the partnership between Metropolitan Touring and Hurtigrutin was signed last June. Santa Cruz II is being refurbished right now. 

2. Hubby has suggested I should research Hurtigrutin as a way for us to finally do Galápagos. 

Check into Lindblad/National Geographic. Pricy, but great experiences.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

Check into Lindblad/National Geographic. Pricy, but great experiences.

Yup -- we have been.  Have their catalog too.  SIL and her husband are/were planning a trip to Antarctica with them this year .. but getting a little skittish right now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Let me edit what I wrote. Took too long to do it when I tried to edit just now. 

1. Santa Cruz II is not doing cruises now. They were earlier this year but not since the partnership between Metropolitan Touring and Hurtigrutin was signed last June. Santa Cruz II is being refurbished right now. 

2. Hubby has suggested I should research Hurtigrutin as a way for us to finally do Galápagos. 

Hurtigrutin is rather popular in Norway.  It is a way to slowly explore the fjords and towns and is kind of like a ferry service where you can get on and off.  They also do cruises in Chile Patagonia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Hurtigrutin is rather popular in Norway.  It is a way to slowly explore the fjords and towns and is kind of like a ferry service where you can get on and off.  They also do cruises in Chile Patagonia.

Hmmmm.. I was going to express some concern that this is something new for them .. but if they've had experience in Chile perhaps not.  Something to look at .. in addition to .. as suggested earlier.. NatGeo/Lindblad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Hmmmm.. I was going to express some concern that this is something new for them .. but if they've had experience in Chile perhaps not.  Something to look at .. in addition to .. as suggested earlier.. NatGeo/Lindblad.

 

9 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Hmmmm.. I was going to express some concern that this is something new for them .. but if they've had experience in Chile perhaps not.  Something to look at .. in addition to .. as suggested earlier.. NatGeo/Lindblad.

Hurtigruten is great for Coastal Norway (I have done it many times; the whole trip as a cruise and port-to-port as transportation), but for the Galapagos Lindblad/NG is #1 IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

Hurtigruten is great for Coastal Norway (I have done it many times; the whole trip as a cruise and port-to-port as transportation), but for the Galapagos Lindblad/NG is #1 IMO.

I'm seriously looking at one from Lindblad/NG that is very similar in itinerary to the our cancelled Galápagos trip inc pre-extension. 

Edited by CharTrav
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Donaghadee said:

If you want the deluxe treatment, Celebrity has some pretty good looking cruises on their new ship, Flora.  Prices aren't shockingly outrageous either, just painful.

We did the Galapagos on the Celebrity Flora in March 2020 ( it was the last one before the Covid shutdown) and it was a wonderful experience. Very well done and on a beautiful ship with lovely staterooms .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those who have been eagerly waiting for Neptune's Trans Atlantic in 2022 -- it's scheduled! It'll be the Atlantic Crossing, departing Barcelona on 8 Dec 2022. Rather than make you wait while I look to see what else has changed since last week .. thought I'd post the news about this now.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, qwertyuoip said:

I love the aesthetic of the Viking ocean ships. I don't like the booking terms.

 

What are my chances of getting on a Viking ship, maybe first quarter of 2022, at the last minute. (Not literally!) I'm thinking that there are often cases where people have to cancel.

 

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

I've heard/read about a mechanism to do what you want to do. I think the fare is somewhat reduced because you're not picking what you want up front. I think @Peregrina651 knows more about how this works. So over to her. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 10/22/2021 at 1:57 PM, CharTrav said:

"...have made the difficult decision to cancel our planned Galápagos departures for the foreseeable future...".

 

We had booked on one of the December, 2021 dates.

 

I tried not to see it as scrapped forever and continue to hope that they will try again once the post-Covid normal is established. However, I am also afraid that by the time they get it together, it will be too late for us to attempt something as challenging as the altitude of M/P -- which has been on our bucket list for a while.

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/22/2021 at 2:25 PM, CharTrav said:

1. Santa Cruz II is not doing cruises now. They were earlier this year but not since the partnership between Metropolitan Touring and Hurtigrutin was signed last June. Santa Cruz II is being refurbished right now. 

2. Hubby has suggested I should research Hurtigrutin as a way for us to finally do Galápagos. 

I booked the 7-night Western route directly through Metropolitan Touring.  There were choices of ships: Santa Cruz II, Isabela, and La Pinta.  Prices were comparable on all three.  I chose the package that included a 2-night pre-cruise hotel (Marriott) stay, private (just for two of us) pre-cruise tour, all airport transfers (2 intra and 2 international), intra flight to/from the islands, and all fees.  Some guests were from a well-known tour group.   (Silversea group was on Santa Cruz). Treatment was the same for groups and independent travelers like us.  The difference maybe is the pre-cruise hotel.  We stayed in the less expensive (still acceptable) Marriott hotel pre-cruise, and added a 2-night post cruise (upgraded to a suite).

You may also consider booking directly through Metropolitan Touring. Note that for certain sail dates, there is a promotion in which the package price is the same as the cruise fare.  Check the info page that shows the temperatures and wildlife each month, so you can go when the weather is nice, water is calm, and the wildlife you want to see is around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

I tried not to see it as scrapped forever and continue to hope that they will try again once the post-Covid normal is established. However, I am also afraid that by the time they get it together, it will be too late for us to attempt something as challenging as the altitude of M/P -- which has been on our bucket list for a while.

.

Machu Picchu is best visited by a “long” land tour in which there is enough time to get acclimated to the altitude.  Besides, it is worthwhile to have sufficient time to try out the various trains (different train type to and from MP).  I was very proud of myself being able to push myself up Huayna Picchu 2 years ago. Don’t think I can do it now. For me, aging seems to accelerate more now than before.  There are certain places on my bucket list that will not be ever checked off due to Covid cancellation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 1:39 AM, Peregrina651 said:

 

 

We had booked on one of the December, 2021 dates.

 

I tried not to see it as scrapped forever and continue to hope that they will try again once the post-Covid normal is established. However, I am also afraid that by the time they get it together, it will be too late for us to attempt something as challenging as the altitude of M/P -- which has been on our bucket list for a while.

.


Maybe if they let you acclimate gradually? 
 

We’ve been visiting friends in the Rockies for Thanksgiving the past few years; their house is at about 8K feet, and it is a bit challenging. This year we’re going to spend the first night in Denver to see if that makes a difference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Twitchly said:


Maybe if they let you acclimate gradually? 
 

We’ve been visiting friends in the Rockies for Thanksgiving the past few years; their house is at about 8K feet, and it is a bit challenging. This year we’re going to spend the first night in Denver to see if that makes a difference. 

I remember many many years ago .. when I was MUCH younger and WAY more fit than I am now .. I tried running at a high school track in a town situated on a mesa (can't say where but it was at over a mile altitude -- a little over 7000).  I thought for sure I could run that track .. no problem!  Ha! I got maybe half way around and was wheezing while some kid a few years younger than I who lived there went loping on past me.  I would guess the trick with doing Machu Picchu is not to try to be a gazelle.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/6/2021 at 5:57 PM, CharTrav said:

I remember many many years ago .. when I was MUCH younger and WAY more fit than I am now .. I tried running at a high school track in a town situated on a mesa (can't say where but it was at over a mile altitude -- a little over 7000).  I thought for sure I could run that track .. no problem!  Ha! I got maybe half way around and was wheezing while some kid a few years younger than I who lived there went loping on past me.  I would guess the trick with doing Machu Picchu is not to try to be a gazelle.


Yeah, I’m always appalled by my initial unfitness at high altitudes. I always think I can do more than I can. It’s a relief when we get home and I realize that yes, I can still climb a couple flights of steps without getting breathless. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

During the past month have been making minor updates to the Cruise Schedule sheet.  Basically refinements to the initial schedule for Saturn starting in 2023. And some updates for Neptune (adding TA in Dec 2022). Latest update was today -- for Mars --   adding a segment (Voyages of Marco Polo) for travel from the Med to Australia and back in 2022 & 2023.  Decided -- even tho the changes aren't big -- all this was enough to to post updates to DropBox and here.  Keep waiting for cruises in late 2023 for Star, Sea, Jupiter, & Venus to appear -- basically the ships in service now.

 

If you already have a copy of my 2022-2024 schedule, just use the link provided in the ReadMe tab to get a fresh copy; if you don't, here is the direct link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/smx4xeq1yhq8ymi/Viking Ocean Cruises (2022 to 2024).xlsm?dl=0.

 

Btw - have checked the 2021 schedule -- just in case there have been changes -- and the answer -- phew! -- is none.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Learned about some changes today. Basically - it looks  like Hawaii remains closed to cruise ships until mid January 2022, which means both sailings of Hawaiian Islands Sojourn on Orion in Dec 2021 are off the table. I also noticed today that all sailings of Amazon and Caribbean Adventure on the Sea in Jan, Feb, Mar 2022 have been removed from the VO schedule. In both cases, I'm sure Viking is coming up with a Plan B. When these Plan B's are posted to the VO page, I'll update the spreadsheet and post it. 

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...