Viking Ocean - Combined Cruise Schedule

CharTrav

27 minutes ago, Hockeyump said:

Thank you so much for the update, truly a labour of love ❤️.

You're welcome.  Working on changes to VE that must have been made today because I swear they weren't there yesterday.  So will be posting another update tomorrow.  But I'm sure (😉) that the VO sked is solid .. for now.

• Like 2

Thank you Char for the herculean effort to keep this up to date! I've dowloaded the file to try to investigate a cruise I'm considering (British Isles Explorer), and it doesn't seem that your tool matches what I see on the website. There appears on the website to be many more of these cruises than indicated. For example,  your tool shows none of these in April 2023, yet on the website there are several (starting April 1,15 and 29). Perhaps I'm not using the tool correctly and have some filtering mixed up?

1 hour ago, formernuke said:

Thank you Char for the herculean effort to keep this up to date! I've dowloaded the file to try to investigate a cruise I'm considering (British Isles Explorer), and it doesn't seem that your tool matches what I see on the website. There appears on the website to be many more of these cruises than indicated. For example,  your tool shows none of these in April 2023, yet on the website there are several (starting April 1,15 and 29). Perhaps I'm not using the tool correctly and have some filtering mixed up?

I shall check!  Also - make sure to filter on British Isles Explorer - not just Neptun so you see all 14 of them. And either use the Show All or Show 2023 button.

There are many ways to filter that spreadsheet. 😉

Edited by CharTrav

VE Expedition schedule must have been updated yesterday because I did check it two days ago and didn't see any changes.

Two new (and I think just for 2022) cruises added for Polaris to start her travels to Antarctica: Atlantic Islands & Antarctica and Islands of the Atlantic, both starting from Amsterdam and heading to Ushuaia. Fully expecting Polaris' sailing of South America & Antarctic Discovery on 17 Oct 22, presently shown as SOLD OUT, will be cancelled because it conflicts with these two new cruises. Added another sailing of Antarctic Explorer by Polaris in October.  Also added new cruise Longitudinal World Cruise III in 2023 for Octantis.

Again, if you already have a copy of this spreadsheet, just use the link provided in the ReadMe tab to download a fresh copy. If not, use this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/smx4xeq1yhq8ymi/Viking Ocean Cruises (2022 to 2024).xlsm?dl=0 to download the latest copy.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, formernuke said:

Perhaps I'm not using the tool correctly and have some filtering mixed up?

If you're having insurmountable issues with the spreadsheet, I'm perfectly happy to help you using Zoom. Just contact me directly using my personal contact info provided in the ReadMe tab. 

• 1 month later...

Learned through @Clay Clayton about cancellations affecting Orion next September & October caused by visa issues in Japan & Vietnam, as well as, covid policies in Hong Kong: Japan now requires a local tour agency sponsor you for a visa along with a in-person interview; Hong Kong still requires isolation upon arrival; and Vietnam isn't issuing multi-entry visas even tho it's required for ocean arrivals. This resulted in the cancellation of 8 of Orion's cruises this Fall: Far East & Alaska; Far Eastern Horizons; North Pacific Passage; Australia, Asia & Alaska; Grand Pacific Explorer; Southeast Asia Horizons; Southeast Asia; and Southeast Asia & Hong Kong. Added a new -- just for 2022 -- cruise from Vancouver to Oahu called Alaska, Hawaii & Pacific Passage departing 20 Sep arriving mid-Oct.  What hasn't been added .. yet .. is a cruise from Oahu to Bangkok (meet up with the 3 cruises departing from Bangkok late November).  

I was going to hold off posting this update until after the gap between Oahu and Bangkok is addressed (the folks who were affected by these cancellations already know so why should I add to their misery?).  But .. on a whim .. checked for other changes and discovered that Orion's schedule has now been extended into November 2024; basically all the cruises involved in traveling from Vancouver to Sydney.  So decided that posting this update would be good idea.  Btw -- checked for other changes and found none (including Expeditions). 

For those who already have a copy of the spreadsheet .. use the link provided on the ReadMe tab to download a fresh copy. Please don't worry when you see that the file name has changed to include "& Expedition".  Given that this spreadsheet covers both Ocean and Expeditions, decided it made sense to change it. The link to it is still the same.  I've checked it out multiple times and it works.   If you don't already have a copy of the spreadsheet -- use this link to download it (no DropBox account required): 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/smx4xeq1yhq8ymi/Viking Ocean Cruises (2022 to 2024).xlsm?dl=0

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2019 at 7:13 PM, harbourside said:

Waiting for Viking Tellus to release their itineraries.  Hoping they will have something new.

Would like something new down in my part of the world (New Zealand).  Maybe more in Australia, (Circle Australia), and the South Pacific.  Perth to Africa would be great.  Are you listening Viking.  Just hoping.  I am over the long flights to Europe  (24 hrs) and do not want to go back to Asia.  South America is probably my best bet at the moment.  Direct flight from NZ about 11 hours.    Just want to do another Viking cruise.

Hello Harborside - We are also doing Viking Mars Feb 2023. Have you already looked tours in each of the ports either through Viking or private tours? Would like to hear your thoughts, particularly so because you are from Auckland. Thanks in advance for sharing any information.

4 hours ago, Cleopatra99 said:

CharTrav ... have you seen this one ?

Viking Orion - departs late Oct 2022. 

Cairns to Bangkok Cruises with Viking® | Cairns to Bangkok (vikingcruises.com.au)

Yes I have and have updated my spreadsheet. Was going to upload yesterday but forgot. Will do later today. Actually - I thought I'd posted about my plans to do so on Friday but apparently the evil genie that swallows up my posts sometimes must have been active!!!!

Oops!! Checked - no genie. Posted that note to the Explorer Lounge thread. Palm hitting forehead. 

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Ok -- the sheet updated with the 2 new Orion cruises has been uploaded.  Two new cruises with the totally unimaginative albeit fully descriptive names of Honolulu to Cairns and Honolulu to Bangkok have been added for Orion this Fall. Honolulu to Bangkok arrives in time to link up with Bangkok, Bali & Beyond

By the way -- @Cleopatra99 -- the site I use does NOT include the Cairns to Bangkok cruise!  When I read your post last night it was in the wee hours of the morning (don't ask why I'm idiotic enough to stay up that late!) and I assumed you were telling me about the two I'd already added. Thus my response. I realize now the link you gave is for Australia (a .au URL).  Does that mean this cruise is targeted at customers in Australia & NZ only? It certainly makes sense to include this segment; I was wondering about that myself. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't expand the spreadsheet to include cruises listed on all three sites (appropriately labeled): .com, .au, and .uk (Is that all of them?). I did that for the UK passengers only Welcome Back cruises last year.  What is the collective opinion?  Should I? Yeah .. probably should .. I'll start doing that for my next update. A little embarrassed I hadn't done this before.

The process for downloading this updated sheet is the same as always.  If you already have a copy, just use the link provided on the ReadMe tab to get a fresh copy.  If you don't -- if you're new to this -- use this link (no DropBox account required):  https://www.dropbox.com/s/smx4xeq1yhq8ymi/Viking Ocean Cruises (2022 to 2024).xlsm?dl=0

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CharTrav said:

FYI.  Am looking at the .com.au site --  there are actually two more departing from Cairns! Cairns to Bali and Cairns to Singapore!

Hello again CharTrav ... make sure you get some sleep before you look into this further. 😁

This is from the local Viking advertising;

Last-minute voyages from Australia are now on sale! Rejuvenate at sea on a Viking sampler voyage. Three new 9, 13 and 16-day repositioning sampler voyages from Cairns to Bali, Singapore, or Bangkok, departing 26 October 2022, will provide an opportunity to indulge in the Viking onboard experience from just $2,395 per person in a Veranda stateroom.
Don't miss this rare opportunity to experience a sampler voyage close to home. Book now, as staterooms at that price won't last!

I've just had a look at prices.

16 days Cairns - Bangkok is about 30% less than we are paying for 15 days Barcelona - Bergen next May. Although to be honest, the Barcelona -  Bergen route is probably 30% more interesting (for us at least).

And yes, I assume they are using the opportunity to attract some new 'local' clients.

Unfortunately we already have plans for Oct / Nov.

1 hour ago, Cleopatra99 said:

Hello again CharTrav ... make sure you get some sleep before you look into this further. 😁

Last-minute voyages from Australia are now on sale! Rejuvenate at sea on a Viking sampler voyage. Three new 9, 13 and 16-day repositioning sampler voyages from Cairns to Bali, Singapore, or Bangkok, departing 26 October 2022, will provide an opportunity to indulge in the Viking onboard experience from just $2,395 per person in a Veranda stateroom.
Don't miss this rare opportunity to experience a sampler voyage close to home. Book now, as staterooms at that price won't last!

Here is a link to a .au site where I see these Cairns to Bali, Singapore, or Bangkok, departing 26 October 2022 "Last Minute Offers" can be found.

https://www.vikingcruises.com.au/cruise-offers.html

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Does anyone know if someone in North America can purchase a cruise from the Australian website?  Or Vice versa?

Clay, I believe I recall @Berlin Bear commenting that they were required to book on out-of-country sites (UK or US, I think) as there was no German Viking site. In addition to the obvious currency differences, I seem to recall implications regarding insurance as well. Might be worth a search. 

Also can't hurt to ask - either Viking or your TA - cheers. 🍺🥌

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cleopatra99 said:

First of all it’s still only 10pm for me right now. 😁

And yes - I’m treating the whole set of Orion cruises this Fall as one-offs. For now. When Viking has a bigger fleet and can dedicate another ship to service the Pacific these for now sampler cruises may become a regular thing. Time will tell. Or they may simply run two ships along the same but slightly shifted schedule that Orion typically does. In any case I don’t see it as wasted effort to serve as the ‘concentrator‘ for the schedules from the three (or should it be 4? Is there a site for Germany too?) sites so long as I clearly identify those cruises unique to a particular country site. That is, use a suffix like  (UK) or (AU) in name of a cruise to indicate that it's unique to that site. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, harbourside said:

The Cairns to Singapore cruise starts at $3595 Aust for 13 days with 3 included tours.

The Honolulu to Cairns cruise starts at $10,995 Aust for 13 days with no stops.  Weird pricing.  Is there a reason. 

That is interesting.

On the U.S. site the Honolulu to Cairns is currently advertised at $2,999 USD which should be about AU$4,500.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/asia-australia/honolulu-to-cairns/index.html

Additionally, the US site advertises: 

SPECIAL SAVINGS PLUS
     AIRFARE FROM $1,599 PER PERSON
     Expires September 30, 2022

While on Australian site, the Honolulu to Cairns cruise is advertised as starting at AU$10,995.  But it also shows a promotional offer to "SAVE UP TO AU$2,000 PER COUPLE."  I didn't see any reference to the cost of airfare or any airfare specials.

https://www.vikingcruises.com.au/oceans/cruise-destinations/asia-australia/honolulu-to-cairns/index.html

Quite a difference in the pricing for the same voyage on the U.S. vs AU sites.

Even if the Honolulu to Cairns voyage were AU$4,500, as @Harborside points out, it still seams over-priced compared to Cairns to Singapore cruise which starts at AU$3,595.  The Cairns to Singapore cruise is however listed as a "limited time offer" on the AU site.

Followed through on my proposal to concentrate the schedules posted at the main VO site along with the AU and UK sites. Have posted result to DropBox.  Included the three cruises from Cairns only being offered to the AU market: Cairns to Bangkok, Cairns to Singapore, and Cairns to Bali.

As I explain in much greater detail in the LogNotes, when comparing itinerary counts using the main search page (how I initially determine if major changes are being made to the schedule before digging down into the actual number of sailings) between the three sites (by year & by month), noticed the UK site (https://www.vikingcruises.co.uk/oceans/search-cruises/index.html) handles the case where a cruise is totally sold out for a given year or month differently (and you've filtered the site to show a specific year or month).  Basically it doesn't show it at all (sigh...) If you don't apply any filter or display all three years, everything is shown. You can then dig down into the details for a cruise to discover which sailings are sold out. In contrast, the main (.com) and AU sites display everything -- doesn't matter if every sailing of a cruise during a given month or year is sold out. It's similar to what I've seen when I view the Viking schedule using a mobile browser -- you can toggle between viewing all sailings for a given cruise including those that are sold out and just the ones that are available.

The differences between the three sites -- except for how the UK site operates -- are minimal. Honolulu to Bangkok is not displayed in the AU site search page but can be found if search for it directly.  Ditto for Atlantic Ocean Passage on the UK site. The former makes sense (one can't book it directly through the site -- you need to call); the latter makes no sense at all (not sold out; can book directly thru the site).  In any case, when I check the UK site, I won't be able to use the main search page as easily. Groan! 

So .. as always .. download a fresh copy using the link on the ReadMe tab or download using this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/smx4xeq1yhq8ymi/Viking Ocean Cruises (2022 to 2024).xlsm?dl=0

Enjoy! I'm a captive of my idle curiosity!😎

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 2:13 PM, UWDawg said:

That is interesting.

On the U.S. site the Honolulu to Cairns is currently advertised at $2,999 USD which should be about AU$4,500.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/asia-australia/honolulu-to-cairns/index.html

Additionally, the US site advertises: 

SPECIAL SAVINGS PLUS
     AIRFARE FROM $1,599 PER PERSON
     Expires September 30, 2022

While on Australian site, the Honolulu to Cairns cruise is advertised as starting at AU$10,995.  But it also shows a promotional offer to "SAVE UP TO AU$2,000 PER COUPLE."  I didn't see any reference to the cost of airfare or any airfare specials.

https://www.vikingcruises.com.au/oceans/cruise-destinations/asia-australia/honolulu-to-cairns/index.html

Quite a difference in the pricing for the same voyage on the U.S. vs AU sites.

Even if the Honolulu to Cairns voyage were AU$4,500, as @Harborside points out, it still seams over-priced compared to Cairns to Singapore cruise which starts at AU$3,595.  The Cairns to Singapore cruise is however listed as a "limited time offer" on the AU site.

The pricing on the Australian site has now been adjusted to $3595.00 which now makes sense compared to the original price of $10,995.00

Edited by harbourside
  • Like 4