Cruise Critic Community
ssmea03

Canada website and cruises in C$?

Comparing a Mediterranean cruise we've booked for Oct 2020 - Both the US and UK sites show Bella and Fantastica balcony rooms available, Canadian site shows only Aurea rooms at $1300 more than what we paid. If MSC doesn't get this fixed, or allow us to book on the US site, we won't be cruising MSC in the future.

I really  hoping that MSC will NOT force Canadians to us this site. As I am better off paying US dollars on the USA site,  The rate they are charging for cruise on the Canadian site  are outragious. so frustrating, 😞

2 hours ago, capitalbarry said:

I really  hoping that MSC will NOT force Canadians to us this site. As I am better off paying US dollars on the USA site,  The rate they are charging for cruise on the Canadian site  are outragious. so frustrating, 😞

Not really sure how  you are going to get around it tbh.

I did a mock booking earlier today and as soon as you get to adding passenger information, for country of residence on the US site it now  only offers you United States or Puerto Rico. 

But i agree with  you if the deals aren't as good it's going to be very frustrating.

I guess for awhile now we have heard people from Europe say North America gets  much better deals than they do. That might now be amended to the US get better deals than Europe and Canada....... 😢😢😢

Use viva voyages international site and it’ll let you book wherever you are in the world 

Just checked the Oct 2020 cruise on the Canadian site again and now it is showing all the same room avails as the American site. Price with exchange works out to be almost exactly the same. 

Here's another problem I just found out -- luckily way before my cruise in August.

I cannot access web-check in on the US site because it boots me to the Canadian site.

But on the Canadian site, it doesn't recognize my booking because it was booked through the US site.

I wonder if changing my VPN will make a difference.

Unfortunately not - your booking number is tied to the US office.  It's an IT problem for MSC to sort.  You SHOULD be able to access the booking on the US site.

I have a booking with a German TA and can only access that booking on the MSC Germany website.

Another thing to beware of is that Canadians cannot book transfers from ship to airport because the Canadians and Carnival have not signed the contracts yet. When you call Carnival US, they tell you to call the Canadian number. You call the Canadian number, and eventually, after a looooong wait, guess who answers?? The Americans! They are getting the overflow calls because the Canadians are overwhelmed and likely understaffed for the transition.  So, you tell the American you know they can't help because they've said so previously and ask to speak to the Canadians so they put you back in the queue and when you get through again eventually.... Guess who?? Another American!!  I finally (after about 4 days of this nonsense) ask to speak to a supervisor, and the lady comes back on and finally explains the part about the Canadians not having signed the contracts, so can't offer transfers.  So I say, let me get this straight..... Everyone else can book transfers, but not if you're Canadian, even though the Americans are still helping with the calls and booking? Yup she says.  I have all the sympathy for the poor employees dealing with the calls etc, but it's pretty horrible that the change to the Canadians was rolled out before they were ready. Geez, you'd think this was government, lol.  Rant over😁

9 minutes ago, Mitziismydog said:

Another thing to beware of is that Canadians cannot book transfers from ship to airport because the Canadians and Carnival have not signed the contracts yet. When you call Carnival US, they tell you to call the Canadian number. You call the Canadian number, and eventually, after a looooong wait, guess who answers?? The Americans! They are getting the overflow calls because the Canadians are overwhelmed and likely understaffed for the transition.  So, you tell the American you know they can't help because they've said so previously and ask to speak to the Canadians so they put you back in the queue and when you get through again eventually.... Guess who?? Another American!!  I finally (after about 4 days of this nonsense) ask to speak to a supervisor, and the lady comes back on and finally explains the part about the Canadians not having signed the contracts, so can't offer transfers.  So I say, let me get this straight..... Everyone else can book transfers, but not if you're Canadian, even though the Americans are still helping with the calls and booking? Yup she says.  I have all the sympathy for the poor employees dealing with the calls etc, but it's pretty horrible that the change to the Canadians was rolled out before they were ready. Geez, you'd think this was government, lol.  Rant over😁

Im confused - what has Carnival not signing a contract with Canadians have to do with a transfer for an MSC cruise?

28 minutes ago, Mattnvick said:

Im confused - what has Carnival not signing a contract with Canadians have to do with a transfer for an MSC cruise?

Sooooo sorry, I have 2 cruises booked one after the other, first with carnival, then with MSC, got confused in my rant as I've been going back and forth in the boards!  I should have been saying MSC!!!  Maybe I should delete the post, and resend, not wanting to confuse everyone. Thanks for asking! 

On 5/1/2019 at 12:37 PM, Beamafar said:

If you book in one jurisdiction, you can't access your booking in another.  I imagine this is going to be the case for those who booked in the US - the Canadian site will not recognise the booking.

I just went to the canadian site cannot log in using reservation number . i can sign in to account just shows cruise and days but no details

Price is more expensive on the Canadian site than the US, even with the inflated exchange rate and the credit card 2.5% processing fee.

I mocked booked a YC next Aug 2020 and it was $400 more on the Canadian site.

I wonder if my TA would be able to book it using USD?

3 minutes ago, xcell said:

Price is more expensive on the Canadian site than the US, even with the inflated exchange rate and the credit card 2.5% processing fee.

I mocked booked a YC next Aug 2020 and it was $400 more on the Canadian site.

I wonder if my TA would be able to book it using USD?

The work around is to use a US TA. Plenty of Brits use German TAs to get better deals. Ask for people to PM you recommendations here and on FB.

It really is ridiculous!  I've been looking at cruises for next year and in addition to the crazy pricing differences the Canadian website is just cumbersome.

We recently booked our first MSC cruise on the Seaview for next May.  We booked it on the new Canadian website in CND $.  Our total price was $217 CND more expensive than it would have been doing a mock booking of the same cruise on the US site.  But interestingly it was $47 CND cheaper on the Canadian site than the same booking would have been on the UK website.  So it appears that MSC is ripping off the UK customers just a little bit more than they are the Canadian customers.  

On 6/7/2019 at 11:02 AM, xcell said:

Here's another problem I just found out -- luckily way before my cruise in August.

I cannot access web-check in on the US site because it boots me to the Canadian site.

But on the Canadian site, it doesn't recognize my booking because it was booked through the US site.

I wonder if changing my VPN will make a difference.

On 6/10/2019 at 6:16 AM, frannie said:

I just went to the canadian site cannot log in using reservation number . i can sign in to account just shows cruise and days but no details

Don't know if you've all managed to solve this yet, but in my situation I booked with a US TA and previously was able to log in on the US site and make changes with my booking.  Now, however, it tries to kick me over to the Canadian site when I log in and then, same problem as xcell - doesn't recognize the booking.  BUT what has worked is that I've gone back to the US site and have entered just my booking number and first/last name (rather than logging in with MSC account) and then my booking still turns up there, and I can make some changes.  Not sure if I'll be able to web check-in or not though.

You can web check in but don't log into the account, just go directly to the web check in...

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Web-Check-in/Web-Check-In.aspx

I would like to log on to the website (US) to see what my cruise would be with the Voyager discount but it kicks me out to CDN site.  I can only approximate what the 5% would be and the US site is still cheaper than the CDN one.