Christmas cruising Cunard

I’m still on my cruise hunt for Christmas 2020.

we had a look into river cruises in Europe but as I’m a mum in my 40’s with a asd child whom will be 11 at the time of the cruise, it was decided that these cruises were too expensive and were “tailored” for the more elite clientele.

also researched canal boat hire. Basically a caravan on a canal. Looks good but also hard work and not suitable for December.

Now the plans are looking like the Cunard queen Victoria departure 23/12/20 for 14 nights or we could go p&o UK for a similar amount of $$ but the timing is not the best.

does anyone have suggestions for cruises out of England in December? We would want to arrive about a week earlier and at the end of the cruise either do another one or go to another part of Europe.

grumpy grandad really loves cruising Cunard. 

PO UK a great option they will have many cruises heading from the UK to warmer climates like the Canaries, Spain around that time.  We sailed Brittania and thought it great.  Cruises around holiday time will have plenty of activities for the kiddies as well.  Have sailed Cunard many times but not at Christmas but I hear they do Christmas well on board.

We did the Christmas cruise with Cunard to the Canaries in 2017/18 and it was just wonderful.  The weather, once we arrived in the Canaries was warm and sunny.  Cunard did great Christmas & New Year events including a midnight buffet on New Year's Eve.  The fireworks in Maderia was amazing.

There were a few children on board, but because we had the late sitting for dinner hardly saw them.  There was a special children's song event in the ballroom which was lovely.  Even though we travelled without children we attended.

The Christmas decorations are out of this world.

I can second the idea for a Christmas New Year cruise,  to  Funchal , Madiera . The port is full of cruise ships and several others usually anchor off the bay. I believe bookings are very heavy as its a popular cruise with many Brits doing it year after year.

Check New Years Eve in Madiera on google. Funchal is the port and main City.

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I can second the idea for a Christmas New Year cruise,  to  Funchal , Madiera . The port is full of cruise ships and several others usually anchor off the bay. I believe bookings are very heavy as its a popular cruise with many Brits doing it year after year.

Check New Years Eve in Madiera on google. Funchal is the port and main City.

I would like to do that one year.

My father is still very keen on Cunard and seeing the Canaries.

This cruise departs on the 23/12 where as the P&O one goes on the 19/12. 

Dad’s birthday is the day after the cruise ends or we could stay onto Hamburg for another 2 nights and celebrate his birthday on board.

For someone whom spent years professing his dislike for cruiseships he’s making up for lost time.

my issue at the moment is the cruise is showing as $725000 pp in all cabins.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree. The $725000 could be $7250.00 😊.

14 days on Queen Victoria ?  That is AU$517 per diem.   Sounds way over the top if it is just a jaunt from SOTON to Canaries and back, unless it is the price for Queens Grill or Princess Grill classes, suite or something.

Edited by NSWP

On 4/4/2019 at 7:21 AM, MicCanberra said:

P&O UK ships and cruises are more like Princess than P&O Australia.

They certainly are Mic. Having done several on both.  Middle of the road.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

We did the Canary Islands on Oriana from Southampton about 4 years ago. Very nice too.  I just hate the flights getting to and from Europe, had about 8 trips there.

Those long haul flights are terrible but a necessary evil to get there.

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

How many days is that?  Sounds way over the top if it is just a jaunt from SOTON to Canaries and back, unless it is yhe price for Queens Grill or Princess Grill classes, suite or something.

Xmas cruises are always a bit dearer but we do not know the length of the cruise or what cabin class.

7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Xmas cruises are always a bit dearer but we do not know the length of the cruise or what cabin class.

Found out is is 14 days on QV, ex Soton.  Perhaps Queens or Princess Grill with the toffs.  Tuxedo for brekky any one.  'Your kippers are served sir.' 

Edited by NSWP

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Found out is is 14 days on QV, ex Soton.  Perhaps Queens or Princess Grill with the toffs.  Tuxedo for brekky any one.  'Your kippers are served sir.' 

No tuxes on those chavs cruising out of Soton

23 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

No tuxes on those chavs cruising out of Soton

English Chav = Aussie Bogan, roughly.   A few on P&O UK, but not on Cunard.  Manchester United Soccer shirts, Adidas Track pants and Adidas trainers, white of course.  All topped off with a No.1 haircut or shaved head.  They would go real well on a Christmas Cunard Cruise.

Edited by NSWP

Inside cabin is showing $4869 pp  and $10,099 pp for Princess Grill - other categories already sold out.

So, there must be a mistake to be showing $725,000 unless there are quite a few people in the group booking - like lots!!

Agree there were no Bogans at all, but we met a few who couldn't help telling us how fantastic they were and how many amazing 'Cunard' cruises they did, and how the food is not as good as it used to be, etc etc. 

Still think it was a great cruise and Cunard really know how to do Christmas well.

50 minutes ago, NSWP said:

English Chav = Aussie Bogan, roughly.   A few on P&O UK, but not on Cunard.  Manchester United Soccer shirts, Adidas Track pants and Adidas trainers, white of course.  All topped off with a No.1 haircut or shaved head.  They would go real well on a Christmas Cunard Cruise.

don't forget their dicky bows.

We did the Murray River cruise over Christmas a few years ago and ha a great time  T%hey have a 3 day and a 4 day cruise and we took 7  days so on the changeover day those orf us who had booked 7 were taken on a 3 place wine tasting tour for free

They catered for all ages and Father Christmas joined us via a speed boat  I recommend it