Your favorite Specialty?

katesmarma

if you like meat, then try the Moderno Churrascaria which is a typical Brazilian restaurant with Brazilian meat pieces as if you were there in Copacabana. So gooood ! they call it "rodizio" ; it is a eat as you can system where the waiters bring their long spice on your table and cut the portion in your plate ... a spectacle for itself ...I lived there a few years and it is fully comparable; great salad buffet to start with, etc; etc. But you should book well in advance ... enjoy !

My favorite on the Sun in this order:

1) Le Bistro

2) Cagneys

3) Los Lobos

4) La Cucina

5) Moderno

My rankings for each ship differ, but for me the two steakhouses are top and the Brazilian steakhouse on bottom on the Sun.  I did not go to the Teppanyaki on the Sun.

I haven't been on the Sun, but I have had all of the specialty restaurants available on the Sun on other NCL ships. It's tough to rank them, but I would say Los Lobos was my favorite. We even paid out of pocket to eat there a second time on our Bliss sailing in February after our dining credits were used up. Next, I would say is Le Bistro. I do like all three of the other options, but I like them all about the same. I try to just mix it up on each sailing.

It is hard to rank them because every ship and sometimes even different sailings on the same ship are different. I loved Le Bistro on the Gem and had a horrible meal at La Cucina, completely reversed on the Breakaway.  I liked La Cucina so much I went twice. The most consistent food-wise in my experience (though the entertainment/chef varies) is Teppanyaki. I have always enjoyed the food and the silly show there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, katesmarma said:

On Sun in MAY.  Have dining perk. Do you have a favorite. Also can it be book in advance of cruising

I am allergic to shell fish so i have never tried Teppanyaki....I like Moderno. In fact for the salad bar alone we usually go twice during our cruise. I don't care for Cagneys just not impressed with it. I will say I am between Le Bistro and Moderno. I used to like La Cucina but then they limited their menus so i stopped going, specially the Calamari, now they serve same type of calamari that you can find at the Main dining room. Have a great cruise.

Edited by spanishguy1970

I loved Teppanyaki on the Sun. I had the chicken and my DH had the steak & shrimp. Both meals were excellent. We book Teppanyaki on every NCL cruise. However, I do prefer the smaller restaurant venues like the one on the Sun. My second choice is always Cagney's.

1 hour ago, NLH Arizona said:

They are very good about asking if anyone is allergic to anything and make accomodations.

Oh really? we did not know that. But how is that possible? they cook everything in front of you.. thank you for the information.

5 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

Oh really? we did not know that. But how is that possible? they cook everything in front of you.. thank you for the information.

My husband is allergic to shellfish and Teppanyaki is our favorite, hands down!  We tell them about the allergy and they cook the other people's shrimp last.  I think you also have to be the first sitting so the surface is "clean".

• Like 1

Bistro  (duck or the lamb) followed by Cagneys(this one really depends as one thing that was great last time can be meh on a different ship) - (both are trumped for me if you have the seafood option (mind blank I cant remember the name)  on the larger ships - then that's a first) - just dont get the whole Teppanyaki thing but maybe I'm missing something - the whole idea of dinner having to be a show sends shivers down my spine lol.

1 hour ago, spanishguy1970 said:

They can also cook things in the back.  They will make it work for you.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 1

We have found over many cruises that we get a better steak in Le Bistro than Cagney's

for us Le bistro # 1Cagney's for seafood #2  LaCucino  #3 but not all dishes are great, we stick to Chicken parma and Osso Bucco

On a 7 day cruise  we will eat at Le bistro 4 nites.

Not keen on Moderno as it's extremely salty  but if we go I will stick to there salad bar as  there's lots of selection.

3 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

They cook the steak/chicken away from the seafood. Plenty of distance to not cross contaminate.

DW hates seafood and had no issue whatsoever.

As stated let them know you allergic to shellfish, they do an excellent job.

We love Teppanyaki and Cagney's. I would probably say Teppanyaki is my favorite, but Cagney's is my husband's favorite. Come to find out though, you can only make a reservation for 2 or 4 people prior to sailing. I called them yesterday about our June cruise, and if you have 3 people, you have to wait until you're on the ship to make a reservation (and hope they're not sold out). This is something I don't understand. Makes no sense to me. 

like others have said: it depends on the ship and your tastes. For us: Le Bistro is always our first choice, Modernos next and probably Cagney's after that. We are different form many as we do not care for Los Lobos. Being raised in So Ca, lived in Texas and NM we like more spice. We find the food relatively bland, but it does depend on what your experience has been. 

12 hours ago, Mrs.C05 said:

Come to find out though, you can only make a reservation for 2 or 4 people prior to sailing. I called them yesterday about our June cruise, and if you have 3 people, you have to wait until you're on the ship to make a reservation (and hope they're not sold out). This is something I don't understand. Makes no sense to me. 

Make a reservation for 4, they're going to use a 4 top for 3 or 4 so you're not keeping anyone from eating.  

12 minutes ago, RedRover96 said:

Make a reservation for 4, they're going to use a 4 top for 3 or 4 so you're not keeping anyone from eating.  

That makes sense, but if I make a reservation for 4, I am paying for 4, when it's only 3 people. Do you think they'll charge me for 4 people if I wait to get on the ship?

I would cast another vote for LeBistro.  The Los Lobos on the Sun was also pretty good.  I also thought that the meats served at Moderno were too salty for my tastes, so I would put them on the bottom of my ranking, but others seem to like it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mrs.C05 said:

That makes sense, but if I make a reservation for 4, I am paying for 4, when it's only 3 people. Do you think they'll charge me for 4 people if I wait to get on the ship?

I guess if you are paying for a specialty restaurant vs the dining plan that could be an issue.  I’d get a hold of who you booked the cruise through and ask, or I believe anyone can call NCL and book a dinner reservation vs online.

1 hour ago, travelnap said:

I would cast another vote for LeBistro.  The Los Lobos on the Sun was also pretty good.  I also thought that the meats served at Moderno were too salty for my tastes, so I would put them on the bottom of my ranking, but others seem to like it.

I have always like moderno, recently i don't eat a lot of meat and i love their 3 leches cake. I select the meat i like and just enjoy the salad bar, that said, i did notice that on the Breakaway the meat was really really salty, we had to say something. I am hoping that on our coming cruise they lay off the salt on the meats.

3 hours ago, Mrs.C05 said:

they don't charge until you go there to dine - they take your key card and charge your account - if only 3 people have dined, that's all they will charge you for.