Tipping on private excursions in British Isles

jagsfan

So often I read posts about tipping not being common outside the US. 

What is the custom for the guides/drivers especially in the British Isles? Yes or no?

i think my question is:

Are the prices set to give the excursion employees adequate compensation without gratuities, or should we carry £s and €s to be able to tip?

i don’t want to stiff anyone. 

The common misconception from US folk is that we don't tip over this way. A more accurate description would be that you don't have to tip because of wages here but a certain portion of people do for various services.  Of course, there are people here that do not tip at all that make up another portion.

Our tipping practices are also different to the US. People commonly 'round up/go a bit higher' here so a £45 restaurant bill may be paid as £50 and a £8.50 taxi journey may be rounded up to 9 or 10 pounds. General percentage of overall tipping in a restaurant is around 10% give or take. If service has been below expectations then a tip is often not left at all.

As far as tours/drivers go I have seen folk give money to the driver on exiting a coach/pass a collection round although there are people that don't do this and just get off the bus/pass the collection box to the next person.

Tip as you see fit.

Edited by Velvetwater

Of course, my £s and €s are in 20s and 10s. 

I’ll need to get some broken down. 

I’ll have a stacks of $1s for tipping Room Service, but I’m not going to stick anyone off the ship with US money that would be a pain to convert. 

As a UK resident, we do tip waiters/hairdresser/taxi driver etc and it is general practice to tip a coach driver on an organised coach tour. 

Generally this will be a small amount, just a couple of pounds. But no-one will chase you down the street if you don't leave any tip. 

In cafe or restaurant where you are served at the table, Brits generally leave a small tip or round the bill up. 

Don't forget to pack rain coats and sunscreen,  summer in the UK is variable 😃

My response much the same as other Brits above.

Tipping isn't expected as it is in the States, but for tour guides, transfer drivers, wait staff etc most Brits tip if the service is good to great.

10% would be tops.

Brits don't tip if service is below-par.

Nor does JB tip if a meal is sub-standard - unfair on the wait staff perhaps, but they should go get a job in a better establishment.

When paying by card, POS machines in many dining establishments give the customer the option of adding a tip before hitting the "go" button, much like in the US.

Employers in Britain (and I think the rest of Europe) have to comply with a minimum legal wage. Not generous, and most service staff wages aren't above the minimum, but it's enough to live on.

Wages provide the bread - tips provide the jam (jelly) on top, and have to be earned.

In pubs & other places where it's not all table service (for instance find your own table, order food and drinks at the bar, pay at the cash register etc) reduce the tip accordingly or don't tip.

A few things to watch out for........

In some establishments, esp in central London and some other tourist areas, accompaniments to the main course like potatoes & veg aren't included - they're an add-on (though by law they have to be priced on the menu). Disgraceful nickel-and-diming. :classic_angry:

Much more commonly, an increasing number of eateries add a service charge at 10%, 15%, 18%, even 20%. :classic_angry:. Again, by law has to be mentioned on the menu. That's more than enough, no need to add a tip.

And some still add a table charge (a couple of pounds per seat) "for the bread" etc. More nickel-and-diming. :classic_angry:

I avoid all those places. But that can be difficult in tourist areas, so watch out and just don't leave a tip on top, even for excellent service.

When paying by card, you'll probably be given the option to be charged in your own currency, "for your convenience". DECLINE that offer, the exchange rate they use will be anywhere between rip-off and criminal.

And I've come across places around the world that automatically set their POS machines to the card's currency, so do check.:classic_angry: If it's not in local currency insist that it be changed back - and if you included a tip tell them to remove it for their cheek.

To summarise, tipping in Europe is optional, no-one will chase you down the street if you leave nothing.

JB :classic_smile: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Canuker said:

Don't be cowed.

In the UK, if you want to give a tip, give a tip.

So if you're happy to export the North American tipping culture into the UK, I guess you'd be happy for me to export the UK tipping culture into North America. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, John Bull said:

So if you're happy to export the North American tipping culture into the UK, I guess you'd be happy for me to export the UK tipping culture into North America. :classic_rolleyes:

Tipping culture differences apply to cruises as well and can be confusing. A couple of examples, P&O UK are ceasing auto gratuities from this summer, there is still some confusion about if this means tips are included in the fare because P&O don't say so, they are being ambiguous. My 'other' cruise line, Marella, have included tips in the fare for many years. We still get questions and discussions about how much you should tip, the answer is nothing, the crew already get the 'tips' and you can tip extra if you want for the genuine reason, that the crew member has enhanced your enjoyment of the cruise over and above what is expected of them. Also, don't bow to peer pressure from other cruisers about how much they tip. A lot of them are boasting about it and/or lying about the amount. Marella even remind you aboard and on your cruise card that tips are included in the fare.

I have never not tipped the guide, and also almost always the bus driver, on any tour anywhere in the world.

The amount I give depends on how well each did their job. For a half day tour, if USD, I give $5 each … if Euros, I give 5 Es.

Double that amount for an all day tour. More for both lengths if the tour was outstandingly well done.

However, if they post a sign on the bus or make a comment about tips, hinting they are expected, I often reduce the amount I give, as I don't appreciate begging for tips. Do a good job, and the tips will come from grateful passengers!!

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. When in the UK, tip as the residents do. Listen to John Bull, cabin4three, and Velvetwater. Don't mess up a system that works for them by over tipping.

• Like 2

If everyone on a coach tour in the UK gave a tip of a fiver to the guide and driver they would think it was their birthday.

In reality most people just walk away after a cruise coach excursion, from what I've seen anyway and that's all nationalities.

One of our best tours ever was the trip back to Heathrow airport from Dover including Canterbury. This was through Princess. The guide was fantastic, and I tipped him accordingly. He seemed very surprised.

On 4/5/2019 at 4:59 PM, John Bull said:

No problem - the way you described UK tipping in your 9:40 AM Thursday post is not really that different from the approach in the US - possibly excepting the 10% benchmark you referenced - in the US it’s probably 15% - and again reflective of quality of service.

23 hours ago, davecttr said:

Not including northern Ireland?

Northern Ireland is In UK so £, Southern Ireland,  Eire, is €. Some overlap near the border where you might be able to use either.