Cruise Critic Community
ak1004

Celebrity Terrible Customer Service

We booked a veranda cabin on Reflection for June 14 cruise to BRITISH ISLES. Few days after the final payment, the price dropped by almost $2,000 CAD for three of us. Another week and the price was $3,000 CAD less!!

Asked my TA to call them to see if there anything they can do. After spending 30 minutes and being transferred few times, they finally offered to upgrade us to a concierge C1 cabin. The TA asked if we would keep the perks from the original booking, and got a positive response. The celebrity representative also said that the new cabin is bigger, which is obviously incorrect.

Now I got an email from Celebrity saying that I have a balance due. I used my onboard credit to purchase the shore excursions, and this credit has been removed as a result of the "upgrade".

Not only they dropped the price by almost $3,000 CAD, they lied about the new cabin (which is not much of an upgrade), and messed up the original booking.

Very disappointing customer service and questionable pricing policies. 

43 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

We booked a veranda cabin on Reflection for June 14 cruise to BRITISH ISLES. Few days after the final payment, the price dropped by almost $2,000 CAD for three of us. Another week and the price was $3,000 CAD less!!

Asked my TA to call them to see if there anything they can do. After spending 30 minutes and being transferred few times, they finally offered to upgrade us to a concierge C1 cabin. The TA asked if we would keep the perks from the original booking, and got a positive response. The celebrity representative also said that the new cabin is bigger, which is obviously incorrect.

Now I got an email from Celebrity saying that I have a balance due. I used my onboard credit to purchase the shore excursions, and this credit has been removed as a result of the "upgrade".

Not only they dropped the price by almost $3,000 CAD, they lied about the new cabin (which is not much of an upgrade), and messed up the original booking.

Since it's your TA that is dealing with Celebrity then you should go thru your TA. Maybe she requested the wrong category etc. Not all categories have free perks. It could just be an easy fix and sometimes a little confusion happens.

My question: How can you say "Celebrity horrible customer service" when you haven't dealt with them at all and you don't know what exactly happened?

44 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Sorry this happened to you, yet when one does not understand the policy in advance, then disappointment sets in with that lack of understanding. 

I Am surprised that your TA did not better prepare you for this possibility. 

Try to have a great time regardless. 

Bon voyage 

Rhetoric back onto your TA.

With that large a price drop you may have been better off to cancel and rebook at the lower rate if the perks were the same as you had on the original booking.  We had a similar situation a couple of years ago and cancelled and rebooked, we lost $900 deposit but rebooked at a rate that was $3000 less so mitigated $2100 of the price drop.

it seems that your TA is not very familiar with Celebrity or they would know that veranda, Concierge and Aqua cabins are all the same size with the same decor. Concierge does get you more Captains Club points, a lunch in the MDR on embarking, a bottle of sparkling wine, canapés delivered to your cabin every afternoon and footstools on your veranda.

Bottom line: Once you are locked in Celebrity owes you nothing more than what you signed up for. I agree bad PR and it may drive some customers away, but Celebrity doesn't seem to care.

OP I can understand your pain that is a big drop.....

However, booking early is the route most of us take especially when we need to sort flights, hotels etc. People with flexibility may wait until after final payment and get a bargain, equally there may not be any rooms left at all, there may only be rooms in poor locations or rooms that are left may be more expensive...

Whilst your TA may not have given you the best advice or communicated terms and conditions  you can’t expect ‘to have your cake and eat it too’...the privilege of booking early and then expecting a bargain. If you buy a dress and a week later it is half price a shop doesn’t refund you. If you book an AI resort there will always be the guest who has booked last minute and grabbed a great deal.

As a gesture of goodwill Celebrity will often offer free upgrades to higher categories after final payment which they have for you. You do have to be realistic about what you can/should expect them to do. The cost of the upgrade from standard balcony at present to concierge for three of you is about £1,300 on the U.K. website so Celebrity are offering you something....Concierge cabins do have some advantages as others have indicated.

See if your TA can sort any better deal for you then put it behind you and enjoy your cruise...

7 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I think this is a known glitch in the Celebrity system with cabin changes. Your TA and the Celebrity rep did nothing wrong in this regard. You need to contact your TA again to contact Celebrity to get the OBC put back on your booking and have it applied to your shore excursion tpurchases. I think it will work out. Regarding the cabin, yes it is no different size-wize but it is a more expensive category, usually in a better location so it's something. Large price drops after final payment are common so don't let that ruin your cruise because, likely air fare has increased enough to make a last minute booking unfeasible. Enjoy your cruise!

When I called out TA to upgrade our cabins after final payment, out TA called Celebrity while putting me on hold but with frequent update. I never had a direct interaction with Celebrity. If there is a mistake, I cannot tell who is to be blamed. In any case, you should call your TA to sort out the problem. There were a couple recent threads mentioned the OBC got removed by mistake after an upgrade. Both got fixed after calling their TA to contact Celebrity. I hope your issue would be solved likewise.

Thank you everyone for replying.

My TA did not have to "prepare me for this possibility". After 12 cruises, I know very well how the system works, and I know that after the final payment, they owe me nothing. I just asked her to call them in order to try and get something as a gesture of good will.

When she called, she put me on call during the final stage of the call. I heard how she asked about the perks and the representative confirmed. I also heard how the representative confirmed that concierge cabin is bigger than veranda. My TA is in business for 30+ years, but she is not supposed to know all cabins on all cruise ships (especially considering that concierge IS bigger on some of the older ships). Celebrity is not the only line as you probably know, and knowing dozens cabins on all line is impossible.

btw, the current cost of the upgrade from veranda to concierge on this cruise is less than $50 CAD pps. So giving an "upgrade" that is worth less than $150 CAD after a price drop of $3,000, and then removing a $400+ credit is outrageous. 

The price drop was gradual and very well timed in order to make the cancellation and re booking not economical. Looks like Celebrity are very good at it, based on other topics. btw, NEVER happened to me with other lines.

So yes, it is a terrible customer service. And yes, Celebrity doesn't seem to care. Why would they? Based on some of the responses here, they have a very loyal customer base, and their fans don't really care about small things like $3,000 price drop days after the final payment.

But years, my TA will definitely call and fix it. I just thought I will share the story so it might help others.

Blame TA.0, not Celebrity.  And learn:  Get it in writing!  Email is God's gift to avoid these kinds of problems.  (This applies to all transactions, especially those involving money.  Not just Celebrity.)

9 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

...After 12 cruises, I know very well how the system works, and I know that after the final payment, they owe me nothing.  I just asked her to call them in order to try and get something as a gesture of good will.

So in this case Celebrity did in fact give you something as a gesture of good will.  It may not have been what you wanted, but since you know how it works and know they owe you nothing then one would think you would be happy they at least gave you something. 

It's unfortunate to see the price go down after final payment, this has happened to me and it's quite frustrating.  But since you know how this works I'm confused as to why you are surprised.  It's really no different than purchasing anything else (car, flights, clothes, furniture, etc.) - the price can and often times does go down at a later time.

Knowing this, you have two options - either purchase early and get a good cabin location (but run the risk of missing out on a better price after final payment), or wait until last minute and possibly snag a good last-minute price (perhaps at the expense of a poor cabin location or higher airfare).

Posted (edited)

So the price drop was $3000 c total for 3 people after final payment?  On a veranda cabin on a popular itinerary?  That happens.  Has to us.

The cruise line will hold prices high as long as they can hoping to fill the ship with people who have to have a particular cabin or to book airfare and hotels.  Also did you get any other perks OBC, packages, etc. by booking early? What is the airfare at this point? Hotels?  You  could look at the entire package to determine the value.

You were right to ask for a goodwill offer.  Your TA probably could have negotiated more?  Now see what that TA can get done, get the error on the OBC fixed maybe more OBC either from the line or the TA.  Good luck.

Edited by happy cruzer

16 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

Blame TA.0, not Celebrity.  And learn:  Get it in writing!  Email is God's gift to avoid these kinds of problems.  (This applies to all transactions, especially those involving money.  Not just Celebrity.)

Why would I blame TA for Celebrity mistake and lie? And yes, the TA was promised an email copy of the new booking. Never got it. Instead got an email that I owe them money.

So the only thing I will learn from this experience is to avoid Celebrity if possible.

7 minutes ago, cricketgirl said:

So in this case Celebrity did in fact give you something as a gesture of good will.  It may not have been what you wanted, but since you know how it works and know they owe you nothing then one would think you would be happy they at least gave you something. 

Yes. They gave an "upgrade" that is worth $150 CAD, and took a credit that is worth "$400+ CAD. Plus lied about the cabin.

11 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

So the price drop was $3000 c total for 3 people after final payment?  On a veranda cabin on a popular itinerary?  That happens.  Has to us.

The cruise line will hold prices high as long as they can hoping to fill the ship with people who have to have a particular cabin or to book airfare and hotels.  Also did you get any other perks OBC, packages, etc. by booking early? What is the airfare at this point? Hotels?  You  could look at the entire package to determine the value.

You were right to ask for a goodwill offer.  Your TA probably could have negotiated more?  Now see what that TA can get done, get the error on the OBC fixed maybe more OBC either from the line or the TA.  Good luck.

I did get the perks as I mentioned, and they promised to keep those perks. A promise they broke the same day.

I don't know if my TA could have negotiated more. Probably not as the next category is a suite, and it is more expensive than my original cost of the veranda.

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I did get the perks as I mentioned, and they promised to keep those perks. A promise they broke the same day.

I don't know if my TA could have negotiated more. Probably not as the next category is a suite, and it is more expensive than my original cost of the veranda.

If your TA could probably not have negotiated more what exactly did you expect Celebrity to do?

As yet you don’t know if Celebrity will honour your OBC, several others have posted that it often takes a phone call to settle. The fact that your TA witnessed the promise of keeping your perk he/she should be able to sort it.

14 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

As stated by myself and others, a call will remedy the loss of perks and OBC.  Depending on the cost difference, and whether you are willing to pay it, it may be beneficial to upgrade to the suite for a larger cabin and better dining.  I can sense your anger but you are taking it out on people that really are trying to help you resolve this in a matter most beneficial to you, based on the circumstances (past final payment date).

3 minutes ago, chemmo said:

If your TA could probably not have negotiated more what exactly did you expect Celebrity to do?

As yet you don’t know if Celebrity will honour your OBC, several others have posted that it often takes a phone call to settle. The fact that your TA witnessed the promise of keeping your perk he/she should be able to sort it.

I expect them not to lie about the cabin size, and then to honor what they promised. Yes, she should be able to sort it, but each time she calls them, she spends 30+ minutes on line.

I did price adjustments several time and an upgradr after final payment. Every time it was my TA talking to celebrity while I am on hold. I have never heard the voice of the CSR at Celebrity. So all information I got was through my TA. It seems OP has a conference call.

7 minutes ago, NemoCrownie said:

As stated by myself and others, a call will remedy the loss of perks and OBC.  Depending on the cost difference, and whether you are willing to pay it, it may be beneficial to upgrade to the suite for a larger cabin and better dining.  I can sense your anger but you are taking it out on people that really are trying to help you resolve this in a matter most beneficial to you, based on the circumstances (past final payment date).

I considered it, but the difference in price is almost $1,500 CAD, plus I'm losing the perks which is another ~$1,000+. Not worth.

I'm not taking it on anyone, I'm just surprised that some people are defending Celebrity. They screwed up big time, and yet some people find nothing wrong in what they did.

Couple years ago we book a cruise with Princess. Few weeks before the cruise, they called us and told us that the cruise is overbooked. They offered us a full refund, PLUS an option to book a FREE cruise to anywhere in the world up to 14 days, including FREE flights, PLUS a cabin upgrade from mini suite to suite. This is what I call a customer service. Celebrity, watch and learn.

34 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Thank you everyone for replying.

My TA did not have to "prepare me for this possibility". After 12 cruises, I know very well how the system works, and I know that after the final payment, they owe me nothing. I just asked her to call them in order to try and get something as a gesture of good will.

When she called, she put me on call during the final stage of the call. I heard how she asked about the perks and the representative confirmed. I also heard how the representative confirmed that concierge cabin is bigger than veranda. My TA is in business for 30+ years, but she is not supposed to know all cabins on all cruise ships (especially considering that concierge IS bigger on some of the older ships). Celebrity is not the only line as you probably know, and knowing dozens cabins on all line is impossible.

btw, the current cost of the upgrade from veranda to concierge on this cruise is less than $50 CAD pps. So giving an "upgrade" that is worth less than $150 CAD after a price drop of $3,000, and then removing a $400+ credit is outrageous. 

The price drop was gradual and very well timed in order to make the cancellation and re booking not economical. Looks like Celebrity are very good at it, based on other topics. btw, NEVER happened to me with other lines.

So yes, it is a terrible customer service. And yes, Celebrity doesn't seem to care. Why would they? Based on some of the responses here, they have a very loyal customer base, and their fans don't really care about small things like $3,000 price drop days after the final payment.

But years, my TA will definitely call and fix it. I just thought I will share the story so it might help others.

Okay, I accept that from your point of view because you did not get what you wanted when you wanted after final payment. And you know that X or any other line owes you nothing after final payment and in any case you wanted to pursue 'equity' at a level which you believe is due you, correct? That I can understand, not accept, but understand in this situation

I take it that every other line you have sailed with a similar situation, ala price reductions after final payment, you have received either a reduction in price or fantastic upgrade or more OBC etc.. that those policies need to transfer to X?

I get it, you, like myself have booked a fare where we were happy never thinking that prices could drop as much as they did. Then try to angle as to how to make this our advantage as much as possible. The difference being, I would not be upset and accuse X of poor/bad customer service due to this situation.

As for 'cabin sizes', is it possible that the "specific" upgraded cabin offered to you is larger? Appreciably? Maybe not.

I wish I could try this with the airlines, not sure if you are flying to the port or not, yet I bet that their fares have fluctuated since first viewing them and actual purchase. For me, they were never low enough for me to pay the cancellation fee and rebook. Those fares definitely changed after my final payment was due, i.e. at booking.

Most price reductions/increases are calculated, to be sure, yet to think that they were specific to you is a different thought altogether.

I can only presume you have not done a search on this topic here on CC or was too upset by your experience to do so and just wanted to vent about what X would not 'give' you in exchange or from your other cruise-line experiences, all lines are different and each experience will vary pending on understanding and approach.

I also get that many of us want to get the most out of our discretionary vacation money, yet to accuse X of something which is almost universal in cruisedom in terms of pricing, is really not too fair, IMO.

You did cite that Suites were more expensive than what you paid for your cabin, my questions are: is the cost difference significant and did those prices come down as well? There begs a decision as to if it is worth it to upgrade or not...

In the end you are the arbiter of the value to you and you only.

You have found, I trust, that most of us understand the policy and try to work it to our advantage within the guidelines which are set forth by X. We do not get upset, often, by this but take it into consideration our timing of bookings and cabins and the knowledge that when we make the final payment we are happy with our selection and price and if something better can be had, we will go for it, if not, we smile and look forward to our selected sailing.

bon voyage

Just another reason to ALWAYS make your initial booking after FINAL payment. They have cabins to spare and the upgrades and incentives  to offer all at reduce price. 105 cruises and still book after FINAL.

1 minute ago, ak1004 said:

I expect them not to lie about the cabin size, and then to honor what they promised. Yes, she should be able to sort it, but each time she calls them, she spends 30+ minutes on line.

Spending time on the telephone for you is her role...

Yes, you were given misinformation about the concierge cabin size but it still offers some advantages over what you originally booked.

Honestly, I do feel for you...my biggest concern is that the price change is souring you holiday experience and you haven’t boarded yet. I am not sticking up for Celebrity but we have also used other lines and their policies are very much the same on pricing after final payment...

3 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I considered it, but the difference in price is almost $1,500 CAD, plus I'm losing the perks which is another ~$1,000+. Not worth.

I'm not taking it on anyone, I'm just surprised that some people are defending Celebrity. They screwed up big time, and yet some people find nothing wrong in what they did.

Couple years ago we book a cruise with Princess. Few weeks before the cruise, they called us and told us that the cruise is overbooked. They offered us a full refund, PLUS an option to book a FREE cruise to anywhere in the world up to 14 days, including FREE flights, PLUS a cabin upgrade from mini suite to suite. This is what I call a customer service. Celebrity, watch and learn.

Ahhh, Princess had an adverse condition which allowed you other options and OBC and perks...

Not so on this sailing with X. not a fair comparison I believe.

What perks are you losing by upgrading to a suite? Suite guests, or so I thought and have read, receive all four (4) perks some upgraded, and a separate dining room.

What have I missed in this particular posting?

bon voyage

Perhaps the X rep  had bad info about cabin size and did not lie intentionally.  No reason to do so..

We all know the caution about losing perks when you change the res.

The TA should be better informed or do more research research. Maybe throw you some OBC.

I do agree that booking and switching around  is much more difficult nowadays.  Too much price and perk fluctation with no rhyme or reason.!