Credit Cards in Europe

TiogaCruiser

I’m requesting feedback from recent experienced cruisers to Netherlands and Norway please.

I’ve read several places that you need a Chip and PIN CC for Europe.

I seem to recall a thread in the last couple of years where the OP had a PIN that was too short (4 digit).

When I asked at my bank about this 2 people said I didn’t need a PIN, but could request one. They said it (PIN) was only for a cash advance and not regular use. 🤔 Is Chip and PIN old technology now? I’ve read the documentation for my card and there is nothing addressing this. I don’t want to arrive in Amsterdam and have CC issues.😏 We are on our own in Netherlands for the first several days.

I’m asking for a PIN on my new BoA Platinum Rewards Visa today. I will carry my ATM card for my travel account. It has a 4 digit PIN.

Anyone have recent experience?

Any suggestions?

Not sure if I understand the question correctly, but I live in The Netherlands and the way I use my credit cards over here is indeed with a 4 digit pincode. That works both for taking money "out of the wall" and making purchases and paying for hotels etc. Hope this helps.

No chip is not old technology.  Most countries have it in their credit cards.

All my credit cards are chip and pin. (Remember I am Canadian). I can tap (under a certain amount) or I can enter my pin here.  In Europe normally my pin is required.  Never had a problem but I’ve not been without a chip and pin card for many years.

• Like 1

We have been to several countries in Europe over the past few years and have not had any problems with our cards.    All american issued credit cards now have a "chip."    However, the card is designed so that they do not require a "pin" to use.    I happen to have pins for mine, but have yet to use the pin except at ATM machines.    

I do appreciate in Europe how they bring the credit card device to your table at a restaurant and YOU complete the transaction yourself-- in other words, the waiter never touches your card.       Wish it were that way here in the U-S.    

• Like 1

Just now, Swice said:

We have been to several countries in Europe over the past few years and have not had any problems with our cards.    All american issued credit cards now have a "chip."    However, the card is designed so that they do not require a "pin" to use.    I happen to have pins for mine, but have yet to use the pin except at ATM machines.    

I do appreciate in Europe how they bring the credit card device to your table at a restaurant and YOU complete the transaction yourself-- in other words, the waiter never touches your card.       Wish it were that way here in the U-S.    

Very few, if any, US banks offer chip and pin for purchases. But I've had the same kind of transactions in Europe. When I first got the chip card, I would warn the server that it was chip and sign, not chip and pin. But in more recent trips, either they've come to expect that a US card will require a signature (on the little device), or the little devices have been programmed to recognize which cards use a PIN and which require a signature, because they "know" to ask for a signature.

The only place I recall not having chip and pin being an issue was in Iceland. Some of the more remote service stations keep the pumps open when the place is unstaffed. You have to have a chip and pin for that. So we made sure to top up the tank during "business hours." 

just a reminder to CALL YOUR BANK a week before you leave and tell them the dates and cities you will be traveling so that they won't flag and decline your card.

In some countries they prefer folks use credit cards as opposed to changing US money to local.  Still good to have a little bit for small local stores or vendors.  I was in Copenhagen and the taxi drive was amazed I wanted to use their currency instead of card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I’m requesting feedback from recent experienced cruisers to Netherlands and Norway please.

I seem to recall a thread in the last couple of years where the OP had a PIN that was too short (4 digit).

When I asked at my bank about this 2 people said I didn’t need a PIN, but could request one. They said it (PIN) was only for a cash advance and not regular use. 🤔 Is Chip and PIN old technology now? I’ve read the documentation for my card and there is nothing addressing this. I don’t want to arrive in Amsterdam and have CC issues.😏 We are on our own in Netherlands for the first several days.

I’m asking for a PIN on my new BoA Platinum Rewards Visa today. I will carry my ATM card for my travel account. It has a 4 digit PIN.

Any suggestions?

In the past 3 or so years we have had few issues using Chip/Signature in Europe.

our only problems have been with some automated terminals such as train stations (tickets), gas stations, parking garages, and some toll roads in France.  In Holland there have been numerous problems with US credit cards at train stations outside of Amsterdam.  No problem at Amsterdam Central.

Hank

Many European countries now have tap and go technology for purchase up to the value of  circa €30.

If you want to withdraw money from an ATM you will need a 4 digit pin.

signing a credit card slip is almost unheard of these days.

• Like 1

US credit cards/debit cards are chip and sign, not chip and PIN (there are a couple of exceptions).  Even though it has the chip on the front and you have a PIN number, it doesn't work in the unmanned kiosks like gas pumps, toll booths, ticket booths.   If you go to a restaurant or store, you may have to let them know that you need to sign.   At ATMs (bancomats), your cards will work just like they do in the US - entry your 4 digit pin.   

I don't know of too many "tap and go" cards yet - just one of mine has it (my Hilton AMEX).  Apparently, if you have any AMEX card, you may request your card be converted to T&G...

One of my hotels I worked with had just installed special terminals for CCs - the guest would insert the card themselves.  90% of them had to sign on the screen, and maybe only 10% (if that) entered PINs.  Outside of Europeans, the only ones I saw with PINS were employees of Citi at a conference - and many of them didn't know they had to have a PIN and had to call their own CC office to get it!!

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

In the past 3 or so years we have had few issues using Chip/Signature in Europe.

our only problems have been with some automated terminals such as train stations (tickets), gas stations, parking garages, and some toll roads in France.  In Holland there have been numerous problems with US credit cards at train stations outside of Amsterdam.  No problem at Amsterdam Central.

Hank

Yes, you will need a chip and pin for any of the machines you use for the underground, train stations, boat, trolley, bus etc.  

2 hours ago, Swice said:

Most Canadian restaurants are like that, and even the pizza delivery to your front door. Having your card in sight at all times during the process greatly enhances security. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Most Canadian restaurants are like that, and even the pizza delivery to your front door. Having your card in sight at all times during the process greatly enhances security. 

Yes, it does. There was a scandal 10-15 years ago with employees at a high-end NYC department store swiping credit cards twice--once for the store and once for a device that "captured" the number.

3 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Any suggestions?

One suggestion.... While you can use both your Debit  and Credit  cards in Europe  with pin and chip,    Know that if you use your CC at an ATM  you going to get charged$$ and interest fees for a cash advance.    Using the Debit card  only gets a small user fee.    You may know that already.

I use almost exclusively CC in europe as recently as  5 months ago.  I seldom  if ever  use cash   even cabs now take cc.

41 minutes ago, dundeene said:

Yes, you will need a chip and pin for any of the machines you use for the underground, train stations, boat, trolley, bus etc.  

We recently noticed a change with our chip signature cards.  They now work in some machines with lower cost transactions.  What happens is they do not even ask for a Pin but the transaction works.  The problem we have is that you never know until you try.  Like most frequent travelers we have learned to always carry enough cash.....just in case.

Hank

• Like 1

Thank you all. 

One more question. I’m considering ApplePay or Samsung’s equivalent as a backup.

Any experience with those? (I have never used either.)

Do you have to put a vacation notice on ApplePay? (Theoretically they would know by my cell track or ip I’m not “home”.)

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Know that if you use your CC at an ATM  you going to get charged$$ and interest fees for a cash advance.    Using the Debit card  only gets a small user fee.

With the STACK Mastercard, you pay the Mastercard mid-market foreign exchange rate when you withdraw money, plus any nominal dispensing fee that the ATM provider may charge. That's it, no other fees. There’s really no cheaper way to get the local currency when you’re travelling.  

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

With the STACK Mastercard, you pay the Mastercard mid-market foreign exchange rate when you withdraw money, plus any nominal dispensing fee that the ATM provider may charge. That's it, no other fees. There’s really no cheaper way to get the local currency when you’re travelling.  

I have no idea what a stack master card is... or what it provides.     I do know that using a regular credit card, if you use it at a ATM it will be treated as a chash advance and  with$$$ fees + interest charges of like 24% starting the second you get the advance to when you pay it back.      Many but not all credit cards offer no fee exchange rate.     But this has nothing to do with CASH advance.

Please tell us what this stack card is.... I dont think many know how it is different from a regular credit card.....I do not.

The STACK Mastercard is a prepaid credit card that has

• No annual fee
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • No ATM fees (ATM provider may charge a fee)

It's definitely not my preferred credit card for making purchases, whether at home or abroad, but you can't beat it for foreign cash withdrawals. It may not be available outside Canada, and I don't know if there is a comparable US card.

30 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The STACK Mastercard is a prepaid credit card that has

• No annual fee
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • No ATM fees (ATM provider may charge a fee)

It's definitely not my preferred credit card for making purchases, whether at home or abroad, but you can't beat it for foreign cash withdrawals. It may not be available outside Canada, and I don't know if there is a comparable US card.

In the USA there are quite a few regular credit cards that have no annual fee, and no foreign transaction fees.  And we also have plenty of fee free ATM cards.  I am not a fan of prepaid credit cards which can be near worthless when trying to rent a car or using it for your onboard account (on cruises) where many cruise lines put on a credit hold.  For example, HAL puts on a hold of $60 per passenger day.  On a 21 say cruise that means you need at least $2400 of available credit on a card.  Some rental car companies want an even higher limit unless you purchase their overpriced insurance.

Or consider a health emergency when you must go to a hospital.  You could have thousands of dollars of bills to settle before being discharged (this recently happened to us in Japan).  A major credit card with a high limit is important to most frequent International travelers.

Hank

• Like 1

Hank, I agree completely. I've never had a prepaid card previously, for the reasons you mention and a few others besides, but this card is perfect for foreign cash withdrawal. The only time it will come out of my wallet will be when I'm abroad withdrawing funds from an ATM. 

It is not unusual for us to have a $3K hold on one of our credit cards when we rent a car in Europe or elsewhere..  If you have, as we do, high credit limits on your card you may not even be aware of this hold.  Essentially it decrements credit availability on your card limit.

We do not use prepaid cards for the reasons listed.  We do use a travel card that does not charge the 2.5 FX admin fee and does not increase the FX rate to  a higher percentage than the visa rate.  On our recent trip we avoided $300 CAD in charges by not using our regular credit card plus we got one percent back, $120, for a total difference of $420 CAD.  If you travel frequently these savings, or this expense avoidance really adds up over a year.

Edited by iancal