Getting to/from LA Union Station to Long Beach for cruise next Thursday

Jamoe

We booked a cruise to Ensenada from Long Beach 6 months ago. At that time, we could take the Amtrak to LA Union Station and then take the Metro Blue line to the Port of Long Beach. I checked this morning and the Metro Blue Line is closed until later in May. We have to get to the port that same day. We have the same issue for returning on Sunday. What other options are there for taking transport to/from Long Beach that are somewhat quick? (In addition to taxis, Uber, or Lyft.)

Thank you!

Public transportation options are few and far between-- basically Red Line for a couple stops and a very long bus ride to Long Beach and then a transfer to another bus to get over to the area by the Queen Mary and dock. Over an hour and a half and could be more hauling luggage around. 

Uber/Lyft are going to be your best bet-- will take you half the time. 

Thanks for the info. Our original plan would have worked quite well to take Amtrak to the Metro lines and then take the blue line to Long Beach but since the blue line is down, it will work out better to just drive to save time. The cost will be similar. (We live in Southern California but we were trying to avoid driving.)

2 hours ago, Jamoe said:

Thanks for the info. Our original plan would have worked quite well to take Amtrak to the Metro lines and then take the blue line to Long Beach but since the blue line is down, it will work out better to just drive to save time. The cost will be similar. (We live in Southern California but we were trying to avoid driving.)

Where are you coming from and have you done it before? Even if the Blue Line were running, I wouldn't consider it a great option. The Blue Line starts at the 7th St Metro Station, which means if you Amtrak to Union Station, you have to figure out how to get to the 7th St Metro (DASH bus or Red/Purple Metro) and then it is an hour from there to Long Beach and you are still short of the cruise port so you'd need a fourth (Amtrak, Red, Blue, shuttle) conveyance for the trip.

13 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Where are you coming from and have you done it before? Even if the Blue Line were running, I wouldn't consider it a great option. The Blue Line starts at the 7th St Metro Station, which means if you Amtrak to Union Station, you have to figure out how to get to the 7th St Metro (DASH bus or Red/Purple Metro) and then it is an hour from there to Long Beach and you are still short of the cruise port so you'd need a fourth (Amtrak, Red, Blue, shuttle) conveyance for the trip.

We have taken the colored lines to the ship many times. I wouldn't take the DASH bus if I have luggage. I would take the Red or Purple line to 7th Street station. In Long Beach, you need to walk about a block to catch the free Passport bus to the Queen Mary.

The Blue Line isn't supposed to be fully operational until September.

We like to park at Union Station because it is $8/24 hours as compared to $20/24 hours at the port.

Jamoe - check to see if there is an Amtrak bus connection from Union Station to Long Beach at a convenient time (do the end point of the Amtrak search as Long Beach). The Amtrak bus stops in the same area as the Long Beach Blue Line station.

I did a "test" booking San Luis Obispo to Long Beach (LBC) and saw several Amtrak Thruway connections to Long Beach listed.

Don't know what train you are arriving on and the time situation for connections but, another possibility. Also, you will have arrange transportation to the cruise terminal.

Long Beach Transit Gallery, Shelter A
107 East First Street
Long Beach, CA 90802

Bus Stop - Curbside Bus Stop only (no shelter)

If the OP is on a "cruise to Ensenada"...that sounds like just a three-night cruise (maybe four--but that would go somewhere else in addition to Ensenada)...So, even though it might cost $8 to park at Union Station and $20 at the port, it's only a $36 difference...But cut back into that the cost of the Metro and/or other transportation--heck, if it's Uber, that $36 advantage is completely gone and it's likely costing you more than that both ways...

I know people tend to resent the high cost of parking at the port...but, when you add in other costs...and then figure in the time involved and the difficulty in making transfers and dragging your luggage along with you, it's probably worth paying the parking fee just for the convenience...especially on a short cruise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

If the OP is on a "cruise to Ensenada"...that sounds like just a three-night cruise (maybe four--but that would go somewhere else in addition to Ensenada)...So, even though it might cost $8 to park at Union Station and $20 at the port, it's only a $36 difference...But cut back into that the cost of the Metro and/or other transportation--heck, if it's Uber, that $36 advantage is completely gone and it's likely costing you more than that both ways...

I know people tend to resent the high cost of parking at the port...but, when you add in other costs...and then figure in the time involved and the difficulty in making transfers and dragging your luggage along with you, it's probably worth paying the parking fee just for the convenience...especially on a short cruise.

It isn't hard to pull a 20" rolling suitcase. And if you miss one train, there is another one in about 10 minutes. And besides the $8/day parking, I'm only adding another $3.50 round trip on the colored lines. I think of this as part of my vacation. And for me, it's more relaxing taking the train instead of sitting in traffic

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rosefloater said:

It isn't hard to pull a 20" rolling suitcase. And if you miss one train, there is another one in about 10 minutes. And besides the $8/day parking, I'm only adding another $3.50 round trip on the colored lines. I think of this as part of my vacation. And for me, it's more relaxing taking the train instead of sitting in traffic

It isn't hard to pull a 20" rolling suitcase for whom? We don't know anything about the OP. Pulling a 20" rolling suitcase, plus carry-on and walking a block would be impossible for my mother using her cane. Maybe the OP is a 25 year and could sprint there holding a 20" rolling suitcase over their head, but we don't know.

Bruin Steve's point on parking is valid, so is the "we hate driving" point. That is why an Uber from Union Station to the port might be a reasonable compromise. We don't know if the OP is training to Union Station or driving to it.

Thanks again, everyone. Despite hating to drive through the Los Angeles area, we will do it to save time. It would have been $41.50 each way to take the Amtrak and then cheap to take a really long bus ride or a metro ride and a long bus ride to get to Long Beach. Or it would have been $41.50 each way for the train and then $30-$60 or so each way for Uber with no guarantee of cost or getting there quickly due to traffic. I got a voucher for a future Amtrak trip and will be happy to take a ride on the metro another time! 

• 1 month later...