So I get a call from my TA, Royal wants your cabin back.

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

A good possibility.

No.  

It could be a a bidding war on a cabin that isn’t even available. I have had fellow roll callers having the option to bid on my cabin, to which we weren’t moving from. There are only two cabins of our category on the ship. 

The won’t take the cabin away from the person who has it.  They just want a line of willing paying candidates VS someone getting a free upgrade. That being said I wouldn’t put it past Royal to try and get people to swap cabins to make profits. 

Well hopefully (you're right) they won't take any of my booked cabins away...because there's nothing they could offer to make me interested in changing any of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

I don’t have a specific “problem.”  My question is why is RCI needing this apparently sold out cabin for someone else so badly, that they are willing to deal to get that cabin, but when I ask about 5 other sailing dates, all I seem to hear is, “We’re sorry, those dates are all sold out for the cabin type you are needing.”  No offers to put me on a list while they try and make a deal so that I can book that cabin....What makes that other person more important than me, or are you simply so used to feeling entitled that you can’t see the other side of the issue?

I can't answer the why, and really dont care. 

Just saying it has happened twice to us, and another poster brought it up tonight.

FWIW, your group of 5 does take a specific cabin. Not many can hold that many. 

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

No, you cannot lose your stateroom.  At least not yet.  Would not surprise me if Royal does that at some point in the future, but it's not the process now.

Well I think this would "surprise" not only me but a great many other's.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

I don’t have a specific “problem.”  My question is why is RCI needing this apparently sold out cabin for someone else so badly, that they are willing to deal to get that cabin, but when I ask about 5 other sailing dates, all I seem to hear is, “We’re sorry, those dates are all sold out for the cabin type you are needing.”  No offers to put me on a list while they try and make a deal so that I can book that cabin....What makes that other person more important than me, or are you simply so used to feeling entitled that you can’t see the other side of the issue?

Oh, did you offer to pay extra?

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

@A2Mich  So, have you ever offered to pay, say, twice the regular rate if they would try to find someone willing to change? 

Why is this different from planes that are overbooked where they gradually increase the fee for someone willing to be voluntarily bumped?

17 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

My suspicion is that this has nothing to do with RCi but is the OP's TA trying to make a sale on a different client who has a specific demand/request or they are not going to book.

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I can't answer the why, and really dont care. 

Just saying it has happened twice to us, and another poster brought it up tonight.

FWIW, your group of 5 does take a specific cabin. Not many can hold that many. 

On oasis class ships, our group of 5 can be accommodated in 25 cabins. 8 ocean view, 7 balcony, 6 grand suites, 6 insides, and a few really high end suites that U would never be fortunate enough to be upgraded to.

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

My suspicion is that this has nothing to do with RCi but is the OP's TA trying to make a sale on a different client who has a specific demand/request or they are not going to book.

Well then that would be a different scenario, if it’s the TA trying to make the sale.  

13 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

@A2Mich  So, have you ever offered to pay, say, twice the regular rate if they would try to find someone willing to change? 

Why is this different from planes that are overbooked where they gradually increase the fee for someone willing to be voluntarily bumped?

Nope. Twice the price wouldn’t be worth it for ANY cruise ship stateroom.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

On oasis class ships, our group of 5 can be accommodated in 25 cabins. 8 ocean view, 7 balcony, 6 grand suites, 6 insides, and a few really high end suites that U would never be fortunate enough to be upgraded to.

And I booked one or two of those the week they came out. Just curious, were you willing to split into two cabins?

FWIW, 25 out of 2,000 would qualify as not many

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Nope. Twice the price wouldn’t be worth it for ANY cruise ship stateroom.  

Edited by A2Mich

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

And I booked one or two of those the week they came out. Just curious, were you willing to split into two cabins?

Actually, we were going to, but we sometimes question the maturity and trust level of our teens😁

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

In your opinion. 😇

As if I would pay $9000 for an oversized balcony cabin that doesn’t even come up with Suite perks and C&A points?  No, I’m just a bit more sensible with what I spend my money on.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ashland said:

So even when I have "no upgrade" on my profile..I can lose my booked cabin to someone wanting it and willing to pay more for it than I did originally ?

33 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

No, you cannot lose your stateroom.  At least not yet.  Would not surprise me if Royal does that at some point in the future, but it's not the process now.

Sorry, there is no use case in the future where that would become a process.

That would be like forcing everyone who booked early to pay the going rate a year later.

8 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

As if I would pay $9000 for an oversized balcony cabin that doesn’t even come up with Suite perks and C&A points?  No, I’m just a bit more sensible with what I spend my money on.

Gotta spend it on something. YOLO

Seriously now, twice is a stretch. Now, would 2 grand open some doors? 

Plus we don't know the circumstances for the request. There could be a myriad of reasons someone was desperate to join a cruise and in a specific cabin.  

Before my recent cruise on Vision, I logged on to our account to purchase our drink package, only to find out my cruise didn't exist.

Huh? 

Bought and paid in full months earlier.

Turns out when I called and added a C&A number earlier somehow our cruise got "re-priced" at the current rate, which was higher than what I paid and it now showed a balance due.

in the middle of the night, computer saw that a balance was due and we were well past final payment and it cancelled our reservation and released the cabin.  

My TA blamed Royal, and Royal blamed the TA.

Nonetheless, despite me paying for my cruise, and set to leave in just a few days, I now had no reservation, the ship was sold out, and my cabin had been given to someone else.

RCI wanted to put me on another ship, but wasn't going to cover the airfare for me to get to the other ship.

There were lots of calls to supervisors and my TA on the phone for hours before finally I got notice that the people they had sold my room too were no longer going and I could have my room back.

My guess --- they got a call like the OP and they convinced them to go on some other ship.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Gotta spend it on something. YOLO

Seriously now, twice is a stretch. Now, would 2 grand open some doors? 

Plus we don't know the circumstances for the request. There could be a myriad of reasons someone was desperate to join a cruise and in a specific cabin.  

Could be.  Money talks. FWIW, two grand would certainly open some doors.  However, I wouldn’t spend that.  With a family of 5, including hotels, airfare, and other expenses, a one week cruise vacation easily approaches near $10K.  You have a distinct advantage living in Cocoa Beach, as you are right by PC, and any other Florida ports are a few hour drive.  Flying across country changes the dynamics a bit. Paying twice for it was someone else’s theoretical offer.

Edited by A2Mich

58 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

In this context, Loyalty Ambassador.

Okay forgive me for being new to RCI but how do you get a Loyalty Ambassador and how do you contact them?

14 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

Before my recent cruise on Vision, I logged on to our account to purchase our drink package, only to find out my cruise didn't exist.

Huh? 

Bought and paid in full months earlier.

Turns out when I called and added a C&A number earlier somehow our cruise got "re-priced" at the current rate, which was higher than what I paid and it now showed a balance due.

in the middle of the night, computer saw that a balance was due and we were well past final payment and it cancelled our reservation and released the cabin.  

My TA blamed Royal, and Royal blamed the TA.

Nonetheless, despite me paying for my cruise, and set to leave in just a few days, I now had no reservation, the ship was sold out, and my cabin had been given to someone else.

RCI wanted to put me on another ship, but wasn't going to cover the airfare for me to get to the other ship.

There were lots of calls to supervisors and my TA on the phone for hours before finally I got notice that the people they had sold my room too were no longer going and I could have my room back.

My guess --- they got a call like the OP and they convinced them to go on some other ship.

Glad it worked out

11 minutes ago, HOSKI said:

Okay forgive me for being new to RCI but how do you get a Loyalty Ambassador and how do you contact them?

They are on the ship. Pretty sure it's the same email format, just change the ship identifier, but I dont have it handy

15 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

Could be.  Money talks. FWIW, two grand would certainly open some doors.  However, I wouldn’t spend that.  With a family of 5, including hotels, airfare, and other expenses, a one week cruise vacation easily approaches near $10K.  You have a distinct advantage living in Cocoa Beach, as you are right by PC, and any other Florida ports are a few hour drive.  Flying across country changes the dynamics a bit. Paying twice for it was someone else’s theoretical offer.

That advantage only works on local cruises.  We had 6 long flights last year. Singapore, Copenhagen twice, Barcelona three times.

We used to live in St Louis, Maryland, Virginia, Alabama, and Atlanta raising two boys who cruised a lot. 

Cocoa Beach is nice, though. 😎

• Like 2

Just now, John&LaLa said:

That advantage only works on local cruises.  We had 6 long flights last year. Singapore, Copenhagen twice, Barcelona three times.

We used to live in St Louis, Maryland, Virginia, Alabama, and Atlanta raising two boys who cruised a lot. 

Cocoa Beach is nice, though. 😎

By the sounds of your adventures, it appears that you may be retired and fortunate enough to be able to travel frequently.  We are still of working age, and being in Colorado, aren’t close to ANY cruise ports 😁

1 minute ago, A2Mich said:

By the sounds of your adventures, it appears that you may be retired and fortunate enough to be able to travel frequently.  We are still of working age, and being in Colorado, aren’t close to ANY cruise ports 😁

But you get to go skiing on the weekends and smoke weed. ⛷🏂🤟

• Like 3
  • Haha 3