Sail and sign cards are now at your room??

6 minutes ago, coevan said:

nope, what's the disadvantage and no mess. It is a very simple and organized new approach.

Maybe steerage class also wants their S&S cards in-hand rather than wait for room availability?  The trust issue of allowing everyone access to the rooms has been mentioned above so I’m being devil’s advocate here saying why trust anyone direct access to a financial funding source?

Our last Carnilval cruise was last spring. This is new news to me. 

So we will find our sign and sail cards in a sealed envelope outside our door? And our printed out boarding passes have a folio number on them?

Is there also a bar code on the boarding pass for them to scan or are they just charges our drinks to the folio number?

8 minutes ago, quickrate said:

The card will be there when the rooms are ready

Does everyone head straight to their rooms

when they are ready?  And is notification of rooms being ready always clearly announced?  I’m lucky in that my cruise ship’s mailbox is in the room instead of outside.  Just as some luggage occasionally gets “accidentally” taken by another guest, it will eventually happen with S&S cards.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, soonernstlouis said:

when they are ready?  And is notification of rooms being ready always clearly announced?  I’m lucky in that my cruise ship’s mailbox is in the room instead of outside.  Just as some luggage occasionally gets “accidentally” taken by another guest, it will eventually happen with S&S cards.

On what ship would this be? 

6 minutes ago, soonernstlouis said:

It hasn't been reported in the many months and several ships using the process.  Your fear-mongering over a streamlined process is ill-placed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

Your fear-mongering over a streamlined process is ill-placed.

It’s not fear-momgering.  That would be creating post titled: “Carnival new S&S policy risks losing people’s cruise money!!!!”

I simply disagreed with the new new process & stated why.  Sorry to go against the group-think.

BookBug53, My next cruise is on Fascination.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, soonernstlouis said:

It’s not fear-momgering.  That would be creating post titled: “Carnival new S&S policy risks losing people’s cruise money!!!!”

I simply disagreed with the new new process & stated why.  Sorry to go against the group-think.

fear mongering or paranoia, you take your choice. NO ONE is losing money. These are cruise guests, not street urchins. Relax, it's worked for a few years now without incident.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soonernstlouis said:

So for the steerage class, the change from getting you card at boarding to in your mailbox/room is a disadvantage.  Sounds to me like Carnival is creating their own mess rather than providing a better solution.

Only a disadvantage if you were one of the rule breakers going to their cabin early.

Maybe steerage class also wants their S&S cards in-hand rather than wait for room availability?  The trust issue of allowing everyone access to the rooms has been mentioned above so I’m being devil’s advocate here saying why trust anyone direct access to a financial funding source?

Everyone gets their cards when their room is available. Some sooner that others, but that is what priority means. No one gets them before boarding. As has been pointed out, no one else can use your card. But yes, as you brought up, someone could stead your luggage. Don’t read about that happening either.

1 hour ago, soonernstlouis said:

You disagreed with a new policy—fair enough. But through education we all learn.

Happy cruising.

• Like 2

Yep, it makes check in appreciably faster, it's an easy sealed envelope, you can scan your boarding pass if need be beforehand. It sounded weird to me at first too, but imho it's been a big improvement with no downside. 

I'm about to be on a Fantasy class ship for the first time since the late 90's - are the doors just open on those ships with the keys inside somewhere (since they don't have mailboxes)?

It's not group think, but people who have experienced it first hand explaining how it works. As someone else brought up earlier in the thread, no one who has paid the money to cruise is going to risk getting tossed off the ship or arrested by stealing someone's card to get a few free drinks. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TxTeach79 said:

Yep, it makes check in appreciably faster, it's an easy sealed envelope, you can scan your boarding pass if need be beforehand. It sounded weird to me at first too, but imho it's been a big improvement with no downside. 

I'm about to be on a Fantasy class ship for the first time since the late 90's - are the doors just open on those ships with the keys inside somewhere (since they don't have mailboxes)?

They wedge them behind the cabin number plate on the wall. 😎

• Like 2

7 hours ago, soonernstlouis said:

So for the steerage class, the change from getting you card at boarding to in your mailbox/room is a disadvantage.  Sounds to me like Carnival is creating their own mess rather than providing a better solution.

It is a better solution.  Maybe you should experience it before complaining. 😎

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Steerage has nothing to do with it.  I travel in steerage, but I get to my cabin early because I worked myself to platinum (10 years ago).  EM

I believe steerage refers to those without special privileges or access. In this case, early access to cabins. Has nothing to do with cabin type or location.

8 hours ago, soonernstlouis said:

This is not exactly a new process.

Carnival rolled this out several years ago.  Royal Caribbean has been rolling this out over the last few years, starting with their largest and newest ships. 

I have never have heard of anyone have any issues.

If a card had "walked" by the time you get to your cabin it would be obvious.  The seal would have been broken and noticeable.  I have heard of instances where the envelop wasn't properly sealed, but the card(s) were all there.  

Under this not really new process, I have sailed multiple time over the last several years and have not have had an issue with cards being stolen.

This is not a so new process and has expedited the checkin process.  Just wait until you experience the ipad checkin process which the whole card at the cabin got us to this point.  You will be amazed.

Then disembarkation, at Miami no need to pull out your passport.  Officials have ipad where they take a quick scan of your face and you are on your way.  I believe they are rolling this out at other ports.

Edited by gatour

1 hour ago, gatour said:

This is not exactly a new process.

Carnival rolled this out several years ago.  Royal Caribbean has been rolling this out over the last few years, starting with their largest and newest ships. 

I have never have heard of anyone have any issues.

If a card had "walked" by the time you get to your cabin it would be obvious.  The seal would have been broken and noticeable.  I have heard of instances where the envelop wasn't properly sealed, but the card(s) were all there.  

Under this not really new process, I have sailed multiple time over the last several years and have not have had an issue with cards being stolen.

This is not a so new process and has expedited the checkin process.  Just wait until you experience the ipad checkin process which the whole card at the cabin got us to this point.  You will be amazed.

Then disembarkation, at Miami no need to pull out your passport.  Officials have ipad where they take a quick scan of your face and you are on your way.  I believe they are rolling this out at other ports.

Thanks for trying to explain the process rather than produce mild insults as others have.  

I would never try to access my cabin early (more likely late since I want to drop off my bags at check-in and spend as much time in Old San Juan as possible).  I don’t expect issues but also don’t believe NO ONE has in the past.

Edited by soonernstlouis
  • Like 2

This process and the quick pass through of having your passport picture show up on the iPad are ingenious and have made check in a total breeze. We have literally gone from the car to the cabin in 45 minutes thanks to these changes. Once, we went from the terminal to our cabin in about 20 mins.  This has been in Galveston and during busy peak times and other times that were off peak. Most recently, spring break, my son and I spent about 30 minutes after being dropped off and we were in our cabin.  

19 hours ago, soonernstlouis said:

Because there are safeguards in place to ensure that S&S cards aren't used by anyone other than the passenger and if it does happen it's easy enough to reverse any charges.