Cruise Critic Community
KurtMo

Royal Mexican Riviera - useful planning info

All,

I always appreciate the good info I get on these boards from those of you that share it.  Below I'll share some info (answers to commonly asked questions) from our recent 3/30 sailing on the Royal Princess.

Medallion:

We were apparently one of only 30 cabins to download the apps and complete our info in the apps.  We just jumped into the standard Platinum line for embarkation but were later told we could have avoided that with a very short (pretty much "walk on" line) for those that completed info entry on the app - regardless embarkation was quick and easy and we received both medallion and cruise card.  You could use either aboard the ship at any time, but to return into the port area they wanted to see your cruise card.

Dining Times:  First seating @5:30pm, Second seating @ 7:45pm (despite fact that on cruise personalizer it said 5:00 / 7:15).  Dining room was open for embarkation day lunch.  Formal nights were Sunday and Thursday (both at sea).  We split up our dining and did 1 night at Alfredo's, 2 in MDR, 2 in buffet, 1 night Crown Grill, 1 night Balcony Dinner.  Lobster night for MDR was formal night #2 (Thursday).  One night in MDR our service was very slow, another night it was very efficient - so YMMV.  I believe there is a fair number of new crew aboard (we saw numerous crew trainings going on in various areas).  Crown Grill and Balcony Dinner were both exceptional service and food.

Aft Balcony (D730):  The soot problem is NOT gone, but it was tolerable for us.  The soot was heavier two mornings, and relatively nonexistant the balance.  We grabbed a couple of extra pool towels and laid them on our chairs to avoid getting any "grime" on us.  The balcony itself was nice, with some white noise from the churn of the wake.

MUTS Movies (evenings, usually around 7:00 / 9:30):

Saturday - Green Book

Sunday - The Old Man and the Gun

Monday - Crazy Rich Asians

Tuesday - Bohemian Rhapsody

Wednesday - no main MUTS movie

Thursday - First Man

Friday - Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again

Buffet themes (evening):

Saturday - Brazilian

Sunday - Mexican

Monday - Italian

Tuesday - Barvarian

Wednesday - Brazilian

Thursday - French

Friday - American

I hope this helps you obsessive planners out there!  🙂

DId they do the chocolate buffet station at lunch one day? They did that last year on the Regal.  :) 

They did the chocolate breakfast on the last sea day in the buffet.

They did the "Pastry Extravaganza"  also near the end at lunch.

Note that we were on the South America  cruise which was much longer. SO more days for different special.

30 minutes ago, Amy G said:

DId they do the chocolate buffet station at lunch one day? They did that last year on the Regal.  🙂

There was a chocolate station / area at lunch one day with chocolate crepes, cookies, chocolate fountain, etc. but I cannot find mention of it in the Patters.  It seems it was in the second half of the cruise but I'd recommend watching the Patters.

And if chocolate is what you want, I recommend anything that is a "Chocolate Journeys" dessert - all that I tried were quite good, and some were available in the buffet "pastry" area throughout the cruise.

Hello,  I have a question.  Does the buffet post a menu for the entire week?  I saw you listed what they served every evening; just curious.  Thanks

Did you book the Balcony Dinning before you boarded or after? Was it hard to recieve your desired day and time? Woukd love to hear more about your experience.  Do you feel the food was better than the Crown?

I have encountered the chocolate buffet a few times and only  by chance.I read the Patters carefully and never found it listed in the patter. The chocolate buffet was toward the end of the cruise at breakfast.

Sali

KurtMo...thanks for posting that helpful information as a preview to sailing the same cruise later this month.

Posts from the Royal’s MR cruise before yours stated the chocolate buffet was on Thursday morning & the shellfish lunch buffet was on Friday.

7 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Hello,  I have a question.  Does the buffet post a menu for the entire week?  I saw you listed what they served every evening; just curious.  Thanks

No buffet menus posted, but each evening you receive the "Patter" for the next day and it tells you (on the back/last page) what the theme for the evening buffet is.

KurtMo,  thank you for this info.  I did not know they post the buffet menu in patters;  but then I have never really looked for it either.  Have a nice day

Thanks very informative! We board the Royal on April 20 - will be interesting to see if more people are Ocean Ready! 

20 hours ago, MoyCoy said:

Did you book the Balcony Dinning before you boarded or after? Was it hard to recieve your desired day and time? Woukd love to hear more about your experience.  Do you feel the food was better than the Crown?

We purchased the balcony dinner in advance using the cruise personlizer, but we had to schedule it once onboard.  I recommend doing that as soon as possible (day 1) so you get your pick of days and times.  The dinner is very similar quality to what you get in Crown Grill, but more.  You can order surf and turf (lobster tail and filet) for no extra fee (+$10 pp in Crown Grill) and you also get 1 pre-dinner cocktail per person, canapes, a half-bottle of real champagne, a professional photo (actually they take 5-6 and you get to pick one for free), and flowers (which you get to keep - so if you schedule early in the week you'll have fresh flowers in your cabin all week).  You also get fantastic, personalized service and the food is cooked specifically to order (no assembly line).  I really feel like this is the best deal on board (we've done this probably 5 times over the years!)

Just do it!

19 hours ago, tjcletzgo said:

Can you tell me what foods they served on French night?

Apologies, I don't remember what they served on buffet on French night - we went to the MDR for formal night #2 (and had lobster tail with risotto, and Chocolate Journeys Pistachio Dome for dessert!)

20 hours ago, KCsealegs said:

Thanks very informative! We board the Royal on April 20 - will be interesting to see if more people are Ocean Ready! 

We are on the same sailing! I am Ocean Ready!

1 hour ago, MoyCoy said:

We are on the same sailing! I am Ocean Ready!

We are also sailing April 20th, also Ocean Ready! Our medallions arrived last Friday. Getting very excited!

We board this Saturday! Thanks for the information. 

Did you use the laundry rooms? Are they open only certain hours?

On 4/9/2019 at 5:30 PM, KCsealegs said:

We board on the 20th too and we are Ocean Ready.  Got our medallions yesterday.

17 hours ago, chinita415 said:

We board this Saturday! Thanks for the information. 

Did you use the laundry rooms? Are they open only certain hours?

We did not use the laundry (took too many clothes like normal...) but I recall (from different ship/sailing) that it seemed open anytime (I did not see any mention in the patters).  I have no clue if you need cash or card/medallion, or what these days!

On 4/9/2019 at 11:21 AM, KurtMo said:

MUTS Movies (evenings, usually around 7:00 / 9:30):

Saturday - Green Book

Sunday - The Old Man and the Gun

Monday - Crazy Rich Asians

Tuesday - Bohemian Rhapsody

Wednesday - no main MUTS movie

Thursday - First Man

Friday - Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again 

Another thing I forgot to mention - the day AFTER the movies are shown on MUTS, they appear in the free "on demand" movies listing on your cabin TV.  There was a pretty good selection of movies to work through.

Posted (edited)
On 4/10/2019 at 9:56 PM, vjblk said:

We board on the 20th too and we are Ocean Ready.  Got our medallions yesterday. 

I couldn't help but notice your posting avatar (Seahawk) - I believe it was in Mazatlan in the cruise terminal that a shop was selling t-shirts that said Mazatlan/Mexico and "Si Hawks" with a surely unofficially not-licensed logo (Seahawk was wearing a sombrero); if I was a Seattle fan it would be a fun shirt.

Edited by KurtMo

28 minutes ago, KurtMo said:

I couldn't help but notice your posting avatar (Seahawk) - I believe it was in Mazatlan in the cruise terminal that a shop was selling t-shirts that said Mazatlan/Mexico and "Si Hawks" with a surely unofficially not-licensed logo (Seahawk was wearing a sombrero); if I was a Seattle fan it would be a fun shirt.

Hey, I will keep an eye out for that shirt. It does sound like a fun shirt to have.