I fall asleep when I'm seasick

Jamoe

On recent travel on boats, I notice I no longer get seasick with an upset stomach or needing to vomit. Instead I fall asleep. For example, I went on the short trip from Long Beach to Catalina by ferry. That trip is 1 hour. I wanted to stay awake, but I fell asleep the second I sat at a table and stayed asleep until we stopped moving.

I don't want to sleep through the whole cruise I'm going on! Is there anything I can do besides keep moving or drink lots of caffeine? Thanks!

12 hours ago, Jamoe said:

On recent travel on boats, I notice I no longer get seasick with an upset stomach or needing to vomit. Instead I fall asleep. For example, I went on the short trip from Long Beach to Catalina by ferry. That trip is 1 hour. I wanted to stay awake, but I fell asleep the second I sat at a table and stayed asleep until we stopped moving.

I don't want to sleep through the whole cruise I'm going on! Is there anything I can do besides keep moving or drink lots of caffeine? Thanks!

Are you taking medication to avoid seasickness? If so, perhaps this is the cause - I would check with my physician.

I don’t think this is seasickness. Many people are lulled to sleep by a moving vehicle. A cruise ship has significantly different motion than a ferry so it may not be an issue. Agree that if you took anything for motion sickness, don’t do it again. Those meds can cause drowsiness. You may find yourself falling asleep in a lounge chair or while reading; but most of the cruise you are up and moving, eating, engaged in an activity, etc. unless you have narcolepsy I can’t see someone falling asleep in those situations.

• 3 weeks later...

I do fall asleep sometimes too. But I would rather fall asleep than feel miserable the whole time. I try absolutely everything, from crackers, ginger pills, ginger ale, green apples...and if none work I take a dramamine. There are non-drowsy ones but I would still fall asleep rather than feel nauseous and seasick.

Just as an FYI, starting to feel sleepy can be one of the first symptoms of getting motion sick.  I start to yawn excessively way before the other symptoms start.

Having said that, I've never actually fallen asleep.  I would love to, as it is a far better alternative to being seasick.  

So, I tend to agree, you may not be falling asleep because you're seasick unless you took something and you fell asleep as a side effect.

And regarding the medications for seasickness; if you think you need them, try the non-drowsy ones and take them with a meal.  This works for me to avoid seasickness and sleepiness.

• 4 weeks later...

Follow up: I did get seasick especially on the first day and the following morning. My symptoms were feeling a little drowsy (but not passing out like I had feared) and an upset stomach.

I avoided medications per your advice. I ate ginger. It didn't help much. I read somewhere else to eat green apples. Green apples are what helped me! Within a minute of eating the apples, I felt better. After a few minutes of eating, I felt normal! It was amazing!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jamoe said:

I avoided medications per your advice. I ate ginger. It didn't help much. I read somewhere else to eat green apples. Green apples are what helped me! Within a minute of eating the apples, I felt better. After a few minutes of eating, I felt normal! It was amazing!

I'm glad you found something that works for you - drugs, ginger, motion bands, etc., are not the remedy for everyone.  Now you know for next time!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂