Cruise Critic Community
Despegue

SBP budget increase to 11US$ ??

Anyone recently onboard or onboard at the moment heard about a possible increase in Signature Beverage Package budget from 9$ To 11$ to cover the increased drink prices, especially wines by the glass?

many thanks!

14 hours ago, Despegue said:

Anyone recently onboard or onboard at the moment heard about a possible increase in Signature Beverage Package budget from 9$ To 11$ to cover the increased drink prices, especially wines by the glass?

many thanks!

Yes, we just got off the Eurodam and the wine selections available for $9 have dropped from 17 different wines to only 9.  And there are only 2 white wines available by the glass for $9.   We complained to the food & beverage manager about the lack of any Pinot Grigio available for $9.   He agreed it was a problem, and he did an override for us, so DW got her Pinot for the rest of the cruise included in the package.  Both our wine steward and the bar manager told us that the max drink price will go up from $9 to $11.  No time frame was mentioned.   I wonder if the $44.95 plus 15% daily cost of the SBP will also go up ?   It has been steady at $44.95 for a long time, even with the max drink allowance going up from $7, to $8, and now $9.

HAL is a bargain.  Check the daily cost for the one and only drink package offered by Princess. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dag144 said:

HAL is a bargain.  Check the daily cost for the one and only drink package offered by Princess. 

Bargain or not is irrelevant, the fact that there are crap wines under the cap is what matters to a lot of wine drinkers. It's an absolute waste of money if you can't get a decent glass of wine which right now at the $9 level, you can't

Edited by Cruise Junky

Just checked for our February 2020 Oosterdam cruise and the Signature Beverage Package now says: 

Includes any beverage priced at $11.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day).

1 hour ago, canadarocks said:

Just checked for our February 2020 Oosterdam cruise and the Signature Beverage Package now says: 

Includes any beverage priced at $11.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day).

As it now does for our June 2019 NS cruise too. :classic_biggrin:  A very recent - and welcome -  website update.

Yippie! I checked for our upcoming cruise in May and indeed, Signature Beverage package says 11$ Or less...😀

I do hope that this is also valid for those with the Explore4 promotion...

14 minutes ago, Despegue said:

I do hope that this is also valid for those with the Explore4 promotion...

As do I, but I'm not aware of HAL having previously differentiated between purchased and perquisite SBP's.

now - where can we see current drink menus with the newly increased pricing to see if the SBP will give us enough wine by the glass options - as that is the only reason I'd consider upgrading to the EBP :)

I just checked the HAL site for the SBP.   They do show the SBP now includes all beverages $11 and under, which based on my Eurodam cruise (March 9 - April 6), that would open up a much wider selection of wines.  

And, amazingly, the price for the SBP is still the same price, $44.95 a day plus 15% SC.   Compared to other lines, it is still a bargain for us.   We are not strictly wine drinkers.  We like a variety of mixed drinks, beers, and cocktails.  Wine is only a small part.  And, all non-alcoholic beverages are included in the package (specialty coffees, sodas, bottles of water, sparkling and still) but the non-alcoholic beverages do NOT count in your daily 15 beverage limit.   So, you effectively have the SBP plus the Quench package together.

4 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

I just checked the HAL site for the SBP.   They do show the SBP now includes all beverages $11 and under, which based on my Eurodam cruise (March 9 - April 6), that would open up a much wider selection of wines.  

And, amazingly, the price for the SBP is still the same price, $44.95 a day plus 15% SC.   Compared to other lines, it is still a bargain for us.   We are not strictly wine drinkers.  We like a variety of mixed drinks, beers, and cocktails.  Wine is only a small part.  And, all non-alcoholic beverages are included in the package (specialty coffees, sodas, bottles of water, sparkling and still) but the non-alcoholic beverages do NOT count in your daily 15 beverage limit.   So, you effectively have the SBP plus the Quench package together.

I just read the T&C for both the SBP and EBP and neither specifically state that only alcoholic beverages count toward the 15 per day limit. HAL obviously has chosen to keep the wording vague which will continue to lead to an inconsistent application of policy once onboard. 

40 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

now - where can we see current drink menus with the newly increased pricing to see if the SBP will give us enough wine by the glass options - as that is the only reason I'd consider upgrading to the EBP :)

I answered my own question to this question and found recent MDR wine by the glass list in reply #5 of the following thread: 

Cut and pasted from the HAL site.

"Our convenient, affordable Signature Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas, bottled water (sparkling 330ml or still 500ml) & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at $11.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day). Prices are per day at $44.95 if pre-booked online compared to $49.95 if purchased on board. A 15% service charge will be automatically applied to your purchase. "

They do not specifically state that the non-alcoholic beverages are excluded from the 15 daily count, but over the last few months, everyone posting on CC has stated that the non-alcoholic beverages do not count.  It didn't count for my march cruise on the Eurodam.

Whilst I don't doubt your personal experience, or the reports of others, I stand by the fact that the current language could and has resulted in an uneven application of the policy. Either all drinks are counted or only alcoholic drinks are counted. The written policy and onboard application of the policy should mirror one another without exception. With the ability to quickly edit documentation and immediately disperse it there is no reason there should be any grey area at all.  HAL chooses for it to exist, which in turn leads to consumer frustration and a loss in trust in the brand, product and its value.