Cruise Critic Community
CRUISING ADDICT

Lindquist Beach, St. Thomas

Just wondering if anyone has been to Lindquist Beach in St. Thomas.  I have seen pictures and it looks beautiful.  I was wondering how far it was from Crown Bay.  We will be there in January.  Are there any facilities on it?  

2 hours ago, Karma5 said:

It's a nice beach...not to far from crown bay...................

It is not close to Crown Bay. It is near Sapphire Bay.

8 hours ago, CRUISING ADDICT said:

Just wondering if anyone has been to Lindquist Beach in St. Thomas.  I have seen pictures and it looks beautiful.  I was wondering how far it was from Crown Bay.  We will be there in January.  Are there any facilities on it?  

I have been there. It is beautiful. I went on a Royal Caribbean excursion where they provided transportation and chairs. There were very basic bathrooms at the time. That was five years ago and there were some plans to improve the facilities but I don't know if that happened. Five years ago the Royal Excursion was a bargain because it incuded transportation and chairs. Only about 20 passengers took it. They didn't call it Lindquist Beach excursion, they called it Secret Sands.

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, Karma5 said:

It's a nice beach...not to far from crown bay...................

You need Geography instruction

There has been confusion for years over Linquist Beach. I don't why but some people refer to Emerald Beach as Linquist. (not really sure if Emerald is the official name but we went there many times) Only a 5 minute cab ride from Crown Bay. Linquist is also called John Smith Beach. I understand its a very nice beach. It is a park so there is an entrance fee. It is about 20-30 minutes from Crown Bay

There has been confusion for years over Linquist Beach. I don't why but some people refer to Emerald Beach as Linquist. (not really sure if Emerald is the official name but we went there many times) Only a 5 minute cab ride from Crown Bay. Linquist is also called John Smith Beach. I understand its a very nice beach. It is a park so there is an entrance fee. It is about 20-30 minutes from Crown Bay

Emerald Beach has also been known as Lindbergh Beach. That may be where the confusion comes from. Confusing Lindbergh with Lindquist.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Emerald Beach has also been known as Lindbergh Beach. That may be where the confusion comes from. Confusing Lindbergh with Lindquist.

Makes sense. I had forgotten the real name!

My condo used to be near Lindquist.  I could walk it except for a pretty steep hill and no sidewalks with crazy drivers zooming by.  In 2009-2011 it was less visited partially because it lacked services.  I haven't been back to it since but I understand they have added some services and even a proper entrance with paved road - the reason why they were charging an admission fee even way back then. Looking at satellite imagery it has changed dramatically since I lived there.

Locals always liked it because cruise ships guests rarely used it back then.  It is 25-30 minutes from Crown Bay with no cruise ships in port but when there are multiple cruise ship present it can be 35-45 minutes.    We worked in Tutu and would check the ship schedule before heading to Charlotte Amalie.  Traffic becomes a mess when cruise ships are in, at least on the South side of the island near town.

Snorkeling is okay, but not all that.  You might see a turtle or a ray but don't count on it.  Some jacks or needle fish more likely.  Otherwise it is a beautiful beach, not known for big waves and not as crowded as Magens.  

Sometimes referred to as Smith Bay Beach but there was an effort back then to stop using that name.  

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Lindberg Beach is the small strip beach you pass when you arrive by plane.  You can walk to it from the airport.  There is a hotel there called "Emerald Beach Resort".    Very different from Lindquist and the other side and end of the island.  

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

It is not close to Crown Bay. It is near Sapphire Bay.

Correct.  Lindquist is literally the next bay right beside Sapphire.