NCL Towel Animals Update

Greenpea2

I will have absolutely no problem asking my steward to make me a few. And he/she will be happy to do so if past experience bears out. Sometimes a compromise must be made. And there will always be those who see a compromise as just not getting everything they want. C’est la vie. 

Risking getting flamed here - if you are on a “no towel animal” ship and you ask for them (which you can) you are now asking the steward for something “extra” and that means “tip extra if you ask for extra, or are extra work” (over and above the DSC of course).

.....as opposed to....NCL is no longer giving towel animals, therefore since they are giving less, how about DECREASING the DSC by 50c/day rather than ADDING 50c/day AND taking away towel animals?

It’s not about the animals, it’s about INCREASING the price for service, and then as soon as possible afterwards, DECREASING the service.  It’s called “get less, but pay more”

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

I will have absolutely no problem asking my steward to make me a few. And he/she will be happy to do so if past experience bears out. Sometimes a compromise must be made. And there will always be those who see a compromise as just not getting everything they want. C’est la vie. 

I'm confident with the towel animal cutback, cabin stewards have been given additional cabins to clean and/or other responsibilities.  We would have a problem asking our cabin steward to appease us and make towel animals.  But that's just us.    

2 hours ago, rhblake said:

My guess is that NCL will stop training their stewards how to make towel animals and even asking for a towel animal will result in an answer of "I don't know how"

That seems very possible. On the other hand, if enough passengers show an interest they may well continue with it. Who knows. At least for now I will enjoy the occasional towel animal. 🙂

8 hours ago, Seminole1975 said:

I also read in the article that not using all those towels will cut back on laundry, probably a significant amount.

And cut back the laundry budget a significant amount too!

I can't believe this argument is still RAGING... lol.  Towel animals are cute, however, the extra towels, extra time to make the creations are both, IMO, a waste, both time and energy.  I ask my steward not to do them for me and have done so for the last 4-5 cruises.  If you have kids, sure, they're really a cute addition but otherwise....... just sayin'.. 😑

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I can't believe this argument is still RAGING... lol.  Towel animals are cute, however, the extra towels, extra time to make the creations are both, IMO, a waste, both time and energy.  I ask my steward not to do them for me and have done so for the last 4-5 cruises.  If you have kids, sure, they're really a cute addition but otherwise....... just sayin'.. 😑

I cannot find the words for this discussion. First-World problem does not come close. People are upset because every cabin on a ship will not get towel animals?  Why do you care if I get them? 

The solution: Ask for them! Every cruise, I leave a note for my room steward once I get into the room with any requests that I have. Things such as: Distilled water for CPAP, maybe empty the mini-bar, whatever I might want/need. I typically leave a tip too. The easy solution is to add a line saying that I would like towel animals (personally, I find them a complete waste of time and resources). Problem solved. And the solution is much easier than posting a response here. 

This is just my opinion of course.  It not about the towel animal itself, it's about making a passenger feel special.  It's the little things combined that make a passenger feel special and welcomed, the towel animals are just one of those little things.  The chocolates on the pillow were one of those little things too.  A friendly and smiling crew is another of those little things that mean a lot.  I guess the next thing they will do away with will be the nightly turn down service.

Cruising is slowly becoming nothing more than a boat ride from port to port.

And for those sticklers on the CC forum, yes I know it's a ship and not a boat.

• Like 2

Just off the Jade and we had towel animals every night except the first night.  I admit that that first night I was disappointed BUT didn't say anything having read about the new policy (also it was just my husband and I, no kids in the cabin).  However, the towel animals showed up every night after that.  Agree that it's just something that makes a guest feel special. FWIW, we were in an aft suite (not Haven though), so not sure if that makes a difference or not.  

This guy was my favorite, lol. 

IMG_2435(1).jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oakman58 said:

This is just my opinion of course.  It not about the towel animal itself, it's about making a passenger feel special.  It's the little things combined that make a passenger feel special and welcomed, the towel animals are just one of those little things.  The chocolates on the pillow were one of those little things too.  A friendly and smiling crew is another of those little things that mean a lot.  I guess the next thing they will do away with will be the nightly turn down service.

Cruising is slowly becoming nothing more than a boat ride from port to port.

And for those sticklers on the CC forum, yes I know it's a ship and not a boat.

I'm sure that if they do away with the nightly turn down service, passengers will start clamoring for a reduced DSC.  That would be a major take-away, worthy of a reduction.

BTW.  I like ship rides from port to port.  Flying isn't fun anymore.

55 minutes ago, kfnesq said:

Just off the Jade and we had towel animals every night except the first night.  I admit that that first night I was disappointed BUT didn't say anything having read about the new policy (also it was just my husband and I, no kids in the cabin).  However, the towel animals showed up every night after that.  Agree that it's just something that makes a guest feel special. FWIW, we were in an aft suite (not Haven though), so not sure if that makes a difference or not.  

This guy was my favorite, lol. 

IMG_2435(1).jpg

Not having a towel animal on the first night has nothing to do with the new policy. I can't recall  having  a towel animal on the first night...at least for the past several years.  Maybe you have, but I haven't. The cabin stewards work very hard that day turning over the rooms and I don't blame them for not spending the extra time needed to do towel animals.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Not having a towel animal on the first night has nothing to do with the new policy. I can't recall  having  a towel animal on the first night...at least for the past several years.  Maybe you have, but I haven't. The cabin stewards work very hard that day turning over the rooms and I don't blame them for not spending the extra time needed to do towel animals.

I didn't know that.  I think because I had read about the new policy I was more alert to it?  I actually don't recall if we've had them the first day before or not.  And don't get me wrong, our steward was amazing.  I wouldn't have asked for the towel animals if we didn't get them...but I was happy to see them each night.  🙂

Just off the Getaway for a short 4-day cruise to Bermuda. I took my great niece and nephew for their was first cruise and they knew all about towel animals. I told them before we sailed that they weren’t making them any longer....so imagine their surprise when Ryan made them every night!! 

• Like 1

We love the towel animals - made quite a zoo during our last 14 day cruise. We almost missed the bat he put on the ceiling light in the bedroom - yes we were in a 2br suite. Our steward did get an extra tip and a hero card - he already had several hero buttons on his shirt - as he should. He really made our cruise special each and every day.