Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Stateroom_Sailor

Celebrity Edge: Advertisement getting Desperate?

Recommended Posts

We have yet another ad this morning, promoting Edge.  That's 4 within the past month.  I looked up HAL, Princess, MSC, NCL, Carnival, and even RCCL, and this is simply not the case with any of the competition.  They may promote new ships and features in the pipeline, or new builds as they're delivered from the shipyard, but no fixation beyond that.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That runs fairly long..Is it a TV or internet ad?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I RARELY see cruise line ads ..and when I do--it's been Viking on PBS or similar... and makes me want to try it. See river cruise ads as well.  Have never seen Celebrity ad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celebrity  must be paying for all the ads with the exorbitant prices that they are charging for Edge. When I see the prices plummet, that’s when I’ll believe that Celebrity is desperate. In the meantime, it seems to me like the advertising is drumming up enough hoopla to fill up the ship at premium prices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I looked up HAL, Princess, MSC, NCL, Carnival, and even RCCL, and this is simply not the case with any of the competition.

Did those ads appear on your social media or on websites on your computer? Many times, Internet ads are targeted to specific users based on their browsing history and interests. For example, if you’re someone who frequently looks up Celebrity, you’ll get more ads for this cruise line. For me, I get almost daily ads for Royal Caribbean when I log in to my Snapchat or Facebook. A few months ago, we took a Carnival cruise which meant that I spent more time online looking up Carnival related info, and sure enough, I was bombarded with Carnival ads for a few months.

 

This tracking can feel invasive, not only with cruise lines, but with all products. I’ll look something up on my phone and next thing I know, there’s an ad pertaining to that product on my home computer. Sometimes it feels like I’m just thinking about something and an ad will pop up for what I’m thinking about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Did those ads appear on your social media or on websites on your computer? Many times, Internet ads are targeted to specific users based on their browsing history and interests. For example, if you’re someone who frequently looks up Celebrity, you’ll get more ads for this cruise line. For me, I get almost daily ads for Royal Caribbean when I log in to my Snapchat or Facebook. A few months ago, we took a Carnival cruise which meant that I spent more time online looking up Carnival related info, and sure enough, I was bombarded with Carnival ads for a few months.

 

This tracking can feel invasive, not only with cruise lines, but with all products. I’ll look something up on my phone and next thing I know, there’s an ad pertaining to that product on my home computer. Sometimes it feels like I’m just thinking about something and an ad will pop up for what I’m thinking about. 

 

I am subscribed to most mass market cruise lines on youtube, plus Windstar, Avalon, and Azamara.  While I do get Celebrity ads the way you are describing, these videos and promos were updated by choice.  I'm just noticing a major difference in focus, X compared to everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You beat me to it, Luvcrusn. They are on the deals constantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the focus, is what they are selling: fasionably new.

im not buying, at least yet.

you can stop some of the tracking by deleting cookies regularly, however if i shop nikon lenses, my wife gets nikon pop ups! Its kind of scary....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Celebrity  must be paying for all the ads with the exorbitant prices that they are charging for Edge. When I see the prices plummet, that’s when I’ll believe that Celebrity is desperate. In the meantime, it seems to me like the advertising is drumming up enough hoopla to fill up the ship at premium prices. 

 

 

Unsure about filling up that ship, this is just one IV category’s available cabins for a cruise at the start of June 2019, notice the extortionate pricing:

 

 

E9342F8A-ED0B-4626-99A4-4AD49267A660.jpeg

46909560-AAF7-47B6-8A40-C3AA1C623BFD.jpeg

Edited by villauk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, villauk said:

You beat me to it, Luvcrusn. They are on the deals constantly.

Great minds think alike....patting ourselves on the back for the thoughts!😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

I think the focus, is what they are selling: fasionably new.

im not buying, at least yet.

you can stop some of the tracking by deleting cookies regularly, however if i shop nikon lenses, my wife gets nikon pop ups! Its kind of scary....

Another way of stopping the adds is to shop only using Incognito windows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this week's Xciting Deals was 12 pages!!! Celebrity pricing is way out of whack for what people are willing to pay (or else they wouldn't have so many). The breakdown within the Xciting Deals:

Edge, Solstice - 9 sailings each

Millennium, Eclipse, Summit - 8 sailings each

Equinox, Reflection - 6 sailings each

Constellation - 3 sailings

Infinity - 2 sailings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, villauk said:

 

Unsure about filling up that ship, this is just one IV category’s available cabins for a cruise at the start of June 2019, notice the extortionate pricing:

 

 

To continue sailing X without getting hosed, you pretty much need to book 2-3 overpriced cruises, and cancel as needed before final payment.  Either that or look at historical trends, or book after final payment.  I guarantee, X prices for Fall 2020 / Spring 2021 are going to be on absolute clearance 12-18 months from now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

 

Internet Ad.  Here is another:

 

 

 

Paul writes very good  live reviews from  the ships...Surprised he agreed to do the ad.  We don't get X internet ads..other than in e mails.  Not on facebook or subscribed on You Tube... Too many ads as it is!

Edited by hcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My take on all of the advertizements is that there is nothing wrong or odd for any company who has a new product try to get the information to as many people as possible, even those who have sailed.

 

Most of us who know a little something about the internet, understand that search engines tell/advise their advertizers that they can reach anyone who is looking at or for a cruise by knowing who has searched or has for anything dealing with cruises.

 

If you use YouTube you have told google that you are interested in cruises and the lines.

 

It only looks desperate and disparate because the ads are targeted based on you and your searches and likes and potential searches and articles read.

 

The posit of the title may be a bit over reaching to make a point, which in the long or short term means nothing but pure targeted advertizing.

 

I posit, if the OP and others who may be bothered or otherwise thinking the worst of X or any other product for the targeted hits, wipe out your cookies, delete any bookmarks for products which you visit a great deal and see what happens from there in terms of being targeted and desperation.

 

bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe I was a bit unclear.  I was comparing video content on youtube, comparing every mass market cruise line.  These are not targeted ads per say, nor do I think it is unethical to produce them.  However, X is the only line fixated on a past build.  Sure, it has only been 5 months, but I couldn't find a single example of promotional video being developed, after the inaugural sailing, from any of other cruise lines.  Certainly not a video every week, 5 months out...

 

This leads me to believe, that the other cruise lines have more effectively promoted their ship beforehand, or that they're priced accordingly, or more popular.  If their new ships are sailing full, there's no need to keep pressing it.  You still have all your old promo material online, and passengers making their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hcat said:

 

Paul writes very good  live reviews from  the ships...Surprised he agreed to do the ad.  We don't get X internet ads..other than in e mails.  Not on facebook or subscribed on You Tube... Too many ads as it is!

 

 

Did he say in his review if he got any incentives for doing the ad?

Edited by villauk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I believe I was a bit unclear.  I was comparing video content on youtube, comparing every mass market cruise line.  These are not targeted ads per say, nor do I think it is unethical to produce them.  However, X is the only line fixated on a past build.  Sure, it has only been 5 months, but I couldn't find a single example of promotional video being developed, after the inaugural sailing, from any of other cruise lines.  Certainly not a video every week, 5 months out...

 

This leads me to believe, that the other cruise lines have more effectively promoted their ship beforehand, or that they're priced accordingly, or more popular.  If their new ships are sailing full, there's no need to keep pressing it.  You still have all your old promo material online, and passengers making their own.

 

???  Every cruise line promotes heavily on youtube... It is a major source of marketing:

 

https://www.youtube.com/user/Carnival/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/RoyalCaribbeanIntl/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/NCLFreestyle/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/CELEBRITYCRUISES/videos

 

volume/mix of videos doesn't really look that different across the lines to me?  Maybe edge is slightly more prominent, but I think a lot of it can be attributed to the fact that it's a first-in-class ship.  I mean isn't that what all the hype and excitement and expectation is for? Isn't it why everyone here hates on it so much because it's a first-in-class?  Most of the other mainstream lines haven't launched a new class in recent years (HAL Nieuw Statendam, NCL Bliss, RCC Symphony, MSC Seaview, Majestic Princess)

 

If you look at the other recent first in class ships, maybe you can even consider the official coverage a little muted:

 

Carnival Vista

https://www.youtube.com/user/Carnival/search?query=vista

 

AIDANova

https://www.youtube.com/user/aida/videos

 

Genting Dream

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuTyJ07kM1VR-sWKwZBF9-Q/videos
 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, villauk said:

 

 

Did he say in his review if he got any incentives for doing the ad?

 

No incentives for doing the ad or "testimonial." They offered after I agreed to do that to comp a specialty dinner but we already had that comped due to a room mix up when we boarded so it didn't matter either way.  Honestly the best "payment" and at the end of the day the only payment I received was the ability to chat with the production crew and cruise director when making the video. It was fun watching them set up the cameras during the day in Eden and chatting with Damian about his job, etc. 

 

I was approached by the hotel director who was contacted by someone in the Miami office. They asked if I'd be willing to speak on camera a little bit for something they could use for advertising for a 60 second promo. They said it was to be a testimonial of sorts. They said no pressure whatsoever if I said no. I was more than happy to do it. 

 

What they aired in the video was actually I was spoke about, straight through, on the first take. I asked them what they wanted me to speak about and they said "whatever you'd like." So I figured I'd speak about what I was doing when I booked the cruise and our initial thoughts when boarding.  I spoke on a few other things as well such as the restaurants I visited, etc. 

 

I do have to chuckle a bit about the way people look in the ads though. Before we boarded the ship we were talking with our friends about how everyone looks so beautiful and well put together in all the Celebrity ads, especially the Edge ones. Everyone's hair looks amazing (no wind is blowing it), everyone looks like they work out 7 days a week, etc. But I guess at the end of the day that is advertising. Just like car commercials or anything else I suppose. 

 

At the end of the day (and my live blog mentions this too) I found the ship absolutely beautiful. Are there flaws and quirks? Of course, but that is the case with everything. Overall I was highly impressed by the aesthetics of the ship and as I mentioned at the end of the video and this is true with every cruise we're on, the staff make us feeling as if we're coming back home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, killsport said:

I saw this week's Xciting Deals was 12 pages!!! Celebrity pricing is way out of whack for what people are willing to pay (or else they wouldn't have so many). The breakdown within the Xciting Deals:

Edge, Solstice - 9 sailings each

Millennium, Eclipse, Summit - 8 sailings each

Equinox, Reflection - 6 sailings each

Constellation - 3 sailings

Infinity - 2 sailings

And the eXciting deals for Edge are still higher for the eXciting deals for all their other ships. Edge sale prices are still no bargain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...