Power Outlets on Maasdam

washbird

We're getting ready to buy a power strip with USB ports that does not have surge protection so that it will be acceptable to HAL and other cruise lines. Does anyone remember what the power outlets look like in Maasdam staterooms? I can't remember (even though we've sailed on her many times) if the outlet takes a three-prong plug or only two. The power strip we'd like to get has three prongs. Thanks!

We were on Maasdam last May and June, and I think both the U.S.- and European-spec plugs were two-prong. There may have been USB ports as well, but I don't remember. 

We just take a lightweight two-conductor extension cord with three sockets, which works quite well for our phone, tablet, and camera chargers, and didn't cost much. The stewards always unplugged it while we were out.

I do remember that the ships outlets were somewhat recessed and were not very suitable for anything much larger than an extension cord plug, not a charger (at least the ones we had).

Good luck. 

Whether the power strip has a surge protector or not, it is still subject to seizure by Port Security who are not trained to know the difference.   If there is a cord connected to a multi-outlet extension, it might be siezed.  Here is a screen photo of the video running on my ship tv on Embarkation Day:

image.png.4c208cbc9782c429d0976e56f18af2ce.png

There should be at least one European outlet in each stateroom.  Since cell phones, headphones, laptops, and tablets are rated at 110-240 volts I purchased a European-to-US adapter with two US outlets:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR9DB9X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also purchased a multiport 110-240V USB adapter so that I can plug in 5-USB devices to the above adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IUTIUEA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using the above leaves your ship's AC outlet free for a two or three outlet adapter for those electrical items that work only on 110V. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Crew News said:

Whether the power strip has a surge protector or not, it is still subject to seizure by Port Security who are not trained to know the difference.   If there is a cord connected to a multi-outlet extension, it might be siezed.  Here is a screen photo of the video running on my ship tv on Embarkation Day:

image.png.4c208cbc9782c429d0976e56f18af2ce.png

There should be at least one European outlet in each stateroom.  Since cell phones, headphones, laptops, and tablets are rated at 110-240 volts I purchased a European-to-US adapter with two US outlets:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR9DB9X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also purchased a multiport 110-240V USB adapter so that I can plug in 5-USB devices to the above adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IUTIUEA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using the above leaves your ship's AC outlet free for a two or three outlet adapter for those electrical items that work only on 110V.

Here is a three outlet cube for the 110V AC outlet that you can stack to add even more 110V AC outlets and these are not considered extension cords:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY5WZVT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note that stacked adapters should not be used for multple devices that draw a lot of current (hair dryers, steamers, curling irons, etc.)

Edited by Crew News

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Maasdam in February/March. The staterooms have one so called European outlet (230V) and one USA outlet (110V). Our cabin steward brought us (we did not even ask for it) an adapter for multiple devices. No need to carry one yourself. 

On 4/10/2019 at 5:31 PM, washbird said:

if the outlet takes a three-prong plug or only two. The power strip we'd like to get has three prongs.

IIRC it's 3 prong because I think I could plug 3-prong chargers in. But, just in case, pick up a 2-to-3 adapter at any hardware store.

Edited by catl331

This image is from a CC thread in 2017 about Maasdam outlets. It matches a 2018 video that I have where the desk outlet appears briefly, but is highly pixelated. The rocker switch is for a lighted swivel make-up mirror. Then you get a 115Vac 60 Hz three prong outlet with a European CEE7 220Vac 50 Hz outlet at the end.  On these older HAL ships, as you know, we must bring our own USB cubes.

vgpl6r.jpg