Observations AT Port Of CIVITAVEVCCHIA, ITALY

Keith1010

Euro Cruiser, thank you for the map, thats extremely helpful as my wife and I were planning to arrive to the port by train, and a 600 m walk will not be stressful for us, especially if it means we dont have to rely on 2 buses, we'll also be there in October, so I dont anticipate it being too hot.

Ā 

Is it possible to find out which dock the ship will be using?

Ā 

Thanks,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info on this thread. I am traveling in May 2020 and have always done Caribbean cruises. I didn't know if it was possible to walk off the ship and grab transport on your own as you do in the islands. It is good to know there are some options. I found a good website for the Mediterranean in general for figuring out the transport options called: Mediterranean Cruise Ports Easy.

3 hours ago, GMRPHRN said:

I found a good website for the Mediterranean in general for figuring out the transport options called: Mediterranean Cruise Ports Easy.

Ā 

Sites like that are good for general planning but be careful about relying on them for up to date, specific information.Ā  When they try to cover so much territory the odds of ensuring current data on every port drops significantly. Ā Especially for transportation, always go directly to the source for current data.Ā 

4 hours ago, floridababa said:

Are there anyĀ  hotels near the port?Ā  Anything to do? Restaurants?

The port is on the edge of town.Ā  The city is actually quite walkable.Ā  The town has its share of restaurants ranging from a McDonalds to some cafĆ©/restaurants.Ā  There are a few restaurants across the street from the Promenade that extends south from the old port entrance (near the Fort) that have a sea view.Ā  The town also has a few smaller hotels.Ā  There really is not much to do in town (other then browse a few stores). Ā Ā 

Ā 

Hank

On 4/29/2019 at 10:42 PM, euro cruiser said:

They don't assign berths in advance and, even if they did, it would be subject to last minute change due to tides, etc.

That is so true. Ā Our last trip to Civitavecchia found us docked at the industrial part. Ā This had been a last minute arrival as Naples was closed due to bad weather. Ā We usually walk off the ship to the train station but this time we couldnā€™t. Ā Ā It was disappointing for those who had not done the trip before, but it isĀ the downsideĀ of cruising in the autumn. Ā 

Ā 

I was interested to see the bus to Orvieto. Ā I would consider that another time!Ā 

Ā 

I donā€™t often dismiss places, but Civi is really not a port stop to visit. Ā Tarquinia is wellĀ Ā worth half a day. Ā 

First time to Civi...I think we are going to take the Express train into Rome.Ā  How long should we allow for waiting on the shuttle to the train station?Ā  Did I also read that someone said it's only a 20 minute walk instead to the train station? Ā 

• Like 1

Hootss: it only takes about 20 minutes from where the shuttle leaves you. Ā It may only take about 20 minutes from the ship (the shuttle actually takes you away from the station) however you cannot be sure where you are going to dock. Ā I suppose that once you dock you could use Google Maps to see the distance. Ā 

Ā 

It is so hard to tell how long it takes to get off the ship, find the next shuttle bus andĀ wait for it to fill up. Ā ItĀ doesnā€™t take long to walk from the shuttle bus into the station and locate the platform, but that is another couple of minutes. Ā Those people who have not got tickets have to queue up or locate a machine to purchase the tickets and then validate them. Ā You may have to go down the steps under the line to get the train to Rome. Ā It all adds up. Ā Since missing your express train would really spoil your day, I would allow at least an hour (I have done it 5 times and it has always been OK). Ā You can always have a coffee when you get to the station. Ā  I would be interested to know how long others allow. Ā 

Ā 

We usually walk back from the station and have a gelato on the way. Ā By this time you are not so stressed - unless you have timed things badly and you only have 30 minutes to sail-away time. Ā šŸ˜±

15 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Hootss: it only takes about 20 minutes from where the shuttle leaves you. Ā It may only take about 20 minutes from the ship (the shuttle actually takes you away from the station) however you cannot be sure where you are going to dock. Ā I suppose that once you dock you could use Google Maps to see the distance. Ā 

Ā 

It is so hard to tell how long it takes to get off the ship, find the next shuttle bus andĀ wait for it to fill up. Ā ItĀ doesnā€™t take long to walk from the shuttle bus into the station and locate the platform, but that is another couple of minutes. Ā Those people who have not got tickets have to queue up or locate a machine to purchase the tickets and then validate them. Ā You may have to go down the steps under the line to get the train to Rome. Ā It all adds up. Ā Since missing your express train would really spoil your day, I would allow at least an hour (I have done it 5 times and it has always been OK). Ā You can always have a coffee when you get to the station. Ā  I would be interested to know how long others allow. Ā 

Ā 

We usually walk back from the station and have a gelato on the way. Ā By this time you are not so stressed - unless you have timed things badly and you only have 30 minutes to sail-away time. Ā šŸ˜±

Thanks!

Ā 

On ā€Ž4ā€Ž/ā€Ž11ā€Ž/ā€Ž2019 at 5:16 AM, Keith1010 said:

Today we are docked at the port.

Ā 

This is my third visit to the port since the port entrance gate was moved.

Ā 

On the first visit we were disembarking the ship. Ā Most recently last September Ā we were embarking this ship.

Ā 

Today the port stop is a stop on our voyage.

Ā 

For those who want to get off the ship and walk to the new port entrance I would recommend against it. Ā It might be a long walk but it also would involve walking not only on a sidewalk but on the actual road. Ā 

Ā 

Some have asked about catching the train. Ā Give yourself a lot of time. Ā Why?

Ā 

Because you need to take the in port shuttle and how often it runs varies. Ā Today it took awhile.

Ā 

Once you are dropped off the walk to the train station is a greater distance than before.

Ā 

Your other options are a bus or a taxi.

Ā 

IMG_8532.thumb.jpg.3c4c22c7a012c892132c4dfecced3ca9.jpg

Ā 

For those who like to have the option of finding a tour on the fly the one positive with the change of entrance for the port is that you have a bunch of vendors at the in-port shuttle drop off trying to sell you tours. Ā I didn't take a photo of all the vendors but just took one of a sign.

Ā 

Ā 

IMG_3271.thumb.jpg.666abb0eae841d37f9a12a1919ace87d.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Personally I am sorry that the entrance was moved. Ā I always enjoyed the simplicity of walking from ship to the entrance and walking the town from that area.

I do realized that the benefits to the change is better port security and the ability to handle more ships than ever before.

Ā 

Keith

This will be our first trip to Europe. Can you please tell me how long the walk is from the ship to where we would catch our bus for our tour? Our tour is scheduled to get back at 6:15pm and our ship leaves at 7:00pm. I am not a fast walker and I'm wondering how much time it takes to get back to the ship. (It is a ship sponsored excursion.)

1 hour ago, Moose12345 said:

This will be our first trip to Europe. Can you please tell me how long the walk is from the ship to where we would catch our bus for our tour? Our tour is scheduled to get back at 6:15pm and our ship leaves at 7:00pm. I am not a fast walker and I'm wondering how much time it takes to get back to the ship. (It is a ship sponsored excursion.)

Since it is through the ship the bus will be parked just a few steps from the ship so no worries.

Ā 

Keith

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

Since it is through the ship the bus will be parked just a few steps from the ship so no worries.

Ā 

Keith

Thank you Keith for easing my mind.šŸ™‚Ā  I feel a lot better about taking this excursion now. I know the ship will wait for us, but I didn't want to be "that couple" to hold the ship up. This is the first time our excursion has been that close to sail time.

9 minutes ago, Moose12345 said:

Thank you Keith for easing my mind.šŸ™‚Ā  I feel a lot better about taking this excursion now. I know the ship will wait for us, but I didn't want to be "that couple" to hold the ship up. This is the first time our excursion has been that close to sail time.

You are very welcome and that is the benefit of doing the ships excursion.

Ā 

Keith