Cruise Critic Community
ladybub101

Passenger #1 name switch

What happens if the first person on the reservation (room for 2 adults) is unable to go on the cruise?  The cruise was booked as non-refundable.  Does the deposit for passenger #1 get forfeited or can it be used for someone else to take their place?  (In other words, no extra deposit for the person replacing). 

From my understanding, as long as one of the original passengers remain on the reservation then it is a simple name switch.  Doesn't matter if it is the 1st or 2nd passenger

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ladybub101 said:

What happens if the first person on the reservation (room for 2 adults) is unable to go on the cruise?  The cruise was booked as non-refundable.  Does the deposit for passenger #1 get forfeited or can it be used for someone else to take their place?  (In other words, no extra deposit for the person replacing). 

if past final payment I think you can just change names. Doesn't matter how it was booked.

Edited by cruisinfanatic

And before final payment?  Are they any charges/losses to change the name to someone else?

32 minutes ago, ladybub101 said:

And before final payment?  Are they any charges/losses to change the name to someone else?

Before final is ddifferent. The passenger cancelling would lose $100 of their deposit with the rest as a credit to future cruise within 1 yr. The passenger replacing would need to pay the full deposit

34 minutes ago, ladybub101 said:

No cost to change name at any time.

1 hour ago, gatour said:

From my understanding, as long as one of the original passengers remain on the reservation then it is a simple name switch.  Doesn't matter if it is the 1st or 2nd passenger

Oh good to know, I always thought you had to keep #1 but if it's just you need to keep one of the original passengers that makes more sense.

26 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Before final is ddifferent. The passenger cancelling would lose $100 of their deposit with the rest as a credit to future cruise within 1 yr. The passenger replacing would need to pay the full deposit

Ah this makes sense!  I would think I'd decide based on who was booked and who had paid for what.  If I booked everyone and paid, I'd rather wait for final and just change a name instead of someone else getting a FCC.

1 hour ago, cruisinfanatic said:

This was not the case with friends of ours who had to make a change. The change was made months before final payment and there was no penalty or fee charged to anyone. The deposit from person "A" went to person "B".