Celebrity orders 5th Edge Class Ship[

dkjretired

14 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

it is not and it was not.

What you mean is that you didn't know it was for sale and you missed the thread on these very boards with a link to the brokers website offering the vessel for sale. 😉

34 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

it is not and it was not.

Everything is for sale at the right price.

I think we all new that M class ships would be moved on some time when most of the edge class are opetational, past history tells us that.

My bet is that they will be moved within the RC family.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 24acorns said:

Everything is for sale at the right price.

I think we all new that M class ships would be moved on some time when most of the edge class are opetational, past history tells us that.

My bet is that they will be moved within the RC family.  

Tui or Marella perhaps - Marella (has some very old ships)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alexsarasota said:

Even though we continually read harsh comments on the Edge we still reserved a sky suite in Dec.  We plan on forming our own opinion after our Edge experience. 

You’ve booked a sky suite which is a totally difference experience on Edge. Most of the negative comments are referring to the IVs, and of course the fetid odour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dodger1964 said:

My problem with it is that you can't use it and have the AC (or heater??) on at the same time...If they made it where the doors closed and allowed the AC to work, it would be a major improvement in my mind.

I've read that several people were able to turn off the "green mode" found on the thermostat and this allows the a/c to stay on when the IV is open.  I haven't been on the ship yet myself to try this, but multiple people have reported this worked for them.  I hope they're right!

4 hours ago, mnocket said:

Does Edge Class dictate Infinite Verandas?

Since the fundamental structural design of the Edge class was altered to allow IVs, can traditional balconies be retrofitted into the Edge structure?  My guess is no, but I really don't know.

The second Edge class ship was supposed to be Beyond, but the name was changed to Apex. LLP explained that Beyond was going to be different (going “beyond the edge”). I’m curious which of the 3 yet to be built will be “Beyond”?

There is plenty of time to make structural changes. My guess is that eventually the ships will have a balance of IV's and regular verandah cabins.

Given the amount of objections to the IV on these boards and elsewhere, I would be surprised if future Edge class ships don't include at least MORE real balconies, if not ALL real balconies due to structural limitations. We would never book an IV - beyond the AC issue (for which I understand there may be a work around) and the not-really-outdoors feel, I like to be able to go out on the balcony while keeping the room dark for DH if he is sleeping, and vice versa. The handful of traditional balconies are in really odd locations, so unless we want a Sunset Verandah or a suite, we aren't interested. Hopefully Celebrity will find a way to restore real balconies to at least SOME rooms in every class (no real balconies in AQ seems especially short-sighted to me).

7 hours ago, Mynki said:

What you mean is that you didn't know it was for sale and you missed the thread on these very boards with a link to the brokers website offering the vessel for sale. 😉

Those brokers do not have a mandate from the owner to sell a ship, they just publish offers to initiate something as indeed everything might be for sale at the right price.

7 hours ago, DYKWIA said:

Tui or Marella perhaps - Marella (has some very old ships)

Marella or Pullmantur maybe, TUI has been focused on building new ships with several more on order. Pullmantur struggled with their key markets in Spain and France, opposite to Germany, UK and others no growth in the past years. Marella got former Galaxy and Century and should get former Mercury from TUI next. That should be sufficient for the near future.

Edited by Saab4444

6 hours ago, cricketgirl said:

I've read that several people were able to turn off the "green mode" found on the thermostat and this allows the a/c to stay on when the IV is open.  I haven't been on the ship yet myself to try this, but multiple people have reported this worked for them.  I hope they're right!

Do you know How?

8 hours ago, cricketgirl said:

I saw that too, but someone else said all it does it allow the A/C to run when you are not in the room.  Maybe someone can verify how it works.

10 hours ago, cricketgirl said:

Presumably, by turning off the "Green Mode" the a/c therefore continues to run and this will mean increased costs for Celebrity..... If Celebrity realise this I  expect the engineers are urgently working out how to update the software  to remove the ability for guests to turn off Green Mode  😁 -

14 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Those brokers do not have a mandate from the owner to sell a ship, they just publish offers to initiate something as indeed everything might be for sale at the right price.

I was right then. lol 

We sailed on Edge in an IV last week.  We are elite and have sailed nearly all the Solstice and Millie ships at one time or another.  The IV is fine -- we enjoyed it, particularly leaving the window open while sleeping, having a breeze and hearing the sounds of the sea below.  Getting rid of the watertight door to the balcony really does make it part of the cabin, and while we have never sailed in an ocean view it seems obvious that being able to have the window open is completely different. To me, complaining about the lack of a footstool is about as serious as complaining about the lack of a cherry on  a cupcake in the buffet.  YMMV.  Anyway, weren't footstools only an Aqua class thing in the first place?  I don't remember.

Other things we liked are that the food is definitely improved compared to every other Celebrity ship we've been on, and at least for our sailing there appeared to be ample space in the restaurants generally and around the pool; I know we weren't full but AFAIK it was close, so it appears the designers have allowed for more seating.  The traffic flow takes some time to get used to, but to me anyway it is definitely more interesting than the older ships.

My general observation is that these ships were designed from the get-go to appeal to folks who will be sailing on them a decade or two or more into the future, i.e. youngsters now.  Their tastes and lifestyles are not the same.  Most of the complaining here seems to be from 5,000+ posting types who have been cruising for 25 years, which means they aren't going to be around much longer, and anyway they always have the option to sail on the older ships if they don't like the new features.  It would be crazy to build a ship that will last for 30 years to suit the typical tastes of folks now in their 70's (which includes me BTW).  To those who don't like Edge, I say get over it.  Don't book it -- it wasn't meant for you.  Fine.  But to say Celebrity/RCL has made some sort of huge basic mistake in this design just simply reflects being out-of-touch with current (and more importantly future) trends and realities among the future customer base. I think they're on the right track, and I think the ships will prove to be very successful.

Edited by jan-n-john
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting post.. glad you liked EDGE.

We did too. I have many posts on CC and have been cruising  X since Mercury.

Please don't  let anyone make this an age thing ,  or write me off so soon!  We have Edge  booked again , as well as  renovated Summit  and  Apex .  Sure hope we'll  be around to enjoy it..

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jan-n-john said:

We sailed on Edge in an IV last week.  We are elite and have sailed nearly all the Solstice and Millie ships at one time or another.  The IV is fine -- we enjoyed it, particularly leaving the window open while sleeping, having a breeze and hearing the sounds of the sea below.  Getting rid of the watertight door to the balcony really does make it part of the cabin, and while we have never sailed in an ocean view it seems obvious that being able to have the window open is completely different. To me, complaining about the lack of a footstool is about as serious as complaining about the lack of a cherry on  a cupcake in the buffet.  YMMV.  Anyway, weren't footstools only an Aqua class thing in the first place?  I don't remember.

Other things we liked are that the food is definitely improved compared to every other Celebrity ship we've been on, and at least for our sailing there appeared to be ample space in the restaurants generally and around the pool; I know we weren't full but AFAIK it was close, so it appears the designers have allowed for more seating.  The traffic flow takes some time to get used to, but to me anyway it is definitely more interesting than the older ships.

My general observation is that these ships were designed from the get-go to appeal to folks who will be sailing on them a decade or two or more into the future, i.e. youngsters now.  Their tastes and lifestyles are not the same.  Most of the complaining here seems to be from 5,000+ posting types who have been cruising for 25 years, which means they aren't going to be around much longer, and anyway they always have the option to sail on the older ships if they don't like the new features.  It would be crazy to build a ship that will last for 30 years to suit the typical tastes of folks now in their 70's (which includes me BTW).  To those who don't like Edge, I say get over it.  Don't book it -- it wasn't meant for you.  Fine.  But to say Celebrity/RCL has made some sort of huge basic mistake in this design just simply reflects being out-of-touch with current (and more importantly future) trends and realities among the future customer base. I think they're on the right track, and I think the ships will prove to be very successful.

I'm curious as to why you think the food is better on Edge. I would have assumed that Celebrity use exactly the same suppliers for all of their ships sailing out of South Florida at this time of year. Why would Edge be any different? 

31 minutes ago, hcat said:

Interesting post.. glad you liked EDGE.

We did too. I have many posts on CC and have been cruising  X since Mercury.

Please don't  let anyone make this an age thing ,  or write me off so soon!  We have Edge  booked again , as well as  renovated Summit  and  Apex .  Sure hope we'll  be around to enjoy it..

I'm sorry.  Didn't mean to make it seem like an age thing.  That said, while it's not an age thing when looking at individuals, when looking at the totality of the market a business has to go with the average or most typical and that includes the preferences of the average market participant (customer). There are always exceptions, but in the big picture the preferences of typical cruise customers 20 years from now won't be the same as those now, and RCL has to build ships now geared to the future preferences, not those that predominate today.  That is the essential business fact that so many who have posted here, as far as I can see, fail to grasp. Just MHO.  And I promise I'm not "writing you off."  BTW we have a B2B scheduled on Apex next year.

Edited by jan-n-john

Just now, Mynki said:

I'm curious as to why you think the food is better on Edge. I would have assumed that Celebrity use exactly the same suppliers for all of their ships sailing out of South Florida at this time of year. Why would Edge be any different? 

The quality of what lands on your plate depends on a lot more than just the identity of the suppliers.  For openers, all big suppliers supply a range of qualities.  For another, the ship can choose different and better ingredients and preparations, and more modern dishes -- I saw no beef wellington or baked alaska, but I did see what I would view as more updated menu items, and that matters.  I imagine it's part of the reason Celebrity introduced the four MDR concept.  Finally, the kitchen staff themselves do have an impact.  I assume Celebrity put the better performers in the newest kitchen.  

I'm not saying the difference was night and day; more like 6 vs. 8 o'clock.

I'm sure that your local two star restaurants buy at least some things from the same supplier(s) as your local greasy spoons and chain places, but the food certainly isn't the same for a host of reasons.

46 minutes ago, jan-n-john said:

YMMV.  Anyway, weren't footstools only an Aqua class thing in the first place?  I don't remember.

My general observation is that these ships were designed from the get-go to appeal to folks who will be sailing on them a decade or two or more into the future, i.e. youngsters now.  Their tastes and lifestyles are not the same.  Most of the complaining here seems to be from 5,000+ posting types who have been cruising for 25 years, which means they aren't going to be around much longer,

No, footstools were an amenity of a Concierge balcony

Well gee, thanks. I'm barely 50.  Most young people I know are off renting their Balinese villas with private plunge pools or hotels such as the blue palace in Crete for a fraction of the price of Edge.  A window that half opens isn't going to get their attention.

• Like 1