Suggestions for Equinox in Caribbean?

oleb84

So I've just booked a 12nt sailing from Fort Lauderdale on the Equinox as a surprise for my wife's 40th birthday. Not until Feb 2021 unfortunately but at least that means I've got plenty of time to ensure we both have the best time ever!

We're flying from the UK and never been to mainland US together before so I'm most likely going to book 3nts in Miami before we sail.

At this point our little boy will be 4.5 years old and his grand parents have kindly offered to look after him for this 2 and a bit weeks we are away. It'll be hard for the Mrs to give him up for such a long period of time but I'm sure we will get half way through the flight and she will appreciate what is about to happen!

Anyway, I digress...

My question(s) is fairly simple; is there anything I REALLY need to do for this once in a lifetime experience? Any specific hotel/area in Miami? Do I rent a car or rely on taxis? I like a few beers, the Mrs doesn't but she also doesn't drive. How do we spend our time in Miami? 

I've booked a balcony cabin, mid range. Deck 8 I think. I can't remember exactly now! Front of the ship. 

We have sailed 3x with RCI and [by then] 3x with P&O so are fully accustomed to cruising but not the finer details of Celebrity. 

I'm going to stop rambling now! I'm excited...

All and any help/input/guidence will be greatly appreciated!

• Like 2

Strongly suggest you do fly in early to enjoy a few days in Florida first. Flights can be delayed/changed/cancelled so this time also gives you a ‘cushion’ if any issues do arise.

Miami, to me is a place I have enjoyed visiting and looking at the architecture but even when cruising from there we may stay in Fort Lauderdale which we find more relaxing...

Hotel prices in both resorts range from budget to budget blowing, it really depends on what you want. You really need to decide on whether you want to pay for a luxury beach resort or simply have a clean and comfortable room. We tend to find the Embassy Suites a good mid range hotel. Prices include a decent breakfast and a managers evening reception with a range of free drinks and snacks....

If you are happy driving then the Everglades is worth a visit. Alternativly the concierges in most hotels can arrange tours for you. We have never done this so can’t comment on value.

If you want something different hire a car and drive down to Key West....Some wonderful bars and a wide variety of hotels to spend a night or two. We have done this pre or post cruise several times.

Equinox has a refit this May, we cruise on her for the third time in September. I suggest you keep looking for reviews on Equinox cruises so you get a ‘feel’ for the ship. You will find Celebrity far more restful and relaxing than RC. There are no noisy announcements or belly flop competitions. You need to check your daily planner to see what is going on. Food, in my opinion is much better on Celebrity. I suggest you look at prebooking a speciality dining package...

Much as surprises are always nice when are you going to let your wife know? She may get lots of pleasure from planning hotels and following cruise reviews, just a thought...

Sincere best wishes for a fantastic cruise! 

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you go to the Florida departure boards there is a lot of information on hotels, dining and things to do in both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. I agree with letting your wife know ahead of time, maybe a cruise themed card on her 39th birthday so she has a year to plan and read reviews.  It will also make it easier for her to decide on a wardrobe.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/

• Thanks 1

Thanks both! Yes, couldn't agree more about letting her know. My idea was to drop "hints" on the monthly date for 6 months after her 39th birthday and then give her the full details 6 months beforehand. I am a firm believer that half of the fun of a holiday is the excitement and anticipation. And we are both big "planners" so she will like the ability to make decisions herself.

So would you suggest Fort Lauderdale would be a better place to stay? We aren't looking for a huge nightlife, relaxing is definately a better course for us. But we would absolutely have to spend a day or 2 in Miami just because we can. Would a taxi be a realistic approach to that? Don't want to change hotels as carrying 50 odd kilos of luggage would be a logistical nightmare! So definately just looking for a 3nt base. 

What are the current best premium dining areas on the Equinox? Some of the best experiences we had with RCI were in the speciality restaurants so would happily indulge in that again.

Does anyone know what is planned to change during her refit?

We stayed in Miami for the first time last November before our first Celebrity cruise (also on the Equinox).  We actually arrived Thanksgiving afternoon.  We used Uber to get from the airport to our hotel and then from our hotel to the port.  It was quite affordable (though confusing to find our driver at the MIA airport).  We walked everywhere else because of the location.

Our hotel was Marriott Vacation Club Pulse on South Beach.  We wanted to be in the heart of the activities and right by the beach, which we were.  I would definitely book the hotel again.  We walked to restaurants and along the shoreline, we even got to watch a cruise ship sail past as we were heading to dinner one evening!

You can book further north along the beach for less money and less hubbub, so it all depends on what you want to do.  We just loved walking Ocean Beach and looking at all the art deco architecture and the neon lights, not to mention all the convertibles driving past.

As for the absolute best dining are on the Equinox?  Imho, that's Murano.  We dined there the first night of our cruise and it was just fabulous!  Incredible food and amazing service.

It sounds like such a wonderful gift for your wife!  I'm sure you all will have a marvelous time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, oleb84 said:

So I've just booked a 12nt sailing from Fort Lauderdale on the Equinox as a surprise for my wife's 40th birthday. Not until Feb 2021 unfortunately but at least that means I've got plenty of time to ensure we both have the best time ever!

We're flying from the UK and never been to mainland US together before so I'm most likely going to book 3nts in Miami before we sail.

At this point our little boy will be 4.5 years old and his grand parents have kindly offered to look after him for this 2 and a bit weeks we are away. It'll be hard for the Mrs to give him up for such a long period of time but I'm sure we will get half way through the flight and she will appreciate what is about to happen!

Anyway, I digress...

My question(s) is fairly simple; is there anything I REALLY need to do for this once in a lifetime experience? Any specific hotel/area in Miami? Do I rent a car or rely on taxis? I like a few beers, the Mrs doesn't but she also doesn't drive. How do we spend our time in Miami? 

I've booked a balcony cabin, mid range. Deck 8 I think. I can't remember exactly now! Front of the ship. 

We have sailed 3x with RCI and [by then] 3x with P&O so are fully accustomed to cruising but not the finer details of Celebrity. 

I'm going to stop rambling now! I'm excited...

All and any help/input/guidence will be greatly appreciated!

Just returned from my 50th Cruise.   Taxi from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami will cost $75+tip each way.   I recommend staying in Miami.  Plenty to see and do in Miami.

Flying in to MIA, I stay at the Staybridge Suites Hotel.  It’s mid priced.   I paid $99 per night (includes full buffet breakfast), and has a free shuttle pick up to/from the airport. The hotel is one block away from Airport Station transit terminal, where Amtrak.  And, Miami Metro Mono Rail that will take you to downtown and other parts of Miami.  You can purchase an all day, or multi day transportation pass that enables you to take Miami Metro, Miami People Mover Momorail, and local bus.  Unlimited on and offs.

Consider a visit to Bayside Marketplace:   https://www.baysidemarketplace.com/ for restaurants,  souvenir shopping,  booking HOPO,  and other guided tours.   It is on the waterfront, with views of the Intercoastal  Waterway.   

Visit to South Beach.   Iconic South Beach, and Art Deco Museum walking tour: https://local.yahoo.com/info-14256843-the-official-art-deco-walking-tour-by-the-miami-design-preservation-league-miami-beach;_ylt=AwrS_AgtprBcxT0A17zBGOd_;_ylu=X3oDMTByNWU4cGh1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=art deco walking tour or just walk around on your own to view the many Art Deco archeture.   Stop at nearby Lincoln Road Mall for lunch or dinner.  Outdoor mall.   Auto Free Zone.

If you have more time, take taxi, Uber,  Lyft, or guided tour of:

Wynwood Walls:   http://www.thewynwoodwalls.com/

Viscera:  http://vizcaya.org/

Enjoy. Miami, and your cruise.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Thanks 1

I suggest you take a look at Kingofcolols suggestions regarding transportation.  Driving in the Miami area is challenging.  Tons of traffic and many highways.  

What a wonderful birthday gift.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

Hi

Like you live in the UK, and we cruise on Equinox in October.  We are flying out early and staying two nights at Pelican Grand Beach at Fort Lauderdale, which is located on the beach.  Travel agent recommended this compared to Miami which we may find too busy!  we have organised a private transfer from miami airport to the hotel then plan to catch uber  from hotel to the ship.

we have to disembark ship at about 8am and flight home isnt until the evening, so booked a mid sized suv for £54 with full insurance and tank of fuel, and plan to visit the nearby Galleria huge mall for some compulsory shopping! Your wife may like this 😉

• Like 1

oleb84,

So pleased you are getting so many great suggestions and have plenty of time to review them all.

We will be reporting live from our RS on Equinox in September and will comment on the speciality restaurants then...We really hope that they don’t change too much, especially in Murano’s....As others have said, it is a wonderful venue!

• Like 2

IF this is your first time to cruising from Miami, I would suggest you stay in Miami. There are a couple of nice hotels next to Bayside market and are also very close to port of miami. Miami beach is a a few miles from there. 

It might be also interesting to stay in Miami Beach. A lot of restaurants there with some very good choices. A visit to Wynwood district is suggested.

As for transportation, I would recommend Uber or lyft. At the end of the day, it is much cheaper than renting a car. Traffic in Miami can be quite challenging.

If you have time, a visit to the Everglades national park is also something to do at least once.

As far as Equinox is concerned, Murano is the best followed by Sushi on Five. Silk harvest is being replaced by another restaurant. 

Other than that, Equinox is very relaxing and I am sure you will enjoy it. 

Happy cruise !

• Thanks 1

We stayed in Fort Lauderdale before our cruise and Miami after.  I didn't much care for Fort Lauderdale; it seemed a bit tired and tacky.

In Miami we stayed in the Hotel Beaux Arts.  Great concept of a "hotel within a hotel".  It felt more like a boutique hotel but had all the facilities of a bigger hotel.  It is right next door to a Whole Foods store which we loved.

• Like 1

We cruised the Equinox the last two summers. We stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites Miami/Brickell Downtown both times. It was great the first time (pool, nice breakfast, coffee and water always available in the lobby, one drink for the night at the bar on a token, close to grocery stores and pharmacies for last minute things, and lots of restaurants in the neighborhood, very close to the Miami Metromover which can take you around downtown and to the public train as well. Both times we took the metromover to Bayside. The first time my Dad was so fascinated we went ALL THE WAY around even though we didn't need to so he could see what was going on. The second time there was some sort of shutdown of the whole system due to a protest/march  so we  were at the courthouse and had to take an uber back to the hotel, but it was cheap and easy to do.  We always take SAS shuttle from Fort Lauderdale Airport to Miami for our hotel drop off and the back to airport after and have never had an issue! 

• Like 1

I agree with those who recommend staying in Miami over Fort Lauderdale. We have done both, and the expense and inconvenience of staying in Fort Lauderdale is not worth it. Staying in Fort Lauderdale and leaving from POM is something we would not do again.

Also, Miami is a much more vibrant city. Traffic is bad, so go with the Uber or Lyft options while in the city.

Although to rent a car for a day or two and drive to the Everglades or the Keys were good suggestions. 

2 hours ago, trivia addict said:

I agree with those who recommend staying in Miami over Fort Lauderdale. We have done both, and the expense and inconvenience of staying in Fort Lauderdale is not worth it. Staying in Fort Lauderdale and leaving from POM is something we would not do again.

Also, Miami is a much more vibrant city. Traffic is bad, so go with the Uber or Lyft options while in the city.

Although to rent a car for a day or two and drive to the Everglades or the Keys were good suggestions. 

We are sailing from Fort Lauderdale. So in that respect do you think the journey from Miami to FL wouldn't be worth it the morning we sail? 

However we do it, the main thing we will want to get out of our stay before we sail is to say we have experienced Miami. So if we stay in FL we will have multiple travel costs and time Vs staying in Miami and one travel cost the morning we sail. 

But looking for a more laid back approach than party town.

I'm still lost!!

I’m sorry. My mistake. I did not read carefully and I thought the cruise was leaving from Miami. 

If you are leaving from Fort Lauderdale, then by all means stay at a hotel in that city. Otherwise you will be spending extra money and time on transfers.

No need to spend a night in Miami. If you want to visit Miami, rent a car for the day. It is a short drive from Fort Lauderdale. Although as mentioned, Miami traffic and parking are difficult. You can go to the ports of call boards to see if there is enough for you to do in Fort Lauderdale or if you need to visit Miami. 

Many good suggestions here on this thread. Research and you will do fine!

Just now, trivia addict said:

I’m sorry. My mistake. I did not read carefully and I thought the cruise was leaving from Miami. 

If you are leaving from Fort Lauderdale, then by all means stay at a hotel in that city. Otherwise you will be spending extra money and time on transfers.

No need to spend a night in Miami. If you want to visit Miami, rent a car for the day. It is a short drive from Fort Lauderdale. Although as mentioned, Miami traffic and parking are difficult. You can go to the ports of call boards to see if there is enough for you to do in Fort Lauderdale or if you need to visit Miami. 

How many days will you be flying into FLL before you embark FLL Cruise Port on your cruise?

If you are determined to stay in Ft.Lauderdsle, and unless you have a few days Pre or post cruise, I suggest you pass on Miami.   

Instead consider if you only have one day or two Pre or Post cruise:    Ft.  Lauderdale dinner cruise,  a visit to Bonnet House and Gardens,  Ft. Lauderdale  Beach,  Galleria Shopping Mall.   Water Taxi on the Intercoastal Waterway,  hop off at Hollywood Beach/town.  

1 hour ago, trivia addict said:

Do not rent a car to do a day trip from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami.  

I just returned from a Caribbean cruise from Miami.   Traffic is a nightmare, with lots of construction, and it is expensive to park.  IMO,  you will spending lots time just finding your way around Miami.  And daily car rental is expensive.  👎😱

Just find things to do in Ft. Lauderdale.   Save Miami for a cruise out of Miami.

Good luck, and enjoy Ft. Lauderdale.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

On 4/11/2019 at 3:19 PM, oleb84 said:

So I've just booked a 12nt sailing from Fort Lauderdale on the Equinox as a surprise for my wife's 40th birthday. Not until Feb 2021 unfortunately but at least that means I've got plenty of time to ensure we both have the best time ever!  What a wonderful gift!  I also agree with others, that if your wife likes to participate in the planning process, give her the chance.

As background, we have sailed out of Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) over 20 times.   Have stayed at the Embassy Suites most of those cruises.  Our last two cruises left from Miami.  The first we flew into FLL and stayed in Fort Lauderdale and took SAS Shuttle to POM in the morning to avoid staying in Miami.  Last year the Boat Show was in Fort Lauderdale and the hotel prices were insane, so I decided to stay in Miami, even though I would have preferred not to.  Seeing as you believe Miami would be your choice to spend precruise time, I'll offer the following:

On 4/11/2019 at 3:19 PM, oleb84 said:

My question(s) is fairly simple; is there anything I REALLY need to do for this once in a lifetime experience? NO, it is not like being in NY and not going to the Empire State Building, or being near the Grand Canyon and not going to the Grand Canyon.  Any specific hotel/area in Miami? I would check TripAdvisor.  It was very helpful.  Do I rent a car or rely on taxis? Absolutely not. Shuttles and Uber/Lyft is the way to go.  In addition to paying the daily rate for the rental, you will be paying over $30 a night to park it.  I like a few beers, the Mrs doesn't but she also doesn't drive. How do we spend our time in Miami? 

We ended up staying in a little hotel a block off the beach in Miami Beach in the Lincoln Road area.  There are tons of restaurants and shops.  There is also a FREE hop-on/hop-off shuttle service which has different routes which cover the entire Miami Beach area.  There is an app to download that shows you where the shuttles and pickup/drop off stops are located.  You can take the shuttle down to the art deco district to walk around and also down to the park to watch the ships leaving POM.  I was pleasantly surprised by the whole vibe of the area, although sometimes a bit bizarre.  Since February's high/low temperature is 74° / 66°, I don't expect there will be any swimming time, but it should be nice to walk up on the beach.  Another source I liked was searching with Google maps. You get down to street level and can see the stores.  I knew there was a liquor store the next block over to pick up wine for the ship and some beer we took up to the rooftop pool one night.  There were drugs stores to purchase sunscreen and toiletries.  Many sandwich shops.  It ended up being much more fun than anticipated.

In the event you go with staying in FLL (I still love it), look over at the Los Olas area.  

I wish you both happy planning, and expect you will change your mind as many times are there are months between now and then.  Best of Luck!

So sorry that I, too, missed that you will be sailing out of FLL.

For us, we simply stayed in FLL and didn't even attempt to go to Miami.  There are actually a lots of things to do and our hotel was right on the beach, a smaller one between some tall condos.  It included parking for our van so that was a plus as parking is difficult unless you're in a large hotel with a parking garage (and then they still charge a lot).

Ft. Lauderdale has a different vibe than Miami, but we enjoyed it a lot.  We spent time on the beach, time in the hotel pool, wandered down the beach to people watch, all of us got pedicures (there were eight of us, men and women), we had dinner and a tiki show at Mai-Kai (a recommendation from CC and we were so glad we went!), and the group of us split up for brunch (they guys wanted to sleep in, the gals not so much), made the drive to the FLL airport to get a couple of folks whose flights had been delayed, and then the even larger group ate at a wonderful Asian fusion restaurant which had this amazing sake that I've never been able to find again.

It's fun just wandering around looking at the yachts, but I'm sure there are tours that you could take as well.

24 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

So sorry that I, too, missed that you will be sailing out of FLL.

For us, we simply stayed in FLL and didn't even attempt to go to Miami.  There are actually a lots of things to do and our hotel was right on the beach, a smaller one between some tall condos.  It included parking for our van so that was a plus as parking is difficult unless you're in a large hotel with a parking garage (and then they still charge a lot).

Ft. Lauderdale has a different vibe than Miami, but we enjoyed it a lot.  We spent time on the beach, time in the hotel pool, wandered down the beach to people watch, all of us got pedicures (there were eight of us, men and women), we had dinner and a tiki show at Mai-Kai (a recommendation from CC and we were so glad we went!), and the group of us split up for brunch (they guys wanted to sleep in, the gals not so much), made the drive to the FLL airport to get a couple of folks whose flights had been delayed, and then the even larger group ate at a wonderful Asian fusion restaurant which had this amazing sake that I've never been able to find again.

It's fun just wandering around looking at the yachts, but I'm sure there are tours that you could take as well.

Just a quick question, what hotel did you stay in in Ft. Lauderdale that included parking? We're driving to Ft. Lauderdale and interested in additional options.

45 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Just a quick question, what hotel did you stay in in Ft. Lauderdale that included parking? We're driving to Ft. Lauderdale and interested in additional options.

Sun Tower Hotel & Suites

I'd definitely recommend it.  It's not a large hotel so the service was very personal.  We prefer smaller, off beat hotels to impersonal chains.

The parking is included, and they have spots reserved, but there can be shuffling of cars around.  They handled it for us.  We just left our keys with them and they did what they needed to.  It's a little different than most hotels as the corridors are open to the sea breeze, but it really wasn't a problem.  And we were there in early June.  Our balcony looked out to the ocean (they all might do that) and it was an incredible place to watch the sunrise.

22 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Sun Tower Hotel & Suites

I'd definitely recommend it.  It's not a large hotel so the service was very personal.  We prefer smaller, off beat hotels to impersonal chains.

The parking is included, and they have spots reserved, but there can be shuffling of cars around.  They handled it for us.  We just left our keys with them and they did what they needed to.  It's a little different than most hotels as the corridors are open to the sea breeze, but it really wasn't a problem.  And we were there in early June.  Our balcony looked out to the ocean (they all might do that) and it was an incredible place to watch the sunrise.

Thanks for the info.  We'll check it out.  Love options!

I think we will be on the same cruise with you. As I am typing this from Miami (we just got off a cruise from Miami) and have done several out of Ft Lauderdale, I prefer the Ft Lauderdale area. Miami is nice for a change but I prefer FLL. We took Lyft everywhere in Miami and the traffic is horrific and the airport is a zoo. 

Since you are leaving from Ft Lauderdale, I would stay there. In Ft Lauderdale there is a water taxi that you can spend a whole relaxing day on and look at all the pricey homes, you can go down to the new Margaritaville Hotel and that area is fun to walk around, you can stop at bars etc. A lot to see and do and it is a hop on hop off type of boat. So fun!!  https://watertaxi.com/store/?utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKCAjwqfDlBRBDEiwAigXUaLTrQ9jaRmg499kIcvF5RP8ObyUkuePKu-vIbE4NU7Y9fxJXjbB_2BoCgJQQAvD_BwE  We usually stay at the Westin https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/flllw-the-westin-fort-lauderdale-beach-resort/ which is right across the street from the beach and there is a lovely wide sidewalk that you can walk along the beach and view the ocean without the sand, for a long way. You can also walk along the beach too. You could easy spend 2 days there. I highly recommend it. This is what we will be doing for sure. 

5 hours ago, Choozin Croozin said:

I think we will be on the same cruise with you. As I am typing this from Miami (we just got off a cruise from Miami) and have done several out of Ft Lauderdale, I prefer the Ft Lauderdale area. Miami is nice for a change but I prefer FLL. We took Lyft everywhere in Miami and the traffic is horrific and the airport is a zoo. 

Since you are leaving from Ft Lauderdale, I would stay there. In Ft Lauderdale there is a water taxi that you can spend a whole relaxing day on and look at all the pricey homes, you can go down to the new Margaritaville Hotel and that area is fun to walk around, you can stop at bars etc. A lot to see and do and it is a hop on hop off type of boat. So fun!!  https://watertaxi.com/store/?utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKCAjwqfDlBRBDEiwAigXUaLTrQ9jaRmg499kIcvF5RP8ObyUkuePKu-vIbE4NU7Y9fxJXjbB_2BoCgJQQAvD_BwE  We usually stay at the Westin https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/flllw-the-westin-fort-lauderdale-beach-resort/ which is right across the street from the beach and there is a lovely wide sidewalk that you can walk along the beach and view the ocean without the sand, for a long way. You can also walk along the beach too. You could easy spend 2 days there. I highly recommend it. This is what we will be doing for sure. 

Wow! Amazed to see someone else planning so far in advance as well!

Thanks for all of the information and suggestions everyone, I really appreciate it! 

One more question, if we end up staying in FL, if there a different option other than taxi to spend the day in Miami? I know it may sound strange to the Americans reding this but I can't be in Florida for the first time ever (and possibly only time) without saying "I've been to Miami".

You will be able to book day tours from your hotel. Usually minibus sized and with a range of itineraries. This is probably the easiest way for you to see as much as possible and get an overview of Miami. 

If you simply search ‘visiting Miami from Fort Lauderdale’ a range of options will come up. If you don’t see exactly what you want email providers. Alternatively, email the concierge at the hotel you plan on staying in and ask their advice.

Miami does have a hoho bus which may suit you better than a full tour, so all you would need to know is the easiest way to join the ‘loop’.  Taxi in this case may be favourite.

It seems to me that Miami is a key element of your holiday choice, in which case you may simply be better staying there.....Where are you actually flying into Fort Lauderdale or Miami? I know you are cruising from Fort Lauderdale....If you are flying into Miami simply book a central hotel and then it is just one taxi/transfer to Fort Lauderdale on the morning of your cruise...