Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Bahbert

Need ideas for surprising teens on cruise

Recommended Posts

My wife and I are taking our 18-year-old daughter and a friend on a cruise as a graduation present next month. I wanted to make sure she was happy with her gift so the cruise itself is not a surprise, nor are the excursions we'll be taking. However, I'd still like to surprise her in little ways whenever possible, so I'm turning to you creative folk for ideas.

 

I have purchased etched tumblers for both girls that I will give them when we board. Aside from that and possible cabin decorations/gifts, does anyone have ideas for ways to add a little extra something to their experience?

 

(We'll be on the Fantasy - which doesn't have a steakhouse - so surprising them with that is not an option). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-You could book them a spa treatment (if that's the kind of thing they are into)

-Get them a gift card to get mani/pedi's the day before you board

 

Well, I thought I was going to have a ton of ideas, but that's all I can think of other than getting decorations/gifts for the room. If I think of anything else, I will come back 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bahbert said:

My wife and I are taking our 18-year-old daughter and a friend on a cruise as a graduation present next month. I wanted to make sure she was happy with her gift so the cruise itself is not a surprise, nor are the excursions we'll be taking. However, I'd still like to surprise her in little ways whenever possible, so I'm turning to you creative folk for ideas.

 

I have purchased etched tumblers for both girls that I will give them when we board. Aside from that and possible cabin decorations/gifts, does anyone have ideas for ways to add a little extra something to their experience?

 

(We'll be on the Fantasy - which doesn't have a steakhouse - so surprising them with that is not an option). 

How about putting money on her sail and sign account for her to spend as she wishes. Let them explore the ship on their own, giving a little freedom but, not before laying the safety rules out for them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would they like to get nails/hair done before formal nights? Or gift card to get nails done before you leave?

 

Wander around shops in ports and go back and get something she had her eye on. 

 

New sunglasses?

 

tshirts announcing its her graduation cruise if you think she’d like a bit of extra attention- I always say happy birthday or congrats to anyone wearing a special occasion shirt. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually make a "cruise kit" for friends that we cruise with. Here is a list of things I put in a gift bag.

 

chapstick

gum

Mardi Gras beads

deck of cards

dice (for liars dice)

power cord

candy

used to do a highlighter but now its the hub app.

advil

sunblock

towel clips

 

Just did this for friends last week and they LOVED it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contact John Heald on Facebook and let him know what is going on.

We took our 20+ yr old daughter with us on her first cruise in Feb, and he had a plate of chocolate covered strawberries sent to the room for her. She really enjoyed it and thought it was nice that they would do something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The spa/mani/pedi is a cute idea. Are the girls in their own cabin? If not and you can afford that splurge, that might be a really fun surprise (or maybe a cabin upgrade if you're all sharing a cabin). Not sure what kind of excursions you have have planned, but maybe there's some sort of "add on" to one that could be a surprise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to think like an 18 year old (a long time ago for me), the most appealing thing to me would be the ability to legally drink at the port(s) you are visiting, depending where you are going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have something small delivered by the fun shops each day. You can set this up from your carnival account. Cookies, candy, a beach towel, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great ideas so far! Keep 'em coming!

 

2 hours ago, lab_love123 said:

The spa/mani/pedi is a cute idea. Are the girls in their own cabin? If not and you can afford that splurge, that might be a really fun surprise (or maybe a cabin upgrade if you're all sharing a cabin). Not sure what kind of excursions you have have planned, but maybe there's some sort of "add on" to one that could be a surprise?

 They already have their own cabin; that was as much for my wife and I as for them. 🙂

 

1 hour ago, Athankfulheart said:

Have something small delivered by the fun shops each day. You can set this up from your carnival account. Cookies, candy, a beach towel, etc...

Ooh, I like this idea. 

 

12 hours ago, louanne93 said:

I usually make a "cruise kit" for friends that we cruise with. Here is a list of things I put in a gift bag.

 

chapstick

gum

Mardi Gras beads

deck of cards

dice (for liars dice)

power cord

candy

used to do a highlighter but now its the hub app.

advil

sunblock

towel clips

 

Just did this for friends last week and they LOVED it!

 

Wonderful! I can make the tumblers we have part of this "kit."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not for during the cruise but afterward make them a photo book or have them collaborate together on it and have it printed for them.  They will treasure that a long time after the cruise.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IF you are flying, upgrade them to first class.  Get them FFTF.  That makes the cruise feel special because it seems like they are getting special treatment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We're also pretty set on taking our son and a friend on a graduation cruise next summer (eyeballing both Galveston and NOLA departures in August 2020).  And side note, still in denial my little 5 lb 14 oz baby is graduating high school next year as a 6' 2" man...noooooooooo!  👶👨‍🎓😭

 

These are some fun recommendations, I especially like the idea of giving the boys the goodie bags!   Also planned on room decor, a little money on their sail cards, casino play, specialty restaurant one night, a "legal" beer in Mexico, etc.  

 

I do wish that CCL had a mid level drink package like RCCL has.  Like they have one that includes non alcoholic drinks, soda, specialty coffee, etc.  CCL is just soda or booze.  I'd like to get them that, as well...but doesn't look like that's going to happen.  

 

 

 

 

Edited by sredish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, sredish said:

We're also pretty set on taking our son and a friend on a graduation cruise next summer (eyeballing both Galveston and NOLA departures in August 2020).  And side note, still in denial my little 5 lb 14 oz baby is graduating high school next year as a 6' 2" man...noooooooooo!  👶👨‍🎓😭

 

These are some fun recommendations, I especially like the idea of giving the boys the goodie bags!   Also planned on room decor, a little money on their sail cards, casino play, specialty restaurant one night, a "legal" beer in Mexico, etc.  

 

I do wish that CCL had a mid level drink package like RCCL has.  Like they have one that includes non alcoholic drinks, soda, specialty coffee, etc.  CCL is just soda or booze.  I'd like to get them that, as well...but doesn't look like that's going to happen.  

 

 

 

 

Beer and wine are legal for 18-20 year olds in  international waters, if parent or guardian signs a waiver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SandiLynn said:

Beer and wine are legal for 18-20 year olds in  international waters, if parent or guardian signs a waiver.

 

As in ON the ship??  I had no idea!  Well that changes things.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes but only after reaching the International Waters. From NOLA that's about 7 hours after leaving port. Should be much shorter time for other  ports. 

Edited by SandiLynn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, sredish said:

 

As in ON the ship??  I had no idea!  Well that changes things.    

I know this to be true on NCL, but wasn’t aware that Carnival did this. My granddaughter wanted us to sign for her on our NCL Getaway Cruise, as she is 20 and was in a cabin with her BF (24). They wouldn’t allow us to, only a parent, who did not sail that cruise with us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I know this to be true on NCL, but wasn’t aware that Carnival did this. My granddaughter wanted us to sign for her on our NCL Getaway Cruise, as she is 20 and was in a cabin with her BF (24). They wouldn’t allow us to, only a parent, who did not sail that cruise with us. 

Yes, same on Carnival. I know this because I teach high school seniors that would rather cruise with parents for graduation trip than the "Graduation Group Cruise". I am sure not the only reason, but they talk about the waiver all the time.

Edited by SandiLynn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SandiLynn said:

Beer and wine are legal for 18-20 year olds in  international waters, if parent or guardian signs a waiver.

Respectfully, this is not true of Carnival. Please see below for their alcohol policy directly from their website.

 

Screenshot_2019-04-12-17-42-09.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tell them their phones will have to be turned off and in the safe for the duration of the cruise! That would be a surprise 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, emoorehead said:

Respectfully, this is not true of Carnival. Please see below for their alcohol policy directly from their website.

 

Screenshot_2019-04-12-17-42-09.png

Thank you for the new policy. It changed sometime in or after 2017. I know there are going to be some very disappointed graduates next month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Photos!!!! Pay for a photo package so they will have memories of the cruise. My daughter and her friend must have taken 50 pictures on board not even counting the pictures in port. Selfies are great but nice professional pictures can't be beat especially on elegant nights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...