Jump to content

Just asked by Royal to downgrade


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Big_G said:

 

We really don't know the circumstances. Maybe they overbooked that cabin? I'd willing to listen to an offer. TravlerThom's suggestion might get me to downgrade. Give me the gold card and a refund of the difference and I might bite. The OP's offer wasn't bad either. It just wasn't enough for them.

 

Thats a logical suggestion that they may have overbooked the cabin, especially since they’re IT system isn’t the greatest as most of us know.  Otherwise I can’t see the logic other than the OP paid way less for the cabin than what they could get now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

So does this mean I can call royal and tell them I want a specific room and when they say it’s already booked, I can throw a tantrum until they convince the occupants to change rooms? I don’t understand this at all. I didn’t think royal cares enough about the average cruiser. Why don’t they just tell the other person too bad it’s already booked? What’s in it for royal?

 

Cal Royal and tell them you'll pay double the going rate for the room you want. I'll bet you get the room, no temper tantrum needed. They'll keep making offers till someone can't refuse. 

 

Otherwise, maybe the person who has that room the week before or after decided to do a B2B and is willing to pay for it. Maybe someone made a maximum Royal UP offer on a GS and they are trying to find a way to fill that bid. I promise you theres a financial reason they are making these calls. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kteacher said:

Apologies for not being on CC every moment of the day to read every post/thread.  The offer was 100 obc for each of us (2), and half off our cruise fare. We’ve been cruising for a very long time, and this was the first time we’ve ever received anything like this from Royal.

 

 

I would have told them no too. Increase that OBC to 500.00 a piece refundable and 50% off my cruise fare and I MIGHT consider downgrading 😉    No way they would agree to that

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Big_G said:

 

We really don't know the circumstances. Maybe they overbooked that cabin? I'd willing to listen to an offer. TravlerThom's suggestion might get me to downgrade. Give me the gold card and a refund of the difference and I might bite. The OP's offer wasn't bad either. It just wasn't enough for them.

Just explain to me "how" a particular cabin might be "overbooked"...Once a deposit is made (or full payment) that cabin isn't shown on inventory as available....how could a booking even go through the computer to generate a booking number and confirmation at this point.???

 

Also they could easily see who booked it first...This all just makes no sense !!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Just explain to me "how" a particular cabin might be "overbooked"...Once a deposit is made (or full payment) that cabin isn't shown on inventory as available....how could a booking even go through the computer to generate a booking number and confirmation at this point.???

 

Also they could easily see who booked it first...This all just makes no sense !!

 

Not  a particular stateroom, but one that can be used for guarantees that are oversold.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kteacher said:

Apologies for not being on CC every moment of the day to read every post/thread.  The offer was 100 obc for each of us (2), and half off our cruise fare. We’ve been cruising for a very long time, and this was the first time we’ve ever received anything like this from Royal.

 

I'm not sure you would even break even on an offer like that! Grand Suites cost a LOT more than Junior Suites!

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, fsjosh said:

Long thread of similar posts here:

 

 

 

 

20 hours ago, Kteacher said:

We were just asked by Royal to downgrade from our aft GS on Brilliance to a JS. The reason that was given was that they are in need of GS on this sailing. First time this has ever happened to us. We booked this cruise specifically for this cabin, so we declined the downgrade 🙄🙄

 

JUST A GUESS ....

 

Royal contacting booked customers to move or change cabins is not a common occurrence.

 

Since there have been 2 recent similar (but not identical) posts regarding Royal requesting cabin changes, it may have to do with them trying to accommodate some people, maybe some with special circumstances, who were displaced by the April OASIS cancellations.

 

Just speculating.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I guess I have no clout. Sometimes I ask for a specific cabin, B2B or otherwise, and apparently it was booked. NEVER been told the cruise line will call the occupants and try to get us the cabin.  

 

M

 

Call and offer to pay double for the cabin. Your clout level will increase greatly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same thing happen to me. I booked the Jr Aft Suite on Jewel for this past February. I was called a few days before the sailing and was offered an OV. I had recently been bumped from ships twice by Royal so when I had the opportunity to book this cruise and cabin, I was thrilled. They offered me a complete refund of my cruise fare and I'd get to keep my double points. Sorry, not for an OV. The cabin they offered was smaller and with 3 of us, all women, it would have been too tight. It was tempting but I said no. I said I'd do it for a balcony, but none were available. Yes, I know, I'm crazy....but for me, it was worth it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AdGuyMG said:

 

 

 

JUST A GUESS ....

 

Royal contacting booked customers to move or change cabins is not a common occurrence.

 

Since there have been 2 recent similar (but not identical) posts regarding Royal requesting cabin changes, it may have to do with them trying to accommodate some people, maybe some with special circumstances, who were displaced by the April OASIS cancellations.

 

Just speculating.

 

That seems like a reasonable speculation given the timing of these reports.  Perhaps agents or cruisers who have pull or special circumstances or something are motivating Royal to make some phone calls on behalf of some of these displaced cruisers.  If it works, great.  If it doesn’t, at least they can honestly say they did try.

Edited by Starry Eyes
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2019 at 6:09 PM, heatherb1958 said:

Could be someone on a B2B who didn’t want to move , happens or oversold GS GTYs , happens . 

Didn’t they offer you a sweetener ? OBC ? .

Looks like one of our cruises is full but we are not likely to get a phone call as we have an inside cabin , 😆.

They have some nerve asking a passenger to downgrade. Doesn’t matter the reason. 😡

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just my 2 cents but I would wait until they gave me my offer and then I would politely say.....if I change ships/dates I am charged $100 per person so let’s start there....what was that offer again?

I do have flexibility with my dates so I would have no issue changing to a different date but I would not take a downgraded room. I would take whatever money they offered and put it towards a better suite. 

When it happened to me with NCL we were in a 2BR suite with 5 people so moving next to the restaurant for 40 bucks per person ($200 obc offered) on a 12 day sailing was just a joke. From what I can see Royal gives way better offers and I would definitely consider taking them up on it,

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, celebrity said:

They have some nerve asking a passenger to downgrade. Doesn’t matter the reason. 😡

 

I agree, like I said it happens. We were on a Brilliance TA when RCI oversold Balcony GTYs , so many of my cruising friends got phone calls asking them to give up their balcony and move to insides, some did some didn’t . The ones who gave up their balconies got a good deal and more or less cruised for free with another free cruise . I would be able to post a link to the discussion if it was the old CC format but alas with this new format have no idea where to start, it was September 2012.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, celebrity said:

They have some nerve asking a passenger to downgrade. Doesn’t matter the reason. 😡

 

Why is there any harm on asking?  If you don’t like the offer then say no and move on.  It cost you less than a minute of your time.

 

There  are many who appreciate the calls and would take the offer including myself who ended up getting a free cruise because Royal overbooked and wanted my 2 cabins.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, celebrity said:

They have some nerve asking a passenger to downgrade. Doesn’t matter the reason. 😡

Evidently some people get upset much more easily than others.  I would not be offended by such a phone call, so long as compensation was attached to the request to downgrade.  If I was not interested, I’d decline quickly and hang up.  No big deal.  The compensation offered in these specific cases in this thread was not generous enough to move these specific cruisers from their selected cabins, but others might bite or negotiate.  It’s personal choice.  Imagine somebody who has suffered a financial setback since booking their cruise months ago; that cruiser might have done a happy dance had they gotten the same downgrade offer.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 3:01 AM, momofmab said:

I might consider that offer if they threw in suite benefits too.  That's a huge downgrade when you consider that you're losing the suite benefits.

Don't worry I would be in the Suite Lounge nightly. Least they could do if no Suite  Benefits is offer every adult the Ultimate Beverage Package and kids the Refreshment Package and perhaps Gratuities. 

Edited by travelplus
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

 

Why is there any harm on asking?  If you don’t like the offer then say no and move on.  It cost you less than a minute of your time.

 

There  are many who appreciate the calls and would take the offer including myself who ended up getting a free cruise because Royal overbooked and wanted my 2 cabins.  

If a do not upgrade is noted in your account will they not even waste time with a call?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ashland said:

If a do not upgrade is noted in your account will they not even waste time with a call?

 

If they want your cabin they will call.  Upgrades and downgrades are 2 different things and totally unrelated.

 

Our  upgrade preference was set to do not upgrade as we get 2 cabins and don’t want to run the risk of being separated yet we still got a call.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 5:32 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

So does this mean I can call royal and tell them I want a specific room and when they say it’s already booked, I can throw a tantrum until they convince the occupants to change rooms? I don’t understand this at all. I didn’t think royal cares enough about the average cruiser. Why don’t they just tell the other person too bad it’s already booked? What’s in it for royal?

 

Well that was my opinion on the other thread, but apparently I’m wrong in the eyes of others who feel more entitled.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...