Avalon disappointing

Swannee50

Yes that was a major issue last year the difficulty getting accurate and timely info about the cruises going ahead.

There are many threads on here about the struggle to get info.

People on here were very helpful as were those on board relating what was actually happening.

Decisions were made at very late notice and changes were also happening once on board.

In fairness often decisions were made remote to staff on board. In some cases decision makers did meet with passengers on board to smooth the process.  

Nevertheless communication was a major issue for a number of reasons and many were frustrated by the process.

• Like 1

I was on a Uniworld cruise last November from Amsterdam to Basel.  We were one of the few, if not the only, riverboat that made it the whole way down the Rhine that week.  We as passengers had to remain flexible.  Beside sailing on a different ship, we had some itinerary changes and some places we took a bus to catch up with the ship that had to sail at a slower speed because of the low water levels.  Everyone seemed to take it in stride, and we were pretty much willing to do anything to avoid staying in hotels vs. on the ship.  Our young captain did a great job.  

Roz

49 minutes ago, Swannee50 said:

Exactly Ros. Truth in advertising would be a fine thing! 

This reminds me of the guy who sued Viking because he never saw the Parliament building in Budapest as shown in the commercials.

Problem was, he took a cruise on the Rhine!  Umm, suit thrown out in court.

9 hours ago, Coral said:

If you want to laugh at people laughing at themselves about their "failed river cruise" - look at this thread:

😂So good. Makes me feel much better. And just like the video, we still enjoyed the trip. I just have to let go of my feeling of being ripped off & appreciate what we did have. 

9 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

This reminds me of the guy who sued Viking because he never saw the Parliament building in Budapest as shown in the commercials.

Problem was, he took a cruise on the Rhine!  Umm, suit thrown out in court.

😂😂

20 hours ago, Swannee50 said:

Thanks, Coral. We all have similar problems. I would like to think the many companies who offer cruises, not just Avalon, would keep TAs & guests better informed. Once we had boarded our ship, a crew member let slip that they’d known for 3 months that the low water levels would mean we wouldn’t get through. I’m sure he wasn’t supposed to tell us that! 

I too am in Australia, but have been following cruise boards closely for the last twelve months, since we decided to do a cruise.

There was so much information on line, but there is no way of warning everyone, and of course the cruise companies don't want you to know.

At least you will be prepared for next time.