Do people use walkie talkies

Many cruisers consider people using them to be annoying due to noise pollution.   Coverage on ships is generally considered poor due to the structure of the ship.

If you are on a ship that is currently supported on the Celebrity App, they have a texting capability that you do not require an internet package to use.

Its a modern conundrum!  We are all so used to being able to contact one another, find one another etc completely instantly.  Walkie Talkies actually don't work very well - particularly inside the ship.  There is an RF loop - but it is for ship staff and if you get onto that I expect they would take you off it fairly quickly.  The Celebrity App allows texting - but is a bit hit and miss especially at sea.  Before I gave in and just got internet for everybody (and in fact that isn;t perfect either!) we opted for some old style tricks that I actually really liked...

We leave notes in the cabin - so if you were not going to be where you had planned you just drop by and leave a note.  We had touchbase points - so a  set time a set location - even if we just found one another, said hi and moved on.  If you are in a  suite you can use your butler to pass messages -although personally I felt that was slightly intrusive it did really help keep track of DM.  If you are in more than one room leave notes on the doors.  It actually quite fun to remember that there was a time before mobile phones! (Even if our kids don't believe it..)

3 hours ago, GastroGnome said:

Its a modern conundrum!  We are all so used to being able to contact one another, find one another etc completely instantly.  Walkie Talkies actually don't work very well - particularly inside the ship.  There is an RF loop - but it is for ship staff and if you get onto that I expect they would take you off it fairly quickly.  The Celebrity App allows texting - but is a bit hit and miss especially at sea.  Before I gave in and just got internet for everybody (and in fact that isn;t perfect either!) we opted for some old style tricks that I actually really liked...

We leave notes in the cabin - so if you were not going to be where you had planned you just drop by and leave a note.  We had touchbase points - so a  set time a set location - even if we just found one another, said hi and moved on.  If you are in a  suite you can use your butler to pass messages -although personally I felt that was slightly intrusive it did really help keep track of DM.  If you are in more than one room leave notes on the doors.  It actually quite fun to remember that there was a time before mobile phones! (Even if our kids don't believe it..)

Thanks for the tips. We are only 2 people so it shouldn't be to difficult. We will leave the walkie talkies at home.

12 hours ago, FmlyCrsr said:

Hi, I was wondering what your views are on walkie talkies to reach other people from your party.

We used them with our children when they were little. 

Reception can be spotty depending on location

On our first cruise, several families brought walkie talkies.  3 families were on the same channel for some reason.    It was interesting to listen  as the families were from different areas with unique dialects and were answering each other.  It was  annoying to them and also  to fellow passengers, especially in elevators.  Service was spotty.  

1 hour ago, keesar said:

On our first cruise, several families brought walkie talkies.  3 families were on the same channel for some reason.    It was interesting to listen  as the families were from different areas with unique dialects and were answering each other.  It was  annoying to them and also  to fellow passengers, especially in elevators.  Service was spotty.  

In addition to channels, there are security codes even on my decades old pairs. They must be using very primitive walkie talkies. There are also different ranges. Some band would require a license (one time fee for 10 years) when using within US but not on the sea. I agree that if you have a basic pair with 2-mile range, you should keep them at home.

10 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

The OP has twice posted that they will leave the walkie talkies at home.  No real need to prolong this thread (which isn't even Celebrity related).

Oh like that never happens here on CC. :classic_rolleyes: If it bugs you so much then request the mods move it or don't click on it.  

Edited by davekathy
7 minutes ago, bookitdanno said:

What mods would that be???

Haven't noticed a moderator since Andy left.

They are here, just stealthy. That's why you need to use the "report post" option. 

Edited by davekathy

I find cell phone use on the ship just as annoying these days.  Especially people who seem to only be able to use speakerphone option at full volume.   Was in Michaels Club with someone doing facetime to their grand kids for 10 minutes on speaker.

Walkie talkies have that annoying chirp, though.  Then of course the person yells at top volume when responding.  This is why they're loathed much more than inconsiderate cell users.  Many people do not even use the voice function on their phones these days.

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

I find cell phone use on the ship just as annoying these days.  Especially people who seem to only be able to use speakerphone option at full volume.   Was in Michaels Club with someone doing facetime to their grand kids for 10 minutes on speaker.

We had someone doing that every day in Cellar Masters, which would otherwise be a great place to sit and read in the late morning.  “Hi Sweetie!  Show Grammy your smile!  You can smile, Sweetie, I know you can!  Come on, Grammy wants to see that smile!”  I got very tired of Sweetie and Grammy for 15 minutes every sea day.  I stayed because I knew that eventually they would finish,, and I didn’t want to give up my nice spot for reading over 15 minutes of annoyance.  I don’t know why people can’t make those calls in their cabins, though.

Edited by lisiamc
20 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

We had someone doing that every day in Cellar Masters, which would otherwise be a great place to sit and read in the late morning.  “Hi Sweetie!  Show Grammy your smile!  You can smile, Sweetie, I know you can!  Come on, Grammy wants to see that smile!”  I got very tired of Sweetie and Grammy for 15 minutes every sea day.  I stayed because I knew that eventually they would finish,, and I didn’t want to give up my nice spot for reading over 15 minutes of annoyance.  I don’t know why people can’t make those calls in their cabins, though.

Because they are special and think the rest of us being bothered thinks it's so cute. 🤬