Could I get a couple of questions answered form NCL experts please?

misha1

Hello everyone...just a couple of weeks until I embark on Bliss out of LA.  It is 1030 pm my time, alarm is set for 6 am, and I cannot seem to settle my brain into slumber so I thought I would jump on CC and ask a couple of questions I have been mulling about...so here goes

1.  Past cruisers talk about the Waterfront space.  Deck photos show outdoor seating for some of the restaurants.  Is there like lounge seating out there and what deck is that on?

2  Speaking of lounge seating, what is the big discussion about feet on the Observation loungers?  Isn't that why they are called loungers?  I am guessing my sandled feet are cleaner than my hands.  How is one to relax if you cannot put your feet up?  Is this the case with the loungers by the pools or other outdoor decks?

3.  Where exactly can one book the shows and other entertainment venues that cannot be done on line?  (Not counting the kiosks by the elevators mentioned)   Additionally, I read you can only book one show at a time.  What does that mean?  If I am in line and book Prohibition, Do I have to go to the back of the line to book adult comedy?  (am not interested in Vibe passes FYI)

4.  What dock does NCL use in San Fran, and if I were to have someone to pick me up outside the dock, is there street parking?

5.  I understand the buffet is forward, I assume there is outdoor seating? 

6.  Of the 3 MDR choices, which is considered the more upscale?

Well, I think those were the thoughts going through my head tonight, besides my outfit and shoe selections, and which jewelry to bring, and whether I should purchase a travel W/C for DH (we rented a scooter for the ship), and trying to figure out which travel service to use to get to our local airport at 4 am (don't really want to use local taxi as that is just after bar closing...if you know what I mean). 

Sheesh, does anyone else get this hyper before they travel?  I guess I am being a little Type A tonight.  Thanks in advance, Julie

Edited by misha1

I’m on the Bliss now. Deck 8 is the Waterfront and it’s on both port and starboard side of the ship. There are outside bars, specialty dining seating and lots of regular seating for sitting. You can put your feet up on the longers by the windows in the

observation area. There is outdoor seating for the buffet. The Manhattan is supposed to be more upscale but from I see none of the three are nor is any dress code enforced. We have eaten in the Manhattan every night. You can book some entertainment from your stateroom tv as it’s interactive.

Edited by tallnthensome

1 hour ago, misha1 said:

Hello everyone...just a couple of weeks until I embark on Bliss out of LA.  It is 1030 pm my time, alarm is set for 6 am, and I cannot seem to settle my brain into slumber so I thought I would jump on CC and ask a couple of questions I have been mulling about...so here goes

1.  Past cruisers talk about the Waterfront space.  Deck photos show outdoor seating for some of the restaurants.  Is there like lounge seating out there and what deck is that on?

2  Speaking of lounge seating, what is the big discussion about feet on the Observation loungers?  Isn't that why they are called loungers?  I am guessing my sandled feet are cleaner than my hands.  How is one to relax if you cannot put your feet up?  Is this the case with the loungers by the pools or other outdoor decks?

3.  Where exactly can one book the shows and other entertainment venues that cannot be done on line?  (Not counting the kiosks by the elevators mentioned)   Additionally, I read you can only book one show at a time.  What does that mean?  If I am in line and book Prohibition, Do I have to go to the back of the line to book adult comedy?  (am not interested in Vibe passes FYI)

4.  What dock does NCL use in San Fran, and if I were to have someone to pick me up outside the dock, is there street parking?

Well, I think those were the thoughts going through my head tonight, besides my outfit and shoe selections, and which jewelry to bring, and whether I should purchase a travel W/C for DH (we rented a scooter for the ship), and trying to figure out which travel service to use to get to our local airport at 4 am (don't really want to use local taxi as that is just after bar closing...if you know what I mean). 

Sheesh, does anyone else get this hyper before they travel?  I guess I am being a little Type A tonight.  Thanks in advance, Julie

I have been on Bliss once and hope I can help. I am also going on Bliss pacific to Mexico in a couple weeks.

1) when the restaurants and bars aren’t operating, you are free to sit at the couches that are out there. This is typically in the afternoon and late night. Also, I recommend you check the very aft of the waterfront deck and see the glass-bottom floor to which you can look down over the ship and ocean.

2) sandled feet are much dirtier than hands - not sure why you would think otherwise. the loungers in the obs lounge aren’t the typical kind of loungers you’re thinking of like at a pool. They are essentially couches and sofas. It’s ok to put your feet on the end of them as long as you use the blanket provided on the loungers to rest your feet on so that the loungers don’t get dirty. (I‘d recommend COVERING your feet with blankets too, so people don’t have to see them in such a classy area of the ship)

5) there is a little bit of outdoor seating, but that part of the buffet has different foods like burgers and hot dogs. You can bring your food from the main buffet to the outdoor seating, but it’s much easier if you just eat the outdoor buffet in the outdoor eating and the indoor buffet at the indoor seating. Also - the observation lounge has an excellent lunch buffet too. I personally eat there. (Now do you see why we don’t want to see feet?)

6) the manhattan room is the nicest one but it’s not as nice as the manhattan rooms on other ships, there’s no dancing and entertainment, but it’s the formal one and I like it

as for clothes... bring lots of jewels and for shoes - I recommend heels. No plastic thongs please! Its appropriate to wear heels, jewelry and a dress that falls below the knee at the formal MDRs. And making yourself up couldn’t hurt either...I know if I was a girl, my mother would always tell me “don’t leave the house without putting on lipstick first” and hopefully you live by that motto too 🙂

as for transport, call your taxi or uber service for an accessible vehicle. They won’t be affected by the after-bar crowd as they only serve people with accessibility issues. 

And yes, I am terrible with overthinking before I travel. It’s become so overwhelming I think I’m going to have to start seeking counseling for it, it almost brought me to tears of hopelessness today because there’s just so much to do. if I can’t get it under control, I’m just gonna stop travelling totally. 😞

Hope that helps. 

6 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

) sandled feet are much dirtier than hands - not sure why you would think otherwise. the loungers in the obs lounge aren’t the typical kind of loungers you’re thinking of like at a pool. They are essentially couches and sofas. It’s ok to put your feet on the end of them as long as you use the blanket provided on the loungers to rest your feet on so that the loungers don’t get dirty. (I‘d recommend COVERING your feet with blankets too, so people don’t have to see them in such a classy area of the ship)

I misspoke...of course shoes are dirty, but if my tootsies have been in shoes/sandals, and I kick them off for lounging, I would thing they are the cleaner of the digit-ed extremities.  Can anyone address the who, what whys of of where to go to book shows and can I book 3 or 4 of them at one time (with a live person, not TV or Kiosk).  Thank you all for your information.  It was very helpful.  Julie

7 hours ago, misha1 said:

I pulled out the paper we were given as we were embarking (back in January, in Miami).

Under the heading "RESERVE YOUR SHOW TICKETS" is states:

"For information regarding our shows this week including Jersey Boys, Havana, Happy Hour Prohibition:The Musical and Levity Entertainment Group, stop by Social, Deck 6 midship today between 11:00am-2:30pm & at the Box Office on Deck 7 Fwd between 4:00pm-5:30pm."

It is quite likely, yours will be the same or similar!  And, yes, there is outdoor seating for the buffet!

9 hours ago, misha1 said:

Check your dailies.

On some ships, the Manhattan Room is "cruise casual" just like the other MDRs. Shorts may or may not be allowed depending on what is stated in the dailies. 

7 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

I have been on Bliss once and hope I can help. I am also going on Bliss pacific to Mexico in a couple weeks.

I think you meant in one week's time.

The Bliss repositions to Alaska cruises from Los Angeles in 2 weeks' time so the last Mexico cruise is next week.

We are on the Pacific Coastal on April 28th - can't wait. Will see the OP on Bliss.

I don't wear dresses, but wear nice capris/slacks with nice top. I don't wear heels either (ships are big = lots of walking) but I wear nice flat shoes and very fancy jeweled thongs (Grandco sandals) … the CD on last cruise complimented about the sandals and I have several pairs.

10 hours ago, misha1 said:

yes. There are sofas and comfy easy chairs on the Waterfront. Restaurant tables can be used during the day if you want somewhere to work or play games. 

these loungers are sofas and easy chairs  

as soon as you embark, go to the Bliss Theater box office, Deck 7 Forward, Starboard entrance to the theater. You can book all of your shows at the same time. Jersey Boys, Havana, comedy shows (early shows are family oriented, late shows 18+), Prohibition, silent disco, Canvas by U painting classes, Escape Room, go karts, and laser tag. Prohibition is done in a small venue and will sell out fast, so don’t delay once you embark . 

there is outdoor seating. There are heater above the tables if it is chilly. 

all three MDR serve the same menu. Shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except the Ocean Blue and Le Bistro specialty restaurants where gents are required to wear pants (jeans, dockers)  there is no formal dining  it is all informal and many are in shorts and polo shirts. Not so many nice dresses.

Scan our live post from our Bliss cruise for photos and tips 

• Like 1

Not sure but I think what they mean by booking only 1 show is that you can’t book the same show multiple times. As soon as we boarded the Breakaway in January we went to the reservations stable they had set up (sorry, can’t remember where it was) reserved shows also was able to change dinner reservations times. When I booked them on line only late times were available went ahead and booked them then was able to change once we boarded. Enjoy your cruise, very jealous I still have 301 days till my next one. 

On 4/13/2019 at 1:05 AM, marktwothousand said:

1) when the restaurants and bars aren’t operating, you are free to sit at the couches that are out there. This is typically in the afternoon and late night. Also, I recommend you check the very aft of the waterfront deck and see the glass-bottom floor to which you can look down over the ship and ocean.

2) sandled feet are much dirtier than hands - not sure why you would think otherwise. the loungers in the obs lounge aren’t the typical kind of loungers you’re thinking of like at a pool. They are essentially couches and sofas. It’s ok to put your feet on the end of them as long as you use the blanket provided on the loungers to rest your feet on so that the loungers don’t get dirty. (I‘d recommend COVERING your feet with blankets too, so people don’t have to see them in such a classy area of the ship)

5) there is a little bit of outdoor seating, but that part of the buffet has different foods like burgers and hot dogs. You can bring your food from the main buffet to the outdoor seating, but it’s much easier if you just eat the outdoor buffet in the outdoor eating and the indoor buffet at the indoor seating. Also - the observation lounge has an excellent lunch buffet too. I personally eat there. (Now do you see why we don’t want to see feet?)

6) the manhattan room is the nicest one but it’s not as nice as the manhattan rooms on other ships, there’s no dancing and entertainment, but it’s the formal one and I like it

as for clothes... bring lots of jewels and for shoes - I recommend heels. No plastic thongs please! Its appropriate to wear heels, jewelry and a dress that falls below the knee at the formal MDRs. And making yourself up couldn’t hurt either...I know if I was a girl, my mother would always tell me “don’t leave the house without putting on lipstick first” and hopefully you live by that motto too 🙂

as for transport, call your taxi or uber service for an accessible vehicle. They won’t be affected by the after-bar crowd as they only serve people with accessibility issues. 

And yes, I am terrible with overthinking before I travel. It’s become so overwhelming I think I’m going to have to start seeking counseling for it, it almost brought me to tears of hopelessness today because there’s just so much to do. if I can’t get it under control, I’m just gonna stop travelling totally. 😞

Hope that helps. 

I'm sorry but..."making yourself up couldn't hurt either".....".hoping she lives by your mothers motto."....you are putting statements like that in writing in this day and age...boy, your brave.😂

Edited by myjillian
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

My husband just had to add his 2 cents worth....his advice..".a woman should always pack her pearls and at least one cashmere button down sweater."....all you women out there....are you taking notes😅

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, myjillian said:

I'm sorry but..."making yourself up couldn't hurt either".....".hoping she lives by your mothers motto."....you are putting statements like that in writing in this day and age...boy, your brave.😂

LOL. “brave” wasn’t the first word I thought of. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/12/2019 at 11:46 PM, misha1 said:

The outside dining venues are covered and enclosed by rails generally.

There is significant outside lounge arrangement with all weather couches and single chairs.  They are very, very popular with people who like to read, see the seas and not get too much sun.  Great for larger groups also to get together.

The Observation Lounge is 'awesome.

It has been noted, with photo's, of people with bare feet on the fabric.  On our B2B we only saw a few of such.  Most had socks on or used a towel under their feet.

We booked what we could ahead of time.  What we needed to book for the go-carts and the Vibe we did at the location others have noted and at the Social Comedy Night Club.

We also went across the hall from their to make changes to dining reservations; earlier times are the easiest to get.

Also, regarding the LED screens for activities and dining (especially) they have green and red circles to indicate how full they are and what is open.  We totally IGNORE them as they were not reliable.  We'd walk in to whatever we wanted even if it indicated it was full for that time.

Re go carts, we went extra time when they said it was ALMOST FULL.  We were the only ones on the attraction.

No help here, up in New England.😯

Hope some help.  Have a GREAT time.  

Here is our Bliss B2B review from January.

On 4/13/2019 at 8:08 AM, bluesea777 said:

I think you meant in one week's time.

The Bliss repositions to Alaska cruises from Los Angeles in 2 weeks' time so the last Mexico cruise is next week.

We are on the Pacific Coastal on April 28th - can't wait. Will see the OP on Bliss.

Yes you will!  I actually, and out of my norm, started putting clothes and jewelry together.  It was actually quite relaxing and fun.  As long as I don't put them in cases yet, I will be fine.  I have a fear of packing over and over again, so I wait until the afternoon or evening before travel.

Everything Bird Travels said.  Was on the Bliss for 15 days...am not packing heels (would like to hear a man's opinion if they actually wore those).  We are going to have a great time, no matter what we wear, when we eat, or where/how we sit!  See you in 2 weeks!!

@myjillian @Greenpea2 sorry, I didn’t mean that in a bad way. And it goes for both ladies and men - as a gentleman, I “make up” by shaving, trimming cleaning up edges and using various cleansers and creams, cologne and accessories. I am a “look good, feel good” person... I understand it’s a lot of work to get ready, especially on vacation, but In my opinion it’s worth it.

If you take that extra time to put the final touches on before a nice dinner, trust me, you’ll feel great! And if not, that’s cool too...I just want what’s best for everyone and I believe looking good makes people feel good, and who doesn’t want to feel good?

and I don’t mean “make up” to the point where you look like a Vegas cocktail waitress or A creature from Rupaul’s Drag Race. I’m just saying, do what you know makes you look your best because it’s easy to sometimes just say “bah, I’m on vacation, to hell with the eyeshadow” but you might feel great at dinner and turn some heads, if you just take those little extra steps. 

1 minute ago, marktwothousand said:

@myjillian @Greenpea2 sorry, I didn’t mean that in a bad way. And it goes for both ladies and men - as a gentleman, I “make up” by shaving, trimming cleaning up edges and using various cleansers and creams, cologne and accessories. I am a “look good, feel good” person... I understand it’s a lot of work to get ready, especially on vacation, but In my opinion it’s worth it.

If you take that extra time to put the final touches on before a nice dinner, trust me, you’ll feel great! And if not, that’s cool too...I just want what’s best for everyone and I believe looking good makes people feel good, and who doesn’t want to feel good?

and I don’t mean “make up” to the point where you look like a Vegas cocktail waitress or A creature from Rupaul’s Drag Race. I’m just saying, do what you know makes you look your best because it’s easy to sometimes just say “bah, I’m on vacation, to hell with the eyeshadow” but you might feel great at dinner and turn some heads, if you just take those little extra steps. 

It's nice that you have your standards but please realize that not all women wear lipstick or even eye shadow and they can still look clean and pretty.  I admit that seeing a well dressed, groomed gentleman is not always a common sight....but a most welcomed one.  My husband is always well dressed and groomed on or off a cruise ship...and so am I...yet I never wear eye shadow and only sometimes lipstick yet I feel that we are always a nice looking couple....and we always feel great😘

You seem to be a good looking young man...but when  comments like yours are said you come off as being a judgmentally  biased young man and that is not an attractive trait to have and I'm sure your not like that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

272447566_dudestop.jpg.c36465ec20d3743b2cdbb6a6f035c8a3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, myjillian said:

It's nice that you have your standards but please realize that not all women wear lipstick or even eye shadow and they can still look clean and pretty.  I admit that seeing a well dressed, groomed gentleman is not always a common sight....but a most welcomed one.  My husband is always well dressed and groomed on or off a cruise ship...and so am I...yet I never wear eye shadow and only sometimes lipstick yet I feel that we are always a nice looking couple....and we always feel great😘

You seem to be a good looking young man...but when  comments like yours are said you come off as being a judgmentally  biased young man and that is not an attractive trait to have and I'm sure your not like that.

This.

He lost me at the word he used for the human beings on Drag Race. Talk about rude! I know a few people who do Drag - one of whom is on this season - and they are some of the nicest, most genuine people I have ever known in reality.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

This.

He lost me at the word he used for the human beings on Drag Race. Talk about rude! I know a few people who do Drag - one of whom is on this season - and they are some of the nicest, most genuine people I have ever known in reality.

I concur😘

• Like 1