Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Miaminice

Japan Cruise on Westerdam - 04/14/19 - Live(ish) report

Recommended Posts

Japan Cruise 2019 - Day 11 - Otaru/Sapporo

The first stop on today’s private tour was the Shiroi Koibito Chocolate Factory. Although it was a display of Kitsch Galore, it was just too cute and we all had big smiles on our faces.

 

13D9385C-A46B-4098-80DF-BE0043F23B79.thumb.jpeg.3bb02bcbc9fc4eec7fd71884a26fd09c.jpeg

 

CE08852A-BD43-4106-BF7E-808BC7D6B310.thumb.jpeg.628f7423526b0f5a84dd1ed606db50cb.jpeg

 

6894EAD7-D41D-473F-A395-EE1116D7CB7E.thumb.jpeg.7f09baacd454749f8b7f342fc0225f5d.jpeg

 

49B07B9D-83A0-4D61-8BE7-D833BABE3FF0.thumb.jpeg.2b0a66db8178d18f7cd2e49e3c8e74fe.jpeg

 

204C6548-19A1-4B4C-A911-58E04E4C1680.thumb.jpeg.029e0ec5963bcb2b0bd598551560ac6b.jpeg

 

92667D0D-D131-4D89-BA4D-D5CCECD78B22.thumb.jpeg.674922d3ea822a8780355f8e619fa68f.jpeg

 

2B8A8366-8F42-4AC4-B6FD-BAC3EC4828BA.thumb.jpeg.a7fef5c48bd269882df89a661a3d0161.jpeg

 

 

Our next stop was more adventurous. We went to the Okurayama Ski Jump Stadium... OK, we did not really jump. However we got to pose as winners 😉

 

9C711522-D788-4C9C-9ACA-FFF236AE4966.thumb.jpeg.3b5b51ea59c6bcdaf243e5431a576df0.jpeg

 

2E7684B1-960A-4848-8030-977D2620E0CE.thumb.jpeg.7a468e93bf16f30fa82d30d08330779a.jpeg

 

 

Our guide took us up to the top of the jump by chairlift and we enjoyed a scary but gorgeous view.

 

135883E5-2D6C-43AA-800A-83A781A3769C.thumb.jpeg.54a1c54b1a5e21994858f869da45a00c.jpeg

 

5B833827-59F5-4BCD-AA6D-8A57C7A00999.thumb.jpeg.4083f1e3bef00b6ec5490e65f2831859.jpeg

 

AC75633A-B4F0-409C-962E-1396675C9715.thumb.jpeg.d18395df0144a3d940f9915955f0f814.jpeg

 

34C4CE71-1D90-42E6-97B7-DF103959172A.thumb.jpeg.f692fe6442171ed56779f5f8da2c2146.jpeg

 

 

If we needed to show gratitude for surviving this we could do so on our next stop, the Hokkaido Jingu Shinto Shrine, before looking at some old former government buildings in downtown Sapporo.

 

70AB5D4B-B185-4997-9518-CA55A3C87C43.thumb.jpeg.ad10d9f418b4b9d5f6f89dd6ec25cf7c.jpeg

 

0D105480-0672-4D21-A978-3BE971810762.thumb.jpeg.301d3a6ff47df121b8ce28cbf788ae8f.jpeg

 

7B6DF302-66E5-4B7E-BA71-CC34961E062C.thumb.jpeg.c5b1c6ff8d22f827c5e9e997959afde0.jpeg

 

DA536543-9913-49C8-9D14-EDACDFCCEEDA.thumb.jpeg.cd86cf0d1254b569c3d1c18203d325e4.jpeg

 

9D9D09E7-BB07-4767-8A2A-8C23BB9B7346.thumb.jpeg.f11cd304b8770bb6563e6de480851d19.jpeg

 

8020244D-59BC-4463-9A6B-35601616C98C.thumb.jpeg.e283eca22000584014cadea1e77c16e0.jpeg

 

FCDA6667-F8D9-48A5-AA9F-F78ABD9A1711.thumb.jpeg.e9c7e8b2f48f8f0f87139c00d833d2e4.jpeg

 

4329218F-4E94-4727-B191-04B7C2E39EC2.thumb.jpeg.5a8ed5e60c3527381ec6171d52f2f7e5.jpeg

 

 

When it was time for lunch our guide Yuko took us to a little restaurant a bit outside of Otaru. The family run place is very popular with locals - and we could see why.

 

E72A2FE3-0F6B-4C70-B6E0-DFE796D65ADF.thumb.jpeg.959f6adcb0d5302639e675556aa827ca.jpeg

 

A44D152E-D068-4C5B-98EE-3D3594F1ABB5.thumb.jpeg.49061a7129e3e9a80ab0ac262184c704.jpeg

 

9675BDFD-54B3-4B86-A881-040C11D58962.thumb.jpeg.bf3a2bbd69be33a320b0b276467a5c84.jpeg

 

6302CAAD-36E9-4C6C-80C5-CCC20329C4D5.thumb.jpeg.1db8250bcf16f91b37340896b57e84e3.jpeg

 

Just a bit up the hill we could already see our next destination. The Otaru Nishin Goten Herring fishery lodge. Here we could see how the fishermen worked and lived who made the town thrive in the 19th century, when fishing Herring was a gold mine.

 

915EC874-E4E2-4DBE-99BF-1ABDFA786064.thumb.jpeg.7760cc5198575dca34c8abc842f8a40b.jpeg

 

049E8144-E398-421A-9461-F31C156B0BC6.thumb.jpeg.d1351942f1e458199d48a7bbd4048baa.jpeg

 

23933CA0-DEC5-43A3-9CB3-88EF0431C20A.thumb.jpeg.fd18d0ec896af52d1c8547b2a4276399.jpeg

 

580581E4-717F-4CEF-9A1D-D67CC745023A.thumb.jpeg.8c019473f0eba436eff6e241c4b0acd1.jpeg

 

252AAA3E-BC98-4AA4-AAA1-A4286945C3AB.thumb.jpeg.68015f5bdb754762480ff90e109a8f00.jpeg

 

03620F93-DD70-4EC5-8113-F99B519D54D8.thumb.jpeg.974c1900cd2565b723e8a1d51a9cc8bd.jpeg

 

Last but not least we got to see downtown Otaru. The shops sold all the goods the area is known for: music boxes, glas, pastries and ice cream made from Hokkaido milk and all kinds of fishy things.

 

44C96F6A-4FDA-4853-91B1-77CABC281A0A.thumb.jpeg.71481c5af09d5c0a9f057a3b3f398c8d.jpeg

 

CB5C0BC3-482E-4F21-849B-C7F4EB41F0EA.thumb.jpeg.92bddae3feb85a7d463d208b9e77e80c.jpeg

 

658E6D3A-280A-431C-B1B7-FE5E1A327257.thumb.jpeg.371e64bf582d4e7304a14ac83c924bbe.jpeg

 

A96A88CF-1377-4113-A342-FCDF51D8D3EF.thumb.jpeg.17fa1d5519b9ec929974d419751d4162.jpeg

 

402CA9B7-32E0-4A8B-9125-9539F0C1F5F0.thumb.jpeg.82ec703b114efbd5520fec7ffbb46c05.jpeg

 

340349EA-E5CB-40AC-AA87-06ABB17BDD47.thumb.jpeg.9bae6808874d0c6df84b283013ec1634.jpeg

 

96923989-98A2-4E2F-8014-3CA8E33D51E4.thumb.jpeg.4ed22bb707ebe0cafcdc65fe39f79947.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Otaru looks like a very interesting port.  The Shiroi Kobito Chocolate Factory with the Kitsch Galore would be my favorite place.

 

Great report with wonderful pictures.  The restaurant for lunch looks wonderful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you!

We are docking in Hakodate this very moment. Unfortunately our luck regarding the weather does not seem to continue.

Anyway, rain or shine we will enjoy our day here and post about it later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Japan Cruise 2019 - Day 12 - Hakodate

The weather in the morning did not give away what a magnificent day this was going to be. After breakfast Birgit and I took a streetcar to Yunokawa. Right next to the station there was a beautiful shrine and we were just about the only people there.
 
465EDFFC-786F-4DE5-A793-5F4D1BFF83B2.thumb.jpeg.1eef012b3306f552ae3dfe0a4604d7fc.jpeg
 
113660E7-923D-4B25-843E-B4F397B97F6C.thumb.jpeg.a486e869263e987c1103dd38437d12ae.jpeg
 
38635FD2-2D3E-481D-B684-0E1D2D87D19E.thumb.jpeg.524784b321bed39d1eaffd41c68e79bd.jpeg
 
1A4CA25A-D339-4B96-97A4-EC967B06985E.thumb.jpeg.4f8b7809cca9381bf6fce1465d75f1e4.jpeg
 
A2308861-A9FD-4915-84D8-A1472A9D2F97.thumb.jpeg.287ecbfbfdd063bbc31d1250f1a1ff47.jpeg
 
DD36AE22-10BE-429A-A443-EC7CE658EE82.thumb.jpeg.e56b379abc4a85f34a822d7bef21a9c5.jpeg
 
3D26E792-6FFC-4DE4-BF8B-EE21DA476A4C.thumb.jpeg.826f8e595c1f135779f137521bf30889.jpeg
 
A short walk took us to the Hakodate Botanical Gardens known for their hot springs fancied by monkeys. They sure seemed to enjoy their spa time and grooming.
 
8E64240C-2BFC-4C2F-8AFD-49DB7E3F3ADC.thumb.jpeg.8ac2375bdb6963ce9cc1c0347fe83c5f.jpeg
 
9659C9A5-91EA-44CE-A825-48C256F0D784.thumb.jpeg.44fb4155db819da705b80faf6236bea7.jpeg
 
7BB283FC-4CA4-4265-9400-CF44EAB4BD3C.thumb.jpeg.56f9004e2af9f6890e2e802e3f6582c4.jpeg
 
We took another streetcar back and got off at the stop for Goryokaku Fort. Before visiting the star shaped fort, we had lunch at a highly recommended Ramen restaurant. It deserved the recommendations for sure!
 
B4CE999F-B133-4C94-BC11-E6BD147EA310.thumb.jpeg.0b753c4d47db56eb09e3a7909ae8b78d.jpeg
 
From Goryokaku Tower we got a good view of the fort from above before walking along the fortifications. The blossoms were not fully out yet. What we saw, however, gave us an idea of the unbelievable sight to come in a few days time.
 
12976868-FA8D-4EF1-A9DD-33E454A394E5.thumb.jpeg.8e311e9dab6bce6649da95da08a7ecc5.jpeg
 
7292EE34-7FB8-4754-818E-95E9069CE6AD.thumb.jpeg.e91b7ccc479c4cf41ca36b55f8b51425.jpeg
 
5298CD59-031B-4F39-957D-EDD9ED9E8438.thumb.jpeg.3f63fdecccf7a6d98d671855ac37d6ca.jpeg
 
14B7198F-FCAB-4F59-989C-33D1E22541DF.thumb.jpeg.bf866db06035112e01e8d94ab3fd566f.jpeg
 
06D2F1AD-85B8-4A03-8F1C-79E836552C86.thumb.jpeg.dcc82e4efdf4fa8912dd0bebc85f2bc5.jpeg
 
C9738329-180C-43A3-9D52-4D06573BD6A1.thumb.jpeg.dfda2dde7b8e198c041ec074e1d7ca53.jpeg
 
AFD6EED7-DCE9-4F3C-A518-133F814BF87A.thumb.jpeg.f3b2ed7254c5df6ee979f6bb17f0ded1.jpeg
 
BEBB09C6-DCF2-4A87-B09E-564561FD55DF.thumb.jpeg.985ae65c578746fe869063eeef4b8ad3.jpeg
 
Another ride on the tram took us to the Motomachi area. Its old red brick warehouses are lovingly restored and converted into shops and cafés.
 
83457433-5E67-4FBC-94BE-1F5E05B985EA.thumb.jpeg.28c3acfa8449a0b693d71693da51f86e.jpeg
 
5052B27B-C43A-4153-AFB3-F94221A7727E.thumb.jpeg.3c099e000ce0929f9c46585a31025514.jpeg
 
0CE40F8B-019D-4A5D-A2F7-2B3C274524E0.thumb.jpeg.5070580dc20b3390a2587c1c882f8ece.jpeg
 
 
51DA48A1-1C26-47F7-AB34-48ECFEA80586.thumb.jpeg.6e38c0c1e26bd2decbd04b8b8d086dfd.jpeg
 
From here we walked up the hill to the base station of the Hakodate cablecar which we took to the top of Mount Hakodate.
 
4E5D74D3-D4E8-4EB6-A6F8-3F5490D761CC.thumb.jpeg.f32ad2497a1a70a5f24896af053468a8.jpeg
 
79352F13-CBA9-49BB-90B2-04E9BC56CE7D.thumb.jpeg.9e2aaec45627add689739c7810383d3b.jpeg
 
Our late departure time gave us a chance to enjoy the sunset from up there. What a beautiful day!

 

70928FA4-9782-4E39-B534-6B139DED961C.thumb.jpeg.4c16cc5f1323990f20640ec46dbb464e.jpeg

 

3D0936D6-0782-4FB5-BDCD-025C1CE49701.thumb.jpeg.54693191689a327430c9a8663685a1a2.jpeg

 

0ACBE5C9-922D-4444-B029-5DC24D994CF2.thumb.jpeg.8e6e0206249bbe02af6d3d3480a41324.jpeg

 

8D455E84-5213-4B8B-9D49-7999C512DB21.thumb.jpeg.cad177c598946c4dfce7d9fc0f85ac57.jpeg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Japan Cruise 2019 - Day 13 - Aomori/Hirosaki

Today was our last port day of this cruise. In terms of cherry blossom viewing it was supposed to be the highlight of the cruise... so spoiler alert - you are going to see a lot of cherry blossom photos. 

 

Unfortunately today’s weather was rainy and miserable. However, the clouds in the sky could not cloud our joy and amazement when we entered the Cherry Blossom Festival at Hirosaki Park. Again, no words could describe the experience, so I‘ll just give you the photos.

 

70C3D39F-B05C-4E56-BBAC-3974AE9286EC.thumb.jpeg.dd2d4c4ba67a18ec8172ff15fd6e7f4f.jpeg

 

CBDDEA53-79BA-4C05-BB87-694193DA96EE.thumb.jpeg.6bc0093ffcf9c1e0d785896df086b9bb.jpeg

 

BDFE1CCA-871C-4863-B392-8C1F691C05F1.thumb.jpeg.22c6a9a9e7023df561d01fbf579993db.jpeg

 

65491AEA-A5B8-40D8-864E-3FA69FBF52C4.thumb.jpeg.4101c55365c4f5223330cdfd602bfd89.jpeg

 

A8841EE3-DA93-4C76-A49D-B57BD66A2CA2.thumb.jpeg.2f3141ef7cc61da46e446f7f572d2424.jpeg

 

DE9D1124-C1A9-45FA-AF87-8ECAE89A5413.thumb.jpeg.53002baadf0ec41d9c19005389adc1b3.jpeg

 

4AA39718-B586-40A4-86D8-773009EE9572.thumb.jpeg.ba506ccf82dfed42f1896c7621e22ba2.jpeg

 

270464C3-DD80-4C82-8BF6-F40A0650649A.thumb.jpeg.f289751d8e6a7bcaf4732fb359c25512.jpeg

 

2A92D32F-6B63-4605-80C6-1CB83F776C56.thumb.jpeg.7973fbe4cbfda7d4e59ca49b0436b47b.jpeg

 

8C200044-724D-4F7F-939E-2ED921A27E46.thumb.jpeg.51c2a01aaeb812c6e5ef1213e0584b11.jpeg

 

F3AC2A0B-F6D2-41F8-A46C-CA4714181BBA.thumb.jpeg.9e76835adae79b88358886580030d37d.jpeg

 

E20037BA-1D18-4286-A3A0-118E30A4AF68.thumb.jpeg.0c3ac78f541d05036d5a9ad49dc23edb.jpeg

 

C251617B-0029-4C87-A677-BFEB01090C4F.thumb.jpeg.97f19f8a58bc9add80b14a03d6cf16fc.jpeg

 

A5E54004-3BA8-4650-8163-18B5E69408F8.thumb.jpeg.75b51fb487b9217abaed9255141b6951.jpeg

 

B12F9DF8-1CE2-495F-BD86-B3E9763C89CF.thumb.jpeg.7b91865f1a3ee4404d747d50adf1ff65.jpeg

 

12711923-303D-417A-A45E-0D2C5E6D0D60.thumb.jpeg.84d1be88ffb353ff709004b2ee675ff6.jpeg

 

F19DF8AC-ACDD-4F99-B375-D40AAE911FE3.thumb.jpeg.ba4b12f77a293c6008f644de95be8ce2.jpeg

 

32C14DD2-0089-41A3-8E2F-1756642C82A2.thumb.jpeg.ae7ed612fae2964f11513f5a6b73ebd0.jpeg

 

D76662BE-CCCF-4607-9E97-A2F66DAA3E19.thumb.jpeg.a8f76f3683ec37ebe8929041f18f88b7.jpeg

 

EB96D4BA-8376-4B6F-922C-4C14BA3AEFE3.thumb.jpeg.96fc87539149840f1c50a61ff2bb0499.jpeg

 

6FC5FEB3-DF8E-4DBE-A3BA-E8AB65A9C3FC.thumb.jpeg.ac0b03431cf00926f7d8c411572fb49b.jpeg

 

 

An area of the park was reserved for food stalls and vendors offering all kinds of Japanese specialties catering to the people celebrating Hanami despite the cold. By now the rain had really set in and Birgit and I warmed up by having a nice and hot bowl of Ramen in one of the stalls.

 

241DBA29-F156-4C9D-9BD2-34F3F4A62BF3.thumb.jpeg.13023894eaede5f9b0d0a9c753e7e16d.jpeg

 

530B4CD9-9128-4CB5-85E4-7105959873B7.thumb.jpeg.34b986d97cadbe44546a6694bc1a6734.jpeg

 

CF5AE3D3-D3BA-4468-8CB7-B562F4AF7886.thumb.jpeg.3c16b796c0d40b3e44da0a2a398284b5.jpeg

 

BE1CF510-041E-4FA9-9F4C-FE965A147224.thumb.jpeg.ddecfacaf1a4b91e7774eb79d7f08010.jpeg

 

BFDD5BF1-1960-4D58-B159-3953A966872A.thumb.jpeg.b1d208b7b56bc0f83daff488ebcf8956.jpeg

 

0F89FBAA-A4F1-4C77-AB3B-4271BF6719F3.thumb.jpeg.bf76a6c68516b298056cfacf96a3c3b4.jpeg

 

3E860529-259D-4ECE-A180-F67C01E3A014.thumb.jpeg.62f59e9675524035762f556893f3ad6c.jpeg

 

Writing this we are having a hot cup of tea as we are waving Aomori goodbye and head out into the stormy sea.

We have the same feeling like two years ago when we left the last port of the cruise - we miss Japan already.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad this was your last port for this cruise and you had so much rain.

 

The cherry blossoms are beautiful.  All the food looks fantastic.

 

But the winner of all these great pictures is the one with the 4 monkeys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoying your report 👍 and picking up manny pointers for our cruise next year, same time.👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spectacular pics. Thank you. 

 

Perhaps the one one thing I miss most about the D.C. area is being a Metro ride or a walk at lunch away from the Tidal Basin at cherry blossom time. You are correct, words can not do it justice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the fabulous photos.  As this cruise comes to an end, it's time to plan for the next one.  As for me, I have just added Japan on my bucket list.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Japan Cruise 2019 - Day 13 - Aomori/Hirosaki

Today was our last port day of this cruise. In terms of cherry blossom viewing it was supposed to be the highlight of the cruise... so spoiler alert - you are going to see a lot of cherry blossom photos. 

 

Unfortunately today’s weather was rainy and miserable. However, the clouds in the sky could not cloud our joy and amazement when we entered the Cherry Blossom Festival at Hirosaki Park. Again, no words could describe the experience, so I‘ll just give you the photos.

 

70C3D39F-B05C-4E56-BBAC-3974AE9286EC.thumb.jpeg.dd2d4c4ba67a18ec8172ff15fd6e7f4f.jpeg

 

CBDDEA53-79BA-4C05-BB87-694193DA96EE.thumb.jpeg.6bc0093ffcf9c1e0d785896df086b9bb.jpeg

 

BDFE1CCA-871C-4863-B392-8C1F691C05F1.thumb.jpeg.22c6a9a9e7023df561d01fbf579993db.jpeg

 

65491AEA-A5B8-40D8-864E-3FA69FBF52C4.thumb.jpeg.4101c55365c4f5223330cdfd602bfd89.jpeg

 

A8841EE3-DA93-4C76-A49D-B57BD66A2CA2.thumb.jpeg.2f3141ef7cc61da46e446f7f572d2424.jpeg

 

DE9D1124-C1A9-45FA-AF87-8ECAE89A5413.thumb.jpeg.53002baadf0ec41d9c19005389adc1b3.jpeg

 

4AA39718-B586-40A4-86D8-773009EE9572.thumb.jpeg.ba506ccf82dfed42f1896c7621e22ba2.jpeg

 

270464C3-DD80-4C82-8BF6-F40A0650649A.thumb.jpeg.f289751d8e6a7bcaf4732fb359c25512.jpeg

 

2A92D32F-6B63-4605-80C6-1CB83F776C56.thumb.jpeg.7973fbe4cbfda7d4e59ca49b0436b47b.jpeg

 

8C200044-724D-4F7F-939E-2ED921A27E46.thumb.jpeg.51c2a01aaeb812c6e5ef1213e0584b11.jpeg

 

F3AC2A0B-F6D2-41F8-A46C-CA4714181BBA.thumb.jpeg.9e76835adae79b88358886580030d37d.jpeg

 

E20037BA-1D18-4286-A3A0-118E30A4AF68.thumb.jpeg.0c3ac78f541d05036d5a9ad49dc23edb.jpeg

 

C251617B-0029-4C87-A677-BFEB01090C4F.thumb.jpeg.97f19f8a58bc9add80b14a03d6cf16fc.jpeg

 

A5E54004-3BA8-4650-8163-18B5E69408F8.thumb.jpeg.75b51fb487b9217abaed9255141b6951.jpeg

 

B12F9DF8-1CE2-495F-BD86-B3E9763C89CF.thumb.jpeg.7b91865f1a3ee4404d747d50adf1ff65.jpeg

 

12711923-303D-417A-A45E-0D2C5E6D0D60.thumb.jpeg.84d1be88ffb353ff709004b2ee675ff6.jpeg

 

F19DF8AC-ACDD-4F99-B375-D40AAE911FE3.thumb.jpeg.ba4b12f77a293c6008f644de95be8ce2.jpeg

 

32C14DD2-0089-41A3-8E2F-1756642C82A2.thumb.jpeg.ae7ed612fae2964f11513f5a6b73ebd0.jpeg

 

D76662BE-CCCF-4607-9E97-A2F66DAA3E19.thumb.jpeg.a8f76f3683ec37ebe8929041f18f88b7.jpeg

 

EB96D4BA-8376-4B6F-922C-4C14BA3AEFE3.thumb.jpeg.96fc87539149840f1c50a61ff2bb0499.jpeg

 

6FC5FEB3-DF8E-4DBE-A3BA-E8AB65A9C3FC.thumb.jpeg.ac0b03431cf00926f7d8c411572fb49b.jpeg

 

 

An area of the park was reserved for food stalls and vendors offering all kinds of Japanese specialties catering to the people celebrating Hanami despite the cold. By now the rain had really set in and Birgit and I warmed up by having a nice and hot bowl of Ramen in one of the stalls.

 

241DBA29-F156-4C9D-9BD2-34F3F4A62BF3.thumb.jpeg.13023894eaede5f9b0d0a9c753e7e16d.jpeg

 

530B4CD9-9128-4CB5-85E4-7105959873B7.thumb.jpeg.34b986d97cadbe44546a6694bc1a6734.jpeg

 

CF5AE3D3-D3BA-4468-8CB7-B562F4AF7886.thumb.jpeg.3c16b796c0d40b3e44da0a2a398284b5.jpeg

 

BE1CF510-041E-4FA9-9F4C-FE965A147224.thumb.jpeg.ddecfacaf1a4b91e7774eb79d7f08010.jpeg

 

BFDD5BF1-1960-4D58-B159-3953A966872A.thumb.jpeg.b1d208b7b56bc0f83daff488ebcf8956.jpeg

 

0F89FBAA-A4F1-4C77-AB3B-4271BF6719F3.thumb.jpeg.bf76a6c68516b298056cfacf96a3c3b4.jpeg

 

3E860529-259D-4ECE-A180-F67C01E3A014.thumb.jpeg.62f59e9675524035762f556893f3ad6c.jpeg

 

Writing this we are having a hot cup of tea as we are waving Aomori goodbye and head out into the stormy sea.

We have the same feeling like two years ago when we left the last port of the cruise - we miss Japan already.

 

 

 

The cherry blossoms look amazing.  Did you do this port as part of a tour or did you do it solo??  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, kiwicruisers51 said:

 

 

The cherry blossoms look amazing.  Did you do this port as part of a tour or did you do it solo??  Thanks

 

We had only organized and booked a transfer to Hirosaki for 8 people with triplelights.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fabulous photos and thanks for posting :).  I would really appreciate a post, summing up your onboard experience.  We are particularly interested in the food and entertainment that you have experienced.  Have there been shows every evening and were they all so-called "Guest Entertainers?"

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Miaminice said:

 

We had only organized and booked a transfer to Hirosaki for 8 people with triplelights.com

 thank you.🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Fabulous photos and thanks for posting :).  I would really appreciate a post, summing up your onboard experience.  We are particularly interested in the food and entertainment that you have experienced.  Have there been shows every evening and were they all so-called "Guest Entertainers?"

 

Hank

 

Will do... for now please look at post #41 for a first summary. It has not really changed after posting the first impressions.

 

There were shows every evening. Can’t comment on the quality though - we never go to the shows. The entertainers in Billboard and BB King‘s Blues Club were really good though.

Edited by Miaminice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:01 PM, kiwicruisers51 said:

 

 

The cherry blossoms look amazing.  Did you do this port as part of a tour or did you do it solo??  Thanks

I have enjoyed the story of your journey and the wonderful pictures so very much.   We will be on the Westerdam next year and while we have toured Japan before there is so much to see and enjoy one could go a dozen times and still enjoy it.

Did you go to Tokyo as some of you pictures looked a little like a tour (Best of Tokyo) we signed up for but are having second thoughts about as the reviews are not good, we will probably take it and hope for the best.

 

Once again, thank you so much and enjoy your future travels.   Joyce

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We spent a day before the cruise in Tokyo and I am writing this while on a subway in Tokyo again. We are staying one more night. 

 

We did a private tour two years ago. This time we just explore - which is very easy thanks to the great train network.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for your great photos and summaries of your trip. I am now twice as excited about doing this trip next year....!  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Japan Cruise 2019 - Day 15 - Yokohama/Tokyo

Unfortunately the beautiful sunrise of this day marked the final hours on the ship.

 

279A35D0-72A7-4B13-86CD-0C4776ED7477.thumb.jpeg.ce911cf3614ada89390b08ed76c9549b.jpeg

 

When we sailed underneath the bridge in Yokohama and past the Queen Elisabeth, the Red Brick Warehouses of Yokohama were shining in the sun. The beautiful wooden Yokohama Terminal is usually a very enjoyable sight. Today, looking down at it from our breakfast table, however, made us realize that we would leave beautiful Japan soon again. 

 

0DB2DB3A-54A1-480B-9512-F695BA7D72E2.thumb.jpeg.063e4583d50891fc1e7d8c6a9eb96fe8.jpeg

 

DF3F1375-43EA-4F4E-8E19-0AF6CC0D7F4A.thumb.jpeg.40bebdc239deac3a1851b7a60f76dbfc.jpeg

 

We had arranged a shared transfer to Shinjuku with a Canadian couple and found the driver with the sign at 9am sharp. In Shinjuku we went to our respective hotels. Birgit and I had booked the APA Kabukicho Tower as a simple place to stay just for one night.

Again, the size of the room made everything a team effort... you always had to wait until the other was hiding in the bathroom to be able to move 🙂

 

8A42AFFB-2C10-49C5-B462-D5E1817C0367.thumb.jpeg.4c8eb379f31906f1ebd452fd45fdd0a1.jpeg

 

We headed out again right away to make the most of the day. First we took a train to Ginza. The world of Fendi, Armani, Louis Viton, Hermes. 

 

51F9FA9F-1EA5-402D-8BA7-4553FE015C2E.thumb.jpeg.e19b21faad92ca90507d6837b83e6ac7.jpeg

 

B1BF3403-F21E-455A-A7AD-C719DAA6774F.thumb.jpeg.1084fef498f7327c8a448898c8720d7d.jpeg

 

8815B289-A451-4170-834F-B8B66B438AFF.thumb.jpeg.9054f643054ba73eb04c45257c14a2fe.jpeg

 

FEB9B6FD-939E-4CC9-9B8F-6F791D455D4C.thumb.jpeg.cd365b7b4e259db0fd845210649db2fb.jpeg

 

Much to my despair we managed to find the world‘s largest UniQlo store where Birgit left me in a corner for more than an hour. I watched the busy street outside being turned into a pedestrian zone after 12 o’clock (because it was a weekend day) and waited to be collected again.

 

CB264E55-D85B-49C4-BFD7-96DC91545F41.thumb.jpeg.75a666fe3633c8325c5fd71e994673b1.jpeg

 

C72831E7-2787-42CC-935E-23900F6048C3.thumb.jpeg.16f3982385369ee0a959567b95e0b828.jpeg

 

 

4C3EA49E-6D6C-41F8-A57E-373E2ED2669B.thumb.jpeg.c30150294943863febc718858bcfc4da.jpeg

 

 

With the added load of a shopping bag we walked back to Tokyo Station. The famous „Ramen Street“ hidden in the maze of the underground tunnels was our destination. The best restaurants could be found by looking for the longest lines - some were so long that we joked about people probably getting in for dinner. We picked a restaurant and were rewarded by some of the best Ramen we ever had.

 

A358B534-8DE4-45E0-9977-10F704680C8B.thumb.jpeg.04ae962141a1dbe4b9cd2adafe04c998.jpeg

 

A86B4F62-7837-4C7A-9932-DA96B49805AA.thumb.jpeg.8160d16a9aaa90a18f9ba2b50e17398e.jpeg

 

504EA0D4-61E4-4AD2-A9A9-C4794C5F9686.thumb.jpeg.7f217578f7681061524e3349546c170f.jpeg

 

After lunch we left the station through the exit of the grand old brick building, followed the avenue leading away from it and headed towards the Imperial Palace. The watchtower’s reflections in the water of the moats were a beautiful sight.

0C950044-9285-4B19-80CF-307EC2B901CE.thumb.jpeg.abf0dc817a6a76acbea0c329a7da3fab.jpeg

 

270A3EB4-013D-423F-BBB5-E6AD753127D2.thumb.jpeg.f47beba4b8214dc60a4d1a3fc604de71.jpeg

 

EDB6BC44-18C4-483E-AAC7-2EE7DA0194E4.thumb.jpeg.02225f58fd2ac722f17730bbabe64632.jpeg

 

73423AB9-7ACC-45BC-B00F-67DA964F1D73.thumb.jpeg.591acf59c2b883eb640b39a625fb5d04.jpeg

 

23E9E930-CEF3-402B-B9DD-57681F4FE487.thumb.jpeg.ada71010f38a47760add63b975ac6feb.jpeg

 

The next subway took us back to the hotel for a rest. Later in the evening we met Brenda & Neil, the Canadian couple, again for some Yakitori in Memory Lane.

 

0918E3C3-E7CC-49AA-B61C-D33830F6A2EF.thumb.jpeg.39e2b10ac6f4a5fe8be8913a015251b4.jpeg

 

3ECE0B51-2565-47D2-BECB-25FFF8989E16.thumb.jpeg.b58773bfdaae725bfd0ab88c3434dc34.jpeg

 

EC4A6676-C39E-4506-A094-FF1C06587A0F.thumb.jpeg.6429dd9f8fcc83d61a246ccbd5972f71.jpeg

 

 

To add a bit more to the experience, we took a train to Shibuya and looked at the one minute madness of the Shibuya Crossing once more before heading back to the hotel.

 

EE6E0749-AE75-4139-B1C0-D52B060E7776.thumb.jpeg.0b3b4dbd4bfdd204db7967785df8955e.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...