Review with Photos - Celebrity Silhouette 12 nt. So. Caribbean 3/24-4/5/19

Trish Traveler

Thank you all!  Happy to share and re-live it as we are briefly back to winter in Chicago -  it is snowing right now! 😞  DH said it is because Game of Thrones new season begins tonight and WINTER IS HERE! 😂 Hopefully, it will return to spring this week. 

After doing this photo review for the first time, I all the more really appreciate the detailed photo reviews I have read here on CC which have been helpful to me.  It was more work than I realized, but it forced me to organize my photos.

ENJOY!

Very nice job with the review and pictures.  You obviously enjoyed your cruise.

as you know Celebrity is now offering a two perks even with an inside cabin.  The cost difference will vary.

if you do not mind sharing, what was you total drink charges for the 12 days.  (On the ship)

Thank you.

32 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

if you do not mind sharing, what was you total drink charges for the 12 days.  (On the ship)

Thank you.

Let's just say we are not Celebrity's best customers in that regard.  We didn't have all that many drinks on the ship.  I just find it hard to pay their prices (= I'm frugal 😉, and we pretty much feel this way on all our cruises).  We also had more affordable alcohol on the islands or included in tours during the day and didn't really care for more in the evening.  And we like that we can bring aboard the two bottles of wine for the cabin - although that doesn't last 12 days.   And one thing I like about cruising is that you can sit in a bar, or entertainment venue and enjoy it without ordering a drink.  Of course, I would never sit on an actual bar stool and take up space without ordering a drink.  

Obviously everyone is different and this doesn't work for some.  I can see where a drink package works well for many cruisers, and saw many happily enjoying theirs.

And although, I did enjoy the mango daiquiris, I didn't have that many.  It will be my new tropical summer drink though as I quickly made one the other night  by blending a mango, some orange juice, ice and Meyers rum.  Pretty close in taste.  Brought me right back to the Sunset Bar and the tropical views...😎 🍹

• Like 2

What a fun review to read!  Thanks for sharing.  We were on a similar, 12-night itinerary in late December, also on the Silhouette, and we, too, love that length of a cruise.  Just enough days that you feel like you really were on a great vacation, but not too short that you are not ready to go home.  The seven days of ports, one right after the other, did get tiring, but made those last two sea days that much more enjoyable and relaxing! 

Appreciate your time to share your vacation and thoughts with us!

Linda

• Thanks 1

Great review and just enough detail.  I've read some reviews with so much detail that I felt like I knew what the person did every minute of their time at their pre-cruise hotel (zzzzzz....), but I feel like you hit just the right balance and the photos were lovely.

I particularly liked your write-ups on the OV buffet.  We avoided the OV quite a bit because of the crowds (it's disappointing when your food is cold when you sit down because it took so long to find a place to sit), and we'd already paid for Blu by booking Aqua on this trip.  We also like dressing up a bit for dinner, which we rarely do outside of cruising and so we've never headed to the OV for dinner.  I didn't realize they had all those themed lunches and dinners, several of which sounded delicious and interesting.

You may have talked us into doing something else in St Maarten next time other than seeking out great liquor buys.  We've looked at the excursion list and never been that intrigued by any of them, and the crowded beach right there near town seemed unappealing, but your day sounded rather nice.  We'll still have to do the liquor stops on the way back though, as it's what allows us to stock our home bar with the high end stuff without taking out a second mortgage.  😉

Again, thanks for the great write-up!

Laurie
(fellow mango daiquiri lover)

54 minutes ago, SunsetPoint said:

Great review and just enough detail.  I've read some reviews with so much detail that I felt like I knew what the person did every minute of their time at their pre-cruise hotel (zzzzzz....), but I feel like you hit just the right balance and the photos were lovely.

I particularly liked your write-ups on the OV buffet.  We avoided the OV quite a bit because of the crowds (it's disappointing when your food is cold when you sit down because it took so long to find a place to sit), and we'd already paid for Blu by booking Aqua on this trip.  We also like dressing up a bit for dinner, which we rarely do outside of cruising and so we've never headed to the OV for dinner.  I didn't realize they had all those themed lunches and dinners, several of which sounded delicious and interesting.

You may have talked us into doing something else in St Maarten next time other than seeking out great liquor buys.  We've looked at the excursion list and never been that intrigued by any of them, and the crowded beach right there near town seemed unappealing, but your day sounded rather nice.  We'll still have to do the liquor stops on the way back though, as it's what allows us to stock our home bar with the high end stuff without taking out a second mortgage.  😉

Again, thanks for the great write-up!

Laurie
(fellow mango daiquiri lover)

Thanks Laurie.  It was great meeting you guys and sharing Cosol's tour.  I think I may have you to thank for my  love of the mango daiquiris, when I believe I saw you drinking it at Sailaway and decided to try it next time I ordered a drink!

OV is definitely much less crowded for dinner, as passengers have so many other choices of places to dine.  And I noticed one side of the seating area had dimmer lights in the evening (for more romantic atmosphere I presume??)  We usually peruse the entire buffet before making choices (which helps also with not overeating) and then eat our cold and hot courses separately.  However, it is still a trade off from being served in a sit down MDR, with attentive waiters.  It just seemed to work out this time to use OV some evenings and not get all dressed up.

13 hours ago, Trish Traveler said:

Thanks Laurie.  It was great meeting you guys and sharing Cosol's tour.  I think I may have you to thank for my  love of the mango daiquiris, when I believe I saw you drinking it at Sailaway and decided to try it next time I ordered a drink!

OV is definitely much less crowded for dinner, as passengers have so many other choices of places to dine.  And I noticed one side of the seating area had dimmer lights in the evening (for more romantic atmosphere I presume??)  We usually peruse the entire buffet before making choices (which helps also with not overeating) and then eat our cold and hot courses separately.  However, it is still a trade off from being served in a sit down MDR, with attentive waiters.  It just seemed to work out this time to use OV some evenings and not get all dressed up.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a wonderful review!  Your pictures were very nice and your organized attention to detail was very easy for the reader to enjoy your trip through your eyes. We were on Silly a few years ago with almost the identical itinerary, aside from Dominica. Reading your review had me reliving our cruise. Kudos for such a positive spin on your wonderful cruise!

I can understand your view on the drink pack.  We cruised for years without one and survived.  

On all of our recent cruises we had the drink pack.   We are finding out that sometimes it isn’t as much fun as it was without it.  When we didn’t have the drink pack we would have a few drinks in the ports at the local hangouts, or purchase a beer from a street vendor, and stay in the port for most of the day.  Now with the drink pack we can’t  justify spending money for drinks when we can get them on board and get back a lot earlier.   I guess it is also because we mostly sail in the Caribbean and been there many times.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Fabulous review, very much appreciated. Sounds like you had a great time.  Love the Silhouette and crew. 

Loved all the pictures. Thanks for taking the time to do your review. Many people besides myself really appreciate the time it takes to do a review.

Norma

Fantastic review!  Thank you for sharing.  Your review is encouraging as we are booked on this cruise April 5, 2020.  I say 'encouraging' as I've been reading the recent reviews of the Eclipse which were disheartening as we're sailing on her to Alaska on July 21st, this year.  

So, thank you so much for you extensive review and photos.