Spring Break on the Allure Exceeded Expectations – A Quick Trip Report

10 minutes ago, RW_MI said:

Great and helpful review!

I'm just in the process of choosing between Blue Kay and Jaime's on the Blue Reef (AI).  There have been so many conflicting reports about the beach setup, cost, etc. at Blue Kay that I've been leaning toward Jaime's, but now?  Maybe not!  Those pictures look great!  Were the drinks decent at Blue Kay?   I'm not a big drinker, so two is plenty if they're good!

Also, Jaime's is less than a mile down the beach, has gotten really good reviews, and is $50 pp for the all inclusive.  How does that sound compared with what you spent per adult at Blue Kay?

I’m probably not the best person to ask about drinks, as I’m a beer drinker and can’t comment on the mixed drinks. My wife is avoiding sodas, carbs and sugary drinks, so she drank vodka (Absolut) mixed with bottled water. So obviously our drinks weren’t anything exotic, but that was our own choosing. The folks we were with had mojitos and they looked really good, though I never tasted them and they didn’t say anything one way or the other about them.

Because of our daughters Celiac disease, all inclusives don’t work for us (just don’t trust the food for her). We always bring plenty of sealed gluten-free snacks for the kids in port and it works out well.

As far as pricing goes, it really depends on how much you want to drink and eat, but I found the prices at Blue Kay to be excellent. I had 4 beers, my wife had 3 or 4 Absoluts with bottled water, we ordered 2 bottled waters for the kids, I had a chicken quesadilla (tasty), and my wife had some type of shrimp/guacamole dish which she absolutely loved. The bill for all of that was $43. With tip we spent $55. That plus the $12 entry per adult meant just under $80 at the resort for a great day!

Obviously if you plan to eat and drink a LOT an all-inclusive may be better suited for you, but if you want a moderate amount, Blue Kay was a great value!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gatordad815 said:

Obviously if you plan to eat and drink a LOT an all-inclusive may be better suited for you, but if you want a moderate amount, Blue Kay was a great value!

That's super helpful - thank you!  I'm not a big eater or drinker, and like your wife, I usually avoid sugar.  (I like her water/Absolut idea!)

3 minutes ago, RW_MI said:

That's super helpful - thank you!  I'm not a big eater or drinker, and like your wife, I usually avoid sugar.  (I like her water/Absolut idea!)

I’m glad I could help! I’ve researched as much as I can about pay-as-you-go options on the Western Route (there are so many all-inclusive options), and I think Blue Kay is as good an option as any if you’re not looking for all-inclusive (at least it was for us!). I hope your trip turns out well! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RW_MI said:

Great and helpful review!

Were the drinks decent at Blue Kay?   I'm not a big drinker, so two is plenty if they're good!

Also, Jaime's is less than a mile down the beach, has gotten really good reviews, and is $50 pp for the all inclusive.  How does that sound compared with what you spent per adult at Blue Kay?

Since we were there as well, I'll tell you about our drinks: for $12 per adult we got 2 (any) drinks each.  DH opted for mojitos - very good (we also had mojitos there in December), I got a hand made frappuccino  (super-duper delicious, and exactly what I needed for my headache - sweet and caffeinated, with swirls of hot fudge chocolate in it). They said "made it special for you", and, boy, it certainly was special.  We bought a Fanta for DS $2.50 and then spent one of the drink allowances on a Coke for him, because DH didn't want more than 2 alcoholic drinks.

A gentleman next to us got a Miami Vice (strawberry, coconut and pineapple) and he liked it as well.

We didn't order any food (brought potato chips and doritos for DS from the ship), so the total for the day was:

$8 taxi each way

$24 for chaises and 4 drinks

$2.50 for a Fanta

$5 tip

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2019 at 8:09 PM, Gatordad815 said:

BACKGROUND

So we were scheduled and paid for on the 3/31/19 Oasis of the Seas Spring Break Cruise that Royal Caribbean cancelled a few months ago.  Evidently they needed the ship to be empty of passengers so they could drop a crane on it. . .

Great review - you had me laughing at your first paragraph!

so glad your replacement family cruise  turned out great!  Thanks for your Review. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the great review, and the shout out to us Michiganders! Yes, we appreciate the weather so much, especially after one of the most brutal winters we've seen! I'm sure you were seeing pure bliss in their faces lol! I'm glad your trip was so wonderful.  We get to experience Allure in November,  can't wait! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kimkatmom said:

We are cruising on Allure next week. I was wondering if they had anything to replace the Dreamworks characters. I was wondering what kind of kids activities they had.  My grandson is 15 months old.

March 31st was the last cruise with Dreamworks characters...

Another Michigander here, appreciating the shout-out.  By the time Spring Break Week rolls around the first week of April, we've gone five months without seeing the sun -- we're ALWAYS happy to not spend fifteen minutes wrapping up in boots and parkas every time we want to leave the house!  

(By the way, it snowed here today.... the Game of Thrones season premiere isn't the only Winter Is Coming situation!)

When your kids are just a skosh older, I highly recommend snorkeling in Roatan.  I've been cruising since the 80s, and experienced Roatan for the first time last month... the water was unbelievably clear! 

• Like 1

Fantastic review!  We will be on Allure next February and can't wait.  And thank you for the Michigander shout out!  We are just happy to be anywhere but Michigan in the winter. :) Seeing the sunshine for the first time in months always makes us happy.

• Like 1

Great review! Thank you.  We are just off the Symphony and convinced 2 families that are our best-est friends to try the Oasis class ships.  I helped them decide and the Allure worked best for their dates.  They will be onboard this August.  So glad that my recommendation is supported! Again, thank you for such a detailed review.

Pam 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kimkatmom said:

We are cruising on Allure next week. I was wondering if they had anything to replace the Dreamworks characters. I was wondering what kind of kids activities they had.  My grandson is 15 months old.

I’m pretty sure there was noting to replace Dreamworks, but there was plenty to do for my kids and even though our sailing was the last with the characters, we didn’t go out of our way to see them and our kids didn’t miss them with everything else going on...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you! I'm on Allure in August. I don't have celiacs but I eat gluten-free for another auto-immune condition. Sounds like I won't have issues eating GF on Allure.  Like you, I will be so happy not to prep, cook, and clean up for one week!!! So happy to hear Sorrento's has GF pizza! I won't feel left out and sad...i love pizza!

Great review, thanks!  We board the Allure in 24 days and are over the top excited.  A little nervous about things being changed now for the Azilpod issues, but haven't gotten any emails yet (fingers crossed)!!