Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ScottC4746

Main Dining Room Attire

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Sorry, but I don't agree that it's not an artificial standard. Reading through the all-too-many dress threads, there are frequent disparaging posts made about passengers who meet HAL's dress code but are nevertheless denigrated. Those posting such remarks can only using artificial standards, as they aren't using HAL's.

It validates my conviction to always have a table for two.   I don’t go into public to be ridiculed or judged. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2019 at 1:24 PM, slidergirl said:

 

Some of the people who post here think that people who don't "dress up" to their standards are nothing more than lazy slobs, regardless of what they are wearing within the suggested guidelines... I keep asking for photos of the "slobs", but for some reason, they never find their way to these threads.   😉

 

Nobody here accused someone who doesn't dress up of being a "slob." This post is the first use of that word in this thread.

 

Just sayin'...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2019 at 3:43 AM, ScottC4746 said:

Just off the Eurodam and saw business casual every night in the main dining room.  One or two t-shirts.  I think 1 or 2 tuxes.  The main point was people were enjoying the cruise.

Congrats to the OP for expert trolling. Most people riffed off the topic title rather than the content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wehwalt said:

Congrats to the OP for expert trolling. Most people riffed off the topic title rather than the content.

Umm...not sure if that means I was in the right or the wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

The main point of my original post was "The main point was people were enjoying the cruise."  I didn't expect it to blow up.  Sorry about that.

 

No need to apologize.  You did nothing wrong.  It isn't your responsibility that some people seize any opportunity to state their opinion 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

 

Nobody here accused someone who doesn't dress up of being a "slob." This post is the first use of that word in this thread.

 

Just sayin'...

 

 

Good God!  Calling people "slobs" who do not put on the tux and gown is a common thing on the HAL threads.   The usual subjects just haven't posted yet...  get a grip.   Some doth protest too much...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

 

Nobody here accused someone who doesn't dress up of being a "slob." This post is the first use of that word in this thread.

 

Just sayin'...

 

 

Maybe the first in this thread, but a common occurrence in multiple dress threads. A quick search reveals 213 posts containing the word slob/slobs/slobbing/slobby/slobbily, the majority related to dress.

 

A couple of random examples, attribution removed:

 

Poster 1:

It is sad the way the world is changing concerning how they dress. Sadly we are now living in a world where many people -- just my opinion -- are becoming slobs.

And it is true that the cruise lines can't enforce the dress codes.

What others above have said is all so true -- so many excuses to get out dressing nicely for even a short period of time.

 

Poster 2:

We saw PLENTY of slobs ( or so as not to offend slobs everywhere, perhaps I should say, "Slobbily-dressed people") in the Dining Room. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

At the end of the day it is all up to HAL.  They are the ultimate arbiters of who is admitted to the MDR.

 

If it is OK with HAL, it is OK with us.  After all, it is their dining room.

Edited by iancal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, iancal said:

At the end of the day it is all up to HAL.  They are the ultimate arbiters of who is admitted to the MDR.

 

If it is OK with HAL, it is OK with us.  After all, it is their dining room.

 

That's true. I find it difficult to see how anyone could have trouble meeting the current dress code. I like formal nights when everyone participates. It's one of the things I enjoy on Cunard. But if HAL doesn't want to have a formal night, so be it. I will dress somewhat above the standard, but I won't be sitting there taking pictures of people who don't. 

 

This is not aimed at any particular poster, but I want to vent. If you don't want to dress up, just say so.  I'm so tired of the whiny "excuses" about packing and how suits and gowns take up too much space. HAL is not asking for people to wear a tuxes and gowns. Not even a sportcoat. So why trot out that old complaint?????????

 

And "dressy" clothes don't have to be uncomfortable. A necktie is tight only if it's pulled too tight. Odds are if a necktie feels too tight, it isn't the tie, it's because the wearer needs to buy a shirt with a larger neck size. And ladies, stop griping about shoes that hurt. WHY buy something that hurts?????? I get it, a lot of women can't wear high heels. OK, so check out the wide variety of ballerina flats that are around. Lots of nice looking flats that are comfy. And here's a hint: if you wear a long skirt, nobody sees your shoes and you can get way with "comfortable shoes." I was just at a brunch where one of the women was wearing a long dress. I complimented her on it and she said she loves long dresses because she can wear whatever shoes she wants. She stuck out her foot to show me her loafers. I would never have noticed if she hadn't told me. 

 

There's plenty of packable comfortable clothing out there that will exceed HAL's standards for those who WANT TO do so. If you don't want to dress up, fine. But stop blaming your suitcase or your wardrobe.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

 

That's true. I find it difficult to see how anyone could have trouble meeting the current dress code. I like formal nights when everyone participates. It's one of the things I enjoy on Cunard. But if HAL doesn't want to have a formal night, so be it. I will dress somewhat above the standard, but I won't be sitting there taking pictures of people who don't. 

 

This is not aimed at any particular poster, but I want to vent. If you don't want to dress up, just say so.  I'm so tired of the whiny "excuses" about packing and how suits and gowns take up too much space. HAL is not asking for people to wear a tuxes and gowns. Not even a sportcoat. So why trot out that old complaint?????????

 

And "dressy" clothes don't have to be uncomfortable. A necktie is tight only if it's pulled too tight. Odds are if a necktie feels too tight, it isn't the tie, it's because the wearer needs to buy a shirt with a larger neck size. And ladies, stop griping about shoes that hurt. WHY buy something that hurts?????? I get it, a lot of women can't wear high heels. OK, so check out the wide variety of ballerina flats that are around. Lots of nice looking flats that are comfy. And here's a hint: if you wear a long skirt, nobody sees your shoes and you can get way with "comfortable shoes." I was just at a brunch where one of the women was wearing a long dress. I complimented her on it and she said she loves long dresses because she can wear whatever shoes she wants. She stuck out her foot to show me her loafers. I would never have noticed if she hadn't told me. 

 

There's plenty of packable comfortable clothing out there that will exceed HAL's standards for those who WANT TO do so. If you don't want to dress up, fine. But stop blaming your suitcase or your wardrobe.

 

Well said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

If you don't want to dress up, fine. But stop blaming your suitcase or your wardrobe.

 

The suitcase is offered as a reason as to why most people are glad that cruise lines have relaxed the dress codes.  It was only a little over 10 years ago that you could check two bags for free on most every airline.  This was the standard for decades.  The introduction of fees for the first checked bag with an even steeper fee for a second bag has changed how people travel.  No one is "blaming" this for why they don't want to dress up but are pointing out the realities of travel in the modern era.  When space has a price put on it, people begin to assess what is and isn't necessary for a trip. 

 

The real reason why formal nights are gone from almost every cruise line is that society in general has become more casual.  What those who adhere to the dress code are tired of is people saying they have to exceed the dress code or be considered slobs (which itself is a value judgment based on an arbitrary standard).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

 

This is not aimed at any particular poster, but I want to vent. If you don't want to dress up, just say so.  I'm so tired of the whiny "excuses" about packing and how suits and gowns take up too much space. HAL is not asking for people to wear a tuxes and gowns. Not even a sportcoat. So why trot out that old complaint?????????

 

 

Okay. I'll bite.  I don't want to dress up.  My husband absolutely doesn't want to dress up. Neither of us want to buy clothes that we will never wear any place else, ever, just because somebody we don't know and will never see again wants us to get all dressed up for dinner on a cruise. 

If the cruise ship required it, we'll deal with it, either by coming up with something to meet the dress code or by skipping it altogether and eating in the buffet.  The cruise ship does not require it.  

We don't care what other people think they want us to do.

Oh, and we pack for an indefinite period of time (doesn't make any difference how long we'll be gone - two weeks or two months) in two smaller-than-average checked bags (they are just barely too big to be carry-ons.  We are not going to buy any more luggage than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, cowmilker said:

 

Okay. I'll bite.  I don't want to dress up.  My husband absolutely doesn't want to dress up. Neither of us want to buy clothes that we will never wear any place else, ever, just because somebody we don't know and will never see again wants us to get all dressed up for dinner on a cruise. 

If the cruise ship required it, we'll deal with it, either by coming up with something to meet the dress code or by skipping it altogether and eating in the buffet.  The cruise ship does not require it.  

We don't care what other people think they want us to do.

Oh, and we pack for an indefinite period of time (doesn't make any difference how long we'll be gone - two weeks or two months) in two smaller-than-average checked bags (they are just barely too big to be carry-ons.  We are not going to buy any more luggage than that.

 

(bold is mine) That's all you had to say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ithaca gal said:

Well said. 

I'm tired of the whiny people who say "don't whine about not enough room in luggage or too heavy, just say you don't like to dress up."  Good God.  Get a grip. Quit propagating false information.  Some may rather take scuba than a tux.  Why do some care?  Some may want to take 14 gowns in a steamer trunk for a 7 night cruise.  We don't care.  Some do not want to pay the extra luggage fees when they pack other items they consider necessities for what they will do on the trip, so try to pack to in one suitcase that will fit the mandatory weight and size requirements.  Why do some care? 

I've packed for a mandatory formal night in my carryon.   I didn't whine or pitch a fit.  

If a dress recommendation has a selection of things from A to Z, I'm not going to do Z because it's definitely not the norm anymore and I would not want to stick out like a Bozo the Clown at a State Dinner.  I'd go with the middle ground - not enough to look like I'm going to church or the Prom, but not enough for the usual suspects on here to peg me as a slob or a Person of Walmart or someone who just doesn't want to make the effort.

Edited by slidergirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cowmilker said:

 

Okay. I'll bite.  I don't want to dress up.  My husband absolutely doesn't want to dress up. Neither of us want to buy clothes that we will never wear any place else, ever, just because somebody we don't know and will never see again wants us to get all dressed up for dinner on a cruise. 

If the cruise ship required it, we'll deal with it, either by coming up with something to meet the dress code or by skipping it altogether and eating in the buffet.  The cruise ship does not require it.  

We don't care what other people think they want us to do.

Oh, and we pack for an indefinite period of time (doesn't make any difference how long we'll be gone - two weeks or two months) in two smaller-than-average checked bags (they are just barely too big to be carry-ons.  We are not going to buy any more luggage than that.

Well said!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2019 at 1:02 PM, Despegue said:

Haha, they are my wife’s  evening entertainment! You can not believe the horrific ties, tuxes ( white, green, red, we’ve seen them all) and other crimes against good taste on Formal night, and we love it! Moreover, some might think the same of us, it is just a fancy dress party really 🤪 or Halloween looking at some...🙃

We were on a cruise during Halloween night once and two couples came into the MDR dressed to the hilt as 60's Hippies! They were a big hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Good God!  Calling people "slobs" who do not put on the tux and gown is a common thing on the HAL threads.   The usual subjects just haven't posted yet...  get a grip.   Some doth protest too much...

Sometimes I think people post just to post.  Example, someone starts a thread with a simple question and then hundreds post a response without checking to see that the question had been answered already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

 

That's true. I find it difficult to see how anyone could have trouble meeting the current dress code. I like formal nights when everyone participates. It's one of the things I enjoy on Cunard. But if HAL doesn't want to have a formal night, so be it. I will dress somewhat above the standard, but I won't be sitting there taking pictures of people who don't. 

 

This is not aimed at any particular poster, but I want to vent. If you don't want to dress up, just say so.  I'm so tired of the whiny "excuses" about packing and how suits and gowns take up too much space. HAL is not asking for people to wear a tuxes and gowns. Not even a sportcoat. So why trot out that old complaint?????????

 

And "dressy" clothes don't have to be uncomfortable. A necktie is tight only if it's pulled too tight. Odds are if a necktie feels too tight, it isn't the tie, it's because the wearer needs to buy a shirt with a larger neck size. And ladies, stop griping about shoes that hurt. WHY buy something that hurts?????? I get it, a lot of women can't wear high heels. OK, so check out the wide variety of ballerina flats that are around. Lots of nice looking flats that are comfy. And here's a hint: if you wear a long skirt, nobody sees your shoes and you can get way with "comfortable shoes." I was just at a brunch where one of the women was wearing a long dress. I complimented her on it and she said she loves long dresses because she can wear whatever shoes she wants. She stuck out her foot to show me her loafers. I would never have noticed if she hadn't told me. 

 

There's plenty of packable comfortable clothing out there that will exceed HAL's standards for those who WANT TO do so. If you don't want to dress up, fine. But stop blaming your suitcase or your wardrobe.

 

This post is exactly why some people get turned off from asking questions or commenting on CC. Vent all you want but if this topic frustrates you then read something else.

 

Luggage size and weight is valid concern regardless of what you choose to pack...unless your OK with paying excess baggage fees and dragging around extra luggage.  A sportcoat does take more room in a suitcase than a polo shirt.

 

In my opinion a tie is not comfortable and I wear the correct shirt neck size.  If I wanted my neck to feel pressure l could also wear a scarf or a turtleneck. Ties are an accessory most men could easily live without. 

 

Extra layers (i.e.undershirt, dress shirt, tie, jacket or sport coat) are not comfortable....unless maybe if it's cold. 

 

I've never worn pantyhose, heels or any other fashion contraption that women choose or feel obligated to wear but ultimately if they wear it, it's their choice to do so.

 

HAL's policy is clear and reasonable.

 

Finally, I'll blame airlines, suitcases, dress codes, snobs, slobs or whatever/whoever else I feel like.  

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam and there were more folks dressed up on Gala night than not.  We dressed for the occasion in the dining room, but immediately changed to street clothes for the rest of the evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

This is not aimed at any particular poster, but I want to vent. If you don't want to dress up, just say so.  I'm so tired of the whiny "excuses" about packing and how suits and gowns take up too much space. HAL is not asking for people to wear a tuxes and gowns. Not even a sportcoat. So why trot out that old complaint?????????

 

And "dressy" clothes don't have to be uncomfortable. A necktie is tight only if it's pulled too tight. Odds are if a necktie feels too tight, it isn't the tie, it's because the wearer needs to buy a shirt with a larger neck size. 

 

There's plenty of packable comfortable clothing out there that will exceed HAL's standards for those who WANT TO do so. If you don't want to dress up, fine. But stop blaming your suitcase or your wardrobe.

 

As I've stated multiple times:

 - I don't dress up because I don't want to dress  up.

- "Dressy clothes" are uncomfortable, not because of the fit, but because I don't like to wear "dressy clothes".  If I don't want to wear something, it's 'uncomfortable'.

- I do not require someone else's permission to dress as I please.  Therefore, I don't rely upon excuses to explain why I don't bring 'dressy clothes'.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have avoided formal nights for years.  Lots of reasons why.  We simply dined at an alternate venue.  But we certainly did not hide in our cabin all night as some extremely uptight people used to suggest.   We could never see the enjoyment of dressing up for a few hours on a vacation.  DW does not have to wear her best Sunday beads to impress fellow cruisers.

 

We travel with carry on only.  Not because of cost.  Because of flexibility.

 

Having said that, just about anyone can meet HAL's current Gala night requirements.  We certainly can.  The real question is, do we really want to dine in the MDR on gala evenings?  This is the bigger question for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoyalVisit said:

This post is exactly why some people get turned off from asking questions or commenting on CC. Vent all you want but if this topic frustrates you then read something else.

 

Luggage size and weight is valid concern regardless of what you choose to pack...unless your OK with paying excess baggage fees and dragging around extra luggage.  A sportcoat does take more room in a suitcase than a polo shirt.

 

In my opinion a tie is not comfortable and I wear the correct shirt neck size.  If I wanted my neck to feel pressure l could also wear a scarf or a turtleneck. Ties are an accessory most men could easily live without. 

 

Extra layers (i.e.undershirt, dress shirt, tie, jacket or sport coat) are not comfortable....unless maybe if it's cold. 

 

I've never worn pantyhose, heels or any other fashion contraption that women choose or feel obligated to wear but ultimately if they wear it, it's their choice to do so.

 

HAL's policy is clear and reasonable.

 

Finally, I'll blame airlines, suitcases, dress codes, snobs, slobs or whatever/whoever else I feel like.  

 

 

 

 

 

And this post is an example of why I decided to vent. 

 

HAL's policy is absolutely clear, and it's what most of the HAL passengers want. My point was that you don't need to pack a sportcoat or special shoes or extra undershirts or ties and there's no point in whinging about uncomfortable clothing that you don't need to wear. SO YOU DO NOT NEED TO EXPLAIN YOURSELF AND PRESENT ALL SORTS OF EXCUSES THAT ARE IRRELEVANT GIVEN HAL'S RELAXED POLICY. 

 

Don't blame airlines, suitcases, dress codes, snobs, slobs. You don't want to dress up, that's OK. Just own it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

 

And this post is an example of why I decided to vent. 

 

HAL's policy is absolutely clear, and it's what most of the HAL passengers want. My point was that you don't need to pack a sportcoat or special shoes or extra undershirts or ties and there's no point in whinging about uncomfortable clothing that you don't need to wear. SO YOU DO NOT NEED TO EXPLAIN YOURSELF AND PRESENT ALL SORTS OF EXCUSES THAT ARE IRRELEVANT GIVEN HAL'S RELAXED POLICY. 

 

Don't blame airlines, suitcases, dress codes, snobs, slobs. You don't want to dress up, that's OK. Just own it.

 

Caps are the equivalent of screaming.

 

I understood your point but I disagree with much of your original post. You're trying to dictate how others view issues.  You own your opinions and I'll own mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RoyalVisit said:

Caps are the equivalent of screaming.

 

I understood your point but I disagree with much of your original post. You're trying to dictate how others view issues.  You own your opinions and I'll own mine.

 

I KNOW.

 

Not sure you did understand my point. I'm not trying to dictate your views or convince you to pack a tuxedo.  I'm just saying there's no point in trying to justify/explain something that doesn't need to be justified. I've heard all the excuses before in the days when HAL had a dressier code for what they used to call formal nights. Now that dress codes have been relaxed, there's no need to explain why you choose not to dress up. 

 

As another poster here says, I can explain it to you but I can't make you comprehend it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...