Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ScottC4746

Main Dining Room Attire

Recommended Posts

On 4/13/2019 at 11:14 PM, NSWP said:

Thanks, I am happy with it but the 'boss like to overdress a bit, she thinks she is going back on QM2.

My friends just went on QM2 for 45 days and posted their photos every night. It made me long for the 'good ol days'. Amazing how many suitcases and outfits. I can't carry that much stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ScottieM said:

.............................

On our first cruise in the Baltic in 2002, the most memorable part of the gala evening, was a long conversation I had with a bunch of Spanish teens (not formally dressed) about what one would wear under a kilt.  ....................................

 

OK, so did you provide them with a response they could live with?

 

Image result for funny kilt wearing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LMAO🤣, I've got a copy of that pic in my office at home.

I insinuated what I may, or may not be wearing underneath.... which was initially met with wide eyes and teenage giggles....then a thousand questions.  I think I finally satisfied their collective curiosity with a history lesson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I like a man in a well-fitting kilt!  If that is what you want to wear on the Gala nights and you won't mind being in the minority, go for it!    I'm 65 and have always been a rebel.  Fought my school's "dress and skirt only" rules for girls in the 70s.  I always found a way to do something out of the standard with my work clothes.  I'm just not a conformist, I guess.  As long as there is leeway in dress suggestion, not just a "thou must weareth a tux or gown only on dress up night", I'm OK.  Just don't try to box me in 😉

 

🤣  LOL. . . . . .Have you stumbled in your non conformity?  Apparently it is being non-conformist when you dress to the nines. . . . . . so, unless you dress up you are conforming to what everyone else is doing. . . . . .

 

HooRAYYYYYY for the NON CONFORMIST!    

 

ROTFLOL.   😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2019 at 8:39 AM, OhioLair said:

I too appreciate Cunard's standards, and it is quite special, even spectacular.  And true, HAL has lowered it standards about GALA nights.  They were more . . . . "special" when we first started cruising (and were not called GALA nights).   So 3rd gen, why the double standard?  Cunard vs HAL dress code?  Is it because Cunard has fewer ships and is not trying to appeal to a mass market where pandering to the lowest common denominator to  fills cabins?  

I wouldn't say "lowering standards", but more in line with SOME other luxury cruises.  Note the key word some not all.  Example Viking Ocean Cruises: During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We, thankfully, no longer have a reason to dress up since retirement.  And we do not.   We travel light and can dress to HAL's Gala evening standard.  Chinos and a collared shirt. Done and dusted for us.

 

Just because I still have suits, ties, and dress shirts hanging in the back of my closet along with several pairs of dress shoes does not in any way encourage me to pack them on a vacation.  The opposite is true. Nor am I interested in wearing any of them on the plane(s).

Edited by iancal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DW and I travel with carry on only. We've been to Europe for multiple weeks with a carry-on suitcase. Makes packing just the basic's and reusing a shirt or slacks a day or two, or wash and dry.

Looking forward to our 7 day HAL Alaska cruise in June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1.

 

We do the same.  Eight weeks of international travel every winter and usually six in the fall.   Carry on only.  Big change from our days of suits and frequent business travel. We love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't it wonderful that it is all these differences that make the world go 'round.  Personally, just because I can go with the minimum doesn't mean I should, or do.

 

Happy Sailing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Holland America Line website:

 

Is There A Dress Code?

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads:

  • Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.
  • Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

 

Q: Why the change from “Formal” To “Gala” night?

A: To many, the “Formal” term was misleading as it implies a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) that has never been a requirement. “Gala” still implies festive or dressy without misleading guests to bring attire the majority of guests don’t wear.

Q: What about ladies’ gala attire?

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable.

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men?

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

Q: Is the dress code the same on Grand Voyages?

A: Yes. The policy applies to all Holland America Line voyages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2019 at 6:50 AM, OhioLair said:

🤣  LOL. . . . . .Have you stumbled in your non conformity?  Apparently it is being non-conformist when you dress to the nines. . . . . . so, unless you dress up you are conforming to what everyone else is doing. . . . . .

 

HooRAYYYYYY for the NON CONFORMIST!    

 

ROTFLOL.   😉

Not quite.  I haven't had a HAL cruise for 2 years, so I guess I haven't totally lowered myself to the minimum - I had my LBD and my custom-handmade (by me) Swarovski necklace, bracelet and earrings.  Hmmmm.  I may have to go to the Assistance League Thrift store (where the local "ladies who lunch" dump their stuff) and buy some old lady's beaded and sequined ball gown from the 1984's Snow Ball and bring on my cruise... 😉

 

Edited by slidergirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got off Noordam in Honolulu on 6 May.  I can tell you now, men were wearing shorts in the MDR and on Gala night, jeans and T shirts galore.  The odd tuxedo.   The dress was very laid back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2019 at 8:03 PM, NSWP said:

No jacket and tie required on HAL anymore - even on Gala night - smart casual, collared short and trousers, no jeans.

A client asked me on a recent NA cruise, "What's so special about Gala night?"  Sadly I had to answer, "Not much, anymore." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boatdrill said:

A client asked me on a recent NA cruise, "What's so special about Gala night?"  Sadly I had to answer, "Not much, anymore." 

Spot on, nothing special and no lobster at all on our cruise, unless you wanted to pay $20 surcharge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got home from AK on Eurodam. 

Just nice simple attire was fine. There was a little of everything style wise. Some nights we dressed up more like for the specialty restaurants. I was surprised to see some really scrubby looking clothes in those venues though even though there is a dress code. On Gala nights we saw everything from jeans to tuxedos and everything was fine. Fun ship!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NSWP said:

Spot on, nothing special and no lobster at all on our cruise, unless you wanted to pay $20 surcharge.

Those frozen 3 or 4 oz lobster tails have never been anything special on a cruise, so most will not miss them.

 

The only "official dress code" is the one enforced by the current ship and restaurant manager that  you are on. Looks like on the Noordam and Eurodam that may be the case now, which is fine by me. Even many fine dinning land restaurants are becoming more and more casual. My wife and I dinned at a Perry's Steak House last Saturday for her birthday and most patrons dressed just like the recent HAL Gala nights, slacks, jeans, collar shirts and even shorts for both men and women. Its time to end the pretense on HAL, end Gala nights and the archaic dress code for the MDR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to Catholic school in the  50s and until the late 60s wearing jumpers and skirts for 12 years!   Until this day I can't stand to wear skirts and dresses.  Nice crops, pants, lovely tops work for me and I don't care anymore!

TO each his/her own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wore business suits for 30 years for my job and after I changed professions 17 years ago, I wore Kakis and Polo  Golf shirts for work until I retired this year. I no longer own any suits or sport coats and intend to never wear one again, so the current MDR attire is just fine for me. I have plenty of nice dress jeans, Kakis and golf shirts that I will wear any night I chose in the MDR. Do I care what you wear in the MDR?  No just let me wear what I want and don't pre judge or besmirch me for my choices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree completely with terrydtx and Judyrem. I retired from the airline business and wore a uniform for 20 years and dress clothes for the following 7. The last thing I want to do on vacation is dress up! I have ( IMO) very nice casual clothes and on my next cruise that’s all I’m bringing with me. I can fit everything in my carryon that way. I’ll throw in a few long necklaces and I’ll be good to go! I’d rather get room service on Gala nights.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 10:35 AM, iancal said:

We, thankfully, no longer have a reason to dress up since retirement.  And we do not.   We travel light and can dress to HAL's Gala evening standard.  Chinos and a collared shirt. Done and dusted for us.

 

Just because I still have suits, ties, and dress shirts hanging in the back of my closet along with several pairs of dress shoes does not in any way encourage me to pack them on a vacation.  The opposite is true. Nor am I interested in wearing any of them on the plane(s).

 

And nobody is asking you to to pack, schlep, or wear a suit. Your clothing choice (I bolded the sentence) meets HAL's dress code. 

 

1 hour ago, Judyrem said:

I went to Catholic school in the  50s and until the late 60s wearing jumpers and skirts for 12 years!   Until this day I can't stand to wear skirts and dresses.  Nice crops, pants, lovely tops work for me and I don't care anymore!

TO each his/her own.

 

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I wore business suits for 30 years for my job and after I changed professions 17 years ago, I wore Kakis and Polo  Golf shirts for work until I retired this year. I no longer own any suits or sport coats and intend to never wear one again, so the current MDR attire is just fine for me. I have plenty of nice dress jeans, Kakis and golf shirts that I will wear any night I chose in the MDR. Do I care what you wear in the MDR?  No just let me wear what I want and don't pre judge or besmirch me for my choices.

 

34 minutes ago, jmm1052 said:

I agree completely with terrydtx and Judyrem. I retired from the airline business and wore a uniform for 20 years and dress clothes for the following 7. The last thing I want to do on vacation is dress up! I have ( IMO) very nice casual clothes and on my next cruise that’s all I’m bringing with me. I can fit everything in my carryon that way. I’ll throw in a few long necklaces and I’ll be good to go! I’d rather get room service on Gala nights.  

 

These three posts are recent so I'm responding to them, but there are more like this. WHY do you feel the need to explain yourselves? Do you feel that you are in some way doing something that needs justification? What you describe (I bolded to make it easy for others to find what I'm referencing) meets HAL's standards. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

 

And nobody is asking you to to pack, schlep, or wear a suit. Your clothing choice (I bolded the sentence) meets HAL's dress code. 

 

 

 

 

These three posts are recent so I'm responding to them, but there are more like this. WHY do you feel the need to explain yourselves? Do you feel that you are in some way doing something that needs justification? What you describe (I bolded to make it easy for others to find what I'm referencing) meets HAL's standards. 

 

I thought this was a cruise critic "community"?  A community IMO has conversations and opinions, unless a moderator decides otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 6:54 PM, NSWP said:

Got off Noordam in Honolulu on 6 May.  I can tell you now, men were wearing shorts in the MDR and on Gala night, jeans and T shirts galore.  The odd tuxedo.   The dress was very laid back.

Sadly, that does not make it right. . . . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2019 at 7:51 AM, Judyrem said:

I went to Catholic school in the  50s and until the late 60s wearing jumpers and skirts for 12 years!   Until this day I can't stand to wear skirts and dresses.  Nice crops, pants, lovely tops work for me and I don't care anymore!

TO each his/her own.

LOL,  Katherine Hepburn RARELY wore skirts or dresses, yet was able to dress to the nines. . . . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...