The latest in chair hogging

flyers10

3 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Yip, you have a point ……. to be honest we don't do the whole chair saving thing at all so wouldn't even use a towel ….

Neither do we, I tend to be up quite early anyway so on sea days if I want a couple of chairs in the shade I head down and set up our things then bring some breakfast to the chairs and eat there. We tend to get a burger round the pool on a sea day and stay there all day. Other than that we use our balcony quite a lot. I’m on holiday to relax, not to get in to arguements with others.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

The names with the clips makes it easy for them to recognize their property when they have to retrieve it from Guest Relations, which is what they should have had to do. 😉

Very true

1 minute ago, yorky said:

Neither do we, I tend to be up quite early anyway so on sea days if I want a couple of chairs in the shade I head down and set up our things then bring some breakfast to the chairs and eat there. We tend to get a burger round the pool on a sea day and stay there all day. Other than that we use our balcony quite a lot. I’m on holiday to relax, not to get in to arguements with others.

Exactly - life is too short and holidays shorter :-)

These chair hogs arrived back to the loungers 3 hours later! Why didn’t someone inform the pool attendant and get their towels and cheeky name tags removed? I wonder if they left the chairs for lunch? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

Write the time on them, why?  The rules say no saving, they should take their stuff off and let others use the loungers.  Give the towels to the Hotel Director and have them retreive from him/her, so that he/she can explain to them that this is not allowed.

Since folks took pictures, wonder if they took those pictures to the Hotel Director and ask if this is the new policy?

LOL, if lots of people went to Guest Relations to ask for reservation cards, maybe someone would direct the pool butlers to remove the tags. Early into one of our cruises last year we realized the hogs were out in force. I filled out numerous comment cards and dropped them off in the box at Cafe al Baccio and at Guest Relations. The next day the pool butlers were leaving the 30 minute cards on the loungers and the chair hogs retreated into the darkness. I'm guessing that I wasn't the only complainer. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

LOL, if lots of people went to Guest Relations to ask for reservation cards, maybe someone would direct the pool butlers to remove the tags. Early into one of our cruises last year we realized the hogs were out in force. I filled out numerous comment cards and dropped them off in the box at Cafe al Baccio and at Guest Relations. The next day the pool butlers were leaving the 30 minute cards on the loungers and the chair hogs retreated into the darkness. I'm guessing that I wasn't the only complainer. 

You did the right thing.  If people on the ship and off the ship don't complain, then it will continue to happen.  Hopefully, if enough people take it up with the Hotel Director, he/she will get tired of hearing it and do something.

BTW, I sent in the pictures to corporate asking if this is now allowed and hopefully others do it as well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NLH Arizona said:

You did the right thing.  If people on the ship and off the ship don't complain, then it will continue to happen.  Hopefully, if enough people take it up with the Hotel Director, he/she will get tired of hearing it and do something.

BTW, I sent in the pictures to corporate asking if this is now allowed and hopefully others do it as well.

The pool butlers just need to do their jobs and enforce the rules. We all pay lots of money for a relaxing, stress free cruise and should not have to be bothered and get involved like this.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bkbarrym said:

The pool butlers just need to do their jobs and enforce the rules. We all pay lots of money for a relaxing, stress free cruise and should not have to be bothered and get involved like this.

Well, hopefully there will be some that will get involved, which will hopefully mean we can all have a relaxing, stress free vacation while sitting in a lounger free of chair hogs.

• Like 2

We were on a 15 night M class cruise and noticed that the same 'crowd' had the raised area with the better loungers every day all day. Well into week 2 hubby and I got up very early and set up on the NICE loungers and even ate there. It was hilarious to see 2 folks glaring at us as if we stole their property. They repeatedly  came by whilst we ignored them. By early afternoon we had relaxed enough so I got up and found a nice couple who were wondering around and offered up our spots.  It was a good day and we still chuckle about it .. We have never been chair hogs but at least this was legit as our spots were not vacated for more them 30 mins. at a time

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I continue to wonder where to put a towel, shoes and room card when I just want to swim.  At least my children are old enough to be alone in the pool but a few years back, I asked why there are no cubbies or shelves for 3 pair of shoes and towels.  I needed to stay near the pool with them but had no place to put anything.  Shelves would also be a great place to hold a hog's belongings. I hate sitting in the sun but do enjoy a little time in the pool on a hot day. I always feel like I should have a place to put my things other than taking up a chair.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruiserjt said:

I continue to wonder where to put a towel, shoes and room card when I just want to swim.  At least my children are old enough to be alone in the pool but a few years back, I asked why there are no cubbies or shelves for 3 pair of shoes and towels.  I needed to stay near the pool with them but had no place to put anything.  Shelves would also be a great place to hold a hog's belongings. I hate sitting in the sun but do enjoy a little time in the pool on a hot day. I always feel like I should have a place to put my things other than taking up a chair.

I think there is a difference between leaving your stuff while you are swimming and staking your claim before the sun is up with no intention of using the chairs for hours. The first is understandable and something anyone would do. The second is just plain rude.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Prewelli said:

It is day 2 of chairgate on Equinox - what will happen today?  Or is it a port day when all will be calm with chairs in abundance?

Never seen a problem on port days, you find few people stay there n the ship

17 hours ago, gold1953 said:

We were on a 15 night M class cruise and noticed that the same 'crowd' had the raised area with the better loungers every day all day. Well into week 2 hubby and I got up very early and set up on the NICE loungers and even ate there. It was hilarious to see 2 folks glaring at us as if we stole their property. They repeatedly  came by whilst we ignored them. By early afternoon we had relaxed enough so I got up and found a nice couple who were wondering around and offered up our spots.  It was a good day and we still chuckle about it .. We have never been chair hogs but at least this was legit as our spots were not vacated for more them 30 mins. at a time

Well done, love the down east take on this situation.

I really hate it when people stake out the loungers RIGHT BY the pool and leave them unused for eternity...

Some of us might have children small enough to swim on their own, but with the need to have a constant adult eye on them.  When all of the loungers by the pool are "occupied" by novels and towels it makes it awfully hard to find a place to supervise your kids.  (Which is what we all want, right?  Kids who are swimming , or doing anything else, to be SUPERVISED!?) 

Celebrity should implement a 'no chair hogging' policy and enforce it - simple as that

put visible signs around the pool / solarium that says 'reserving loungers / seats is NOT permitted' and put it in the daily 'celebrity today'

5 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

Celebrity should implement a 'no chair hogging' policy and enforce it - simple as that

put visible signs around the pool / solarium that says 'reserving loungers / seats is NOT permitted' and put it in the daily 'celebrity today'

Celebrity only seems to enforce rules that would otherwise cost them money.  If it is just an inconvenience for others, they do not seem concerned.  

On my last cruise, one lady was trying to save 10 seats in the lounge at sail away time.  I had been sitting there before the drill, and went back after the drill, and found all the seats taken with jackets, but only one person there.  I moved the jackets and sat down, and refused to move when she complained.  

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 11:58 AM, hcat said:

Chair hogs often "reserve"  both sunny and shady locations...and then spend most of the day away from both ...They also do the " reserve and save" routine in the Solarium and the theater. Selfish and greedy!

On pool days, we rise early, eat  breakfast,  pick a  shady spot or a Solarium lounger.   We enjoy the pools before the crowds arrive and relocate to  more peaceful areas! 

Interesting to watch the hogs in action!

I have seen those doing the shade and sunny routine also. The most gutsy thing that people  do is reserve seats and leave the ship for shore excursions. Saw that on the Summit a couple years back when we stayed on board and did an afternoon excursion.

Edited by dkjretired
  • Thanks 1

The way I see it....

The problem is that there is not enough seating around the pool vis a vis the number of pax that wish to sit there.

If strict rules were enforced, the early birds would still find a way to save their seats, even if it meant sitting in them from a very early hour. They would take turns having lunch or breakfast or as one poster said, they would eat at the lounge chair.

Anyone arriving at 10 am for example would still be out of luck.

If I were a sun worshiper, I think I would choose a beach vacation. People save chairs there, too, but at least there are more of them to go around.

35 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

Celebrity only seems to enforce rules that would otherwise cost them money.  If it is just an inconvenience for others, they do not seem concerned.

It would seem that there are enough threads on this forum about this subject that it is an irritant to many (perhaps not the chair hogs) so perhaps X should take it more seriously.

It shouldn't be up to the paying customers to manage.

Sorry to say but on my recent Reflection cruise I had been on my sun bed near the pool for over 3 hours next to me were  2 unused saved beds with towels beach bag and a book. It was a sea day so lots of people wandering around looking for somewhere to sit, the pool attendant happened to stand next to me so I mentioned this to him his response was “ we aren’t allowed to move personal items”  and off he went. The so called owners came back over an hour later gathered up their belongings and went.