The latest in chair hogging

flyers10

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Thinking of starting a company,  SAV-A-CHAIR Inc.

Will go up to pool deck around 5am and put out signs that say "This lounger is reserved but willing to sell for $5".  Place them on 50 chairs and see if deck patrol reacts or anyone actually offers to pay.  Might make enough for a free cruise.  😁

Now there is a idea 😂😂😂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

If you are in the pool, that’s one thing. Saving a chair for yourself while you are swimming is fine. But going inside to lunch, no. Give up your chair and pick a new one when you come back from eating

Or bring your lunch back to the lounger.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, phabric said:

I fine it hard when I cruise solo.  I put my stuff on a chair and I am in the water for 1/2 hour or more.  I hope when I come out no one has moved my stuff.  No one knows where I am, in the water or have saved the chair.  

I always ask those seated next to me, if they would be so kind to watch my lounger, because I'm going to grab lunch to bring back or going to use the restroom.  I'm sure if you ask them to watch yours while in the pool, they would probably be pleased to.

• Like 1

On a HAL cruise last year, my sister and I walked to the theater to get seats for the show that started 25 minutes later while our husbands went to the men's room.  We found some good seats and sat down, leaving room for our husbands.  A lady from two rows up came down and tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to please move, she was saving those seats for people in her group who were still in the dining room.  She was watching great seats on three rows like a hawk, asking everyone to move, and had not placed anything on the seats to save them (probably the best seats on that side of the theater). Some people refused, and she acted huffy, and when her group of 20+ came in, she was pointing and griping. She was quite a bit older, so I just moved on around to the side.  I felt sorry for her that she thought she had the right to do that. I just thought, "Bless her heart!" 

I never reserve a chair/lounger if I go to lunch, instead I offer it to anyone walking around looking for one. The chair/lounger is not mine for the day just because I bagged it first. If everyone remembered that, there wouldn't be all this ill will. Share the space, don't hog it. A lot of people would like to sit by the pool for a short time, maybe just an hour or so, but with people sitting there ALL day, and reserving the space while at lunch, in the pool, doing whatever they want to do away from their lounger/chair, very few people get to experience a poolside hour or two. I've watched people move from their 'reserved' lounger by the pool to their other 'reserved' lounger in the shade all day long. These people show themselves up for what they are, selfish and inconsiderate. I have decided if I see this behaviour again I will say something to the pool attendants as it is unacceptable on so many levels. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I just think 30 minutes is not a long time this or for lunch. I spend my whole working day grabbing as I go / rushing food at work.

There are X number of people on a ship and only Y number of sunbeds, that is the simple truth of a cruise ship.  If you don't think 30 minutes is sufficient to go have lunch, would you think 30 minutes was not long enough if you were standing around waiting for a sunbed that was holding a towel with no passenger in sight?  There is nothing a fellow passenger should be doing on a cruise ship that takes in excess of 30 minutes to complete while they are away from their coveted sunbed. 

1. Bathroom - it is hard to imagine anyone needing 30 minutes for this, if so I would recommend getting more fiber in their diet.
  2. Hot tub - I believe the recommended time in a hot tub is 15-30 minutes. so that fits.
  3. Swimming - having been on many cruises I can say that greater than 95% of people don't swim, rather they soak in the pool.  Either way I would think that 30 minutes is sufficient for this activity.
  4. Snack from one of the pool area venues - 5-10 minutes in line on a busy day and back to the sunbed.
  5. Lunch/Dinner in a dining venue - they have left the pool area and are no longer in need of a sunbed.  When I go to the movies, I don't get up and go to a nearby restaurant for lunch and then come back and expect to reenter and retake my seat.  BTW, as a general public note, for those of us in a dining venue enjoying lunch, WE DON'T WANT TO SEE ANYONE IN THEIR SWIMMING ATTIRE.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, jtsongas said:

There are X number of people on a ship and only Y number of sunbeds, that is the simple truth of a cruise ship.  If you don't think 30 minutes is sufficient to go have lunch, would you think 30 minutes was not long enough if you were standing around waiting for a sunbed that was holding a towel with no passenger in sight?  There is nothing a fellow passenger should be doing on a cruise ship that takes in excess of 30 minutes to complete while they are away from their coveted sunbed. 

1. Bathroom - it is hard to imagine anyone needing 30 minutes for this, if so I would recommend getting more fiber in their diet. SOMETIMES IT TAKES A WHILE TO FINISH THE CROSSWORD PUZZLE
  2. Hot tub - I believe the recommended time in a hot tub is 15-30 minutes. so that fits.  I"M NOT SURE WE NEED PEOPLE TIMING HOT TUB USE
  3. Swimming - having been on many cruises I can say that greater than 95% of people don't swim, rather they soak in the pool.  Either way I would think that 30 minutes is sufficient for this activity.  I LIKE TO STAY IN THE POOL> WE DON"T NEED PEOPLE TELLING US HOW MUCH TIME IS APPROPRIATE IN THE POOL
  4. Snack from one of the pool area venues - 5-10 minutes in line on a busy day and back to the sunbed.
  5. Lunch/Dinner in a dining venue - they have left the pool area and are no longer in need of a sunbed.  When I go to the movies, I don't get up and go to a nearby restaurant for lunch and then come back and expect to reenter and retake my seat.  BTW, as a general public note, for those of us in a dining venue enjoying lunch,   WE DON'T WANT TO SEE ANYONE IN THEIR SWIMMING ATTIRE.    IF ITS A REALLY GOOD LOOKING YELLOW BIKINI IT"S OK TO WEAR IN THE DINING VENUE

I'm not sure I agree with you on everything.  Issues noted in RED

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

IF ITS A REALLY GOOD LOOKING YELLOW BIKINI IT"S OK TO WEAR IN THE DINING VENUE

I'm not sure I agree with you on everything.  Issues noted in RED

Please don't turn this into a dress code thread... 😉

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, kearney said:

Boy I see a $ opportunity for the cruise line. Rent a timer that can only be set by staff. Hour timer... no charge.....; Two hour timer... rent for $..... three hour timer... rent for $$. Timer would clip onto chair... have unique # assigned to passenger. So if taken... and passenger returns to someone else being in chair... look around for timer with number assigned to you....   Then.... if you are not sitting on a chair... anyone can use it...    Not sure such a timer currently exists... but seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to develop. I can't sit in the sun... so perhaps the lowest level should be two hours.... then you pay for three hour timer ...etc. .... just a thought.

This idea would be good for Celebrity generating more revenue on board so keep it quiet!

36 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Does anyone know how the handle chair hogs in the Suite Retreat Area?  Certainly there must be some passengers that want a lounger in some specific location and leave their stuff there all day.

I never saw any indication of chairs being hogged in the Retreat on the Edge. When we were there I observed guests removing their towels from the loungers when they were finished. I also don’t think the majority of the suite guests spent all day in the Retreat pool area. 😉

20 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I never saw any indication of chairs being hogged in the Retreat on the Edge. When we were there I observed guests removing their towels from the loungers when they were finished. I also don’t think the majority of the suite guests spent all day in the Retreat pool area. 😉

To be fair I would very much doubt there is any need for chair hogging in the Retreat as it is only for suite class the majority of suites have lovely balconies and when I saw the Retreat there were plenty of chairs!  If you are paying for a suite and special area you certainly would not expect chair hogging.  Sadly it is the rest of the passengers who are not suite class who have to do find a chair game.  To comment on the status of chairs in the Retreat areas is rather rubbing it in.

• Like 1

Well, I wandered over in to this thread at my peril and made the suggestion that 30 minutes was not a long period of time to be away from a sunbed. Looking at some of the responses it is obvious that this topic makes the dress code discussions look positively friendly. I still think that 30 minutes is not a long time in the great scheme of things, but each to their own opinion.

Am wandering off again now to talk about EDGE with my EDGY friends

2 hours ago, Prewelli said:

To be fair I would very much doubt there is any need for chair hogging in the Retreat as it is only for suite class the majority of suites have lovely balconies and when I saw the Retreat there were plenty of chairs!  If you are paying for a suite and special area you certainly would not expect chair hogging.  Sadly it is the rest of the passengers who are not suite class who have to do find a chair game.  To comment on the status of chairs in the Retreat areas is rather rubbing it in.

I don’t understand the “rubbing it in comment”, I was simply answering the previous question.

12 hours ago, sailorfool57 said:

On a HAL cruise last year, my sister and I walked to the theater to get seats for the show that started 25 minutes later while our husbands went to the men's room.  We found some good seats and sat down, leaving room for our husbands.  A lady from two rows up came down and tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to please move, she was saving those seats for people in her group who were still in the dining room.  She was watching great seats on three rows like a hawk, asking everyone to move, and had not placed anything on the seats to save them (probably the best seats on that side of the theater). Some people refused, and she acted huffy, and when her group of 20+ came in, she was pointing and griping. She was quite a bit older, so I just moved on around to the side.  I felt sorry for her that she thought she had the right to do that. I just thought, "Bless her heart!" 

You moved? Not me. I just tell the person that seat saving is not allowed. They make an announcement every night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marelaine said:

You moved? Not me. I just tell the person that seat saving is not allowed. They make an announcement every night.

Agree!  No way would we move. We always get to the theater early for the pre show entertainment. Watching a chair hog frantically trying to save multiple seats in a row. Always good for a good laugh. 🤣

Edited by davekathy
  • Haha 1

On 4/14/2019 at 7:42 AM, the_dylaness said:

Oh dear.

You know, it's interesting, a colleague of mine who I normally think of as very polite, respectful of others, etc. just got back from her first cruise (on RCCL.)  I'd helped her some with the planning so was very pleased when she returned and told me what a great time she had.

Her only complaint? "The pool decks are really crowded and too small for the size of ship."  OK, yes, agree.

But, her solution? "It really wasn't a problem for us, we just got up early and put our things on a chair, went down to have breakfast, came back later etc... but those people coming out at 10am have nowhere to sit! You have to get up early and save a chair!" 

I almost passed out.

So, I think there are two basic lines of thought on this.  I am in the camp of "no chair hogging"- if I am going to leave for more than 20-30 m or so I just take my things so someone else can enjoy.  She falls into the camp, I guess, of "well, these are the rules of the game, so if I want to enjoy the cruise I have to play by this set of rules."  I don't agree, but I can understand where she is coming from.

The problem is....if nobody does this, then probably almost everyone will be able to get a seat when wanted.

But so many people claim chairs they are not using that it is hard to find a free chair.

14 minutes ago, nyllrap said:

The problem is....if nobody does this, then probably almost everyone will be able to get a seat when wanted.

But so many people claim chairs they are not using that it is hard to find a free chair.

Especially on Celebrity due to no checking out or in of pool towels. When they are done with the lounger they selfishly leave their filthy used pool towel on the lounger knowing good and well they aren't going to return.  

4 hours ago, Prewelli said:

To be fair I would very much doubt there is any need for chair hogging in the Retreat as it is only for suite class....

We’re booked on our 1st Celebrity cruise next March.  Are you serious that there is a private area just for Suite guests ?

if so, I will need to rethink whether we’ll cancel the cruise.

When we go on a Carnival.cruise, they have a private area called Serenity that’s open to all guests

1 minute ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

We’re booked on our 1st Celebrity cruise next March.  Are you serious that there is a private area just for Suite guests ?

When we go on a Carnival.cruise, they have a private area called Serenity that’s open to all guests

Can you explain.... if there is a 'private area' that suggests it is limited in some way... do guest have to pay to go there... so that it is available to suite or non-suite provided you pay?... otherwise it seems that it is not private but public.

15 minutes ago, kearney said:

Can you explain.... if there is a 'private area' that suggests it is limited in some way... do guest have to pay to go there... so that it is available to suite or non-suite provided you pay?... otherwise it seems that it is not private but public.

I understood that the Serenity area on Carnival was open to all adults, i.e., "limited" in that one must be older than 21 to gain access, same as the Solarium on Celebrity.  I could be wrong, since I have never been on Carnival and have only one trip on Celebrity. (Another Celebrity cruise booked for December).

26 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

RC also has reserved seating for diamond plus, pinnacle, key and suite guests on the pool deck, theater and studio B. 

27 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Especially on Celebrity due to no checking out or in of pool towels. When they are done with the lounger they selfishly leave their filthy used pool towel on the lounger knowing good and well they aren't going to return.  

Even if the go to checking out pool towels, you can still use the books from the library get something to hold your chair.