Cruise Critic Community
acesneights99

Internet Perk may be worthless and no recourse

With the new Perk system, DO NOT TAKE FOUR PERKS. If the Internet is down for your entire cruise or most of it, you have NO RECOURSE!

Customer Service says it's a FREE PERK. Since it's free, you are out of luck. Too bad, so sad.

If you take TWO PERKS and buy Internet, then you may be entitled to a refund, but FREE Internet is FREE, so Celebrity won't stand behind it.

Since there is a fare difference between TWO PERKS and FOUR PERKS (and no perks) clearly the INTERNET is NOT FREE.

BEWARE, after 19 Celebrity cruises, your LOYALTY provides no benefits at Customer Service, not even the courtesy of a reply to an email about the problem.

If Celebrity responds to this, I will update.

What ship had the internet down for the whole cruise?  I had some ships/locations where connection  was sporadic at times but thankfully never had the internet down for a cruise.  Are they issuing refunds to those that purchased internet?

33 minutes ago, acesneights99 said:

This is actually correct, and really unfortunate.  But this is the case for all perks - don’t use, you lose. 

Just to add .. In no way are the perks offered free. They are available to us for an additional amount of money.

26 minutes ago, jelayne said:

What ship had the internet down for the whole cruise?  I had some ships/locations where connection  was sporadic at times but thankfully never had the internet down for a cruise.  Are they issuing refunds to those that purchased internet?

Infinity 3/16/19 - 3/21.

The routers would drop the connection every 2-3 min. Even in the iLounge! Only iLounge Macs worked because they were hardwired. The connection SPEED was OK. The WiFi was non-existent. All of the devices we had on Infinity worked for 15 days straight, no drops on Eclipse, 3 days later.

I could not even upload small documents because, by the time I got the upload page and was ready to click submit, the connection would be dropped.

Also, 8 Macs for 2200 passengers is nearly useless. Plus the iMacs wipe your session so 2-factor authentication was impossible.

Refunds? Don't know. 

27 minutes ago, could travel all the time said:

This is actually correct, and really unfortunate.  But this is the case for all perks - don’t use, you lose. 

Just to add .. In no way are the perks offered free. They are available to us for an additional amount of money.

But, if the perk is unavailable or unusable, then don't use, you lose shouldn't apply.

This is the worst Customer Service we have ever had from Celebrity. Perhaps after 19 cruises, it would be polite to say something like, I'm sorry I can't help, would you like to speak to my supervisor or the Head of Customer Service or anybody with the ability to make some recompense. 

Customer Service 101 would be to forward the call or have someone in authority call back.

I was on this cruise as well and although the connection was occasionally sporadic during high traffic times I would not categorize it as useless. MOST of the time it was fine. We purchased the surf plan for three devices.

Wow, I too was on the 03/16 sailing of the Infinity but I had ZERO problems with the wifi.  I didn’t have the unlimited package but did manage to use almost all of my 90 minute package on my phone and iPad.  I mostly used it in my cabin (deck 9 near the bow) so I can’t speak to all areas of the ship.

1 hour ago, Swampbabe said:

1 hour ago, RickT said:

2 hours ago, could travel all the time said:

But, if the perk is unavailable or unusable, then don't use, you lose shouldn't apply.

This is the worst Customer Service we have ever had from Celebrity. Perhaps after 19 cruises, it would be polite to say something like, I'm sorry I can't help, would you like to speak to my supervisor or the Head of Customer Service or anybody with the ability to make some recompense. 

Customer Service 101 would be to forward the call or have someone in authority call back.

I was on this cruise as well and although the connection was occasionally sporadic during high traffic times I would not categorize it as useless. MOST of the time it was fine. We purchased the surf plan for three devices.

Sporadic is useless when you are trying to upload a file. Or take a timed exam. Or trying to research a topic.

If you are just downloading email, sporadic may be adequate. If you can't upload replies, even that may be useless.

Some people need reliable Internet when cruising. I realize that many people just want to get away from all electronic devices, but just because one is taking a course or is on call for important but non-emergency problems doesn't mean that we can't cruise.

1 minute ago, acesneights99 said:

Sporadic is useless when you are trying to upload a file. Or take a timed exam. Or trying to research a topic.

If you are just downloading email, sporadic may be adequate. If you can't upload replies, even that may be useless.

Some people need reliable Internet when cruising. I realize that many people just want to get away from all electronic devices, but just because one is taking a course or is on call for important but non-emergency problems doesn't mean that we can't cruise.

My husband always has to be available, so I get it. He used the connection for work and it was fine. Personally, I would never attempt an online exam with ANY internet other than my own.

1 hour ago, RickT said:

Wow, I too was on the 03/16 sailing of the Infinity but I had ZERO problems with the wifi.  I didn’t have the unlimited package but did manage to use almost all of my 90 minute package on my phone and iPad.  I mostly used it in my cabin (deck 9 near the bow) so I can’t speak to all areas of the ship.

I tried most public areas of the ship. I'm glad you were able to use almost 90 minutes over 5 days. But I needed 70 continuous minutes. And I needed to upload assignments. And I needed to answer occasional work problems and research answers.

Where is the Infinity sailing.   I have never found internet at sea to be reliable but

was able to use for emails and generic surfing.   It is certainly very slow and not even 1/100th of what I get at home.   If you absolutely need it for business, I would suggest a land vacation though even the internet connection speed at Marriott properties can be sketchy.

12 minutes ago, Swampbabe said:

My husband always has to be available, so I get it. He used the connection for work and it was fine. Personally, I would never attempt an online exam with ANY internet other than my own.

Your husband may have better equipment or perhaps you were in a suite where they may have upgraded the routers.

My equipment worked perfectly for 15 days on Eclipse. immediately after.

Personally, I would PREFER never to take an online exam on any Internet but my own.

But Marie, the people are hungry because they have no bread. Then let them eat cake!

Are you actually enrolled in online courses? Do you choose your cruises based on being at home for online exams? I take intense one course at time online courses.

In any case, this is the first time in 19 cruises where the Internet was unreliable/useless. 

But that isn't even the issue. One lesson is never sail Infinity or any Celebrity ship that hasn't been updated.

My original point was that I paid for unlimited Internet for two and it was unusable for the purpose I purchased it for. I think I am entitled to a refund or credit for the unusable service. The fact that it was a PERK paid for with a higher cruise fare shouldn't allow Celebrity to blow me off. 

14 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Where is the Infinity sailing.   I have never found internet at sea to be reliable but

was able to use for emails and generic surfing.   It is certainly very slow and not even 1/100th of what I get at home.   If you absolutely need it for business, I would suggest a land vacation though even the internet connection speed at Marriott properties can be sketchy.

I beg to differ. I have always found the Internet at sea to be adequate. It won't support streaming or Skype or probably VOIP. Pages load more slowly than on land.

If you get gigabit service at home 1% is still 10 Mbs. Dial-up was 28.8K, so even the Internet at sea is 400 times faster.

Your post also misses my point. It was not the SPEED that was a problem, it was the local WiFi that was defective.

It's like having a Maserati with an 8oz gas tank. In the 15 seconds before it runs out of gas, it goes like a bat out of hell. But it's going to take forever to go 200 miles.

6 minutes ago, acesneights99 said:

Your husband may have better equipment or perhaps you were in a suite where they may have upgraded the routers.

My equipment worked perfectly for 15 days on Eclipse. immediately after.

Personally, I would PREFER never to take an online exam on any Internet but my own.

But Marie, the people are hungry because they have no bread. Then let them eat cake!

Are you actually enrolled in online courses? Do you choose your cruises based on being at home for online exams? I take intense one course at time online courses.

In any case, this is the first time in 19 cruises where the Internet was unreliable/useless. 

But that isn't even the issue. One lesson is never sail Infinity or any Celebrity ship that hasn't been updated.

My original point was that I paid for unlimited Internet for two and it was unusable for the purpose I purchased it for. I think I am entitled to a refund or credit for the unusable service. The fact that it was a PERK paid for with a higher cruise fare shouldn't allow Celebrity to blow me off. 

My husband answers emails from his phone as he cannot use his laptop on board because it’s not a secure network. We did not have a suite so that’s not the issue. 

And no, I don’t take online courses, no need. I already have a graduate degree. You are trying to get a refund for something that you didn’t “pay for”. You’re making yourself nuts unnecessarily. Next time, don’t cruise when you need reliable internet access in the middle of the ocean.

6 minutes ago, acesneights99 said:

3 minutes ago, could travel all the time said:

acesnekghts99,

I feel your pain and I agree with you. For some reason, Celebrity insists these perks are free and they owe you nothing. I don’t get it. 

I don't get it either. Hence my point that the Internet PERK is worthless. And hence my warning to people to avoid the Internet perk if you actually plan to use it.

I am hoping somebody at Celebrity will read this thread and possibly change this passenger hostile attitude.

1 minute ago, Swampbabe said:

And no, I don’t take online courses, no need. I already have a graduate degree. You are trying to get a refund for something that you didn’t “pay for”. You’re making yourself nuts unnecessarily. Next time, don’t cruise when you need reliable internet access in the middle of the ocean.

I already have a doctorate, but I decided to get a business degree online.

It is untrue that I am asking for a refund for something I didn't pay for. I PAID for an upgrade from BETTER to BEST. Most of that upgrade was for Unlimited Internet for TWO.

My point was that that is a BAD DEAL. Better to PAY for the Internet, so that when Celebrity can't deliver, you can get a REFUND of the amount you paid for the Internet.

Celebrity advertises its new EXCELERATE Internet service.

I am trying to disseminate the information that it doesn't always work. And if you pay for it as a PERK, you have no recourse. 

Internet connectivity in the middle of the ocean far from a cell tower always has the potential to crap out. I get what you’re saying but as far as Celebrity is concerned it was included in your original fare. As you say, live and learn.

11 minutes ago, acesneights99 said:

I already have a doctorate, but I decided to get a business degree online.

It is untrue that I am asking for a refund for something I didn't pay for. I PAID for an upgrade from BETTER to BEST. Most of that upgrade was for Unlimited Internet for TWO.

My point was that that is a BAD DEAL. Better to PAY for the Internet, so that when Celebrity can't deliver, you can get a REFUND of the amount you paid for the Internet.

Celebrity advertises its new EXCELERATE Internet service.

I am trying to disseminate the information that it doesn't always work. And if you pay for it as a PERK, you have no recourse. 

I’d be willing to bet even if you bought unlimited WiFi at full price, they wouldn’t refund you unless hundreds of other passengers complained too. Otherwise they would likely tell you it was an issue with your device, not their internet. 

Just now, Swampbabe said:

Internet connectivity in the middle of the ocean far from a cell tower always has the potential to crap out. I get what you’re saying but as far as Celebrity is concerned it was included in your original fare. As you say, live and learn.

One last try to explain. Internet Connectivity is fine. The hardwire Macs in the iLounge worked perfectly. You can get high-speed Internet all cruise if you can sit at the Macs in iLounge. 8 Macs for 2000+ passengers

My complaint is with the WiFi. The WiFi dropped repeatedly.

An analogy. It's like having electric power only in the iLounge. The outlets in every other part of the ship including many/most cabins are dead.

Just now, DebInAntigua said:

I’d be willing to bet even if you bought unlimited WiFi at full price, they wouldn’t refund you unless hundreds of other passengers complained too. Otherwise they would likely tell you it was an issue with your device, not their internet. 

Many other passengers complained. The iLounge staff could not fix the problem.

ALL MY DEVICES worked perfectly 2 days later on the Eclipse!!! For 15 DAYS straight.

You may be right that there is nothing Celebrity will do. In fact, they have done nothing.

But it is my First Amendment right to spread the truth about Celebrity Internet on Cruise Critic.

Sorry things aren't working and that you had poor customer service in your situation, but let's leave the US Constitution out of this discussion please.

5 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

They probably would not give a refund, but OBC for a future cruise would at least show that they appreciate people that have taken 19 Celebrity Cruises.

And another point, if they are willing to screw over their most loyal cruisers, what chance do new Celebrity Cruisers have?

And if their vaunted Customer Service now has the Compassion of the IRS and the Efficiency of the Post Office, I want to shout it from the rooftops.

“I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this any more!”

18 minutes ago, acesneights99 said:

They probably would not give a refund, but OBC for a future cruise would at least show that they appreciate people that have taken 19 Celebrity Cruises.

And another point, if they are willing to screw over their most loyal cruisers, what chance do new Celebrity Cruisers have?

And if their vaunted Customer Service now has the Compassion of the IRS and the Efficiency of the Post Office, I want to shout it from the rooftops.

“I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this any more!”

Then move on to another cruise line where you believe there will be better internet for your requirements AND better customer service to address issues like this, which you or others may have.

bon voayge

p.s. did you try wifi in the ports you visited? That might have been a solution, not long term of course, yet a solution to gain access to your courses without dropping.