Restaurant recommendations in Singapore

Sachmo

The best part about eating in Singapore is eating at the hawker centers, or partaking inexpensive street food. Most people say that a must eat is to eat hawker Chan soychicken.   Cheapest michelin starred meal in the world. Google it and you will find locations.

Chili crab is pretty good, but it is ridiculously overpriced in Singapore. You are looking at something like $60 per crab.  It's not really worth it, but you should do it if you are all about saying that you had the experience.   There will be a strip of restaurants near the Marina, and you can just find something that appeals to you.

Try Fatties in Bencoolen, Just over the road from the Bencoolen Ibis hotel and easy to get to by train. .   Old Singapore institution, not fancy but cold beer and good food.  Old Fattie died years ago but on last visit young Fattie now running the show.  Old haunt for airline staff stopping over in Singapore.

Each and every time that when I was in Singapore, I would go to Palm Beach Seafood Restaurant in One Fullerton, nesr the Merlion Park. I go for crabs. A dinner for 2 will be about USD 100, crabs but no steamed fish. Very popular and I would strongly recommend a reservation. Some of my friends got turned away and had to return the next day. It has a website, google it, and I think it will take a reservation on line.

Enjoy.

We really need to know what you are looking for. Singapore is really a tale of two cities. You can find great tourist & business food places  with World Class food  and a price to go with it.  All the best International Restaurants are  in Singapore. Mortons Steakhouse is a great place, last trip for four was about  $475 SGD.  Wolfgang Puck, Gordon Ramsey have wonderful places here.  Most better hotels have great restaurants, the Ritz Carlton is very near your hotel food is great.  But all these places carry large prices with them. 

Or you can go local and get great food at a faction of these higher end white table cloth  restaurants.  Singapore has the lowest cost Michelin Star Restaurant in the Word. A meal with cost you under USD$5 dollars with a drink. Many great local places,  at very reasonable prices. Easy to find and everywhere once out of the main tourists zones.  So please tell us what style and level you are looking for.  

Why would anyone from the US want to eat at the International restaurant chains mentioned when they can eat at them at home (for us Chicago or Naples)?. When in Singapore we want to eat great local food. For us, travel is an adventure & we want to experience the local flavor.

Edited by dabear
  • Thanks 1

lol, so true.  There is almost no reason to eat at an expensive international restaurant in Singapore. OP lives on Marco Island, and everything that you can want is there or in Miami.

My advice is that you eat anywhere that you see a food stall/hawker center.  You'll encounter a lot of them.  They won't look flashy, but the food will be good.  You see white chicken hanging in the window, eat it.  Someone is making waffles with peanut butter, get one.  Old lady sauteing shrimp with vegetables for $6, have at it.

My perspective for SIN was that if there were a lot of locals that were in line for it, I should try it too.  You can eat crab claws when you get back home anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our taxi driver from the airport recommended a hawker centre near the hotel. He said 'Remember GnC - good n cheap'.  He was right, we ate there twice,  dinner for two with beer was $12.  We tried seafood stir fry and chicken with rice the first evening and enjoyed them so much that we visited the same stalls again for slightly different dishes.

The nearest hawker centre to the Conrad is Makansutra Gluttons Bay. From the Conrad go into the Millenium Walk shopping centre, up to the top level then across the walkway to Marina Square. There is an exit in the middle of Marina Square that comes out at the top of a plaza with steps down to street level. I think it's all signposted. Cross the street and you will be there. There is plenty of choice there and most of it is cheap. Great satay.

I second the recommendation for Hawker Centers in Singapore.

We love them and the food is fabulous...

They are part of Singapore and a must do. You can find regular restaurants in any city...

However, one place I can recommend close to the Conrad is Din Tai Fung in Suntec City Shopping Mall.

Fabulous place for Dim Sum/Dumplings: www.dintaifung.com.sg

IMG_3823.thumb.JPG.f5ce27f4356bc9e68d0b8a6bb2a31507.JPG

12 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I second the recommendation for Hawker Centers in Singapore.

We love them and the food is fabulous...

They are part of Singapore and a must do. You can find regular restaurants in any city...

However, one place I can recommend close to the Conrad is Din Tai Fung in Suntec City Shopping Mall.

Fabulous place for Dim Sum/Dumplings: www.dintaifung.com.sg

IMG_3823.thumb.JPG.f5ce27f4356bc9e68d0b8a6bb2a31507.JPG

I'll second that. Din Tai Fung is one of my favourite restaurant chains in Asia. They are in quite a few cities and we usually seek them out when travelling, even though we have one very close to where we live in Sydney. Some of the menu options do differ from country to country. The Suntec City restaurant must be new though, it wasn't there a few years ago, I used to go to the Raffles Plaza one.

DTF is awesome.

IMO, the only thing to eat there are the truffle and pork dumplings.  Get 15 of them and have that be your whole meal!  Pop one in your mouth and just let it melt.  yummmmmmmmmmm

There are over 10,000 restaurants in Singapore & most are good or would not survive in food mad Singapore,

You are staying in Suntec City area near Marina area - there is a very large airconditioned food area undeground around the Wealth Fountain that is just over the road from Conrad Hilton.  See bronze ring in picture.

Also near you at Marina Mandarin hotel [not Marina Bay Sands] is there Aqua restaurant that runs as a buffet at weekends & some other times.  This costs about S$70 ++ pp but bookings are required.

Another is Straits Kitchen at Hyatt & Carousel at the ex Holiday Inn on Scotts.

Conrad & Suntech city.jpg

• 1 month later...

You might find yourself on Orchard Rd shopping. You might find yourself at ION Plaza, there is a MTR station there. In the lower lever is a food area... a modern day  version of a Hawker Mkt called Food Opera.... Your tongue can literally travel the world there. 

Edited by Denverbri69

On 4/23/2019 at 9:34 AM, loeb said:

You might do a search on youtube for recommendations, here are a couple, first one is old, but provide some history of the food in Singapore

It's 2am and I'm watching Mikey Chen food videos.  I'm hungry :classic_tongue: