Tips while in a suite

CaveCreekTraveler

11 minutes ago, CaveCreekTraveler said:

My May Alaskan cruise will be my first in a suite. Although I have prepaid tips through perks, I know you tip the butler and others but not sure who and how much is recommended. Can someone help me out?

The Butlers tip is included in your prepaid tips. Additional tips are up to you and only you can determine that depending on how much you used them. I tipped the Michaels Club Concierge and the bartender in Michaels club. You may also tip your waiter and the Maitre’d in Luminae. All up to you

• Thanks 1

We like to tip extra , tip depends on what they do for you , last cruise concierge did nothing for us so no tip, servers in micheals were great so we tipped them other most drinks, also service in luminae was great so we normally tip after every meal. We normally tip butler extra at end of cruise. You will love food in luminae and service in both luminae and Micheals, if there is some wine that you like that is not there they will try to stock it. 

• Thanks 1

On the last night at Luminae we tipped the maitre'd after he assured us that tips were shared among all the staff. We confirmed that with our waiter and bread server. Although we had prepaid gratuities the staff was excellent, working so hard to make our experience wonderful, and we felt that they deserved more.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CaveCreekTraveler said:

My May Alaskan cruise will be my first in a suite. Although I have prepaid tips through perks, I know you tip the butler and others but not sure who and how much is recommended. Can someone help me out?

I have no idea if we were cheap or generous on our 2016 Alaska cruise. We tipped our butler an extra 80 for the week cruise. We felt we got exceptional service. We also left our room attendant an extra (20 or 40 I cant remember) - and an extra 100 to Luminae team where we ate every chance and meal we could. 

We had no idea on amounts. I don’t know if it’s bad form to post the amounts here - no one ever seems to— but I felt like I was flying blind and I would have appreciated hearing amounts from others. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, CaveCreekTraveler said:

If you pay the standard gratuities, that is all that is required or expected, although some of us like to give a little extra to someone who goes above and beyond to make us happy.

Some passengers really go overboard and even tip some of the officers (management positions that do not get tipped).  We were chatting with a couple of the officers about this unusual practice and were told that if it occurs, they  just politely accept the tip and thank the person, rather than hurt someone's feelings by refusing and pointing out their gaffe.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DanaDanes said:

I have no idea if we were cheap or generous on our 2016 Alaska cruise. We tipped our butler an extra 80 for the week cruise. We felt we got exceptional service. We also left our room attendant an extra (20 or 40 I cant remember) - and an extra 100 to Luminae team where we ate every chance and meal we could. 

We had no idea on amounts. I don’t know if it’s bad form to post the amounts here - no one ever seems to— but I felt like I was flying blind and I would have appreciated hearing amounts from others. 

Very close to what we do when we have excellent service.  You hear of people who say they do much, much more which is very nice if they can do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Butlers are supposed to be covered in the pre-paid gratuity but most people in suites who have volunteered info here on CC usually tip extra at the end of the cruise.  I am guessing by responses I have seen here that a common range is $50-$100 depending on the service and length of the cruise.  But there is really no guideline or formula.  It is truly a personal decision.  For us if we ask the butler to do anything extra for us, or the Michael's Club (or Retreat Lounge) concierge, we tip them at the end of the cruise.  Same for the Luminae staff (who pool tips and split them across the team on most ships).  Also tipping practice is very much related to the tipping culture of your country of residence.

• Thanks 1

We book Sky Suites almost exclusively and always provide extra gratuities to our butler, stateroom attendant & assistant, Michael's Club bartender & server and, since we almost always ask for the same waiter in Luninae. tip him and the bread server also. The amount we give to each depends on length of cruise, level of service and things that may stick in our mind relative to any of those listed. Hard to put an exact amount for each since each cruise and crew member is different. There have been instances when we have not provided an extra tip to some for various reasons.

• Thanks 1

We also give additional tips to the Michaels Club CC Host and our butler.  It really varies.  I suggest cash as you do not want the amount to go into the "pool".  The amount is dependent upon the service rendered but typically for the Butler about 10-15 per day for my husband and myself.

• Thanks 1