Removing tips due to bad service

13 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

This isn't true on other cruise lines, is it true on Royal?

Royal does not allow changing prepaid tips.  I see Host Clarea says it is possible if you yell enough and likely taking it up the chain of command, it is possible to adjust.  I would think by that time most people would walk away.  I have twice seen people try to adjust their prepaid tips and they were denied, they didn't want them removed just adjusted. 

1 minute ago, springfire said:

Royal does not allow changing prepaid tips.  I see Host Clarea says it is possible if you yell enough and likely taking it up the chain of command, it is possible to adjust.  I would think by that time most people would walk away.  I have twice seen people try to adjust their prepaid tips and they were denied, they didn't want them removed just adjusted. 

Good info to have, thanks.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 2Beeze said:

I think that both fall under “never satisfied” since someone who doesn’t tip on “principle” consistently is in my book is just as much of a curmudgeon 🤡

There are some who don't trust RCI to distribute the grats and always remove them - they are perfectly happy with the service and rather tip in cash. There are others who, again, are very satisfied with the service but simply don't believe in grats - and remove them.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, springfire said:

If you prepay your tips, you can not make any adjustment for bad service.  Once you prepay your tips, the money is gone and you no longer have any control over it.  We never prepay tips!

I consider the standard tips part of the cruise fare and whether I prepay or not they are staying so I don't have an issue prepaying.  I also don't have an issue giving no additional tips during the cruise if none are warranted.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I consider the standard tips part of the cruise fare and whether I prepay or not they are staying so I don't have an issue prepaying.  I also don't have an issue giving no additional tips during the cruise if none are warranted.  

Good for you, you should always tip the way you feel most comfortable.  

• Like 1

Had a few stateroom attendants that weren't as good as others but that didn't stop them from getting a tip. Last year on the Harmony all six at our table ordered salmon and it was so overcooked a knife had to be used to cut into it. Brought it to the matre'ds attention and he brought out the chef and the chef said the fish was unacceptable, but all still received a tip.

5 minutes ago, fla gang said:

Had a few stateroom attendants that weren't as good as others but that didn't stop them from getting a tip. Last year on the Harmony all six at our table ordered salmon and it was so overcooked a knife had to be used to cut into it. Brought it to the matre'ds attention and he brought out the chef and the chef said the fish was unacceptable, but all still received a tip.

You aren't tipping the chef.  You are tipping your servers.  They didn't overcook the fish.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, springfire said:

If gratuities are prepaid, and it takes that much work to adjust them, are they really gratuities anymore?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

If gratuities are prepaid, and it takes that much work to adjust them, are they really gratuities anymore?

I would say yes because it's still the passenger's decision whether or not to pre-pay them.

55 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

You aren't tipping the chef.  You are tipping your servers.  They didn't overcook the fish.

I told the server and he went and got the matre'd which in turn brought out the chef. Are you telling me I did the wrong thing?

I have never removed tips, and never will.  I cannot see or understand messing with a person’s livelihood because I perceive less than exemplary service.  In my opinion tips are part of the cost of cruising and should be accepted as such.  It is much more effective to make your feelings known on your survey.  That way the crew member will either receive counseling, not be offered another contract or fired outright.  Such a large percentage of the crew perform over and above expectations that I feel it’s fair to overlook someone having a bad day.  Think about your own career and how you may have underperformed due to illness or personal problems.  Would it be fair for your boss to dock your pay for that week?

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I haven't had bad service. We are not high maintenance, don't need ice twice a day don't ask for anything out of the norm or special. As long as the room attendant cleans the room makes up the bed and provides turn down service he will receive an extra tip at the end. I don't need to be schmoozed  or entertained. In the past if we had a request for something like 2 wine glasses we just left a note. We try to stay out of their way so they can clean our room and get to the next person who may be more demanding. 

We don't prepay tips. I understand that some like to walk away with a zero balance on their on board account but I would just make a payment to the credit card that I provided to the cruise line to cover the gratuity. I don't grease their palm at the beginning of the cruise as a bribe for better service either.  I have never removed a tip and don't expect to ever have to.

Best attitude to have on a cruise !

This may sound bad but hear me out.  We remove tips all the time as we tip daily direct to the person/persons that connect with us directly.  First of all I we only dine in dining room maybe twice and if we do we tip that evening.  We are mostly at specialty restaurants which we tip.  All bartenders we tip over the 18% already added.  Room steward we tip directly.  We also usually have gifts in hand we give out.   The amount of money we tip far exceeds the allotted amount and when we tip direct the amount of service we receive is two fold.  We sail a multitude of times on same ship and know a lot of crew and they seek us out as they know we tip far and above.  

I have no contact with the Matre d' so I see no reason to tip.

We have never had a issue in removing tip with Guest Services 

• Like 2

Never once removed tips. Rare occasion have had poor service but just brought it to the attention of superior and it was rectified. Don’t understand people who are willing to put up with poor service and then remove tips. Now I don’t cruise expecting my room steward or waiter to entertain me or become my new bff. I know some people do and all I can say to that is get a life. 

7 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

Hi 

Most of the time I add the tips to my cruise price I have never removed tips on a ship but I read over and over that most people don’t pay the tips in advance because it’s hard to remove it if you need to. 

Had you ever removed the tips because service was so bad that you felt you had to do it? I only had 2 staterooms attendants that were bad, well not exactly bad but unapproachable and always serious. I didn’t remove the tips but I didn’t give extra. 

I have never removed tips, but I won't tip extra if the service is sub par. 

8 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

Hi 

Most of the time I add the tips to my cruise price I have never removed tips on a ship but I read over and over that most people don’t pay the tips in advance because it’s hard to remove it if you need to. 

Had you ever removed the tips because service was so bad that you felt you had to do it? I only had 2 staterooms attendants that were bad, well not exactly bad but unapproachable and always serious. I didn’t remove the tips but I didn’t give extra. 

I have never removed tips but have always given extra cash tips.

We always exchange niceties with our CS and if we need anything I will leave a note for our CS.

As others have said their job is to look after our cabin not to be our best friend.

Always prepay.  Never have removed.  Give extra when appropriate.

Only less than stellar service I received in a suite was when the attendant asked why my sis couldn't sleep on the sofa because she didn't want to separate the beds.  Took her 2 days.