Cruise Critic Community
Duffysmom

Golden vs Ruby

We have sailed on both Ruby and Golden, enjoyed all.  Your cabin choice is perfect.  We have been in E728 (also E729) on the Golden and loved it.  The extra large balcony is great.  I would probably go with Golden, though you will not go wrong no matter which one you choose.  Enjoy your cruise!!

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Thrak said:

Where did you get this info? I know the ship was built in 2001 but the web site says it was "refurbished in 2018". We have our first sailing on Golden in May so have no real info on the condition of the ship. I know there are some unusual cabin locations on that ship. This is a snip of the deck plan for Sun Deck where there are normally no cabins. 2 Premium Ocean View, 8 Premium Suites, and 2 Owner's Suites.

Golden will transfer to P&O Australia in October 2020 which is Spring in the southern hemisphere. She will be renamed Pacific Adventure. There have been PR announcements by both Princess and P&O and media articles about the transfer

We sailed on the Golden twice last year and thoroughly enjoyed both cruises. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52

17 hours ago, BuckGood said:

Google Golden princess to p&o!

Well that was certainly simple. D'Oh!  Thanks. Looks like our voyage in May will not only be our first on Golden but also our last.

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

Well that was certainly simple. D'Oh!  Thanks. Looks like our voyage in May will not only be our first on Golden but also our last.

Our first cruise was on the Golden.  It was Alaska, RT Seattle.  It was a great cruise.  The ship was in excellent condition and had a bunch of new stuff, at that time, since it had just come out of dry dock.  I will be sad to see her go.  I think with 2 of the 3 original Grand Class ships scheduled to leave the fleet, it is pretty clear what Princess’s long term plans are; Royal class ships, and a yet unnamed new class of ships they have tentatively announced (that won’t use bunker fuel, either).  With Golden and Star set for transfer, the. Rest of the Grand class ships, with the exception of the Grand, itself, will be the taller Grand class with the extra deck of cabins.  I guess everything has its time and place.

Here's a good (and hilarious) review of a balcony cabin on the Golden.  Seems she might be a little outdated.  I'm booked on her for Alaska and hoping there aren't too many issues.

https://*****/2WudupZ