Cruise Critic Community
orville99

Heads Up - Rockincruises charters

Posted (edited)

Fortunately for us, we're on Harmony the week before what looks like a B2B Rockin the Caribbean charter in February 2020:

Capture.PNG

Edited by orville99

We are on the one right after the Vol 21 cruise. Thankfully...

Was on a cruise with the Rocking the oldies (60's) group (about 1/3rd of the ship) and other than a lot of the participants wearing the same t-shirts and one venue closed, you would never know they were on board.   They had their own excursions and activities and it made our going on and off the ship a breeze as they were separated.

The fun part was seeing exactly how old some of the performers had become.  We shared our breakfast table with one of the lead singers of the Buckingham's, and would have never know who he was other than a fan came up and asked for an autograph.

I would not be concerned about booking this ship during this time.   There is really no chance of this charter even taking up 20% of this ship.

Our Alaskan cruise last August was to be a rock n roll cruise booked thru some TA in Georgia.

(Explorer of the Seas)

Um  it fizzled out.

Was a traditional RCI cruise.

The themed cruise was cancelled about 4 months prior to sailing.

Glad it was, we booked a year out not knowing the theme cruise.

Had we known, we would have booked another week.

Just saying.

All three cruises are still open for bookings on the RCL site, so they may only be partial ship charters. At least this way, no one will be surprised if they pull one of these  cruise from their bookings.

Posted (edited)

Just noticed that the July 7, 2019 Harmony of the Seas cruise has a Tech Cruise onboard.   Has anyone experienced a cruise with a partial charter? How does it impact crowds at venues? Hoping it will actually be a plus since I assume many of the attendees will be in seminars during the day.   

https://techcruise.co

Edited by SanzD
Typo

20 minutes ago, SanzD said:

Just noticed that the July 7, 2019 Harmony of the Seas cruise has a Tech Cruise onboard.   Has anyone experienced a cruise with a partial charter? How does it impact crowds at venues? Hoping it will actually be a plus since I assume many of the attendees will be in seminars during the day.   

https://techcruise.co

You might find a public venue taken over by the charter people from time to time.

18 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Our Alaskan cruise last August was to be a rock n roll cruise booked thru some TA in Georgia.

(Explorer of the Seas)

Um  it fizzled out.

Was a traditional RCI cruise.

The themed cruise was cancelled about 4 months prior to sailing.

Glad it was, we booked a year out not knowing the theme cruise.

Had we known, we would have booked another week.

Just saying.

As someone has said. You almost never know they are there. When I was on one shows were less crowded because they are at their own things. Wouldn't be anything I'd worry about at all

I am booked on one of these cruises. Obviously they are going to take over many of the venues and we are going to miss shows that we have paid for in our cruise fare. Will they refund my non-refundable deposit quickly or will it be a battle? Have I lost my $503? I have no interest in going on a partial cruise. 

13 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

I am booked on one of these cruises. Obviously they are going to take over many of the venues and we are going to miss shows that we have paid for in our cruise fare. Will they refund my non-refundable deposit quickly or will it be a battle? Have I lost my $503? I have no interest in going on a partial cruise. 

I doubt that this group will preempt any of the nightly shows.

22 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

We sailed with them before not as part of the group and did not miss one show.  

However, we spend a lot of day time at inside events at venues that will now be shared. We are not pool people. I would rather the cruise be cancelled than impacted like this. I guess I will find out our fate by phoning tomorrow. 

Just now, Maplemoose said:

However, we spend a lot of day time at inside events at venues that will now be shared. We are not pool people. I would rather the cruise be cancelled than impacted like this. I guess I will find out our fate by phoning tomorrow. 

We are not pool people either.  Other than seeing them wearing their matching t shirts we wouldn’t have known they were on board.  Nothing at all changed in the cruise planner.

Too early for the cruise planner as we have booked for February. Will be interested to try to find out what percentage of the cabins they have booked. 

27 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

Too early for the cruise planner as we have booked for February. Will be interested to try to find out what percentage of the cabins they have booked. 

It is less than 15% of the passengers that can be booked into this group.  

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It is less than 15% of the passengers that can be booked into this group.  

Why is that? Some cruises are 100% chartered. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

Why is that? Some cruises are 100% chartered. 

This is not one of those.  Many cruises are just as this one..a partial charter.  The company booking them only books a certain amount of cabins (what they know they can sell).  Happens all the time and you don’t hear about it as it never impacts the rest of the guests.  

Edited by Ourusualbeach

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

This is not one of those.  Many cruises are just as this one..a partial charter.  The company booking them only books a certain amount of cabins (what they know they can sell).  Happens all the time and you don’t hear about it as it never impacts the rest of the guests.  

But you said it can't be more than 15%. Why that number? 

4 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

But you said it can't be more than 15%. Why that number? 

I said just less than 15% because that is the actual number. I know the group that chartered the ship and know how many cabins they booked. 

2 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

Ok. Thank you. That makes me feel better. ☺

Don't worry about it.  You really won't likely notice at all.  Heck I noticed the quinceanera girls more on one cruise and that wasn't a group but a whole lot of families that had booked together.  But more often than not the groups are not huge and rarely impact my trip, and often if they do, it's for the better!  

1 hour ago, ShillyShally said:

Don't worry about it.  You really won't likely notice at all.  Heck I noticed the quinceanera girls more on one cruise and that wasn't a group but a whole lot of families that had booked together.  But more often than not the groups are not huge and rarely impact my trip, and often if they do, it's for the better!  

OMG

You made me laugh........

So many on our cruises out of Fll.

Thanks for the reminder of these girls.

Safe travels.

There are a few short cruises chartered out of Southampton just before the repositionings back to the Carribean. They are marketed as "Stages" (google it) and feature mainly musical theatre stars (Michael Ball , Lee Mead etc).  They are full charters, so anyone booked onboard have booked specifically for the musical stars