Cruise Critic Community
fragilek

Egg Alergy

Hi daughter has just phone to say she has just been diagnosed with the egg equivalent of Celiac  (I didn't even know that was a thing apparently it has just becoming known previously would have been just told intolerant too egg but as she is diabetic, and I have Celiac, Lupus and MS (all autoimmunes) further test were done and she has just found out. As I am already Celiac I know how other cruise ships have dealt with this with pre-ordering day before etc but I also know that it is restrictive especially for deserts, She spent most of her childhood missing out on deserts -as where we lived it was a strict no for diabetics.  Since she has been on the pump she has had a few years to enjoy them - and really does 😀. I don't want her missing out on this trip if I can avoid it.  What are Celebrity like for egg allergy do they have any cakes and deserts/ ice creams that are egg free.  Or should I plan to try and bring our own supply of biscuits and cakes - If I can find any.- I do that for me anyway. 

I recently returned from a Celebrity cruise and also have dietary restrictions.  I am lactose intolerant. There was a "special" desert every night not on the menu.  During the week long cruise I had a vegan rice pudding, different flavors of sorbet and frozen yogurt, and brownies.  I hope this helps.

Be sure to contact the Special Needs Department prior to cruising.

Do not rrely on the labeling in the buffet - it is not always accurate.

if you are you own best advocate, I'm sure you'll find something that she can eat and enjoy. Don;t be afraid to make a special request.

I'd still bring special snacks if you are able. 

Enjoy your cruise!

Besides letting special needs know in advance, talk to the Maitre D and your waiter about food allergies and restrictions. Our DIL has several food restrictions. They asked what she liked for desserts and the pastry chef made special desserts for her during the cruise that she could have. She commented that they were the best desserts she had had.

Agree with all the previously submitted responses.    This is direct from Celebrity's website:

Celebrity Cruises is the first cruise line in the industry to introduce DineAware. The program provides set standards for food allergy and intolerance education throughout the food and beverage industry. All our restaurant and serving staff receive training through the DineAware program. Also, annual retraining is provided to ensure that we keep abreast of the latest information regarding the 14 major food allergens and intolerances. Our guests with special dietary needs can dine in confidence knowing that their food needs are top priority and will be readily accommodated while on board. Celebrity Cruises is DineAware committed. We deliver excellent dining experiences for all guests to the best of our ability.

I feel that I should put this somewhere, not to unnecessarily scare people, because there is little that you can do to prevent....  I have many food sensitivities that I am very careful to eat around.  I order very plain food, very specifically.  In Luminae last week I ordered plain pasta - no sauce, no butter, no oil.  I had ordered this a few other times and had no issues.  On this night I found several little pieces of shellfish in the pasta.  Since I wasn't looking for it, I didn't notice it until I had eaten a couple of pieces.  When brought to the attention of the chef, he was very apologetic, but I received no explanation.  I don't know if it was from the water that the pasta was boiled in, from a dirty strainer,  from garbage or some other cause.  I will never know.  I lost a night and next day of enjoying my cruise.  Other surprising things happened as well - nobody followed up with me to see how I was, and this was not escalated to the head of restaurants.  Since someone could have gotten much sicker than me, it was disappointing that they didn't seem to really care very much. 

3 hours ago, JFontaine said:

I feel that I should put this somewhere, not to unnecessarily scare people, because there is little that you can do to prevent....  I have many food sensitivities that I am very careful to eat around.  I order very plain food, very specifically.  In Luminae last week I ordered plain pasta - no sauce, no butter, no oil.  I had ordered this a few other times and had no issues.  On this night I found several little pieces of shellfish in the pasta.  Since I wasn't looking for it, I didn't notice it until I had eaten a couple of pieces.  When brought to the attention of the chef, he was very apologetic, but I received no explanation.  I don't know if it was from the water that the pasta was boiled in, from a dirty strainer,  from garbage or some other cause.  I will never know.  I lost a night and next day of enjoying my cruise.  Other surprising things happened as well - nobody followed up with me to see how I was, and this was not escalated to the head of restaurants.  Since someone could have gotten much sicker than me, it was disappointing that they didn't seem to really care very much. 

I encourage you to follow-up with customer care at corporate offices about your incident. They have been most supportive to me.

Strangley, I have had the most difficulty in Luminae (two different cruises). The first time on Summit, I was served food containing gluten. Their menu items are not labeled, which makes it challenging to begin with. Did you actually get to speak with the chef about the incident?

During my most recent cruise, I asked that desserts be brought down from the Oceanview Cafe since they seemd to have better gluten-free choices than I was being offered (basically panacotta or ice cream and fruit). I was told that was not possible. So, I went up myself after dining and had dessert - cakes, puddings, pie, ...! . For the entire 14 days, I had a choice of either grain or raisin bread - breakfast and dinner. I requested rolls, and the one attempt to make them was dismal - hard as rock balls! (Well, at least they tried!) I tried to pre-order meals the day before whenever possible.  I can't say it was great, but I am conviced that the MDR does a much better job at preparing and serving a wide variety of gluten-free meals. Qusine was another concern - they told me there were only two items on the menu I couldn't eat, but there were more that contained gluten.  Near the end of the cruise, they got a bit creative in Luminae, which I appreciated so  much. 

Did you inform them before you ordered the Pasta of your allergies?   They would need to use a clean pot with new water to satisfy your dietary needs.   Depending on the pasta dishes of the evening there could have been fish or shellfish in the kitchen area.   It’s great that you try to eat around your allergies but when you don’t have control of the kitchen this is not possible.

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Did you inform them before you ordered the Pasta of your allergies?   They would need to use a clean pot with new water to satisfy your dietary needs.   Depending on the pasta dishes of the evening there could have been fish or shellfish in the kitchen area.   It’s great that you try to eat around your allergies but when you don’t have control of the kitchen this is not possible.

No, I didn't tell them in advance.  I'm not that sensitive to casual contact, but I never considered that six pieces of medium size shells would end up in a small amount of  plain pasta. I've been eating like this my entire life and it's never happened before.  The chef did come out of the kitchen, and said he was sorry, and that was it. 

Egg is a tricky ingredient to avoid. A member of our family is allergic to egg, and when we cruise, we usually have to avoid most baked desserts, pancakes, waffles. For breads, rolls, and pastas, we ask the waiter to check with the chef about the specific ingredients, since some contain baked egg, some not. Some ice creams contain egg, other not- again the need to check the ingredients. One blessing is that soft serve ice cream does not contain egg - so we often end up stopping by the buffet after a table service dinner so that she can get soft serve ice cream as a dessert. I don’t think it’s a bad idea to bring some eggless cookies or cupcakes with you just to be able to offer an alternative if there are no other desserts on hand. Of course, if your daughter’s allergy does not extend to baked egg, that would make things easier. Some egg proteins are degraded with baking, so some people can eat baked egg good even though they can’t tolerate other egg.

There are at least two different allergens in egg. One is thermal labile the other one is not. My younger daughter has multiple food allergies including egg. It is not a big deal if you take control of it. She survives well even eating dorm food everyday.