Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Host CJSKIDS

Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Recommended Posts

Sooo much information so hear goes, if this allows for use of the phones wi-fi calling, I assume that will be using wi-fi minutes if you don't pop for buying the "unlimited" right?  In Cabo, since our cell carrier gives us unlimited phone and data using local carriers there, is it easy to turn off the medallion so our phones will not eat up ship minutes?  I know we can hit the local cell sites while on the ship anchored out so we do not want to get zapped by Princess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This answer is for droids: why not just go to your settings and deselect MedallionNet? Alternatively log completely out and when the app asks if you want to connect, deselect there? They kept it KISS in my humble opinion 

 

No idea how it works on iPhone but it must be somewhat similar 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spent an hour and a half trying to set-up my Medallion account today with Concierge Jessica, at Princess.  It was one of the most frustrating experiences in my life, to date.  The phone call ended with the Princess Rep. suggesting that I close my phone and re-try tomorrow.  I have a Samsung Droid 9.  My phone kept lingering on my photo and would not allow me to go forward.  She stated that some droid users have been having a difficult time setting up the system.

 

I called my TA and shared the experience with him.  He said that he has had dozens of complaints referring to the frustration of the system not working or the whole process being so slow.  He suggested to stop trying and just wait until we arrive at the pier in L.A. on Nov. 9th.

 

I'm Elite on Princess and do like their product.  I have two more cruises scheduled after this one and think that Princess needs to make this whole process more user friendly for everyone.  Please, don't turn me off to the Princess product.  This is equal to cruise suicide!

 

I'm an active senior.  I like cruising because it's an easier, more convenient form of travel for me.  I cruise for the pleasure of traveling from one country to another and waking up each morning in a different venue.  I like the ease of unpacking once, the pleasure of fine dining and meeting new friends.  I don't need to have Wifi, phones, communication within the ship on a colorful disc.  I like to walk around, order my drinks, food, etc., while I'm exploring the ship.  Princess is actually trying to take this independence away from me.  I'm a traditional diner and don't need anyone to keep track of me or me them!  I know where my dining room, theatre and favorite lounges are without referring to, again, a disc.  I don't need my cabin door to be pre-unlocked for me, since I still have to turn the knob to open the door anyway.  People, STOP taking a good thing and complicating it, only to make it user-unfriendly.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

 

I called my TA and shared the experience with him.  He said that he has had dozens of complaints referring to the frustration of the system not working or the whole process being so slow.  He suggested to stop trying and just wait until we arrive at the pier in L.A. on Nov. 9th.

 

I'm an active senior.  I like cruising because it's an easier, more convenient form of travel for me.  I cruise for the pleasure of traveling from one country to another and waking up each morning in a different venue.  I like the ease of unpacking once, the pleasure of fine dining and meeting new friends.  I don't need to have Wifi, phones, communication within the ship on a colorful disc.  I like to walk around, order my drinks, food, etc., while I'm exploring the ship.  Princess is actually trying to take this independence away from me.  I'm a traditional diner and don't need anyone to keep track of me or me them!  I know where my dining room, theatre and favorite lounges are without referring to, again, a disc.  I don't need my cabin door to be pre-unlocked for me, since I still have to turn the knob to open the door anyway.  People, STOP taking a good thing and complicating it, only to make it user-unfriendly.   

 

Just relax Wizard. Two points from your post:

* your TA gave you good advice. Just wait until you get to the pier and pick up your Medallions there. I went through all the phone stuff and it took a while and saved no time at boarding.

* Princess are NOT taking your independence away from you. You do not need to use the Medallion apps to order drinks etc. I just used my Medallion to unlock the door and presented it to order drinks, exactly as the card did. I used my phone to login (which is simple) and that was just to check the room account and access the internet package which I had. You can use this technology to do as much or as little as you want it to, and if you don't want to use it widely you are not missing anything.

In my opinion you are stressing needlessly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I spent an hour and a half trying to set-up my Medallion account today with Concierge Jessica, at Princess.  It was one of the most frustrating experiences in my life, to date.  The phone call ended with the Princess Rep. suggesting that I close my phone and re-try tomorrow.  I have a Samsung Droid 9.  My phone kept lingering on my photo and would not allow me to go forward.  She stated that some droid users have been having a difficult time setting up the system.

 

I called my TA and shared the experience with him.  He said that he has had dozens of complaints referring to the frustration of the system not working or the whole process being so slow.  He suggested to stop trying and just wait until we arrive at the pier in L.A. on Nov. 9th.

 

I'm Elite on Princess and do like their product.  I have two more cruises scheduled after this one and think that Princess needs to make this whole process more user friendly for everyone.  Please, don't turn me off to the Princess product.  This is equal to cruise suicide!

 

I'm an active senior.  I like cruising because it's an easier, more convenient form of travel for me.  I cruise for the pleasure of traveling from one country to another and waking up each morning in a different venue.  I like the ease of unpacking once, the pleasure of fine dining and meeting new friends.  I don't need to have Wifi, phones, communication within the ship on a colorful disc.  I like to walk around, order my drinks, food, etc., while I'm exploring the ship.  Princess is actually trying to take this independence away from me.  I'm a traditional diner and don't need anyone to keep track of me or me them!  I know where my dining room, theatre and favorite lounges are without referring to, again, a disc.  I don't need my cabin door to be pre-unlocked for me, since I still have to turn the knob to open the door anyway.  People, STOP taking a good thing and complicating it, only to make it user-unfriendly.   

Agree with with you.  My career had me doing computer system concersions, and building and rolling out new systems.  I'd have been fired on Day One if a system went live that was completely buggy as this is.

 

I figure their new I.T. "talent" is 95% children who love their electronic toys.  They don't realize how many cruisers are seniors.  And a large majority have a lot of discrenary dollars to spend.  When a new system complicates seniors' lives too much, they'll go elsewhere.  That's why we retired, for Pete's sake -- to relax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I read the first 20 pages or so of this post and didn't see a clear answer so I'll ask the question that I'm sure has been asked and answered already:  Do you need to carry your phone (I have an I-phone) around to use all the apps, like for ordering drinks?  I already have a consolidated App on my phone (I think it contains all the pervious apps in one location), but just curious of how that all fits together.  If I'm poolside, can I just use the Medallion?  Or do I need the phone App too?  Thanks in advance!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. You can order without it. BUT the 1st drink you order on the app (each voyage) is free ..... in my case, the 1st 2 last week on the Royal as it wouldn't confirm delivery. Tried but it kept saying 'in process' so I enjoyed 2 🥂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ombud said:

No. You can order without it. BUT the 1st drink you order on the app (each voyage) is free ..... in my case, the 1st 2 last week on the Royal as it wouldn't confirm delivery. Tried but it kept saying 'in process' so I enjoyed 2 🥂

Thanks!  That's good to know.  I may as well carry the phone for at least long enough to order my first drink.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the positive responses.  I do have money to spend and Princess needs to be cognitive of the fact that there are other choices and ways for me to spend said money.

 

I plan on continuing to cruise.  If my Nov. 9th experience is fraught with frustration, I will use my ability to change my choices and go back to relaxing and looking forward to "Coming Back New" with a NEW line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Thanks for the positive responses.  I do have money to spend and Princess needs to be cognitive of the fact that there are other choices and ways for me to spend said money.

 

I plan on continuing to cruise.  If my Nov. 9th experience is fraught with frustration, I will use my ability to change my choices and go back to relaxing and looking forward to "Coming Back New" with a NEW line.

You do realize that you can opt out of EVERYTHING that the OM offers except unlocking the stateroom door, right?? When it was in my back pocket it wouldn't even unlock my door or let crew know I'm there. If you wish to opt out of unlocking your stateroom door you'll need to get the old style card. 

 

Having been on 2 OM cruises now IMHO there's a lot of unnecessary aprehension about this system. 

 

ADDED: I don't carry my phone bc I want to unplug onboard. I see a lot of women carrying a purse but NOT ME. Ditch that! 😎

Edited by Ombud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can choose a cruise line without ocean medallion.  Its a world with lots of choices. Have a wonderful day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ombud said:

You do realize that you can opt out of EVERYTHING that the OM offers except unlocking the stateroom door, right?? When it was in my back pocket it wouldn't even unlock my door or let crew know I'm there. If you wish to opt out of unlocking your stateroom door you'll need to get the old style card. 

 

Having been on 2 OM cruises now IMHO there's a lot of unnecessary aprehension about this system. 

 

ADDED: I don't carry my phone bc I want to unplug onboard. I see a lot of women carrying a purse but NOT ME. Ditch that! 😎

Happy that works for you.  Sadly, it probably doesn't for everyone; people's situations differ.

 

It sounds like you understand the system more than some of us here.  Can you tell me, if you "opt out of EVERYTHING", how you can communicate 24/7 with caretakers of parents who are pushing 100 years old?  I've tried to pick up clues about that, but haven't seen any answers.  It used to be possible with the ship's cellular, but that's gone now with Medallion.  If you can solve that problem for us, we will bless you forever!  Thanks!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ecs66 said:

Can you tell me, if you "opt out of EVERYTHING", how you can communicate 24/7 with caretakers of parents who are pushing 100 years old?  

Well if you need to contact caretakers of your 100 year old parents:

1. Congratulations for having 100 yr old parents

2. Medallion vs non-medallion ship communication is JUST a tool. Just like wifi calling & emails

 

I understand that some are afraid of changes. Not saying either of you are, ecs66 and wizard-of-roz, but it's a real thing. OM can be as simple as a different way to connect to the internet or as complete as an entire different way to order / track / communicate onboard. We each get to decide our level of usage

 

edited to add: come back after your 1st OM cruise and let others know if it simplified or complicated or had no effect on your cruise

Edited by Ombud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Well if you need to contact caretakers of your 100 year old parents:

1. Congratulations for having 100 yr old parents

2. Medallion vs non-medallion ship communication is JUST a tool. Just like wifi calling & emails

 

I understand that some are afraid of changes. Not saying either of you are, ecs66 and wizard-of-roz, but it's a real thing. OM can be as simple as a different way to connect to the internet or as complete as an entire different way to order / track / communicate onboard. We each get to decide our level of usage

 

edited to add: come back after your 1st OM cruise and let others know if it simplified or complicated or had no effect on your cruise

I would love to hear pros and cons from those who have used the new system.

 

Actually, I'm a lover of change and new ideas, just not those that create more confusion and differences in an already confused and indifferent world!

 

And, if I were traveling on a cruise with extremely fragile and elderly parents at home, I would like a way to connect with their caregivers, as well.  Is the Medallion system the way to go.....not sold on it yet!  I was able to reach my daughter who was having emergency surgery by cell when we were in Switzerland on board a cruise.  It was easy and very simple to do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ombud said:

You do realize that you can opt out of EVERYTHING that the OM offers except unlocking the stateroom door, right?? When it was in my back pocket it wouldn't even unlock my door or let crew know I'm there. If you wish to opt out of unlocking your stateroom door you'll need to get the old style card. 

 

Having been on 2 OM cruises now IMHO there's a lot of unnecessary aprehension about this system. 

 

ADDED: I don't carry my phone bc I want to unplug onboard. I see a lot of women carrying a purse but NOT ME. Ditch that! 😎

Remarkable, how I have been able to spend thousands and thousands of dollars successfully on board a cruise, in their fine jewelry store.   I was able to keep track of my family and meet-up with them at different times of the day, every day for two weeks.  I was able to book a future cruise and several excursions, as well as get a drink by the pool, in a lounge, in the theatre and order a bouquet of roses and have them sent to another cabin.  I've also been capable of opening my cabin door in a split second - All of the aforementioned with the "old style card!"  🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please report back after your cruise as to what you found difficult to do 

Edited by Ombud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ombud said:

I understand that some are afraid of changes.

Thanks for your reply...  I'm definitely not a Luddite!  ☺️  In my career I designed, implemented, and rolled out new computer systems.  It was fun and exciting.  (We're retired now and have made an effort to chill and back off when it comes to technology.)  This Princess change, however, has removed our tried-and-true method of communicating with "back home", i.e., Cellular At Sea -- easy and cheap when used correctly.  It seems both of us are forced to buy internet for the full cruise in order to connect to Wi-Fi Calling.  As Platinum (I may be Elite now -- not sure), we do get some free internet minutes, but they don't add up to 24/7.

 

There are a few months between now and cruising and there's a chance the system will be tweaked to address certain issues.

 

One thing I'm watching for on the CC threads is whether or not my BlackBerry Priv Android is compatible with Wi-Fi on Medallion.  BB builds in so many extra security walls that sometimes I have issues.  Even Verizon Tech Coach can't get into the phone to do remote support.  So, if anyone has used Priv with Medallion, please chime in!  Inquiring minds want to know. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't worry about Miss Roz, we are cruising with her and will take good care of her. We thought of the medallion as something fun to do before our cruise. We are not tech savvy but figured it out. 

 

My question is what the different color medallions mean? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the color is same as the cards, your Captain Circle status.....Blue |Gold | Ruby | Platinum | Elite

 

4R0bkTgXaMjvV75XYX9UNHIce3UE66C3_LFXh_DaLxBHYQQ7dVvau6RONQkjcwuj8M9yRrnPMhI26yrkZQzuGWYUPklxR5Ip34BUfld1m5W_0IpX8O9BAOf774o7fqYFH12dxFGx36KQqtBI9wBeGocZdjdM13XRVQVrESiTj4op7699GM1ra0LktZgGF9HKhuUfoppz8Kj_Q6ThWZ-G67WCnwVdaZHMLNKs3ASiqo_FtPQZYMJFMswfP_wP4vOSFvYAWZzX7QutW_g2gQ6io1rjN-hA1o0mKxlAx6zAIfsVGItcGHEJXwQ3sAC7GMNphzZyV2G1KXw-_exsM_g0dvBJq_BhyecBAGkFwbEUiwIXSp3jnPlBBEmqD5bKUF_sfFd-ckix7MtCSDdu_G1AxDjFJT0nFWtQyM04fT1kfperI63s6cF4kyvqM6mXd_UsihrLNpvlfVGgn-XD67rLrjW20Tv2E9FYRGUreRXTTSeCjsuI_DzxBFkWsENVIxWIWRT034cP3gEtzaBjw-4ciBts_ySzEtnsCriAegH0aZymoQdIdsS4t7YoCQiQA2LWgSPQOg0pS0ewl-h8KzgPrTKnCiMXDHYeWX9lVDDAgAqpJ3BqX5aICT5vtGobj_zwd5TGzflBZXWA_SzTNZnQu0EHwuT68COzaF7yCx_vaYBhzTFFXL-M4Kb7=w1140-h760-no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, olegna said:

the color is same as the cards, your Captain Circle status.....Blue |Gold | Ruby | Platinum | Elite

 

4R0bkTgXaMjvV75XYX9UNHIce3UE66C3_LFXh_DaLxBHYQQ7dVvau6RONQkjcwuj8M9yRrnPMhI26yrkZQzuGWYUPklxR5Ip34BUfld1m5W_0IpX8O9BAOf774o7fqYFH12dxFGx36KQqtBI9wBeGocZdjdM13XRVQVrESiTj4op7699GM1ra0LktZgGF9HKhuUfoppz8Kj_Q6ThWZ-G67WCnwVdaZHMLNKs3ASiqo_FtPQZYMJFMswfP_wP4vOSFvYAWZzX7QutW_g2gQ6io1rjN-hA1o0mKxlAx6zAIfsVGItcGHEJXwQ3sAC7GMNphzZyV2G1KXw-_exsM_g0dvBJq_BhyecBAGkFwbEUiwIXSp3jnPlBBEmqD5bKUF_sfFd-ckix7MtCSDdu_G1AxDjFJT0nFWtQyM04fT1kfperI63s6cF4kyvqM6mXd_UsihrLNpvlfVGgn-XD67rLrjW20Tv2E9FYRGUreRXTTSeCjsuI_DzxBFkWsENVIxWIWRT034cP3gEtzaBjw-4ciBts_ySzEtnsCriAegH0aZymoQdIdsS4t7YoCQiQA2LWgSPQOg0pS0ewl-h8KzgPrTKnCiMXDHYeWX9lVDDAgAqpJ3BqX5aICT5vtGobj_zwd5TGzflBZXWA_SzTNZnQu0EHwuT68COzaF7yCx_vaYBhzTFFXL-M4Kb7=w1140-h760-no

Thank you. Thats what I thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What exactly does “link your booking” mean and do? My booking number is in the Ocean Ready app already, so why doesn’t it automatically populate to the “link your booking” part of the Medallion app and what are the advantages of linking it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BIGAFORF, in the new medallion class app; once your reservation is linked; every time you log into the app your current cruise pops up stating how many days, hours, minutes, and seconds till your cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On another cruise site, I found this paragraph below.  I've never heard of any except PlayOcean.  Does anyone know if the other categories are still "a thing"?

 

"Princess Cruises has separated the Ocean Medallion experience into six main categories: DineOcean™, ShopOcean™, PlayOcean™, Ocean Navigate™, Ocean Medallion Destinations™ and Ocean Memories™."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are four categories for the medallion app

1. ocean now

2. play ocean

3.ocean compass

4. ocean concierge

These are all of the different functions for the medallion

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AF-1 when you open up the Medallion app there are 3 lines at the top of the app, if you click on the lines, it opens up a window with a “link your booking” option, when you open it up it shows your name etc, it doesn’t show your booking number. Even though the booking number shows up in the Ocean Ready app part. I see the countdown clock, so it knows my booking number, but does not populate the booking link part. I am interested in why it doesn’t and what that part of the app, the booking link, that requires you to put in your booking number does. I am on an iPad and perhaps it is different on an Android device

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...