Paperless boarding pass?

Orlando Vic

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but my DD wanted me to ask it anyway. We are taking our two adult children on a 1-week Eastern Caribbean cruise in June. My DD wants to know if she can just present an electronic copy of her boarding pass rather than a paper copy on embarkation?

I don't know how she would get this electronic copy on her mobile phone unless it is first scanned. I don't see any advantage, but I am asking anyway.

I will appreciate all comments.

21 minutes ago, Orlando Vic said:

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but my DD wanted me to ask it anyway. We are taking our two adult children on a 1-week Eastern Caribbean cruise in June. My DD wants to know if she can just present an electronic copy of her boarding pass rather than a paper copy on embarkation?

I don't know how she would get this electronic copy on her mobile phone unless it is first scanned. I don't see any advantage, but I am asking anyway.

Would be easy enough to get it on her phone - just go to the website and print the boarding pass and save it as a file to her phone.  I've wondered that myself.  Especially with a Medallion sailing - would the Medallion be sufficient to get into the terminal?

21 minutes ago, Orlando Vic said:

I had the printed out boarding pass with me, never pulled it out of my pocket, they only used the medallion.

• Like 1

Not sure what the Medallian would change, but the following text is at the top of the boarding pass.

"At cruise check-in, you will be required to present your boarding pass and passport or, where applicable, proof of citizenship and a valid government issued photo ID, plus any required visas and original vaccination certificates. Failure to present the required documentation at check-in will result in denied boarding."

Haven't cruised in the past year, but every cruise we've been on they collected the paper boarding pass at check-in.

I suggest you print a copy of the boarding pass, and also let your daughter load the .pdf file into her phone.  That way if the electronic copy doesn't meet the requirement, you have the paper copy as a backup.

Edited by Times Prince

9 minutes ago, Times Prince said:

Not sure what the Medallian would change, but the following text is at the top of the boarding pass.

"At cruise check-in, you will be required to present your boarding pass and passport or, where applicable, proof of citizenship and a valid government issued photo ID, plus any required visas and original vaccination certificates. Failure to present the required documentation at check-in will result in denied boarding."

Haven't cruised in the past year, but every cruise we've been on they collected the paper boarding pass at check-in.

I suggest you print a copy of the boarding pass, and also let your daughter load the .pdf file into her phone.  That way if the electronic copy doesn't meet the requirement, you have the paper copy as a backup.

I have used a paperless / electronic boarding pass for a couple years now -- never been a problem. Never carry a paper backup -- not sure I understand the logic of going paperless and bringing a paper backup. 

We cruised on the Ruby in February. We had our printed boarding passes in hand and was told at check in that she didn’t need them anymore.  We had not previously checked in on line on Ocean Ready since the Ruby is not fully Medallion ready.  

Orlando Vic.  If you are on a ocean medallion ship you won’t need paper copy. If your ship is not Ocean Ready then take a picture of your boarding pass on iphone and you will be ok

Edited by AF-1

Thanks for all of your helpful ideas. We are on the Caribbean Princess, but I don’t know if they have the medallions yet. I’ll email my TA tomorrow and find out. As for me and DW, we’ll use paper copies of the boarding pass. 😃

1 hour ago, Orlando Vic said:

Thanks for all of your helpful ideas. We are on the Caribbean Princess, but I don’t know if they have the medallions yet. I’ll email my TA tomorrow and find out. As for me and DW, we’ll use paper copies of the boarding pass. 😃

The Caribbean was the first ship to get the medallion up and running.  

Edited by Essiesmom

9 hours ago, Orlando Vic said:

I sailed CB in Feb; it is fully functioning medallion class ship.  CB was the first ship to have everything up and running. Medallion Net; is the fast wifi;  and it works well.  When you are 60 days out for your cruise have your daughter download the ocean ready app onto her smartphone.  Once she completes the info on the app; it will generate an electronic boarding pass for her;  she will use that pass to get thru port security and onto ship. You will be able to order your medallions after completion of the ocean ready app. So anyone who wants a medallion mailed to them; can complete the app.  You can't fill in the info prior to 60 days. Below was my boarding pass once I completed the ocean ready app.  This is all you and your family will need to board the ship. No paper pass required

image.thumb.png.fee7dd9383b7428b8522dc9d67348f29.png

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

When you are 60 days out for your cruise have your daughter download the ocean ready app onto her smartphone.  Once she completes the info on the app; it will generate an electronic boarding pass for her;  she will use that pass to get thru port security and onto ship

That is news to me. Thanks very much for the info!

Edited by Orlando Vic

I have heard enough horror stories of the ship not having the correct info about pre-paid Soda/Drink Packages, pre-paid excursions, etc., that I always bring a full hard-copy of my paperwork.  I don't believe in "paperless" for work or for vacations!

I rarely need to show the hard-copy papers, but better to have them and not need them, ...

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:26 PM, snowskier said:

I have used a paperless / electronic boarding pass for a couple years now -- never been a problem. Never carry a paper backup -- not sure I understand the logic of going paperless and bringing a paper backup. 

Murphy's law says your phone will lose charge just before you need to show the critical information.

Logic is having a safety net for when you need it.  Like having insurance.