Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Cruisegirl6

STEAKHOUSE QUESTIONS

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

We just booked the Breeze yesterday for next month.  Its been awhile since I been on Carnival ship, question, can my elderly father in law wear nice shorts and a nice shirt to the steakhouse?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have reservations for the steakhouse on the Freedom.  The link they sent me says this:

 

  • The dress code follows the dress code specified for that evening on board; if the evening is specified as Cruise Casual, shorts are not permitted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get away with it on the first night because you can always use the "we have not yet received our luggage" excuse.  You also get a free bottle of generic house white or red or 50% off a better bottle of wine on night one as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

 

You can get away with it on the first night because you can always use the "we have not yet received our luggage" excuse

 

Don’t give me ideas.....Hmmmm...Hide one of my check bags, complain like heck & get OBC.  Bonus!  Kidding of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lizc7gb said:

I have reservations for the steakhouse on the Freedom.  The link they sent me says this:

 

  • The dress code follows the dress code specified for that evening on board; if the evening is specified as Cruise Casual, shorts are not permitted.

Am I the only one that doesn't get this statement from Carnival? It says to follow the dress code for that evening and says shorts are NOT allowed if Cruise Casual.

 

Well this is Cruise Casual from Carnival's dress code: 

“Cruise Casual” Dress Code
Men: sports slacks, khakis, jeans, long dress shorts and collared polo shirts

 

I think Carnival needs to hire someone to proof read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably not.  But Carnival has been experimenting with a casual Steakhouse dress code for one night of the seven on a week long cruise.  I've seen it on the Miracle, the Conquest and the Magic in the last year, may have been the 4th or 5th night.  There was a small notice in the fun times announcing the change.

 

May be they do it on a low # of reservations night?   Just no way to tell in advance when or if it will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bookbug53 said:

Am I the only one that doesn't get this statement from Carnival? It says to follow the dress code for that evening and says shorts are NOT allowed if Cruise Casual.

 

Well this is Cruise Casual from Carnival's dress code: 

“Cruise Casual” Dress Code
Men: sports slacks, khakis, jeans, long dress shorts and collared polo shirts

 

I think Carnival needs to hire someone to proof read.

 

To interpret for you ... The Steakhouse follows the dress code for the MDR: however, there are no shorts permitted at any time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd, Royal Caribbean allows it and maybe this is why the Steakhouse is always empty on the Carnival ships.  We dine there every night and pretty much have the place to ourselves with the exception of the first night.  Thank you everybody but were going to give it a try and see what happens worse case he put pants on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Odd, Royal Caribbean allows it and maybe this is why the Steakhouse is always empty on the Carnival ships.  We dine there every night and pretty much have the place to ourselves with the exception of the first night.  Thank you everybody but were going to give it a try and see what happens worse case he put pants on.

 

Maybe because Chops is more akin to Longhorn/Outback and the Carnival Steakhouse is more like Flemings/Ruth's Criss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Odd, Royal Caribbean allows it and maybe this is why the Steakhouse is always empty on the Carnival ships.  We dine there every night and pretty much have the place to ourselves with the exception of the first night.  Thank you everybody but were going to give it a try and see what happens worse case he put pants on.

 

Steakhouse is always empty on the Carnival ships?  I wasn't aware of this.  On the Magic, it was packed the 3 nights we ate there.

A few years back on the Liberty I tried the "my luggage hasn't arrived yet" on the first night and was turned away.

 

Edited by markntara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, markntara said:

 

Steakhouse is always empty on the Carnival ships?  I wasn't aware of this.  On the Magic, it was packed the 3 nights we ate there.

A few years back on the Liberty I tried the "my luggage hasn't arrived yet" on the first night and was turned away.

 

Some posters have different views on things and are at times head scratching. Our 35 plus cruises on Carnival ships, most with Steakhouses have had the same experience as you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

 

To interpret for you ... The Steakhouse follows the dress code for the MDR: however, there are no shorts permitted at any time.

Not always true.  See my post right above yours.  I was surprised by the "casual night" in the Steakhouse and twice I was the only one with long pants - the other guys must have seen the notice and they all had shorts.

 

Just saying, and I'm not a fan of the change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To answer the OP, they can try wearing shorts, but be prepared to go change. Carnival is known for not being very consistent across the fleet with regards to dress code. But, please report back here and let us know the outcome if your FIL was able to wear shorts or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why? it's a different outcome on every cruise. How hard is it to put on a pair of slacks? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask my father in law we don't understand why the pants is an issue, I just tell him it be a bit cool he wear the pants.

 

Maybe I eat dinner too late and this is a reason why the steakhouse has been pretty empty on our cruises, we generally eat between 7:30-8:15pm?  

 

Carnivals steakhouse is the best, you can't compare it next to Chops which is horrible.

 

I did find this on Carnival regarding dress code in the steakhouse...so yes, not short shorts for men is acceptable on the casual nights.

 

Cruise Casual Dress Code

 

  • Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Ask my father in law we don't understand why the pants is an issue, I just tell him it be a bit cool he wear the pants.

 

Maybe I eat dinner too late and this is a reason why the steakhouse has been pretty empty on our cruises, we generally eat between 7:30-8:15pm?  

 

Carnivals steakhouse is the best, you can't compare it next to Chops which is horrible.

 

I did find this on Carnival regarding dress code in the steakhouse...so yes, not short shorts for men is acceptable on the casual nights.

 

Cruise Casual Dress Code

 

  • Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

I am pretty sure that both the cards sent to cabins as a reminder and the calls we have received always mention no shorts...but some feel they need to push the envelope

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You know what, it doesn't matter, I am also going to dress in nice dress shorts, I made up my mind, its Carnival for goodness sakes!  I have beautiful rompers that I will wear, they look like dresses.

Edited by Cruisegirl6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My goodness, why even ask the question if you are going to ignore the rules that have been posted? Looks like you wanted validation instead of answers. 🙄

 

Whatever. It's your cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

You know what, it doesn't matter, I am also going to dress in nice dress shorts, I made up my mind, its Carnival for goodness sakes!  I have beautiful rompers that I will wear, they look like dresses.

 

 

If you are cruise"girl", I'm pretty sure the shorts are referring to men not girls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we were on the freedom 2 weeks ago they had one night were Cruise casual was allowed.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2019 at 9:45 PM, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello,

 

We just booked the Breeze yesterday for next month.  Its been awhile since I been on Carnival ship, question, can my elderly father in law wear nice shorts and a nice shirt to the steakhouse?  

Unfortunately that is a big no no. Last cruise my adult Nephew had on a very nice pair of black dress shorts they were long style and they made him go back to the cabin and put pants on. I was a little miffed because right behind us a young kid maybe 13 or 14 had on a pair of shorts and they said nothing so I gather it's who you meet at the door or how old you are. What would happen if you had a reservation for the first day and your luggage got lost and you had shorts? Would they cancel your reservation?

Edited by hockeyguru32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2019 at 8:51 AM, Bookbug53 said:

Am I the only one that doesn't get this statement from Carnival? It says to follow the dress code for that evening and says shorts are NOT allowed if Cruise Casual.

 

Well this is Cruise Casual from Carnival's dress code: 

“Cruise Casual” Dress Code
Men: sports slacks, khakis, jeans, long dress shorts and collared polo shirts

 

I think Carnival needs to hire someone to proof read.

Seems easy enough to me...no shorts, and that the code follows cruise causal in all other aspects.  Maybe I am the only one that is scratching their head about why it is a big deal to put on a pair of pants....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hockeyguru32 said:

Unfortunately that is a big no no. Last cruise my adult Nephew had on a very nice pair of black dress shorts they were long style and they made him go back to the cabin and put pants on. I was a little miffed because right behind us a young kid maybe 13 or 14 had on a pair of shorts and they said nothing so I gather it's who you meet at the door or how old you are. What would happen if you had a reservation for the first day and your luggage got lost and you had shorts? Would they cancel your reservation?

I assume your adult nephew can read?  You do not really need an explanation of the difference between a 12 year old and adult...do you?  If we keep relaxing the dress code, there wont be one soon....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Seems easy enough to me...no shorts, and that the code follows cruise causal in all other aspects.  Maybe I am the only one that is scratching their head about why it is a big deal to put on a pair of pants....

 

 

A.I.'s have no trouble enforcing their dress code. You are NOT eating at a restaurant requiring slacks, period. Don't you slacks on the same way you put on shorts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...