ON BOARD THE KONINGSDAM

cruisen cracker

The transatlantic passage has been mostly smooth so far.  The ship, music and staff have been great.  I am very glad I booked this cruise.  Two minor complaints that I wish HAL would address.  The coffee tastes like warm dishwater with a little flavor (ok, so I've really never drank dishwater but it's what I think it would taste like). Army coffee was much better and it was nothing to brag about.  I wish HAL had taken the money spent on the Ophra (Went on one and it was a joke) themed cruises and spent it on coffee instead.  Other cruise lines have adopted name brand coffee and it has paid off.  And don't try to find a real croissant for breakfast, they are at only one station and they are just like the little ones Sam's sells in a carton of two or three dozen for little or nothing, a week old and not flaky at all.  Does HAL bake any bread onboard now?  Celebrity is by far better in both of these areas, minor as they are but for some of us a good cup of coffee really starts our day right.

End of rant!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On the K this winter, there was a lovely bread display near the cooking area in Club Orange. Those croissants were large and looked good. The pastry tray contained the little ones. Neptune Lounge had the "real" ones.

OP,  go to the bread station (Rise?) at the Lido and try the soft pretzel. That is baked right there, as are some other items.

2 hours ago, EZ2CY said:

cruisen cracker: Have you tried the Grand Dutch Cafe for coffee?  It's not free but we found it quite good.

Loved the coffee in the Grand Dutch Cafe for sure.............yes you have to pay for it, but I enjoyed it enough to not mind paying...........

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 6:49 PM, *Miss G* said:

Where are you getting your coffee?  Ask for an Americano (not the one they pour from the pot) and you will get a good one.

Miss G, which venue(s) do you ask for the Americano? Thanks. 

I generally find HAL coffee to be little better than warm brown water but was determined to try again last Feb. So this time I wrote "STRONG" next to coffee on the breakfast card and the coffee was excellent, good flavor and strong. We got a large pot delivered abt 7am every morning and enjoyed it on the balcony.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LF23 said:

Miss G, which venue(s) do you ask for the Americano? Thanks. 

Usually I get it in the Explorations Cafe.  Sometimes with an extra shot of espresso.  When I was in Club Orange I asked one of the servers how to get a good cup of coffee instead of what they pour from the pot.  She told me to ask for an Americano and from then on I had great coffee.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2019 at 6:02 AM, cruisen cracker said:

........... Does HAL bake any bread onboard now?  .......

During the Konigsdam kitchen tour last December, we were told that every pastry, bread, cake, roll, etc. was baked in one of several bakeries on the ship.

9 hours ago, Crew News said:

During the Konigsdam kitchen tour last December, we were told that every pastry, bread, cake, roll, etc. was baked in one of several bakeries on the ship.

Given the amount of air in baked goods, ingredients like flour and sugar take up less space in storage than finished products. And I haven't noticed a decline in freshness over the course of a week or longer cruise.

13 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Usually I get it in the Explorations Cafe.  Sometimes with an extra shot of espresso.  When I was in Club Orange I asked one of the servers how to get a good cup of coffee instead of what they pour from the pot.  She told me to ask for an Americano and from then on I had great coffee.

Wonderful, thank you! 

On 4/16/2019 at 5:02 AM, cruisen cracker said:

............................  And don't try to find a real croissant for breakfast, they are at only one station and they are just like the little ones Sam's sells in a carton of two or three dozen for little or nothing, a week old and not flaky at all.  Does HAL bake any bread onboard now?  .........................

Each HAL ship has a chief baker and, depending on size of the ship, two to three asst. bakers and they are busy starting very early in the morning. Best place to walk by during that time to take in a whiff or two-nine, There are separate pasty chefs 

8 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Each HAL ship has a chief baker and, depending on size of the ship, two to three asst. bakers and they are busy starting very early in the morning. Best place to walk by during that time to take in a whiff or two-nine, There are separate pasty chefs 

I can verify that. Being married to a cooking show obsessed husband we take every class, every tour, every talk.  Yes they bake all of the breads. 

I really like excellent coffe.

On 4/18/2019 at 6:49 PM, fatcat04 said:

I generally find HAL coffee to be little better than warm brown water but was determined to try again last Feb. So this time I wrote "STRONG" next to coffee on the breakfast card and the coffee was excellent, good flavor and strong. We got a large pot delivered abt 7am every morning and enjoyed it on the balcony.

Thanks for the tip!  I really don't like weak coffee.