Cruise Critic Community
Fun lovin

Celebrity Edge or Oasis?

Hi not sure if this the right place for this question. I have cruised before - twice now looking at booking cruise for June Edge or Oasis- both in the Med it’s the ship I’m interested in. We are a couple in our early 60s very early!  Have cruised once with RCC and once with Celeb. any advice?thanks

1 hour ago, Fun lovin said:

Hi not sure if this the right place for this question. I have cruised before - twice now looking at booking cruise for June Edge or Oasis- both in the Med it’s the ship I’m interested in. We are a couple in our early 60s very early!  Have cruised once with RCC and once with Celeb. any advice?thanks

Oasis would be my choice by a small margin. It consistently has good reviews. I am not impressed with Celebrity Edge, and based on the reviews, many people who have been on her aren't either. The only thing that may sway me to Edge is that she is a much smaller ship, with less than half the passengers as on Oasis. That means fewer people rushing to go ashore, where Oasis could possibly cause overcrowding in some ports.

If possible, I would look for another ship about the size of Edge or smaller. 

Hi thanks for your reply. Any suggestions re another  ship June 29th /30th weekend suits me to take holiday- preferably need to be in mainland Europe could you r,e-commend another cruise line? I have read a lot of the reviews on the Edge and see they are quite mixed although the more recent ones appear to be more positive. I realize the Oasis is a larger ship only fear I have here is that  it will be quite busy as it is school holidays but I would like to experience this size ship also.Loved the Navigator when we did it. 

Completely different ships and demographics.  RCI focuses primarily on families, and Oasis is a ship with plenty of venues for the families and entertainment such as rock climbing walls, aqua theater, ice skating rink, zip line, carousel, flow riders, water slides, mini-golf, etc.  There is also a Broadway show - Cats.  The likelihood of families and children on board is high.

Celebrity is more of a traditional cruise experience with none of the above activities and venues, with a focus more on adults, with a more relaxed cruise environment.  Edge is their newest launch and features some unique venues that are not on their other ships, such as the Magic Carpet exterior multi function elevator platform.  There will be far less families and children on board.

I am not one who cares much for reviews and that rarely sways my thinking, so I won't comment on that.

I have cruised both RCI and Celebrity extensively (including Oasis) and can say that the food quality and variety on Celebrity is better (far better in their buffet), with a higher level of overall service and personal attention than RCI.  When our kids were younger they grew up cruising on RCI - and we still like them and have several cruises planned with them - but now they are adults and we are in your demographics our first choice typically is Celebrity.

We have a Med cruise planned on Edge, so I will admit to a bias with that, however if it were me facing your decision,  that would be my choice between the two.

What kind of price difference are you looking at? I am guessing that Edge well, edges out Oasis for cost. As others have noted, Celebrity is well known for having superior food quality and a more refined level of service as well as overall demographic.  I've only sailed them once and it was all very, very nice, but a bit on the sleepy side for my taste and certainly not worth a higher fare.

I have a teen so kids are intrinsically part of my existence and no bother to me, but yes indeed, they will be all over Oasis during the summer.  Regardless the ship is so immense and so beautiful as to be hard to fully describe or appreciate without experiencing it. My family mostly refuses to eat in the MDR; however were entirely satisfied with several meals in the Windjammer buffet, though of course it is a bit of a madhouse at peak times. 

My kiddo and I preferred the much smaller Solarium Bistro - also a buffet for breakfast and lunch, which was directly up a few flights from our room with seating in the Solarium itself, a truly lovely space, rather underused and under appreciated by many passengers, and therefore rarely busy or chaotic.  To me it felt like an upgraded and exclusive venue without any upcharge. My husband adored the Central Park area including Park Cafe which was often surprisingly quiet onboard a ship with 6,000 of your closest friends. 

I am unable to find fault with Oasis and though typically we look to try new things each vacation, we would all very gladly sail her again.

Thank you so much for your reply - price difference re cruise flights transfers approx €650 which is marginal considering it is the Edge! Will put abut more thought into it before I book but to be honest am edging  towards the Edge. But like the Oasis- decisions decisions!! 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Fun lovin said:

Thank you so much for your reply - price difference re cruise flights transfers approx €650 which is marginal considering it is the Edge! Will put abut more thought into it before I book but to be honest am edging  towards the Edge. But like the Oasis- decisions decisions!! 

They are both good ships and cruise lines - as you can see from my signature, we like them both quite a bit. But they are completely different demographics and cruising styles.  The comparison between the two is apples to oranges - you just need to decide which flavor suits you best for your cruise expectations with this itinerary.  But once you determine that, I doubt that you will be disappointed - either way.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We do lots of rccl cruises and recently did a couple celebrity, did oasis of the seas 4 months ago for first time. Amazing ship ,  so many things to do , aqua show was just great,  great ice show like navigator, jazz club. 

Just to add for clarity, the ice show you refer to on Oasis and Navigator is on all Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class ships in the RCI fleet, or 12 of their 26 ships.  The Aqua Theater is on all 4 Oasis class ships, but not on any other class ship.

Two other pluses on oasis is easy to find chairs by pool, and they have a bar that moves from deck 8 to deck 5 , very unique, it’s just a huge elevator with bartender and waitresses, did that a few times. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, George C said:

Two other pluses on oasis is easy to find chairs by pool, and they have a bar that moves from deck 8 to deck 5 , very unique, it’s just a huge elevator with bartender and waitresses, did that a few times. 

That is "The Rising Tide" bar, which is a large open sided oval shaped platform that holds about 40 -50 people originating in the Royal Promenade and terminating in Central Park.  It rides on four corner post tracks and typically spends about 30 minutes on each of decks 5 & 8, then transits between those two.  It is relaxing and provides an interesting perspective of the Royal Promenade and Central Park.

20 hours ago, Fun lovin said:

You can't go wrong with this decision so it's a fun one. Since you have sailed both lines and have an idea which you prefer, I would say go ahead and jump aboard the Edge.  Brand new ship with lots of novel design elements and public spaces.  Calmer atmosphere, more aligned with, shall we say, a mature customer.  Then you can get on to the even more fun part of exploring your destinations, planning your excursions, booking any desired onboard activities.

You might be a bit surprised that there could be a proportionally high number of children on almost any mainstream cruise during the summer, even Celebrity.  They all market to families to some extent, all have very good little kiddie and older kid clubs with scheduled activities, all have good pool and sport areas for them. The economy has been pretty good of late here in the US and others might be just as interested as yourself in this opportunity to introduce their brood to Europe.  What easier way than aboard a ship? Unpack once, sleep in luxury, awake in a new country.

Oh wow a lot of really good vibes for Oasis - I must say we really did enjoy the Navigator but also loved the Equinox - different feel on both ships - Celeb more sedate in the best possible way - as I said we loved it. Both Oasis and Edge are appealing to us as different class ships to our previous cruises. We have done the Med on both so ports are familiar to us. This time it really is all about the ship. We would like to do the Caribbean but doesn’t suit this year . Thanks to all for their comments really helpful. 

3 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

You can't go wrong with this decision so it's a fun one. Since you have sailed both lines and have an idea which you prefer, I would say go ahead and jump aboard the Edge.  Brand new ship with lots of novel design elements and public spaces.  Calmer atmosphere, more aligned with, shall we say, a mature customer.  Then you can get on to the even more fun part of exploring your destinations, planning your excursions, booking any desired onboard activities.

You might be a bit surprised that there could be a proportionally high number of children on almost any mainstream cruise during the summer, even Celebrity.  They all market to families to some extent, all have very good little kiddie and older kid clubs with scheduled activities, all have good pool and sport areas for them. The economy has been pretty good of late here in the US and others might be just as interested as yourself in this opportunity to introduce their brood to Europe.  What easier way than aboard a ship? Unpack once, sleep in luxury, awake in a new country.

Thank you - yes I think I’m favoring the Edge - it is the price of the guarantee balcony that is pricing it ok at the minute. Need to chat to my TA around the balcony aspect as I really would prefer the regular balcony. Small problems. Thank you again for your advice I like it! Cruising is such a lovely way to holiday - we really hadn’t intended leaving it so long but....hopefully this year! 

If it’s not too late, I recommend the Edge, especially if your cruising without young people in your party. We sailed on the Edge in April and just booked the 10 day Iberian peninsula on the ship again. I love Royal Caribbean and have sailed on the Oasis several times and the Symphony once. They are fabulous ships, but i really liked the Edge more. 

The decor is very pristine and the decor is sophisticated. The food is superior to Royal in my opinion. Service on both ships is great. We even liked the controversial infinity balconies.

As of now Celebrity, at least for the American market, is offering a outstanding promotion. You can choose  all four perks at an outstanding price even if you are in an inside guarantee on certain Edge sailings.

Hi thank you for your response and yes I think I will book the Edge. I know this is what we really want to experience this new ship. Am heading to my TA to discuss my options. When I am engaging here in the board I get so excited just thinking about cruising - bliss!!!

50 minutes ago, Fun lovin said:

Hi thank you for your response and yes I think I will book the Edge. I know this is what we really want to experience this new ship. Am heading to my TA to discuss my options. When I am engaging here in the board I get so excited just thinking about cruising - bliss!!!

Enjoy your cruise!

7 hours ago, Fun lovin said:

Thank you - yes I think I’m favoring the Edge - it is the price of the guarantee balcony that is pricing it ok at the minute. Need to chat to my TA around the balcony aspect as I really would prefer the regular balcony. Small problems. Thank you again for your advice I like it! Cruising is such a lovely way to holiday - we really hadn’t intended leaving it so long but....hopefully this year! 

I think one of the big controversies about the Edge are their oft hyped "Infinity Veranda" cabins.  If you are interested in a balcony make sure you are booking a real balcony (or real balcony guarantee) and not getting sucked into the Infinity Veranda cabins which are akin to what some would call a "French Balcony" which really means no balcony at all.

Hank

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I think one of the big controversies about the Edge are their oft hyped "Infinity Veranda" cabins.  If you are interested in a balcony make sure you are booking a real balcony (or real balcony guarantee) and not getting sucked into the Infinity Veranda cabins which are akin to what some would call a "French Balcony" which really means no balcony at all.

Hank

That is totally incorrect.  The Infinite balconies are the same as any other balcony with the exception that the interior door opens completely across allowing the balcony to become part of the overall room space. The exterior glass at the edge of the balcony lowers electronically to open the space as as with a typical balcony. This door can be closed and access to the balcony then is in the typical manner as with any other balcony stateroom.  And BTW the stateroom sizes are also 23% larger than the normal balcony staterooms on other Celebrity ships.

Here are two links describing it - the first is from the Celebrity website and the second is a Youtube video of a stateroom showing the full functionality of the balcony:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/edge/accommodations/infinite-verandas/

Thank you for that - I suppose one needs to experience them and then decide - videos give a good overview of them 

One thing I do love in celebrity is suite perks which are much nicer than oasis, suite restaurant and lounge are great on celebrity much better than rccl , although oasis has a great view from there restaurant and lounge. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

That is totally incorrect.  The Infinite balconies are the same as any other balcony with the exception that the interior door opens completely across allowing the balcony to become part of the overall room space. The exterior glass at the edge of the balcony lowers electronically to open the space as as with a typical balcony. This door can be closed and access to the balcony then is in the typical manner as with any other balcony stateroom.  And BTW the stateroom sizes are also 23% larger than the normal balcony staterooms on other Celebrity ships.

Well, no, they aren't the same as a regular balcony. The sight lines are better with a standard balcony, which will feel more open to the outside than this new design (which isn't very new since many river cruise ships have been using this design for years due to their being much narrower than an ocean going cruise ship). The Infinte Veranda is like looking out a window, not like looking over a balcony railing. A serious problem with these is that when the window is lowered, the AC is automatically turned off, much like happens on a standard balcony stateroom when the door is open. They do not have a working climate control for the stateroom separate from the balcony area, like a standard balcony.

Another minus is that the captain can, and does, prevent the windows from being lowered depending on weather conditions, or any other reason he may choose. HE has control of whether the window can be opened or not. If it is raining, don't expect to be able to open the window.

Another wacky design decision is the room darkening/privacy shade. Instead of traditional curtains that can be moved to the side, it is a solid panel that rolls down from the ceiling at the touch of a button. To get out to the "railing", the shade must be raised. If someone in the room wants privacy or to sleep in, the shade cannot be raised, and the other occupant cannot enjoy the so-called balcony area. 

AND, the stateroom is only larger when the veranda area is open to the room. If the folding doors are closed to separate the balcony from the stateroom, the square footage is actually less than on Celebrity's older ships.

Basically, it is an oceanview stateroom with a window that can be partially opened - sometimes.  

Edited by SantaFeFan

Gosh these Infinite verandas are certainly a talking point for Celeb - very mixed opinions on them. It would appear to me that it will be a very personal opinion about them whereas a regular balcony everyone loves - even though some question the price difference over ocean view/inside cabin is it worth it- but definitely is if budget will stretch. I think there will be a lot of discussion around the infinite   balcony v  the regular balcony over the coming months - interesting to read after it’s time on the Med. 

12 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

A serious problem with these is that when the window is lowered, the AC is automatically turned off, much like happens on a standard balcony stateroom when the door is open. They do not have a working climate control for the stateroom separate from the balcony area, like a standard balcony.  This would ruin use of this space for my family. My husband would never want the window open unless it were a chilly day outside.  He likes as cold a cabin as possible.

Another minus is that the captain can, and does, prevent the windows from being lowered depending on weather conditions, or any other reason he may choose. HE has control of whether the window can be opened or not. If it is raining, don't expect to be able to open the window.  This would, on the other hand, be irritating to me. Of course we don't want a monsoon blowing in, but of course with a standard balcony you have real walls and doors to shut off the rest of the cabin if you are willing to brave less than perfect conditions.

Another wacky design decision is the room darkening/privacy shade. Instead of traditional curtains that can be moved to the side, it is a solid panel that rolls down from the ceiling at the touch of a button. To get out to the "railing", the shade must be raised. If someone in the room wants privacy or to sleep in, the shade cannot be raised, and the other occupant cannot enjoy the so-called balcony area. Interesting and so weird as to be hard to fully understand without experiencing it, but also sounds like an annoying limitation on how and when the space can be used.

AND, the stateroom is only larger when the veranda area is open to the room. If the folding doors are closed to separate the balcony from the stateroom, the square footage is actually less than on Celebrity's older ships.  Just BOO.  This is a rather expensive ship to have teeny rooms.  It seems rather surprising this idea wasn't tested more thoroughly before committing a large percentage of the staterooms to this design on what should be one of the very best, most innovative new builds afloat.

Basically, it is an oceanview stateroom with a window that can be partially opened - sometimes.  Hmm.  Thanks for the facts.  Very helpful. Makes RC's virtual balconies sound better all the time - haven't experienced those either, but Anthem is out there on the "maybe" list.

Oasis hands down. Harmony even better. Worth every penny you spend.  We have 70 cruises so far and are very knowledgeable about many ships and cruise lines. The EDGE is TERRIBLE at best. Hated the ship from day one and terrible food. A super cold feeling on the ship. Drap at best. The magic carpet is nothing but a gimmick and a joke. I did a super long review for the EDGE go and check it out for an in depth of the ship. NOTHING about the ship was worth anything. Unless you like to be bored out of your mind. Then cruise the EDGE. If you want an excellent cruise, great food, great entertainment. Go with Royal Caribbean. However, ALL the other ships that Celebrity has are excellent. Not the EDGE. It was a major screw up. Now they are building more of them. What are they thinking? I really hope they do all the changes that many are offering to them.